PDA

View Full Version : Drinking from toilet

July 2nd 03, 06:37 PM
Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.

He does have some weird drinking habits. In the morning when
he's let out, he licks dew off the grass. It's rather cute to see.
If I can get organized, I'll take some pictures.

But this toilet bit has me somewhat annoyed. We usually keep
the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
there!

Anybody else? Any ideas why?

TIA

-

Polar

Yngver
July 2nd 03, 09:01 PM
Priscilla H Ballou wrote:

>"Found" water or "wild" water (the latter is water in motion) is always
>tastier than that captive tame stuff we provide in bowls. It's just a
>fact of feline life.

One of our cats will drink water from anything but a bowl. A puddle on the
patio is much tastier than "tame" water, as you say. Imagine her delight when
she discovered that snow is just cold water.

If one of us is drinking water from a glass or cup, she must have some. When I
take a bath, she sits on the side of the tub and I have to run some water in my
hand for her to taste. I've known cats to drink water from odd sources but this
cat takes the cake. We are careful to keep the toilet lids down, however.

Yngver
July 2nd 03, 09:01 PM
Priscilla H Ballou wrote:

>"Found" water or "wild" water (the latter is water in motion) is always
>tastier than that captive tame stuff we provide in bowls. It's just a
>fact of feline life.

One of our cats will drink water from anything but a bowl. A puddle on the
patio is much tastier than "tame" water, as you say. Imagine her delight when
she discovered that snow is just cold water.

If one of us is drinking water from a glass or cup, she must have some. When I
take a bath, she sits on the side of the tub and I have to run some water in my
hand for her to taste. I've known cats to drink water from odd sources but this
cat takes the cake. We are careful to keep the toilet lids down, however.

Hilden Pickering
July 2nd 03, 09:24 PM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:37:24 GMT, wrote:

> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
>He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.
>
> He does have some weird drinking habits. In the morning when
>he's let out, he licks dew off the grass. It's rather cute to see.
>If I can get organized, I'll take some pictures.
>
> But this toilet bit has me somewhat annoyed. We usually keep
>the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
>there!
>
> Anybody else? Any ideas why?
>
>TIA
>
>-
>
>Polar

All mine do it. They have long whiskers so I guess the bowl is wide enough that
it doesn't bother them. The big boys taught my little one how to drink out of
the toilet. One of these days one will fall in and that will be the end of the
toilet drinking for him.

Hilden Pickering
July 2nd 03, 09:24 PM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:37:24 GMT, wrote:

> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
>He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.
>
> He does have some weird drinking habits. In the morning when
>he's let out, he licks dew off the grass. It's rather cute to see.
>If I can get organized, I'll take some pictures.
>
> But this toilet bit has me somewhat annoyed. We usually keep
>the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
>there!
>
> Anybody else? Any ideas why?
>
>TIA
>
>-
>
>Polar

All mine do it. They have long whiskers so I guess the bowl is wide enough that
it doesn't bother them. The big boys taught my little one how to drink out of
the toilet. One of these days one will fall in and that will be the end of the
toilet drinking for him.

Judy
July 3rd 03, 01:18 AM
> wrote in message
>
> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
> He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.

What I learned from my previous and current cat is that the location of the
water bowl is important. Neither would drink from bowls located next to
their food bowls and opted water sources located in other parts of the
house - like the bathrooms. Toilet bowls and dripping taps were favourites
until I relocated the water bowl.

Wumpy drank from a bowl next to the toilet and Matilda drinks from one just
outside the door.

Perhaps putting a bowl in one of these places will get Pericles out of the
toilet.

Best wishes.

Judy & Matilda.

Judy
July 3rd 03, 01:18 AM
> wrote in message
>
> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
> He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.

What I learned from my previous and current cat is that the location of the
water bowl is important. Neither would drink from bowls located next to
their food bowls and opted water sources located in other parts of the
house - like the bathrooms. Toilet bowls and dripping taps were favourites
until I relocated the water bowl.

Wumpy drank from a bowl next to the toilet and Matilda drinks from one just
outside the door.

Perhaps putting a bowl in one of these places will get Pericles out of the
toilet.

Best wishes.

Judy & Matilda.

MacCandace
July 3rd 03, 04:38 AM
<< We usually keep
the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
there!

Anybody else? Any ideas why?

TIA

-

Polar >>

Yeah, they all pretty much do if you let 'em. Our lids stay down all the time.
When company is here, I have to go keep checking.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

MacCandace
July 3rd 03, 04:38 AM
<< We usually keep
the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
there!

Anybody else? Any ideas why?

TIA

-

Polar >>

Yeah, they all pretty much do if you let 'em. Our lids stay down all the time.
When company is here, I have to go keep checking.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

July 3rd 03, 07:05 PM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:45:34 GMT, Laura A. Robinson
> wrote:

>circa Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:37:24 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
) said,
>> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
>> He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.
>>
>> He does have some weird drinking habits. In the morning when
>> he's let out, he licks dew off the grass. It's rather cute to see.
>> If I can get organized, I'll take some pictures.
>>
>> But this toilet bit has me somewhat annoyed. We usually keep
>> the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
>> there!
>>
>> Anybody else? Any ideas why?
>>
>Because he's a cat. And it's "fresh" water <bleurk>. I have two cats
>who drink out of the toilet regularly. It's cool, it's oxygenated,
>and they dig it, yucky as it is to think about.

OK, everybody, appreciate the input. Mildly comforting to
know that I. Am. Not. Alone. <g>

1. Re: "fresh" water in toilet bowl ??? It's only "fresh" the
minute after the toilet has been flushed. Depending on the size of
the household, it might be only several times a day.

2. I will try moving the bowl away from the food, though it's hard to
understand the cat's "thinking" in this regard.

3. Maybe I will look into the "drip" arrangements that are sold in
pet stores, if they don't involve expensive plumbing.

Thanks to all.

--

Polar

July 3rd 03, 07:05 PM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 05:45:34 GMT, Laura A. Robinson
> wrote:

>circa Wed, 02 Jul 2003 17:37:24 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
) said,
>> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
>> He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.
>>
>> He does have some weird drinking habits. In the morning when
>> he's let out, he licks dew off the grass. It's rather cute to see.
>> If I can get organized, I'll take some pictures.
>>
>> But this toilet bit has me somewhat annoyed. We usually keep
>> the lid down anyway, for aesthetic reasons, but if we forget, he's in
>> there!
>>
>> Anybody else? Any ideas why?
>>
>Because he's a cat. And it's "fresh" water <bleurk>. I have two cats
>who drink out of the toilet regularly. It's cool, it's oxygenated,
>and they dig it, yucky as it is to think about.

OK, everybody, appreciate the input. Mildly comforting to
know that I. Am. Not. Alone. <g>

1. Re: "fresh" water in toilet bowl ??? It's only "fresh" the
minute after the toilet has been flushed. Depending on the size of
the household, it might be only several times a day.

2. I will try moving the bowl away from the food, though it's hard to
understand the cat's "thinking" in this regard.

3. Maybe I will look into the "drip" arrangements that are sold in
pet stores, if they don't involve expensive plumbing.

Thanks to all.

--

Polar

Joe Canuck
July 3rd 03, 07:10 PM
wrote:

> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
> He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.

He has discovered it as a source of water is likely the reason...
probably views it as a very large drinking bowl.

As you mentioned you keep the lid down... I do the same to avoid another
source for possible digestive tract upset. I've got one of those pet
fountains that she just loves.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Joe Canuck
July 3rd 03, 07:10 PM
wrote:

> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
> He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.

He has discovered it as a source of water is likely the reason...
probably views it as a very large drinking bowl.

As you mentioned you keep the lid down... I do the same to avoid another
source for possible digestive tract upset. I've got one of those pet
fountains that she just loves.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Hugh Jass
July 3rd 03, 10:58 PM
On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:10:50 -0400, Joe Canuck >

>> Why does Pericles want to drink from the toilet?
>> He gets fresh water in his bowl every morning; sometimes twice a day.
>
>He has discovered it as a source of water is likely the reason...
>probably views it as a very large drinking bowl.
>
>As you mentioned you keep the lid down... I do the same to avoid another
>source for possible digestive tract upset. I've got one of those pet
>fountains that she just loves.

Balderdash! It took years of training to get the wife to leave it up.