PDA

View Full Version : ancient Chinese domestic cats

Jack Campin
January 25th 16, 06:11 PM
Cats domesticated humans in China 5000 years ago:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160125100118.htm

but they were a different species from the modern domestic cat
(as found everywhere, including China).

Look them up: Prionailurus bengalensis. Pretty little things.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Will in New Haven[_2_]
January 25th 16, 11:11 PM
On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 1:11:35 PM UTC-5, Jack Campin wrote:
> Cats domesticated humans in China 5000 years ago:
>
> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160125100118.htm
>
> but they were a different species from the modern domestic cat
> (as found everywhere, including China).
>
> Look them up: Prionailurus bengalensis. Pretty little things.

Interesting article; thanks for posting it. I have seen leopard cats and they are quite pretty.

--
Will in New Haven

The New Other Guy
January 26th 16, 12:49 AM
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 15:11:24 -0800 (PST), Will in New Haven
> wrote:

>On Monday, January 25, 2016 at 1:11:35 PM UTC-5, Jack Campin wrote:
>> Cats domesticated humans in China 5000 years ago:
>>
>> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160125100118.htm
>>
>> but they were a different species from the modern domestic cat
>> (as found everywhere, including China).
>>
>> Look them up: Prionailurus bengalensis. Pretty little things.
>
>Interesting article; thanks for posting it. I have seen leopard cats and they are quite pretty.

And they DO still exist today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_cat