PDA

View Full Version : The mission of a cat ...

Joy[_3_]
January 19th 17, 07:27 PM
is to keep his or her human(s) guessing.

When I got Koala, I had a cat that had to have canned food morning and
evening, in spite of the fact that there's kibble out all the time. He
immediately decided that he had to have it too. A few months ago he
changed his demands to "canned food every morning, and in the evening if
I feel like it". I give him the morning food before I fix my own
breakfast, and I was fixing his evening food before I fixed my dinner
(naturally ;-) ). Then he started not showing up for the evening food,
so now I give it to him only if he comes to the kitchen before or while
I'm fixing my dinner.

Pickles has never shown any interest in the canned food, unless it's
tuna, when she sometimes demands some. Usually when he gets his canned
food, it's time for Pickles to lead me into the living room for some
private petting and skritching. She won't share - if I'm petting her
and Koala comes up for some, she walks away. Lately she has
occasionally decided that she would rather have the canned food for the
petting and skritching. She would indicate that by shoving Koala away
from the dish and eating the food herself, so I started giving her a
little dish of it when I fed him. For a while, she wanted it every day,
then just once in a while.

She hasn't asked for the food for some time. However, this morning when
I fed Koala, instead of following me into the living room, she stood and
watched Koala eat. When I came back from the living room, she was
eating and Koala was watching. I fixed another dish of food and put it
down. She immediately left the room, and Koala ate that food too.

John Kasupski
January 19th 17, 09:58 PM
OK, I hope I'm not breaking any taboos here, because I don't think I've seen
anyone post a link to a YouTube video here before now. I'm pretty confident
you'll be able to view this since the user-agent string in the header info on
your posts shows me this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.6.0

That stuff in parentheses indicates a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (or Windows
Server 2008, but the kernel is pretty much the same either way), and therefore
it's reasonable to presume that you have a fairly capable computer, Furthermore,
the domain name (dslextreme.com) suggests you're probably not on an internet
connection that's too slow for this. That being the case, I hope you'll enjoy
this video of two cats sharing a bowl of milk in a rather comical manner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7oEakY0tU

No offense intended by all that technical stuff, Joy,..but there are still some
people out who can't watch videos online because the're using older computers
aren't up to it, and sometimes they get a little touchy if you offer a link to a
video, so I check header info first.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

The New Other Guy
January 19th 17, 10:11 PM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:58:52 -0500, John Kasupski > wrote:

>No offense intended by all that technical stuff, Joy,..but there are still some
>people out who can't watch videos online because the're using older computers
>aren't up to it, and sometimes they get a little touchy if you offer a link to a
>video,

There are people who THINK they can't do things, but haven't tied in the
last 10 years, and there are (AND always will be) those who bitch and
whine about anything they don't like, so to survive in Usenet, you need
to develop a think skin, and ignore the trolls and a&^holes.

That ESPECIALLY goes in the food group that you're already aware of.

Even GLyN (Gato Loco y Negro) knows THAT.

jmcquown[_2_]
January 19th 17, 11:28 PM
On 1/19/2017 4:58 PM, John Kasupski wrote:

> OK, I hope I'm not breaking any taboos here, because I don't think I've seen
> anyone post a link to a YouTube video here before now. I'm pretty confident
> you'll be able to view
(snippage)

> this video of two cats sharing a bowl of milk in a rather comical manner:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7oEakY0tU
>
> No offense intended by all that technical stuff, Joy,..but there are still some
> people out who can't watch videos online because the're using older computers
> aren't up to it, and sometimes they get a little touchy if you offer a link to a
> video, so I check header info first.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

I doubt anyone here is going to get touchy about it. It was a cute
video. :)

Jill

Joy[_3_]
January 20th 17, 12:43 AM
On 1/19/2017 1:58 PM, John Kasupski wrote:

> OK, I hope I'm not breaking any taboos here, because I don't think I've seen
> anyone post a link to a YouTube video here before now. I'm pretty confident
> you'll be able to view this since the user-agent string in the header info on
> your posts shows me this:
>
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/45.6.0
>
> That stuff in parentheses indicates a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (or Windows
> Server 2008, but the kernel is pretty much the same either way), and therefore
> it's reasonable to presume that you have a fairly capable computer, Furthermore,
> the domain name (dslextreme.com) suggests you're probably not on an internet
> connection that's too slow for this. That being the case, I hope you'll enjoy
> this video of two cats sharing a bowl of milk in a rather comical manner:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7oEakY0tU
>
> No offense intended by all that technical stuff, Joy,..but there are still some
> people out who can't watch videos online because the're using older computers
> aren't up to it, and sometimes they get a little touchy if you offer a link to a
> video, so I check header info first.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

Thank you, John. I laughed for almost the entire three minutes. The
larger, spotted cat was definitely the more polite of the two.

No offense taken. The amount I understand about computers and their ilk
is minute compared to what there is to understand. I frequently refer
to my son or son-in-law for instruction, since they are both software
engineers.

You definitely weren't breaking any taboos, and I enjoyed the video
thoroughly.

Joy[_3_]
January 20th 17, 12:44 AM
On 1/19/2017 2:11 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 16:58:52 -0500, John Kasupski > wrote:
>
>> No offense intended by all that technical stuff, Joy,..but there are still some
>> people out who can't watch videos online because the're using older computers
>> aren't up to it, and sometimes they get a little touchy if you offer a link to a
>> video,
>
> There are people who THINK they can't do things, but haven't tied in the
> last 10 years, and there are (AND always will be) those who bitch and
> whine about anything they don't like, so to survive in Usenet, you need
> to develop a think skin, and ignore the trolls and a&^holes.
>
> That ESPECIALLY goes in the food group that you're already aware of.
>
> Even GLyN (Gato Loco y Negro) knows THAT.

Thank you for explaining GLyN's name. I've often wondered about it.

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 12:50 AM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:11:44 -0800, The New Other Guy >
wrote:

>There are people who THINK they can't do things, but haven't tied in the
>last 10 years, and there are (AND always will be) those who bitch and
>whine about anything they don't like, so to survive in Usenet, you need
>to develop a think skin, and ignore the trolls and a&^holes.
>
>That ESPECIALLY goes in the food group that you're already aware of.
>
>Even GLyN (Gato Loco y Negro) knows THAT.

I know that too. I have been active on Usenet for more than ten years and know
all about trolls and other commonly encountered annoyances, and how to deal with
them. That's one reason I learned to read header info to begin with. ;-)

I don't think Joy - or Jill, who is in that food group and who I know already
looked at that video - are any of those things, so it doesn't hurt to be
considerate, especially since I'm new to this group and would prefer for the
regulars to consider me a welcome addition to this NG and not somebody they'd
just as soon had stayed away.

Gato Loco y Negro - crazy black cat? I didn't take Spanish in school, so most of
my understanding of Spanish came from the Hispanic woman next door, and that's
all been verbal, not in print.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Joy[_3_]
January 20th 17, 12:59 AM
On 1/19/2017 4:50 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:11:44 -0800, The New Other Guy >
> wrote:
>
>> There are people who THINK they can't do things, but haven't tied in the
>> last 10 years, and there are (AND always will be) those who bitch and
>> whine about anything they don't like, so to survive in Usenet, you need
>> to develop a think skin, and ignore the trolls and a&^holes.
>>
>> That ESPECIALLY goes in the food group that you're already aware of.
>>
>> Even GLyN (Gato Loco y Negro) knows THAT.
>
> I know that too. I have been active on Usenet for more than ten years and know
> all about trolls and other commonly encountered annoyances, and how to deal with
> them. That's one reason I learned to read header info to begin with. ;-)
>
> I don't think Joy - or Jill, who is in that food group and who I know already
> looked at that video - are any of those things, so it doesn't hurt to be
> considerate, especially since I'm new to this group and would prefer for the
> regulars to consider me a welcome addition to this NG and not somebody they'd
> just as soon had stayed away.
>
> Gato Loco y Negro - crazy black cat? I didn't take Spanish in school, so most of
> my understanding of Spanish came from the Hispanic woman next door, and that's
> all been verbal, not in print.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

I did take Spanish in school, and I'd say your neighbor is a good
teacher. That translation is right on.

Joy

Bastette
January 20th 17, 01:52 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/19/2017 4:58 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
>>
>> OK, I hope I'm not breaking any taboos here, because I don't think I've seen
>> anyone post a link to a YouTube video here before now. I'm pretty confident
>> you'll be able to view
> (snippage)

>> this video of two cats sharing a bowl of milk in a rather comical manner:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7oEakY0tU
>>
>> No offense intended by all that technical stuff, Joy,..but there are still some
>> people out who can't watch videos online because the're using older computers
>> aren't up to it, and sometimes they get a little touchy if you offer a link to a
>> video, so I check header info first.
>>
>> John D. Kasupski
>> Niagara Falls, NY
>>
> I doubt anyone here is going to get touchy about it. It was a cute
> video. :)

And people post videos here a lot, so no problem!

Joyce

--
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing
that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."

Bastette
January 20th 17, 01:55 AM
Joy wrote:

> No offense taken. The amount I understand about computers and their ilk
> is minute compared to what there is to understand. I frequently refer
> to my son or son-in-law for instruction, since they are both software
> engineers.

Joy, there's so much information about computers to know and understand,
that the amount I know is also minute compared to what there is to know,
and I've worked in the software industry since the early 80s! You can't
possibly know it all, it's too vast.

Joyce

--
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing
that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
-- A. Einstein

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 02:06 AM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:28:10 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>I doubt anyone here is going to get touchy about it. It was a cute
>video. :)

There's another one out there in which they're doing the same thing with a bowl
of food and a much more contentious catitude, but that's buried somewhere in the
middle of someone's half-hour long compilation and could take me hours to find
again. However, Minnie does sometimes like to sit here and watch them with me,
so if we happen upon it again, I'll post the URL here.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
January 20th 17, 02:31 AM
On 1/19/2017 7:50 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 14:11:44 -0800, The New Other Guy >
> wrote:
>
>> There are people who THINK they can't do things, but haven't tied in the
>> last 10 years, and there are (AND always will be) those who bitch and
>> whine about anything they don't like, so to survive in Usenet, you need
>> to develop a think skin, and ignore the trolls and a&^holes.
>>
>> That ESPECIALLY goes in the food group that you're already aware of.
>>
>> Even GLyN (Gato Loco y Negro) knows THAT.
>
> I know that too. I have been active on Usenet for more than ten years and know
> all about trolls and other commonly encountered annoyances, and how to deal with
> them. That's one reason I learned to read header info to begin with. ;-)
>
> I don't think Joy - or Jill, who is in that food group and who I know already
> looked at that video - are any of those things, so it doesn't hurt to be
> considerate, especially since I'm new to this group and would prefer for the
> regulars to consider me a welcome addition to this NG and not somebody they'd
> just as soon had stayed away.

Absolutely. Until and unless you or any other poster says or does
anything to make me want to killfile you... welcome. :) You love your
cat Minnie, I can tell that. So hey, keep telling us about her. I love
these kitten stories.

The youngest cat I had was well past kitten stage, Persia was 2 or 3
according to the vet. Buffy is about 7 years old. I've never had a
"kitten".

> Gato Loco y Negro - crazy black cat? I didn't take Spanish in school, so most of
> my understanding of Spanish came from the Hispanic woman next door, and that's
> all been verbal, not in print.

I took Spanish in school and the only things I learned was how to ask
where is the library and where is the bathroom. Neither of those
phrases ever helped me. LOL

> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 03:39 AM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:31:01 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>The youngest cat I had was well past kitten stage, Persia was 2 or 3
>according to the vet. Buffy is about 7 years old. I've never had a
>"kitten".

OMG...if you think adult cats are cute, you're really missing out on something
until you experience one during kittenhood. There's just something about them
that even people who don't like cats can't resist a kitten - they see one and
they just HAVE to go, "Awwww..."

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
January 20th 17, 04:21 AM
On 1/19/2017 10:39 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:31:01 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> The youngest cat I had was well past kitten stage, Persia was 2 or 3
>> according to the vet. Buffy is about 7 years old. I've never had a
>> "kitten".
>
> OMG...if you think adult cats are cute, you're really missing out on something
> until you experience one during kittenhood. There's just something about them
> that even people who don't like cats can't resist a kitten - they see one and
> they just HAVE to go, "Awwww..."
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

I never said I didn't say "awwww :) " when I see a kitten.

Jill

Joy[_3_]
January 20th 17, 07:01 AM
On 1/19/2017 5:55 PM, Bastette wrote:
> Joy wrote:
>
> > No offense taken. The amount I understand about computers and their ilk
> > is minute compared to what there is to understand. I frequently refer
> > to my son or son-in-law for instruction, since they are both software
> > engineers.
>
> Joy, there's so much information about computers to know and understand,
> that the amount I know is also minute compared to what there is to know,
> and I've worked in the software industry since the early 80s! You can't
> possibly know it all, it's too vast.
>
> Joyce

Right. And I don't want to know it all. I just want to know how to do
what I want to do, when I want to do it. Also, at 81, I don't learn new
things as quickly as I used to, or remember them as well.

joy

Joy[_3_]
January 20th 17, 07:02 AM
On 1/19/2017 6:06 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:28:10 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I doubt anyone here is going to get touchy about it. It was a cute
>> video. :)
>
> There's another one out there in which they're doing the same thing with a bowl
> of food and a much more contentious catitude, but that's buried somewhere in the
> middle of someone's half-hour long compilation and could take me hours to find
> again. However, Minnie does sometimes like to sit here and watch them with me,
> so if we happen upon it again, I'll post the URL here.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

I have a couple of oval shaped dishes about six or seven inches long
that I alternate for serving the canned food. I chop up the food and
spread it out on the dish. A few times Pickles has wanted only a little
bit, and I've seen them both eating out of the same dish, at opposite
ends of the dish.

Joy

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 05:07 PM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:21:29 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>On 1/19/2017 10:39 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:31:01 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> I've never had a "kitten".
>>
>> OMG...if you think adult cats are cute, you're really missing out on something
>> until you experience one during kittenhood. There's just something about them
>> that even people who don't like cats can't resist a kitten - they see one and
>> they just HAVE to go, "Awwww..."
>>
>I never said I didn't say "awwww :) " when I see a kitten.

Given what's in the quoted material above, I'm tempted to tell you not to have a
kitten about it - but I wouldn't want you to take that comment the wrong way, so
I'll just point out that I never accused you of saying any such thing <grin>.

Kittens are the same cuteness we see in adult cats, but on steroids. Even if
everything the kitten does is something you've seen an adult cat do half a
million times before, it's still different, because to the kitten, everything is
new - including you - and whether she's reaching out to bat your cell phone out
of your hand or grabbing for the shoelace you dangle a few inches above her
head, she'll eventually show you she's really even more interested in you than
she is in the object she's reaching for.

American poet Ogden Nash wrote, "The trouble with a kitten is that eventually it
becomes a cat." For those of us who love cats, that's no trouble at all.

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 05:25 PM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:02:46 -0800, Joy > wrote:

>I have a couple of oval shaped dishes about six or seven inches long
>that I alternate for serving the canned food. I chop up the food and
>spread it out on the dish. A few times Pickles has wanted only a little
>bit, and I've seen them both eating out of the same dish, at opposite
>ends of the dish.

I've seen another video where there are two cats eating out one of those plastic
pet dishes that consists of two round bowls, one for food and one for water, and
they're sliding it back and forth much the same way. One looks like a Siamese
and the other is totally different. At one point a third cat - another Siamese a
bit smaller than the other one - walks up and gets a quick drink from the water
side before rapidly disappearing from the frame as if trying to get out of there
without getting involved what the other two cats are up to.

A friend of mine used to feed her two cats using one of those bowls, putting
half the food in each of the two sides, and keeping a separate bowl nearby for
water. Those two would do pretty much what you described your two doing.

Meanwhile, on the floor below, her two dogs would sit there staring up at them
as if thunderstruck by the sacrilege they were witnessing...

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 05:54 PM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 23:01:02 -0800, Joy > wrote:

>Also, at 81, I don't learn new
>things as quickly as I used to, or remember them as well.

I'm still a few weeks shy of 59 and I already have that...much to the chagrin of
my cat, who seems to think I'm doing it on purpose just to make her work that
much harder to get me properly trained.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY