Jack Campin
April 6th 16, 11:41 PM
....and if not why not?

What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
here been instructed by the management to carry out?

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Cheryl[_5_]
April 7th 16, 12:15 AM
On 2016-04-06 8:11 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
> ...and if not why not?
>
> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
> here been instructed by the management to carry out?

My computer is on a battered wooden desk with drawers. Years ago, when I
first found this piece of furniture left behind in a house I rented,
Mandy (RB), like many cat, liked sitting on the keyboard, so I kept the
top drawer on the left open as an alternate perch. Of course, I put a
small pillow in it to make it more comfortable. Cinnamon doesn't like it
much, but I still have the habit of leaving it ready for her.

--
Cheryl

---

MaryL[_2_]
April 7th 16, 12:52 AM
On 4/6/2016 5:41 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
> ...and if not why not?
>
> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
> here been instructed by the management to carry out?

> e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
> Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
> mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Management in my house requires me to move all my papers to one side so
3 cats can jump onto the table as soon as I sit down to write. So far,
they haven't required a bath mat on the fridge, but they do demand that
most of the bed should be reserved for them.

MaryL

The New Other Guy
April 7th 16, 02:01 AM
On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 23:41:29 +0100, Jack Campin >
wrote:

>...and if not why not?
>
>What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
>here been instructed by the management to carry out?

GLyN only jumped up there once, easily made it from the floor.
After looking around long enough for me to snap a picture, he
left it, and has never tried it again.

But usually, I have things like 2 liter bottles and boxes up there.

Joy[_3_]
April 7th 16, 08:05 AM
On 4/6/2016 6:01 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 23:41:29 +0100, Jack Campin >
> wrote:
>
>> ...and if not why not?
>>
>> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
>> here been instructed by the management to carry out?
>
> GLyN only jumped up there once, easily made it from the floor.
> After looking around long enough for me to snap a picture, he
> left it, and has never tried it again.
>
> But usually, I have things like 2 liter bottles and boxes up there.

I don't think either of mine have ever tried it. There's too much stuff
up there.

The New Other Guy
April 7th 16, 08:46 AM
On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:05:42 -0700, Joy > wrote:

>On 4/6/2016 6:01 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 23:41:29 +0100, Jack Campin >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> ...and if not why not?
>>>
>>> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
>>> here been instructed by the management to carry out?
>>
>> GLyN only jumped up there once, easily made it from the floor.
>> After looking around long enough for me to snap a picture, he
>> left it, and has never tried it again.
>>
>> But usually, I have things like 2 liter bottles and boxes up there.
>
>I don't think either of mine have ever tried it. There's too much stuff
>up there.

I had a cat, MANY years ago, that pretty much lived up there,
and wasn't happy anywhere else. She could get up easily from
other cabinets, and it was tall enough that no one could even
see her if she wasn't up on the front edge.

I think she liked both the heat and very mild vibration.

jmcquown[_2_]
April 7th 16, 02:26 PM
On 4/6/2016 6:41 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
> ...and if not why not?

LOL Buffy, like Persia before her, is not what Jackson Galaxy, cat
behaviourist

http://jacksongalaxy.com/

describes as a "tree dweller". The highest place she wants to be is on
our bed. The "cat tree" I have isn't a tall structure.

> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
> here been instructed by the management to carry out?

I didn't really have to do anything with Buffy, other than to add golf
balls to the cat toys she "inherited". She took right to that tree, the
crackle sack, the steps by the window in the dining room.

Persia was a different story. I'd never been owned by a cat before.
First came kitty toys... lots of them! Then the aforementioned cat
tree, which is just a carpeted cradle on stout wooden legs with a
carpeted barrel on the side. Oh, and Persia had a Drinkwell fountain.
I bought it because she kept sticking her head under the faucet to drink
when I was brushing my teeth. I did get rid of the fountain years
later. I don't know if the new ones are any better but that thing was a
PITA to clean!

Buffy has correctly assumed all the toys, the cat tree (such as it is)
and the crackle sack are hers. :)

Jill

Joy[_3_]
April 7th 16, 07:06 PM
On 4/7/2016 12:46 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 00:05:42 -0700, Joy > wrote:
>
>> On 4/6/2016 6:01 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:

>>> GLyN only jumped up there once, easily made it from the floor.
>>> After looking around long enough for me to snap a picture, he
>>> left it, and has never tried it again.
>>>
>>> But usually, I have things like 2 liter bottles and boxes up there.
>>
>> I don't think either of mine have ever tried it. There's too much stuff
>> up there.
>
> I had a cat, MANY years ago, that pretty much lived up there,
> and wasn't happy anywhere else. She could get up easily from
> other cabinets, and it was tall enough that no one could even
> see her if she wasn't up on the front edge.
>
> I think she liked both the heat and very mild vibration.

I used to have a cat that liked to lie on top of my kitchen stove. That
was back in the days when ovens had a pilot light. When it was chilly,
especially, he'd lie on the flat area in the center, as close to the
back of the stove as he could get. The heat from the pilot light rose
up through the vent, and he got every drop of that heat he could.

Bastette
April 7th 16, 08:49 PM
Joy wrote:

> On 4/7/2016 12:46 AM, The New Other Guy wrote:

>>> I don't think either of mine have ever tried it. There's too much stuff
>>> up there.
>>
>> I had a cat, MANY years ago, that pretty much lived up there,
>> and wasn't happy anywhere else. She could get up easily from
>> other cabinets, and it was tall enough that no one could even
>> see her if she wasn't up on the front edge.
>>
>> I think she liked both the heat and very mild vibration.

> I used to have a cat that liked to lie on top of my kitchen stove. That
> was back in the days when ovens had a pilot light.

Some still do! I have one. And I much prefer that to the "click-click-click"
type of gas stove, which relies on electricity to light the oven burner.
With those, if the power goes out, no stove, no oven. I have electric heat,
so the oven might provide some warmth in case of power outage during the
winter.

> When it was chilly,
> especially, he'd lie on the flat area in the center, as close to the
> back of the stove as he could get. The heat from the pilot light rose
> up through the vent, and he got every drop of that heat he could.

And they're so useful as cat heaters!

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"

Will in New Haven[_2_]
April 8th 16, 04:17 PM
On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 6:41:31 PM UTC-4, Jack Campin wrote:
> ...and if not why not?
>
> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
> here been instructed by the management to carry out?

Not exactly furnishing but Squeakytoy demands that someone drink water just before bed so she can join them. Usually Mickey takes some pills right before bed and Squeaky gets on the table and starts in on the water when Mick is finished. Early on, she would object if Mickey finished the water or picked up the glass to put it away. No one would dare do that now. When Mickey was in the hospital it turned out to be _my_ duty to have a glass of water at bedtime and I was told this in bold, although squeaky, terms. There is always fresh, clean water in the bowl she shares with Samantha ****zu and she drinks that also.

--
Will in New Haven
https://sites.google.com/site/gloryroadrpg/home

jmcquown[_2_]
April 8th 16, 05:00 PM
On 4/8/2016 11:17 AM, Will in New Haven wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 6:41:31 PM UTC-4, Jack Campin wrote:
>> ...and if not why not?
>>
>> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
>> here been instructed by the management to carry out?
>
> Not exactly furnishing but Squeakytoy demands that someone drink water just before bed so she can join them. Usually Mickey takes some pills right before bed and Squeaky gets on the table and starts in on the water when Mick is finished. Early on, she would object if Mickey finished the water or picked up the glass to put it away. No one would dare do that now. When Mickey was in the hospital it turned out to be _my_ duty to have a glass of water at bedtime and I was told this in bold, although squeaky, terms. There is always fresh, clean water in the bowl she shares with Samantha ****zu and she drinks that also.

Cats and water. I learned very early on with Persia (RB 2014) she loved
running water. The bathroom was situated so she could easily step up
from the toilet to the sinkl She wanted to drink from the faucet.

I have no idea where Persia came from. But she sure was a fiend for
running water! She used to perch on the side of the bathtub and yell at
me. You're going to get wet! Yet she'd drink from the faucet. That's
why I bought her the Drinkwell fountain.

Buffy doesn't seem interested in drinking my water. I did just catch
her jumping out of the shower not 10 minutes ago. I'm sure she'd have
been quite freaked out if I'd turned the shower on. LOL

Jill

Will in New Haven[_2_]
April 8th 16, 06:09 PM
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:00:17 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 4/8/2016 11:17 AM, Will in New Haven wrote:
> > On Wednesday, April 6, 2016 at 6:41:31 PM UTC-4, Jack Campin wrote:
> >> ...and if not why not?
> >>
> >> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
> >> here been instructed by the management to carry out?
> >
> > Not exactly furnishing but Squeakytoy demands that someone drink water just before bed so she can join them. Usually Mickey takes some pills right before bed and Squeaky gets on the table and starts in on the water when Mick is finished. Early on, she would object if Mickey finished the water or picked up the glass to put it away. No one would dare do that now. When Mickey was in the hospital it turned out to be _my_ duty to have a glass of water at bedtime and I was told this in bold, although squeaky, terms. There is always fresh, clean water in the bowl she shares with Samantha ****zu and she drinks that also.
> >
> Cats and water. I learned very early on with Persia (RB 2014) she loved
> running water. The bathroom was situated so she could easily step up
> from the toilet to the sinkl She wanted to drink from the faucet.
>
> I have no idea where Persia came from. But she sure was a fiend for
> running water! She used to perch on the side of the bathtub and yell at
> me. You're going to get wet! Yet she'd drink from the faucet. That's
> why I bought her the Drinkwell fountain.
>
> Buffy doesn't seem interested in drinking my water. I did just catch
> her jumping out of the shower not 10 minutes ago. I'm sure she'd have
> been quite freaked out if I'd turned the shower on. LOL

Feather, long ago RB, used to drink from the leaky tap in my bathroom. Eventually, the slumlord did some fixing and one of the things he fixed was that tap. Feather was quite angry and I had to make it leak again to quiet him down.

--
Will in New Haven
https://sites.google.com/site/gloryroadrpg/home

Bastette
April 8th 16, 09:02 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> Cats and water. I learned very early on with Persia (RB 2014) she loved
> running water. The bathroom was situated so she could easily step up
> from the toilet to the sinkl She wanted to drink from the faucet.

> I have no idea where Persia came from. But she sure was a fiend for
> running water!

Aren't most cats? Stagnant water probably isn't a good thing to drink in
the wild.

--
Joyce

God's original plan was to hang out in a garden with some naked
vegetarians.
-- Seen on a wall poster

jmcquown[_2_]
April 8th 16, 10:10 PM
On 4/8/2016 4:02 PM, Bastette wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Cats and water. I learned very early on with Persia (RB 2014) she loved
> > running water. The bathroom was situated so she could easily step up
> > from the toilet to the sinkl She wanted to drink from the faucet.
>
> > I have no idea where Persia came from. But she sure was a fiend for
> > running water!
>
> Aren't most cats? Stagnant water probably isn't a good thing to drink in
> the wild.

True, but Persia was likely abandoned, not wild/feral. She had been
front declawed and spayed so she definitely lived with someone before
she marched into my apartment and said "I live here!" :)

Jill

Jack Campin
April 8th 16, 10:43 PM
jmcquown > wrote:
> On 4/6/2016 6:41 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
> > ...and if not why not?
> LOL Buffy, like Persia before her, is not what Jackson Galaxy,
> cat behaviourist
> http://jacksongalaxy.com/
> describes as a "tree dweller". The highest place she wants to
> be is on our bed. The "cat tree" I have isn't a tall structure.

I think for Ollie and Marblecake, being high up where they can
watch for prey or enemies (rabbits lolloping down the hallway,
snakes emerging from under the kitchen cupboards) is only a
small part of it. Not only is the fridge warm at the top from
heat rising off the exchanger, the ceiling in the kitchen is
lower than the rest of the house - only head-high for a cat on
top of the fridge - and traps warm air. It's the toastiest spot
they can get to.

Chloe doesn't bother. Not only is she very old and not up to
big athletic jumps any more, she's so fluffy she doesn't notice
the cold.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Bastette
April 9th 16, 12:08 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/8/2016 4:02 PM, Bastette wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > Cats and water. I learned very early on with Persia (RB 2014) she loved
>> > running water. The bathroom was situated so she could easily step up
>> > from the toilet to the sinkl She wanted to drink from the faucet.
>>
>> > I have no idea where Persia came from. But she sure was a fiend for
>> > running water!
>>
>> Aren't most cats? Stagnant water probably isn't a good thing to drink in
>> the wild.
>>
> True, but Persia was likely abandoned, not wild/feral. She had been
> front declawed and spayed so she definitely lived with someone before
> she marched into my apartment and said "I live here!" :)

I just meant that most felines probably have a built-in (genetic)
aversion to stagnant water. Come to think of it, a lot of animals
probably don't like it, since stuff grows in it that's not good for
many of us, not just cats.

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene

Cheryl[_3_]
April 10th 16, 01:33 AM
On 4/6/2016 6:41 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
> ...and if not why not?
>
> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
> here been instructed by the management to carry out?

I have a couch that sits along the only living room wall with windows so
I put little cat towers behind it at the right height for
sleeping/looking out the window. This means my couch isn't flush against
the wall.

I have other little cat towers and perches in my bedroom windows because
that spot gets the best sun for the longest time daily. The perch is
very plush, but one of the towers is a bit worn out so I put a toilet
lid cover over it to make it plush.

Do those count? lol

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Cheryl[_3_]
April 10th 16, 01:39 AM
On 4/7/2016 9:26 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I didn't really have to do anything with Buffy, other than to add golf
> balls to the cat toys she "inherited".

I just found these while looking for light-up party favors for our trip
to SC in the summer. These wouldn't be for party favors, they'd be for
the cats.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010PWPSNQ?psc=1

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

jmcquown[_2_]
April 10th 16, 01:52 AM
On 4/9/2016 8:39 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 4/7/2016 9:26 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>> I didn't really have to do anything with Buffy, other than to add golf
>> balls to the cat toys she "inherited".
>
> I just found these while looking for light-up party favors for our trip
> to SC in the summer. These wouldn't be for party favors, they'd be for
> the cats.
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010PWPSNQ?psc=1

Those are fun. But one thing I've noticed is Buffy isn't much
interested in things that light up. I gave the laser pointer to a
friend. She couldn't have cared less about it.

Jill

Cheryl[_3_]
April 10th 16, 02:04 AM
On 4/9/2016 8:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/9/2016 8:39 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 4/7/2016 9:26 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>>
>>> I didn't really have to do anything with Buffy, other than to add golf
>>> balls to the cat toys she "inherited".
>>
>> I just found these while looking for light-up party favors for our trip
>> to SC in the summer. These wouldn't be for party favors, they'd be for
>> the cats.
>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010PWPSNQ?psc=1
>>

> Those are fun. But one thing I've noticed is Buffy isn't much
> interested in things that light up. I gave the laser pointer to a
> friend. She couldn't have cared less about it.
>
> Jill

Even Bonnie likes toys that light up. The only thing that makes me
hesitate is that they'd play with them and then they'd be lost somewhere
only to show up when the batteries have died. lol

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

jmcquown[_2_]
April 10th 16, 02:16 AM
On 4/9/2016 9:04 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 4/9/2016 8:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I just found these while looking for light-up party favors for our trip
>>> to SC in the summer. These wouldn't be for party favors, they'd be for
>>> the cats.
>>> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010PWPSNQ?psc=1
>>>

>> Those are fun. But one thing I've noticed is Buffy isn't much
>> interested in things that light up. I gave the laser pointer to a
>> friend. She couldn't have cared less about it.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Even Bonnie likes toys that light up. The only thing that makes me
> hesitate is that they'd play with them and then they'd be lost somewhere
> only to show up when the batteries have died. lol

A friend gave me a 'hampster in a ball' toy right around the year the
animated movie 'Bolt' debuted. Persia ignored the little roll around
toy so I put it in the closet. I tried it out on Buffy shortly after I
adopted her. Nope, no go.

Battery operated toys are boring. So are things that light up.

Obviously not all cats are the same. :)

You're planning a trip to SC? As someone who lives here, I'd have to
say summer is not the season I'd choose to visit.

Jill

Cheryl[_3_]
April 10th 16, 02:34 AM
On 4/9/2016 9:16 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> You're planning a trip to SC? As someone who lives here, I'd have to
> say summer is not the season I'd choose to visit.

We go down there every summer in August. We all rent condos in Garden
City because it isn't as crowded as Myrtle Beach. We love the warm ocean
water but me personally, I could live without the horrible heat. Though
last year wasn't as bad as previous years. There were temps that were
lower than inland Maryland at the same time. I don't think it even got
into the 90s during our week there.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

MaryL[_2_]
April 10th 16, 07:50 AM
On 4/9/2016 7:33 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 4/6/2016 6:41 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
>> ...and if not why not?
>>
>> What other rearrangements of household furnishings have people
>> here been instructed by the management to carry out?
>>

> I have a couch that sits along the only living room wall with windows so
> I put little cat towers behind it at the right height for
> sleeping/looking out the window. This means my couch isn't flush against
> the wall.
>
> I have other little cat towers and perches in my bedroom windows because
> that spot gets the best sun for the longest time daily. The perch is
> very plush, but one of the towers is a bit worn out so I put a toilet
> lid cover over it to make it plush.
>
> Do those count? lol

Surely those count, especially the toilet lid cover. LOL!

MaryL