PDA

View Full Version : New boy under the bed

dgk
July 4th 03, 01:56 PM
I picked up a new playmate for Espy. I went into the wilds of New
Jersy yesterday with my co-worker and made friends with his cat Nipsy,
and then took him with me. That was the plan. Nipsy showed up outside
their door a few months back and they fed him. Then, after he was
attacked by something (likely a raccoon) and badly injured they took
him to the vet and subsequently brought him into the house.

They didn't want a third cat and wanted me to take him since Nico was
preparing to die, but Nico didn't and so he stayed there. He got along
well with their male cat but the female (Lila) freaked out and he
keeps fighting with her (and Bootsy but he likes it). Lately she's
taken to peeing in the house. It was likely crystals and she's being
treated for that but they felt that the constant aggravation wasn't
helping any.

So Nico died and I just took Nipsy away from his home and friends. He
cried all the way in the car. It was so pathetic I was ready to turn
around and bring him back. But now he's in my house, in the "cat
introduction room", under the bed.

Nipsy is a fantastic cat. Very friendly. Maybe 1 1/2 years old. Long
grey hair, with a white chin. Likes to play and fight all the time. I
think he will be a perfect fit for Espy, who keeps looking at the
door.

I go in for a few minutes at a time and talk to him and pet him when
he comes close enough. He came out from under the bed a few times.
It's only been about 12 hours so far and he is doing well. Not the
happiest of cats at the moment but better than I had feared.

I have no time table for opening the door. I think that once he gets
comfortable I'll lock Espy in the bathroom for a while and let Nipsy
have the run of the house. We'll see.

Time to go pet him some more.

Priscilla Ballou
July 4th 03, 03:10 PM
In article >,
dgk > wrote:

> I picked up a new playmate for Espy.

[snip]

> Time to go pet him some more.

Sounds like it's going fine. Congrats on your new master!

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Priscilla Ballou
July 4th 03, 03:10 PM
In article >,
dgk > wrote:

> I picked up a new playmate for Espy.

[snip]

> Time to go pet him some more.

Sounds like it's going fine. Congrats on your new master!

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
(thanks be to Brian Jones and topfive.com)

Karen Chuplis
July 4th 03, 06:32 PM
in article , dgk at
wrote on 7/4/03 7:56 AM:

> I picked up a new playmate for Espy. I went into the wilds of New
> Jersy yesterday with my co-worker and made friends with his cat Nipsy,
> and then took him with me. That was the plan. Nipsy showed up outside
> their door a few months back and they fed him. Then, after he was
> attacked by something (likely a raccoon) and badly injured they took
> him to the vet and subsequently brought him into the house.
>
> They didn't want a third cat and wanted me to take him since Nico was
> preparing to die, but Nico didn't and so he stayed there. He got along
> well with their male cat but the female (Lila) freaked out and he
> keeps fighting with her (and Bootsy but he likes it). Lately she's
> taken to peeing in the house. It was likely crystals and she's being
> treated for that but they felt that the constant aggravation wasn't
> helping any.
>
> So Nico died and I just took Nipsy away from his home and friends. He
> cried all the way in the car. It was so pathetic I was ready to turn
> around and bring him back. But now he's in my house, in the "cat
> introduction room", under the bed.
>
> Nipsy is a fantastic cat. Very friendly. Maybe 1 1/2 years old. Long
> grey hair, with a white chin. Likes to play and fight all the time. I
> think he will be a perfect fit for Espy, who keeps looking at the
> door.
>
> I go in for a few minutes at a time and talk to him and pet him when
> he comes close enough. He came out from under the bed a few times.
> It's only been about 12 hours so far and he is doing well. Not the
> happiest of cats at the moment but better than I had feared.
>
> I have no time table for opening the door. I think that once he gets
> comfortable I'll lock Espy in the bathroom for a while and let Nipsy
> have the run of the house. We'll see.
>
> Time to go pet him some more.

think about getting some Feliway to spray around too. I think it really
helps with an introduction. Congrats and good luck!

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 4th 03, 06:32 PM
in article , dgk at
wrote on 7/4/03 7:56 AM:

> I picked up a new playmate for Espy. I went into the wilds of New
> Jersy yesterday with my co-worker and made friends with his cat Nipsy,
> and then took him with me. That was the plan. Nipsy showed up outside
> their door a few months back and they fed him. Then, after he was
> attacked by something (likely a raccoon) and badly injured they took
> him to the vet and subsequently brought him into the house.
>
> They didn't want a third cat and wanted me to take him since Nico was
> preparing to die, but Nico didn't and so he stayed there. He got along
> well with their male cat but the female (Lila) freaked out and he
> keeps fighting with her (and Bootsy but he likes it). Lately she's
> taken to peeing in the house. It was likely crystals and she's being
> treated for that but they felt that the constant aggravation wasn't
> helping any.
>
> So Nico died and I just took Nipsy away from his home and friends. He
> cried all the way in the car. It was so pathetic I was ready to turn
> around and bring him back. But now he's in my house, in the "cat
> introduction room", under the bed.
>
> Nipsy is a fantastic cat. Very friendly. Maybe 1 1/2 years old. Long
> grey hair, with a white chin. Likes to play and fight all the time. I
> think he will be a perfect fit for Espy, who keeps looking at the
> door.
>
> I go in for a few minutes at a time and talk to him and pet him when
> he comes close enough. He came out from under the bed a few times.
> It's only been about 12 hours so far and he is doing well. Not the
> happiest of cats at the moment but better than I had feared.
>
> I have no time table for opening the door. I think that once he gets
> comfortable I'll lock Espy in the bathroom for a while and let Nipsy
> have the run of the house. We'll see.
>
> Time to go pet him some more.

think about getting some Feliway to spray around too. I think it really
helps with an introduction. Congrats and good luck!

Karen

July 4th 03, 09:37 PM
That may not have been in response to
"leaving his home" -- many are just
plain vocal/unhappy when riding in a car.

dgk > wrote in message

He
> cried all the way in the car. It was so pathetic I was ready to turn
> around and bring him back.

Karen Chuplis
July 5th 03, 01:51 AM
in article , dgk at
wrote on 7/4/03 5:54 PM:

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:32:33 -0500, Karen Chuplis
> > wrote:
>
>> in article , dgk at
>> wrote on 7/4/03 7:56 AM:
>>
>>> I picked up a new playmate for Espy. I went into the wilds of New
>>> Jersy yesterday with my co-worker and made friends with his cat Nipsy,
>>> and then took him with me. That was the plan. Nipsy showed up outside
>>> their door a few months back and they fed him. Then, after he was
>>> attacked by something (likely a raccoon) and badly injured they took
>>> him to the vet and subsequently brought him into the house.
>>>
>>> They didn't want a third cat and wanted me to take him since Nico was
>>> preparing to die, but Nico didn't and so he stayed there. He got along
>>> well with their male cat but the female (Lila) freaked out and he
>>> keeps fighting with her (and Bootsy but he likes it). Lately she's
>>> taken to peeing in the house. It was likely crystals and she's being
>>> treated for that but they felt that the constant aggravation wasn't
>>> helping any.
>>>
>>> So Nico died and I just took Nipsy away from his home and friends. He
>>> cried all the way in the car. It was so pathetic I was ready to turn
>>> around and bring him back. But now he's in my house, in the "cat
>>> introduction room", under the bed.
>>>
>>> Nipsy is a fantastic cat. Very friendly. Maybe 1 1/2 years old. Long
>>> grey hair, with a white chin. Likes to play and fight all the time. I
>>> think he will be a perfect fit for Espy, who keeps looking at the
>>> door.
>>>
>>> I go in for a few minutes at a time and talk to him and pet him when
>>> he comes close enough. He came out from under the bed a few times.
>>> It's only been about 12 hours so far and he is doing well. Not the
>>> happiest of cats at the moment but better than I had feared.
>>>
>>> I have no time table for opening the door. I think that once he gets
>>> comfortable I'll lock Espy in the bathroom for a while and let Nipsy
>>> have the run of the house. We'll see.
>>>
>>> Time to go pet him some more.
>>
>> think about getting some Feliway to spray around too. I think it really
>> helps with an introduction. Congrats and good luck!
>>
>> Karen
>
> I had some from when I was trying to get Nico to hate Espy less.
> Didn't work but it would have been amazing if it did.
>
> After Nipsy came out from under the bed a few times I remembered the
> Feliway and sprayed some on a wall in the room. A few minutes later
> Nipsy retreated to the furthest corner of the bed and refused to come
> out. It took most of today to get him to stick his head out from under
> the bed again.
>
> I don't know that it was the Feliway but if not it was sure a good
> coincidence.

I've always had very good luck with it <shrug>

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 5th 03, 01:51 AM
in article , dgk at
wrote on 7/4/03 5:54 PM:

> On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:32:33 -0500, Karen Chuplis
> > wrote:
>
>> in article , dgk at
>> wrote on 7/4/03 7:56 AM:
>>
>>> I picked up a new playmate for Espy. I went into the wilds of New
>>> Jersy yesterday with my co-worker and made friends with his cat Nipsy,
>>> and then took him with me. That was the plan. Nipsy showed up outside
>>> their door a few months back and they fed him. Then, after he was
>>> attacked by something (likely a raccoon) and badly injured they took
>>> him to the vet and subsequently brought him into the house.
>>>
>>> They didn't want a third cat and wanted me to take him since Nico was
>>> preparing to die, but Nico didn't and so he stayed there. He got along
>>> well with their male cat but the female (Lila) freaked out and he
>>> keeps fighting with her (and Bootsy but he likes it). Lately she's
>>> taken to peeing in the house. It was likely crystals and she's being
>>> treated for that but they felt that the constant aggravation wasn't
>>> helping any.
>>>
>>> So Nico died and I just took Nipsy away from his home and friends. He
>>> cried all the way in the car. It was so pathetic I was ready to turn
>>> around and bring him back. But now he's in my house, in the "cat
>>> introduction room", under the bed.
>>>
>>> Nipsy is a fantastic cat. Very friendly. Maybe 1 1/2 years old. Long
>>> grey hair, with a white chin. Likes to play and fight all the time. I
>>> think he will be a perfect fit for Espy, who keeps looking at the
>>> door.
>>>
>>> I go in for a few minutes at a time and talk to him and pet him when
>>> he comes close enough. He came out from under the bed a few times.
>>> It's only been about 12 hours so far and he is doing well. Not the
>>> happiest of cats at the moment but better than I had feared.
>>>
>>> I have no time table for opening the door. I think that once he gets
>>> comfortable I'll lock Espy in the bathroom for a while and let Nipsy
>>> have the run of the house. We'll see.
>>>
>>> Time to go pet him some more.
>>
>> think about getting some Feliway to spray around too. I think it really
>> helps with an introduction. Congrats and good luck!
>>
>> Karen
>
> I had some from when I was trying to get Nico to hate Espy less.
> Didn't work but it would have been amazing if it did.
>
> After Nipsy came out from under the bed a few times I remembered the
> Feliway and sprayed some on a wall in the room. A few minutes later
> Nipsy retreated to the furthest corner of the bed and refused to come
> out. It took most of today to get him to stick his head out from under
> the bed again.
>
> I don't know that it was the Feliway but if not it was sure a good
> coincidence.

I've always had very good luck with it <shrug>

Karen

dgk
July 5th 03, 01:42 PM
>> After Nipsy came out from under the bed a few times I remembered the
>> Feliway and sprayed some on a wall in the room. A few minutes later
>> Nipsy retreated to the furthest corner of the bed and refused to come
>> out. It took most of today to get him to stick his head out from under
>> the bed again.
>>
>> I don't know that it was the Feliway but if not it was sure a good
>> coincidence.
>>

>I've always had very good luck with it <shrug>
>
>Karen

I'll have to try again. Nipsy came out of the room last night. Espy
does not seem to appreciate his new buddy yet. Hissing and running
away. Well, Nipsy is a big boy and Espy isn't that big yet.

dgk
July 5th 03, 01:42 PM
>> After Nipsy came out from under the bed a few times I remembered the
>> Feliway and sprayed some on a wall in the room. A few minutes later
>> Nipsy retreated to the furthest corner of the bed and refused to come
>> out. It took most of today to get him to stick his head out from under
>> the bed again.
>>
>> I don't know that it was the Feliway but if not it was sure a good
>> coincidence.
>>

>I've always had very good luck with it <shrug>
>
>Karen

I'll have to try again. Nipsy came out of the room last night. Espy
does not seem to appreciate his new buddy yet. Hissing and running
away. Well, Nipsy is a big boy and Espy isn't that big yet.

Cheryl
July 6th 03, 04:36 AM
dgk wrote:
> I picked up a new playmate for Espy. I went into the wilds of New
> Jersy yesterday with my co-worker and made friends with his cat
Nipsy,
> and then took him with me. That was the plan. Nipsy showed up
outside

Congrats on your new family member. That is the way to do it... take
the love you have for Nico and share it with another needy kitty. :)
Best of luck to you!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 6th 03, 04:36 AM
dgk wrote:
> I picked up a new playmate for Espy. I went into the wilds of New
> Jersy yesterday with my co-worker and made friends with his cat
Nipsy,
> and then took him with me. That was the plan. Nipsy showed up
outside

Congrats on your new family member. That is the way to do it... take
the love you have for Nico and share it with another needy kitty. :)
Best of luck to you!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl
July 6th 03, 04:43 AM
dgk wrote:

> I don't know that it was the Feliway but if not it was sure a good
> coincidence.

After reading so many endorsements WRT Feliway and in particular the
diffuser, I bought one and really didn't notice anything until it ran
out. I've used the spray for certain spots but letting it diffuse into
the air I hadn't heard of. When it ran out, it only took a couple of
days until I started noticing Shamrock become agitated often and
attacking my poor Shadow. I replaced it and now will always keep one
plugged in.

--
Cheryl

Cheryl