PDA

View Full Version : I hope this works

jmcquown[_2_]
December 29th 15, 11:17 PM
If it does, it looks like NIN won't be getting my business next year.
They basically blew my request for help off which is too bad because
they had been so good for so many years.

Hug a kitty! I'll try to catch up if I find out
news.eternal-september.org works (and it looks as if it will!).

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
December 30th 15, 01:41 AM
On 12/29/2015 5:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> If it does, it looks like NIN won't be getting my business next year.
> They basically blew my request for help off which is too bad because
> they had been so good for so many years.
>
> Hug a kitty! I'll try to catch up if I find out
> news.eternal-september.org works (and it looks as if it will!).
>
> Jill
This worked. Your message came through in good shape. What did you use
for this one?

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
December 30th 15, 02:11 AM
On 12/29/2015 8:41 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 12/29/2015 5:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> If it does, it looks like NIN won't be getting my business next year.
>> They basically blew my request for help off which is too bad because
>> they had been so good for so many years.
>>
>> Hug a kitty! I'll try to catch up if I find out
>> news.eternal-september.org works (and it looks as if it will!).
>>
>> Jill
> This worked. Your message came through in good shape. What did you use
> for this one?
>
> MaryL

http://www.eternal-september.org/

Very easy to register for and set up. It doesn't hurt that it's free. :)

I found an article online with step by step instructions. I created a
new newsgroup account on Thunderbird. It did take a minute to access
the server so I could select, subscribe and download this and my other
ngs. But it works!

I am having to recreate all my message filters, though. Trolls and
spammers. Per newsgroup. Good thing I kept notes on how to wipe some
of the trolls out by message ID.

I took a break from all this to have a big play session with Buffy with
the wand toy. She leaped all over the place for a good 15 minutes, me
dangling the little mousie and her leaping and pouncing. (smile)

She's tuckered out. Frankly, so am I. :)

Jill

The New Other Guy
December 30th 15, 02:57 AM
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:11:02 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Very easy to register for and set up. It doesn't hurt that it's free. :)

What's even BETTER is that they filter the large majority of spam and crap
before users ever see it.

jmcquown[_2_]
December 30th 15, 03:04 AM
On 12/29/2015 9:57 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 21:11:02 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Very easy to register for and set up. It doesn't hurt that it's free. :)
>
> What's even BETTER is that they filter the large majority of spam and crap
> before users ever see it.

That's probably true. I did still have to set up my personal message
filters (trolls, mostly) on the new eternal-september account (per
newsgroup). That's no biggie. At least I am able to read and post
again. Yay!

Jill

Christina Websell
January 2nd 16, 08:45 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> If it does, it looks like NIN won't be getting my business next year. They
> basically blew my request for help off which is too bad because they had
> been so good for so many years.
>
> Hug a kitty! I'll try to catch up if I find out
> news.eternal-september.org works (and it looks as if it will!).
>
> Jill

What do you mean? NIN are always perfect to me. what did they say? do bear
in mind that engish isnt their first language

jmcquown[_2_]
January 2nd 16, 10:33 PM
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> If it does, it looks like NIN won't be getting my business next year. They
>> basically blew my request for help off which is too bad because they had
>> been so good for so many years.
>>
>> Hug a kitty! I'll try to catch up if I find out
>> news.eternal-september.org works (and it looks as if it will!).
>>
>> Jill
>
> What do you mean? NIN are always perfect to me. what did they say? do bear
> in mind that engish isnt their first language

I mentioned the language barrier in my original post. This isn't the
first time I've ever had to contact them. They were always very helpful
in the past.

Keep in mind I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working. When
attempting to hit the NIN server Thunderbird would just lock up. I've
been using NIN with Thunderbird for at least four years on this machine.

In my email to NIN Support I outlined step by step *everything* I'd
tried. I used to do software tech support for a living so I know a
little bit about this stuff. :)

The settings were based on their own documentation for configuring NIN
for Thunderbird. The reply I received told me to do all things I'd
already done. Sorry, but that doesn't help me.

When I emailed them again asking please verify which port number I
should be using I didn't get a reply at all. That's when I gave up and
started using eternal-september. Voila! I am able to access newsgroups
again.

Jill

Christina Websell
January 3rd 16, 01:39 AM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/2/2016 3:45 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> If it does, it looks like NIN won't be getting my business next year.
>>> They
>>> basically blew my request for help off which is too bad because they had
>>> been so good for so many years.
>>>
>>> Hug a kitty! I'll try to catch up if I find out
>>> news.eternal-september.org works (and it looks as if it will!).
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> What do you mean? NIN are always perfect to me. what did they say? do
>> bear
>> in mind that engish isnt their first language
>>

> I mentioned the language barrier in my original post. This isn't the
> first time I've ever had to contact them. They were always very helpful
> in the past.
>
> Keep in mind I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working. When
> attempting to hit the NIN server Thunderbird would just lock up. I've
> been using NIN with Thunderbird for at least four years on this machine.
>
> In my email to NIN Support I outlined step by step *everything* I'd tried.
> I used to do software tech support for a living so I know a little bit
> about this stuff. :)
>
> The settings were based on their own documentation for configuring NIN for
> Thunderbird. The reply I received told me to do all things I'd already
> done. Sorry, but that doesn't help me.
>
> When I emailed them again asking please verify which port number I should
> be using I didn't get a reply at all. That's when I gave up and started
> using eternal-september. Voila! I am able to access newsgroups again.
>
> Jill

Wait till you want support. I have never had a problem with NIN.
The problem wih eternal september is it is known for trolls and some people
killfile the whole domain.

jmcquown[_2_]
January 3rd 16, 02:10 AM
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> What do you mean? NIN are always perfect to me. what did they say? do
>>> bear
>>> in mind that engish isnt their first language
>>>

>> I mentioned the language barrier in my original post. This isn't the
>> first time I've ever had to contact them. They were always very helpful
>> in the past.
>>
>> Keep in mind I have no idea why it suddenly stopped working. When
>> attempting to hit the NIN server Thunderbird would just lock up. I've
>> been using NIN with Thunderbird for at least four years on this machine.
>>
>> In my email to NIN Support I outlined step by step *everything* I'd tried.
>> I used to do software tech support for a living so I know a little bit
>> about this stuff. :)
>>
>> The settings were based on their own documentation for configuring NIN for
>> Thunderbird. The reply I received told me to do all things I'd already
>> done. Sorry, but that doesn't help me.
>>
>> When I emailed them again asking please verify which port number I should
>> be using I didn't get a reply at all. That's when I gave up and started
>> using eternal-september. Voila! I am able to access newsgroups again.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Wait till you want support.

There's all kind of support online for eternal-september. I didn't get
a damn bit of support when I emailed NIN.

< I have never had a problem with NIN.

Good for you. I didn't used to have a problem with them either. Now
they don't seem to care. They couldn't even bother to tell me what the
port settings and should be. They ignored my email so I changed to a
different newsgroup provider. Now I'm back being able to read and post.
That's all I wanted.

> The problem wih eternal september is it is known for trolls and some people
> killfile the whole domain.

That might be a problem on your end but it's not on mine. I don't know
why you are having trouble understanding this. It's easy to set message
filters in Thunderbird.

All I know is NIN didn't offer me much in the way of support. Now I am
able to read ngs again and I'm thankful for that.

Jill

Bastette
January 12th 16, 12:42 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> If it does, it looks like NIN won't be getting my business next year.
> They basically blew my request for help off which is too bad because
> they had been so good for so many years.

> Hug a kitty! I'll try to catch up if I find out
> news.eternal-september.org works (and it looks as if it will!).

It works! I've been using it for years.

--
Joyce (catching up on Usenet after being out of the office for a while)

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster