PDA

View Full Version : Marlo is hyperthyroid

dgk
May 26th 17, 04:37 AM
She's been living with mom for the last few months and has been on a
diet (since she was overweight).. But for the last two months or so,
we knew she had dropped a lot of weight so we've pretty much been
feeding her everything she wants, chicken, steak, lamb chops, salmon,
well, essentially anything we've been eating. She loves it all.

And she's always hungry. I should have realized what was going on.
Last week she pooped on the rug, pretty runny, and very unusual. So
off we went to the vet and it turns out that she's hyperthyroid. So
she's on medication now. She's 13 and we don't want to do surgery or
radiation, so we'll try the meds for a while and see how it works.

One more odd thing. She apparently peed outside of her litterbox.
because there is a wet spot on the carpet. She's still using the
litterbox a lot, but that spot doesn't seem to dry off. I'll get some
nature's miracle and see if that helps.

Joy[_3_]
May 26th 17, 07:17 AM
On 5/25/2017 8:37 PM, dgk wrote:
> She's been living with mom for the last few months and has been on a
> diet (since she was overweight).. But for the last two months or so,
> we knew she had dropped a lot of weight so we've pretty much been
> feeding her everything she wants, chicken, steak, lamb chops, salmon,
> well, essentially anything we've been eating. She loves it all.
>
> And she's always hungry. I should have realized what was going on.
> Last week she pooped on the rug, pretty runny, and very unusual. So
> off we went to the vet and it turns out that she's hyperthyroid. So
> she's on medication now. She's 13 and we don't want to do surgery or
> radiation, so we'll try the meds for a while and see how it works.
>
> One more odd thing. She apparently peed outside of her litterbox.
> because there is a wet spot on the carpet. She's still using the
> litterbox a lot, but that spot doesn't seem to dry off. I'll get some
> nature's miracle and see if that helps.

I'm sorry to hear she's having problems. I hope the meds help.

jmcquown[_2_]
May 26th 17, 10:29 AM
On 5/26/2017 2:17 AM, Joy wrote:
> On 5/25/2017 8:37 PM, dgk wrote:
>> She's been living with mom for the last few months and has been on a
>> diet (since she was overweight).. But for the last two months or so,
>> we knew she had dropped a lot of weight so we've pretty much been
>> feeding her everything she wants, chicken, steak, lamb chops, salmon,
>> well, essentially anything we've been eating. She loves it all.
>>
>> And she's always hungry. I should have realized what was going on.
>> Last week she pooped on the rug, pretty runny, and very unusual. So
>> off we went to the vet and it turns out that she's hyperthyroid. So
>> she's on medication now. She's 13 and we don't want to do surgery or
>> radiation, so we'll try the meds for a while and see how it works.
>>
>> One more odd thing. She apparently peed outside of her litterbox.
>> because there is a wet spot on the carpet. She's still using the
>> litterbox a lot, but that spot doesn't seem to dry off. I'll get some
>> nature's miracle and see if that helps.
>>

> I'm sorry to hear she's having problems. I hope the meds help.

I'm sorry to hear it, too. I'm sure the meds will help. At least Marlo
isn't allergic to the medication like Persia was. The radioactive
isotope treatment was really the only option for her.

Jill

dgk
May 26th 17, 01:49 PM
On Fri, 26 May 2017 05:29:26 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/26/2017 2:17 AM, Joy wrote:
>> On 5/25/2017 8:37 PM, dgk wrote:
>>> She's been living with mom for the last few months and has been on a
>>> diet (since she was overweight).. But for the last two months or so,
>>> we knew she had dropped a lot of weight so we've pretty much been
>>> feeding her everything she wants, chicken, steak, lamb chops, salmon,
>>> well, essentially anything we've been eating. She loves it all.
>>>
>>> And she's always hungry. I should have realized what was going on.
>>> Last week she pooped on the rug, pretty runny, and very unusual. So
>>> off we went to the vet and it turns out that she's hyperthyroid. So
>>> she's on medication now. She's 13 and we don't want to do surgery or
>>> radiation, so we'll try the meds for a while and see how it works.
>>>
>>> One more odd thing. She apparently peed outside of her litterbox.
>>> because there is a wet spot on the carpet. She's still using the
>>> litterbox a lot, but that spot doesn't seem to dry off. I'll get some
>>> nature's miracle and see if that helps.
>>>

>> I'm sorry to hear she's having problems. I hope the meds help.
>
>I'm sorry to hear it, too. I'm sure the meds will help. At least Marlo
>isn't allergic to the medication like Persia was. The radioactive
>isotope treatment was really the only option for her.
>
>Jill

And mom is worried that we're all going away in August and that Marlo
will be alone for a week. Someone will feed her of course, but mom is
worried anyway. So am I of course. I'll be way for two weeks at the
end of June so of couse I worry about the cats.

I guess that you've all read the Onion article:

http://www.theonion.com/article/vacationing-woman-thinks-cats-miss-her-463

Joy[_3_]
May 26th 17, 07:40 PM
On 5/26/2017 5:49 AM, dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2017 05:29:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry to hear she's having problems. I hope the meds help.
>>
>> I'm sorry to hear it, too. I'm sure the meds will help. At least Marlo
>> isn't allergic to the medication like Persia was. The radioactive
>> isotope treatment was really the only option for her.
>>
>> Jill
>
> And mom is worried that we're all going away in August and that Marlo
> will be alone for a week. Someone will feed her of course, but mom is
> worried anyway. So am I of course. I'll be way for two weeks at the
> end of June so of couse I worry about the cats.
>
> I guess that you've all read the Onion article:
>
> http://www.theonion.com/article/vacationing-woman-thinks-cats-miss-her-463

Well, that article raised my blood pressure by a few points. What bosh!
Of course our cats miss us. I don't think they grieve the way dogs
do, but they definitely miss us.

Joy[_3_]
May 29th 17, 12:27 AM
On 5/28/2017 12:51 AM, wrote:
> On Fri, 26 May 2017 08:49:22 -0400, dgk > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 May 2017 05:29:26 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I'm sorry to hear it, too. I'm sure the meds will help. At least Marlo
>>> isn't allergic to the medication like Persia was. The radioactive
>>> isotope treatment was really the only option for her.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> And mom is worried that we're all going away in August and that Marlo
>> will be alone for a week. Someone will feed her of course, but mom is
>> worried anyway. So am I of course. I'll be way for two weeks at the
>> end of June so of couse I worry about the cats.
>>
>> I guess that you've all read the Onion article:
>>
>> http://www.theonion.com/article/vacationing-woman-thinks-cats-miss-her-463
>
> Whomever wrote this crap doesn't know anything about cats!

That's not exactly how I'd put it, but I agree.

dgk
May 29th 17, 03:42 AM
On Sun, 28 May 2017 17:09:53 -0700, The Newest Other Guy
> wrote:

>>> Whomever wrote this crap doesn't know anything about cats!
>>>

>>That's not exactly how I'd put it, but I agree.
>
>The Onion IS a satire (aka fake) site.

I thought everyone knew that - but they know now. Yes, it's a fake
article, and seen in that light, it's very funny. I've never cancelled
a vacation because of the cats, but I'd probably be going away more
often if it weren't that I hate leaving them.

I'm pretty much retired and I have to force myself to take a trip.

cshenk
May 29th 17, 06:31 PM
Joy wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> On 5/26/2017 5:49 AM, dgk wrote:
> > On Fri, 26 May 2017 05:29:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> > > I'm sorry to hear it, too. I'm sure the meds will help. At
> > > least Marlo isn't allergic to the medication like Persia was.
> > > The radioactive isotope treatment was really the only option for
> > > her.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > And mom is worried that we're all going away in August and that
> > Marlo will be alone for a week. Someone will feed her of course,
> > but mom is worried anyway. So am I of course. I'll be way for two
> > weeks at the end of June so of couse I worry about the cats.
> >
> > I guess that you've all read the Onion article:
> >
> > http://www.theonion.com/article/vacationing-woman-thinks-cats-miss-h
> > er-463
> >

> Well, that article raised my blood pressure by a few points. What
> bosh! Of course our cats miss us. I don't think they grieve the
> way dogs do, but they definitely miss us.

You do know the Onion is a site that posts fake tounge in cheek stuff
to make fun and shock folks right?

--

Joy[_3_]
May 29th 17, 07:45 PM
On 5/29/2017 10:31 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Joy wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:
>
>> On 5/26/2017 5:49 AM, dgk wrote:

>>> And mom is worried that we're all going away in August and that
>>> Marlo will be alone for a week. Someone will feed her of course,
>>> but mom is worried anyway. So am I of course. I'll be way for two
>>> weeks at the end of June so of couse I worry about the cats.
>>>
>>> I guess that you've all read the Onion article:
>>>
>>> http://www.theonion.com/article/vacationing-woman-thinks-cats-miss-h
>>> er-463
>>>

>> Well, that article raised my blood pressure by a few points. What
>> bosh! Of course our cats miss us. I don't think they grieve the
>> way dogs do, but they definitely miss us.
>
> You do know the Onion is a site that posts fake tounge in cheek stuff
> to make fun and shock folks right?

I didn't realize it was the Onion.

cshenk
May 29th 17, 09:03 PM
Joy wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> On 5/29/2017 10:31 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Joy wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> > > Well, that article raised my blood pressure by a few points. What
> > > bosh! Of course our cats miss us. I don't think they grieve the
> > > way dogs do, but they definitely miss us.
> >
> > You do know the Onion is a site that posts fake tounge in cheek
> > stuff to make fun and shock folks right?
> >

> I didn't realize it was the Onion.

Not to worry, happened to many of us the first time.

--

Jack Campin
May 29th 17, 10:04 PM
>>> You do know the Onion is a site that posts fake tongue
>>> in cheek stuff to make fun and shock folks right?
>> I didn't realize it was the Onion.
> Not to worry, happened to many of us the first time.

....but since Trump came along you're more likely to get fooled
while reading the New York Times or Wall Street Journal when you
think *they* are the Onion.

mobile 07895 860 060 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Joy[_3_]
May 29th 17, 11:28 PM
On 5/29/2017 2:04 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
>>> I didn't realize it was the Onion.
>> Not to worry, happened to many of us the first time.
>
> ...but since Trump came along you're more likely to get fooled
> while reading the New York Times or Wall Street Journal when you
> think *they* are the Onion.

> e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
> Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
> mobile 07895 860 060 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Fake news?