PDA

View Full Version : Re: Being a Considerate Cat Owner

Sylvia M.
July 29th 03, 05:55 PM
Some people have used moth-ball flakes around the forbidden area, but if it
were me, I would check first with my vet.

Sylvia

"bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message
> Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
> unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
> enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person
moved
> in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
> respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with
her
> garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
> what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
> the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
> on me. But other than try and fence little areas in the bushes that they
> sneak through (and they could still just jump onto and over the fence),
I'm
> at a real loss as to what I might do to resolve the situation. I want to
> keep both neighbor and cats happy, but have no idea how I might acheive
> this! Any ideas would be most gratefully received. :)
>
> Ann
>
> P.S. She never actually brought it up, but we had to go and ask her when
we
> saw her out back once if the cats were bothering her or interfering with
her
> garden, and got the answer we'd hoped not to hear! All the more reason I
> wish I could do something about it, because even though she's doesn't
really
> go out of her way to be neighborly to us, she's always been polite and
never
> made the stink that she could have about the cats, so I'd really like to
try
> and show her some consideration in return.

bewtifulfreak
July 29th 03, 09:28 PM
Great ideas about pepper and the box! To be honest, I'm not sure what
they're doing in particular, just that when my hubby said, "I hope the cats
aren't bothering you," and I said, "They're not messing up your garden or
anything, are they?" she just looked sheepish and nodded. So I don't know
if they're chewing, digging, pooping, or what, but the box sure couldn't
hurt, as I know they use their box a *lot* less when they're going outside a
lot (virtually never, unless I don't let them out for a day), so they must
be going somewhere, and her garden is as likely a place as any. I have seen
one of them use our yard, which is a bit of a wasteland at the moment, so it
stands to reason they very well might be using the nice soft soil in hers as
well. And the pepper thing is great, too (similar to the mothballs, except
no question as to toxicity), I'll definitely have to try that! I was also
thinking some kind of extention for our garden wall; before we bought the
place, the landlord replaced the crumbled half of the wall with a fence
(after years of hassle from the previous neighbors, since before we moved
in!), and that's too thin for them to jump on (I *think*), but part of the
remaining wall is low enough for them to jump on and over, and they do, so I
was also thinking maybe something to extend that a bit higher, but not sure
what....but anyway, those other ideas sound really helpful, and will
definitely try them!

Thanks to everyone who responded, what a great bunch.... :)

Ann

Karen Chuplis
July 29th 03, 11:04 PM
"pcb" > wrote in message
> bewtifulfreak wrote:
>
> > ... so I
> > was also thinking maybe something to extend that a bit higher, but not
sure
> > what....but anyway, those other ideas sound really helpful, and will
> > definitely try them!
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who responded, what a great bunch.... :)
> >
> > Ann
> >

> I had something similar to this made in my garden.
> http://www.mainecoonguild.org.uk/Garden_Safety/garden_safety.html
>
> Maybe it will give you some ideas of what you can do in your own garden.
>
> pcb

Nice!

bewtifulfreak
July 29th 03, 11:07 PM
"pcb" > wrote in message

> I had something similar to this made in my garden.
> http://www.mainecoonguild.org.uk/Garden_Safety/garden_safety.html
>
> Maybe it will give you some ideas of what you can do in your own garden.

Another good idea, especially because my spoil sport husband had to go and
mention that, helpful though many of the ideas mentioned have been, the
frequent rains of England could interfere with many of them, while it
doesn't stop the cats going out any (they may hate the idea of baths, but
they sure don't seem to mind the rain)! So, although I'm definitely still
going to try many of the other good ideas suggested - we do get a decent dry
spell in summer - a large enclosure like that might work best in the long
run; not only would it please the neighbor with the garden, but the other
neighbors' dog would probably appreciate not being harassed any more as
well! Only thing is, it looks *terribly* expensive, and we're permanently
broke at the moment, at least until some things get paid off, so that good
idea will have to be filed at the moment for future reference.... :)

Ann

Agua Girl
July 29th 03, 11:41 PM
"bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message
> "pcb" > wrote in message
>
> > I had something similar to this made in my garden.
> > http://www.mainecoonguild.org.uk/Garden_Safety/garden_safety.html
> >
> > Maybe it will give you some ideas of what you can do in your own garden.
>
> Another good idea, especially because my spoil sport husband had to go and
> mention that, helpful though many of the ideas mentioned have been, the
> frequent rains of England could interfere with many of them, while it
> doesn't stop the cats going out any (they may hate the idea of baths, but
> they sure don't seem to mind the rain)! So, although I'm definitely still
> going to try many of the other good ideas suggested - we do get a decent
dry
> spell in summer - a large enclosure like that might work best in the long
> run; not only would it please the neighbor with the garden, but the other
> neighbors' dog would probably appreciate not being harassed any more as
> well! Only thing is, it looks *terribly* expensive, and we're permanently
> broke at the moment, at least until some things get paid off, so that good
> idea will have to be filed at the moment for future reference.... :)

I bet it's not that expensive if done by hubby! What a great fun project
too
and the website was nice enough to provide instructions. I think it looks
wonderful! I don't have a problem with Sasha leaving her yard but I may
do something similar just because I like the looks and it will keep strays
from
harassing Sasha when she plays outside. Print it out, go over it with your
hubby and modify to fit your needs then go down to the local hardware and
price it out. You may be surprised since it doesn't have to be made out of
2x4.

AG

Cheryl
July 30th 03, 01:01 AM
"pcb" > wrote in message

> I had something similar to this made in my garden.
> http://www.mainecoonguild.org.uk/Garden_Safety/garden_safety.html

What a beautiful garden!

July 30th 03, 02:05 AM
http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html
http://www.catfence.com/pictures.htm

This diagram shows you the basic idea
http://www.catfence.com/images/drawing.jpg
Adding a layer of "fencing material" atop
your existing fence that tilts in toward your yard.
Can be done inexpensively as a family project.

Another good pic for the idea
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/backyard.html

Use google, and search.
Cat fencing is common.

"bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message >...
> Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
> unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
> enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person moved
> in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
> respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with her
> garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
> what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
> the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
> on me. But other than try and fence little areas in the bushes that they
> sneak through (and they could still just jump onto and over the fence), I'm
> at a real loss as to what I might do to resolve the situation. I want to
> keep both neighbor and cats happy, but have no idea how I might acheive
> this! Any ideas would be most gratefully received. :)
>
> Ann
>
> P.S. She never actually brought it up, but we had to go and ask her when we
> saw her out back once if the cats were bothering her or interfering with her
> garden, and got the answer we'd hoped not to hear! All the more reason I
> wish I could do something about it, because even though she's doesn't really
> go out of her way to be neighborly to us, she's always been polite and never
> made the stink that she could have about the cats, so I'd really like to try
> and show her some consideration in return.

Karen Chuplis
July 30th 03, 02:27 AM
in article , Cheryl at wrote
on 7/29/03 8:10 PM:

> "bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message
>
> ...only problem is, I don't always know how to do it myself)! In any
>> case, though, I'm more than willing to give it a go....still have to
> budget
>> for the materials, but I suppose they could be aquired bit by
> bit....!
>>
> That's the spirit Ann! That's what I did. I bought the biggest part
> of the enclosure when I could afford it (the mesh material for the
> "walls") and then picked up the other pieces I needed when I could. A
> few 2x4s, some ground spikes, a heavy duty stapler, and then I had
> everything to make it. The insert for my sliding glass door with a
> flap was aquired from someone in the rescue group I volunteer for and
> she only asked for a small monetary donation to the group. Of course
> cat flaps can be gotten cheap depending on how you want to put on in.
> You can even find one that you install right into a screen door or a
> screen window but I see you're in the UK and I don't think you use
> those in all cases. My enclosure is very crudely built but it's
> secure and they love it.
>
> I need to add a picture from the outside, but here is one of my
> kitties enjoying the sun
> http://community.webshots.com/photo/48246898/82978103lvhuIP

I'm so jealous!!!

Karen

The Charming Ones
July 30th 03, 01:05 PM
"bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message
> Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
> unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
> enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person
moved
> in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
> respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with
her
> garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
> what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
> the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
> on me.

Some neighbours are like that. But try this: I actually suggested this to
my other neighbour [nice one] who di the right thing and came and told me
that our cat kept ****ing and it's statring to smell on her air conditioner
unit.
So I suggested use a water bottle and every time they go where they are not
suppose to just squirt them with the water bottle. It worked wonders. ;o)
TT

Dee
July 30th 03, 10:03 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, bewtifulfreak wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > I need to add a picture from the outside, but here is one of my
> > kitties enjoying the sun
> > http://community.webshots.com/photo/48246898/82978103lvhuIP

> Your Shadow's a doll, he looks almost exactly like my Greebo (big ol' black
> boy with teddy bear face)!

Aww Cheryl *hug* !!

I don't usually get to look at everyone's photos because pine doesn't
support links (and I haven't figured out how to cut and paste with the
windows 2000 telnet box), but I had to see Shadow, I feel like he's out
brother! He's just as handsome as can be. I'm looking at your after
hospital pics now, and I feel so bad for both of you. I know just how you
felt. It makes me sad to see the little shaved spot on Shadow's leg, h0p
had them in his front and back legs each more than once the first time,
and has a new one now. It always bothered me that Sunny died with her
front legs shaved like that ...just didn't seem right. Well, hell. that
all got more maudlin than I'd intended! Shadow's awesome, he reminds me
of my Sam :)

Dee

bewtifulfreak
July 30th 03, 10:17 PM
"Dee" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, bewtifulfreak wrote:
>
> > "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> > > I need to add a picture from the outside, but here is one of my
> > > kitties enjoying the sun
> > > http://community.webshots.com/photo/48246898/82978103lvhuIP
>
> > Your Shadow's a doll, he looks almost exactly like my Greebo (big ol'
black
> > boy with teddy bear face)!
>
> Aww Cheryl *hug* !!
>
> I don't usually get to look at everyone's photos because pine doesn't
> support links (and I haven't figured out how to cut and paste with the
> windows 2000 telnet box), but I had to see Shadow, I feel like he's out
> brother! He's just as handsome as can be. I'm looking at your after
> hospital pics now, and I feel so bad for both of you.

Oh, what happened to Shadow, Cheryl? I didn't realize! Is he okay now? I
know how you feel, too, Dee; it was so sad when we had to have our little
Gaspode put to sleep, and he had the little shaved leg where they'd taken
blood or whatever. It just makes them look that much more vulnerable.

Ann

Andy MacAskill
July 30th 03, 10:49 PM
bewtifulfreak wrote:

> Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
> unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
> enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person moved
> in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
> respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with her
> garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
> what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
> the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
> on me. But other than try and fence little areas in the bushes that they
> sneak through (and they could still just jump onto and over the fence), I'm
> at a real loss as to what I might do to resolve the situation. I want to
> keep both neighbor and cats happy, but have no idea how I might acheive
> this! Any ideas would be most gratefully received. :)
>
> Ann
>
> P.S. She never actually brought it up, but we had to go and ask her when we
> saw her out back once if the cats were bothering her or interfering with her
> garden, and got the answer we'd hoped not to hear! All the more reason I
> wish I could do something about it, because even though she's doesn't really
> go out of her way to be neighborly to us, she's always been polite and never
> made the stink that she could have about the cats, so I'd really like to try
> and show her some consideration in return.

Offer to surround the perimeter of her garden with planted onions? (I've
heard it's supposed to keep out wabbits.)

Cheryl
July 30th 03, 11:04 PM
Dee wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, bewtifulfreak wrote:
>
>>> http://community.webshots.com/photo/48246898/82978103lvhuIP
>
>> Your Shadow's a doll, he looks almost exactly like my Greebo (big
>> ol' black boy with teddy bear face)!

I never heard him described that way but you're absolutely right. lol
Actually, years ago when he got his full figure (he was badly
malnourished and skinny as a rail when I took him in) he reminded me
of a bear -- very muscular. Greebo sounds very special, too. :)

> Aww Cheryl *hug* !!
>
> I don't usually get to look at everyone's photos because pine
doesn't
> support links (and I haven't figured out how to cut and paste with
the
> windows 2000 telnet box), but I had to see Shadow, I feel like he's
> out brother! He's just as handsome as can be. I'm looking at your
> after hospital pics now, and I feel so bad for both of you. I know
> just how you felt. It makes me sad to see the little shaved spot on
> Shadow's leg, h0p had them in his front and back legs each more than
> once the first time,

You should have see the ruckus caused by a pic I posted in the binary
group after his liver aspiration and his tummy was shaved. I took a
pic because the vet said to watch out for black spots so I wanted a
record of what it looked like. I called the thread "Shaved Pussy"
;o)

> and has a new one now. It always bothered me that Sunny died with
her
> front legs shaved like that ...just didn't seem right. Well, hell.
> that all got more maudlin than I'd intended! Shadow's awesome, he
> reminds me
> of my Sam :)
>

> Dee

Awww... I'm sure Sunny knew you were doing all you could for her and
her shaved legs were a tribute to that. Poor girl. She's in a better
place now.

Cheryl

bewtifulfreak
July 30th 03, 11:21 PM
"Andy MacAskill" > wrote in message

> Offer to surround the perimeter of her garden with planted onions? (I've
> heard it's supposed to keep out wabbits.)

LOL....I wonder what she'd think of that? At least it would keep our rabbit
out, not that he ever actually goes over there (he only roams the yard a
little when we're sitting out there, and hasn't yet tried venturing into her
garden, not that I'm sure he's found the way yet, or he just might)!

bewtifulfreak
July 30th 03, 11:26 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Dee wrote:

> >> Your Shadow's a doll, he looks almost exactly like my Greebo (big
> >> ol' black boy with teddy bear face)!
> >
> I never heard him described that way but you're absolutely right. lol
> Actually, years ago when he got his full figure (he was badly
> malnourished and skinny as a rail when I took him in) he reminded me
> of a bear -- very muscular. Greebo sounds very special, too. :)

Yeah, both my boys are sweeties....our scanner's bust, but I'll have to
borrow the mother-in-law's soon, and get some pix of them up! My guys are
both huge, but I don't really think of them as muscular, because even though
they're at their ideal weight now - they were a little overweight before -
they still have tummy skin that hangs down and flaps from side-to-side when
they walk (Greebo more so than Crowley, cuz he's just a bit bigger anyway),
which makes my otherwise gorgeous cats look a bit less than regal, LOL!

Ann

Dee
July 31st 03, 01:29 AM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, bewtifulfreak wrote:

> Gaspode put to sleep, and he had the little shaved leg where they'd taken
> blood or whatever. It just makes them look that much more vulnerable.

Aww I'm sorry Ann. That's a decision I haven't had to make yet. Yes
though, the vulnerability, that's exactly it.

Dee

Dee
July 31st 03, 01:39 AM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Cheryl wrote:

> You should have see the ruckus caused by a pic I posted in the binary
> group after his liver aspiration and his tummy was shaved. I took a
> pic because the vet said to watch out for black spots so I wanted a
> record of what it looked like. I called the thread "Shaved Pussy"
> ;o)

Yike! Haha!!! I posted before I got to look at the pics of argh, so
tired, your other cat's name?? Not Bonnie but...*sigh* Anyway, she and
Shadow together look just like Sammy!

> Awww... I'm sure Sunny knew you were doing all you could for her and
> her shaved legs were a tribute to that. Poor girl. She's in a better
> place now.

I wonder if all out little ones that we outlive will be playing together.
I kind of like the thought of that :)

Dee

The Charming Ones
July 31st 03, 12:44 PM
"Andy MacAskill" > wrote in message
> bewtifulfreak wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
> > unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
> > enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person
moved
> > in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
> > respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with
her
> > garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no
idea
> > what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to
discuss
> > the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus
is
> > on me. But other than try and fence little areas in the bushes that
they
> > sneak through (and they could still just jump onto and over the fence),
I'm
> > at a real loss as to what I might do to resolve the situation. I want
> > keep both neighbor and cats happy, but have no idea how I might acheive
> > this! Any ideas would be most gratefully received. :)
> >
> > Ann
> >
> > P.S. She never actually brought it up, but we had to go and ask her when
we
> > saw her out back once if the cats were bothering her or interfering with
her
> > garden, and got the answer we'd hoped not to hear! All the more reason
> > wish I could do something about it, because even though she's doesn't
really
> > go out of her way to be neighborly to us, she's always been polite and
never
> > made the stink that she could have about the cats, so I'd really like to
try
> > and show her some consideration in return.
>
> Offer to surround the perimeter of her garden with planted onions? (I've
> heard it's supposed to keep out wabbits.)

But it's not wabbits she is trying to keep out is it? ;o)

TT

Alain
August 16th 03, 06:49 PM
Try puting mothbals around and in the garden. Also helps keep out ants,
may attract some birds.
Spray some vinegar around the garden.
Use cat repeling spray, may have to try a few brands.
Find some flowers your cat don't like. Plant some around the garden.
Some flowers even help keep away some nasty bugs.
My cat positively *HATE* asterias (that star shaped fruit), it make her
puke! Some slices or some juice may do the trick.
Sprinkle some hot pepper chips or other strong spices in the area. Most
cats don't like spices. Some pepper spray perhap.

Alain

bewtifulfreak nous aporta ses lumieres en ce 2003/07/29 12:33 :

>Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
>unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
>enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person moved
>in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
>respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with her
>garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
>what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
>the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
>on me. But other than try and fence little areas in the bushes that they
>sneak through (and they could still just jump onto and over the fence), I'm
>at a real loss as to what I might do to resolve the situation. I want to
>keep both neighbor and cats happy, but have no idea how I might acheive
>this! Any ideas would be most gratefully received. :)
>
>Ann
>
>P.S. She never actually brought it up, but we had to go and ask her when we
>saw her out back once if the cats were bothering her or interfering with her
>garden, and got the answer we'd hoped not to hear! All the more reason I
>wish I could do something about it, because even though she's doesn't really
>go out of her way to be neighborly to us, she's always been polite and never
>made the stink that she could have about the cats, so I'd really like to try
>and show her some consideration in return.

Nan
August 16th 03, 08:28 PM
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 13:49:51 -0400, Alain >
wrote:

>Try puting mothbals around and in the garden. Also helps keep out ants,
>may attract some birds.
>Spray some vinegar around the garden.
>Use cat repeling spray, may have to try a few brands.
>Find some flowers your cat don't like. Plant some around the garden.
>Some flowers even help keep away some nasty bugs.
>My cat positively *HATE* asterias (that star shaped fruit), it make her
>puke! Some slices or some juice may do the trick.
>Sprinkle some hot pepper chips or other strong spices in the area. Most
>cats don't like spices. Some pepper spray perhap.
>
>Alain

Mothballs are dangerous for cats.

Nan

bewtifulfreak
August 16th 03, 08:56 PM
Nan wrote:

> Mothballs are dangerous for cats.

Yep, you wouldn't want to do that. Other, than that, some good ideas,
though!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

LeeAnne
August 18th 03, 05:57 PM
I think they are also pretty bad for the soil and as far as them attracting
birds, um, I'm not sure about their interest in something like that, however
I do have young grackles in my yard that like to pick up the small stones I
have in my garden area and play w/them.

LeeAnne