Christina Websell
May 25th 16, 06:15 PM
"MaryL" > wrote in message
> On 4/7/2016 2:41 PM, Bastette wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> her

>> > Same here. I hope Boyfie is fine, too.
>>
>> Yes, that's what I'm worried about. Her last post about him had to do
>> with him not seeming well and she was about to take him to the vet. So,
>> purrs for both of them.
>>
> I did not see that message. Now I'm worried about both of them. I hope
> someone will update us if we do not hear from Tweed (but I am hoping for a
> personal message from her to the NG).
>
> MaryL

Sorry if you were worried, Boyfie and myself are both well, although he was
not eating well for a few days, he is fine now. I have a new laptop, but
can't get emails and Usenet on it, I can do facebook rpca on it though,
which is where I am now - all the old rspca-ers are on there.
Haven't forgotten you all, never will, and will pop in now and again on this
old XP machine to say hello

Tweed

MaryL[_2_]
May 25th 16, 09:55 PM
> "MaryL" > wrote in message

>>> her

>>> Yes, that's what I'm worried about. Her last post about him had to do
>>> with him not seeming well and she was about to take him to the vet. So,
>>> purrs for both of them.
>>>
>> I did not see that message. Now I'm worried about both of them. I hope
>> someone will update us if we do not hear from Tweed (but I am hoping for a
>> personal message from her to the NG).
>>
>> MaryL
>
> Sorry if you were worried, Boyfie and myself are both well, although he was
> not eating well for a few days, he is fine now. I have a new laptop, but
> can't get emails and Usenet on it, I can do facebook rpca on it though,
> which is where I am now - all the old rspca-ers are on there.
> Haven't forgotten you all, never will, and will pop in now and again on this
> old XP machine to say hello
>
> Tweed

Thanks for the message. I am so glad to hear that you and Boyfie are
doing well.

I am puzzled about why you can do Facebook but not email and Usenet.
Have you checked with your provider? It seems that any computer should
at least be able to handle emails. Are you able to use Google? That is
an awkward route, but that would be one way to contacts us. And how
about News.Individual.Net? I know you liked that service, and perhaps
they could help. At any rate, you are missed.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
May 26th 16, 06:09 PM
On 5/25/2016 4:55 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 5/25/2016 12:15 PM, Christina Websell wrote:

>>> I did not see that message. Now I'm worried about both of them. I hope
>>> someone will update us if we do not hear from Tweed (but I am hoping
>>> for a
>>> personal message from her to the NG).
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>
>> Sorry if you were worried, Boyfie and myself are both well, although
>> he was
>> not eating well for a few days, he is fine now. I have a new laptop, but
>> can't get emails and Usenet on it, I can do facebook rpca on it though,
>> which is where I am now - all the old rspca-ers are on there.
>> Haven't forgotten you all, never will, and will pop in now and again
>> on this
>> old XP machine to say hello
>>
>> Tweed
>>

> Thanks for the message. I am so glad to hear that you and Boyfie are
> doing well.
>
> I am puzzled about why you can do Facebook but not email and Usenet.
> Have you checked with your provider? It seems that any computer should
> at least be able to handle emails. Are you able to use Google? That is
> an awkward route, but that would be one way to contacts us. And how
> about News.Individual.Net? I know you liked that service, and perhaps
> they could help. At any rate, you are missed.
>
> MaryL

Agreed. I'm glad to hear she and Boyfie are fine. I wonder what that
computer operating system it is that won't allow her to subscribe to a
news server?

Jill

Christina Websell
June 20th 16, 08:01 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/25/2016 4:55 PM, MaryL wrote:

>>> Sorry if you were worried, Boyfie and myself are both well, although
>>> he was
>>> not eating well for a few days, he is fine now. I have a new laptop,
>>> but
>>> can't get emails and Usenet on it, I can do facebook rpca on it though,
>>> which is where I am now - all the old rspca-ers are on there.
>>> Haven't forgotten you all, never will, and will pop in now and again
>>> on this
>>> old XP machine to say hello
>>>
>>> Tweed
>>>

>> Thanks for the message. I am so glad to hear that you and Boyfie are
>> doing well.
>>
>> I am puzzled about why you can do Facebook but not email and Usenet.
>> Have you checked with your provider? It seems that any computer should
>> at least be able to handle emails. Are you able to use Google? That is
>> an awkward route, but that would be one way to contacts us. And how
>> about News.Individual.Net? I know you liked that service, and perhaps
>> they could help. At any rate, you are missed.
>>
>> MaryL
>>
> Agreed. I'm glad to hear she and Boyfie are fine. I wonder what that
> computer operating system it is that won't allow her to subscribe to a
> news server?
>
> Jill

Well, I could have done, but I didn't trust the laptop - which is good as it
got the windows 10 update and then exploded, which is not so good. It's now
in the computer shop, and its not good news. Hard drive is shot. Luckily I
maintained my e-mail and Usenet on here, my old XP desktop. Which cannot do
facebook any more :-( and not much else really. Every time I google it says
"you are using an outdated browser" I can't argue about that, really. And
the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not fine but because
they want us to buy new versions.

Bastette
June 21st 16, 09:10 PM
Christina Websell wrote:

> Jill wrote:

>> Agreed. I'm glad to hear she and Boyfie are fine. I wonder what that
>> computer operating system it is that won't allow her to subscribe to a
>> news server?

> Well, I could have done, but I didn't trust the laptop - which is good as it
> got the windows 10 update and then exploded, which is not so good. It's now
> in the computer shop, and its not good news. Hard drive is shot. Luckily I
> maintained my e-mail and Usenet on here, my old XP desktop. Which cannot do
> facebook any more :-( and not much else really. Every time I google it says
> "you are using an outdated browser" I can't argue about that, really. And
> the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not fine but because
> they want us to buy new versions.

Amen. Everyone thinks I'm some kind of Luddite because I own electronic
gadgets that are more than 3 years old. So because I'm not in lockstep
with the mandate that we must all buy new expensive stuff every couple of
years, people think I'm intimidated by new technology? No, I just choose
to keep using something that is perfectly usable.

I will confess to a certain amount of laziness - there ways I prefer to
use my time other than learning a new device every couple of months. If
we're supposed to upgrade each device every 18 months, I figure that with
all the devices we use, there's always something new to be preoccupied with.
No thanks. It's fun to get a new toy, I can't argue with that. I just don't
need new toys constantly!

So don't call me a technophobe. I'm lazy and cheap, that's all. Those
are flaws I can live with. :)

anything bad to your hard drive? I'm puzzled by that.)

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker

The New Other Guy
June 21st 16, 11:05 PM
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:49:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:
> Download "Never 10." That way if/when
>you feel like it you can *choose* to upgrade. Me, I use Win7 and it
>ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it.

But DON'T forget, the free upgrade to Win10 is ONLY free
until late July.

And it's highly likely that programs will soon become
Win10 or better before they'll install.

The New Other Guy
June 21st 16, 11:07 PM
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 20:10:59 -0000 (UTC), Bastette >
wrote:

> > And the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not fine but because
> > they want us to buy new versions.
>
>Amen.

Actually, the browser upgrades are usually free.

jmcquown[_2_]
June 21st 16, 11:08 PM
On 6/21/2016 6:05 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:49:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>> Download "Never 10." That way if/when
>> you feel like it you can *choose* to upgrade. Me, I use Win7 and it
>> ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it.
>
> But DON'T forget, the free upgrade to Win10 is ONLY free
> until late July.
>
> And it's highly likely that programs will soon become
> Win10 or better before they'll install.

That's true, it's not a true free upgrade. They expect to be paid for
it annually, too, don't they? I don't install new programs on this
machine on a regular basis. I'll worry about that when the time comes.

Jill

The New Other Guy
June 21st 16, 11:56 PM
On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 18:08:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 6/21/2016 6:05 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:49:12 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>> Download "Never 10." That way if/when
>>> you feel like it you can *choose* to upgrade. Me, I use Win7 and it
>>> ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it.
>>
>> But DON'T forget, the free upgrade to Win10 is ONLY free
>> until late July.
>>
>> And it's highly likely that programs will soon become
>> Win10 or better before they'll install.
>>
>That's true, it's not a true free upgrade. They expect to be paid for
>it annually, too, don't they?

Nope.

MaryL[_2_]
June 22nd 16, 01:15 PM
On 6/21/2016 3:10 PM, Bastette wrote:
> Christina Websell wrote:
>
> > Jill wrote:
>
> >> Agreed. I'm glad to hear she and Boyfie are fine. I wonder what that
> >> computer operating system it is that won't allow her to subscribe to a
> >> news server?
>
> > Well, I could have done, but I didn't trust the laptop - which is good as it
> > got the windows 10 update and then exploded, which is not so good. It's now
> > in the computer shop, and its not good news. Hard drive is shot. Luckily I
> > maintained my e-mail and Usenet on here, my old XP desktop. Which cannot do
> > facebook any more :-( and not much else really. Every time I google it says
> > "you are using an outdated browser" I can't argue about that, really. And
> > the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not fine but because
> > they want us to buy new versions.
>
> Amen. Everyone thinks I'm some kind of Luddite because I own electronic
> gadgets that are more than 3 years old. So because I'm not in lockstep
> with the mandate that we must all buy new expensive stuff every couple of
> years, people think I'm intimidated by new technology? No, I just choose
> to keep using something that is perfectly usable.
>
> I will confess to a certain amount of laziness - there ways I prefer to
> use my time other than learning a new device every couple of months. If
> we're supposed to upgrade each device every 18 months, I figure that with
> all the devices we use, there's always something new to be preoccupied with.
> No thanks. It's fun to get a new toy, I can't argue with that. I just don't
> need new toys constantly!
>
> So don't call me a technophobe. I'm lazy and cheap, that's all. Those
> are flaws I can live with. :)

> anything bad to your hard drive? I'm puzzled by that.)

My desktop computer (used most of the time) is 5 years old, and my
laptop is even older. They work fine, and I am not interested in
learning Windows 10. I also don't want to waste money on a new system
when both of these computers (and Win 7) work fine. I know Win 10 is
"free" and Microsoft keeps trying to foist it on us, but I don't want it.

MaryL

MaryL[_2_]
June 22nd 16, 01:21 PM
On 6/21/2016 5:05 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 17:49:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>> Download "Never 10." That way if/when
>> you feel like it you can *choose* to upgrade. Me, I use Win7 and it
>> ain't broke so I'm not going to fix it.
>
> But DON'T forget, the free upgrade to Win10 is ONLY free
> until late July.
>
> And it's highly likely that programs will soon become
> Win10 or better before they'll install.

MS has made that claim for years, every time they come out with a
new/updated browser. However, I have a number of programs that are many
years old, and all of them have continued to work fine through several
versions of MS. There may be some that really won't work, but I have
not encountered any problems.

MaryL

Joy[_3_]
June 22nd 16, 06:23 PM
On 6/22/2016 5:15 AM, MaryL wrote:
> On 6/21/2016 3:10 PM, Bastette wrote:
>> Christina Websell wrote:

>> that
>> to a
>>
>> > Well, I could have done, but I didn't trust the laptop - which is
>> good as it
>> > got the windows 10 update and then exploded, which is not so good.
>> It's now
>> > in the computer shop, and its not good news. Hard drive is shot.
>> Luckily I
>> > maintained my e-mail and Usenet on here, my old XP desktop. Which
>> cannot do
>> > facebook any more :-( and not much else really. Every time I
>> google it says
>> > "you are using an outdated browser" I can't argue about that,
>> really. And
>> > the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not fine
>> but because
>> > they want us to buy new versions.
>>
>> Amen. Everyone thinks I'm some kind of Luddite because I own electronic
>> gadgets that are more than 3 years old. So because I'm not in lockstep
>> with the mandate that we must all buy new expensive stuff every couple of
>> years, people think I'm intimidated by new technology? No, I just choose
>> to keep using something that is perfectly usable.
>>
>> I will confess to a certain amount of laziness - there ways I prefer to
>> use my time other than learning a new device every couple of months. If
>> we're supposed to upgrade each device every 18 months, I figure that with
>> all the devices we use, there's always something new to be preoccupied
>> with.
>> No thanks. It's fun to get a new toy, I can't argue with that. I just
>> don't
>> need new toys constantly!
>>
>> So don't call me a technophobe. I'm lazy and cheap, that's all. Those
>> are flaws I can live with. :)

>> anything bad to your hard drive? I'm puzzled by that.)
>>
> My desktop computer (used most of the time) is 5 years old, and my
> laptop is even older. They work fine, and I am not interested in
> learning Windows 10. I also don't want to waste money on a new system
> when both of these computers (and Win 7) work fine. I know Win 10 is
> "free" and Microsoft keeps trying to foist it on us, but I don't want it.
>
> MaryL

I'm with you!

Bastette
June 22nd 16, 08:47 PM
The New Other Guy wrote:

> Bastette wrote:

>>> And the reason it is outdated is because..not because it's not
>>> fine but because they want us to buy new versions.

>> Amen.

> Actually, the browser upgrades are usually free.

Just to be clear, I didn't write the above, except for the "Amen."

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman