PDA

View Full Version : cat acne?

Purplecat
July 7th 03, 02:32 AM
Hi,
One of my cats has got black crusty bits on the fur on her chin. I believe
this is a sign of overactive sebaceous glands/cat acne. Can anyone confirm
this? The only time I've come across cat acne before it was a lot more
obvious than this, but cleared up in a week or so with daily cleaning and
bathing with a very mild antibacterial soap - it was many years ago now
though and I can't remember what soap I used. Has anyone got any
recommendations?

Thanks,
Purplecat

NEMESIS1IM
July 9th 03, 02:17 PM
Hi,

Don't use plastic food bowels.

>One of my cats has got black crusty bits on the fur on her chin. I believe
>this is a sign of overactive sebaceous glands/cat acne. Can anyone confirm
>this? The only time I've come across cat acne before it was a lot more
>obvious than this, but cleared up in a week or so with daily cleaning and
>bathing with a very mild antibacterial soap - it was many years ago now
>though and I can't remember what soap I used. Has anyone got any
>recommendations?
>
>Thanks,
>Purplecat

Regards,

http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/feralfelines/

NEMESIS1IM
July 9th 03, 02:17 PM
Hi,

Don't use plastic food bowels.

>One of my cats has got black crusty bits on the fur on her chin. I believe
>this is a sign of overactive sebaceous glands/cat acne. Can anyone confirm
>this? The only time I've come across cat acne before it was a lot more
>obvious than this, but cleared up in a week or so with daily cleaning and
>bathing with a very mild antibacterial soap - it was many years ago now
>though and I can't remember what soap I used. Has anyone got any
>recommendations?
>
>Thanks,
>Purplecat

Regards,

http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/feralfelines/

clpeters23
July 9th 03, 08:14 PM
Both of my cats had acne. I switched to stainless steel food and water
bowls. What got rid of the "dirt" was a warm, moist compress applied
to the chin that dislodged the crud, and benzoyl peroxide shampoo
formulated for animals. Do not use human acne pads or medication, or
squeeze any blackheads.

Goof luck!

(NEMESIS1IM) wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> Don't use plastic food bowels.
>
> >One of my cats has got black crusty bits on the fur on her chin. I believe
> >this is a sign of overactive sebaceous glands/cat acne. Can anyone confirm
> >this? The only time I've come across cat acne before it was a lot more
> >obvious than this, but cleared up in a week or so with daily cleaning and
> >bathing with a very mild antibacterial soap - it was many years ago now
> >though and I can't remember what soap I used. Has anyone got any
> >recommendations?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Purplecat
> >

> Regards,
>
> http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/feralfelines/

clpeters23
July 9th 03, 08:14 PM
Both of my cats had acne. I switched to stainless steel food and water
bowls. What got rid of the "dirt" was a warm, moist compress applied
to the chin that dislodged the crud, and benzoyl peroxide shampoo
formulated for animals. Do not use human acne pads or medication, or
squeeze any blackheads.

Goof luck!

(NEMESIS1IM) wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> Don't use plastic food bowels.
>
> >One of my cats has got black crusty bits on the fur on her chin. I believe
> >this is a sign of overactive sebaceous glands/cat acne. Can anyone confirm
> >this? The only time I've come across cat acne before it was a lot more
> >obvious than this, but cleared up in a week or so with daily cleaning and
> >bathing with a very mild antibacterial soap - it was many years ago now
> >though and I can't remember what soap I used. Has anyone got any
> >recommendations?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Purplecat
> >

> Regards,
>
> http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/feralfelines/

Ginger-lyn Summer
July 9th 03, 08:18 PM
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:32:09 +1000, "Purplecat"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>One of my cats has got black crusty bits on the fur on her chin. I believe
>this is a sign of overactive sebaceous glands/cat acne. Can anyone confirm
>this? The only time I've come across cat acne before it was a lot more
>obvious than this, but cleared up in a week or so with daily cleaning and
>bathing with a very mild antibacterial soap - it was many years ago now
>though and I can't remember what soap I used. Has anyone got any
>recommendations?
>
>Thanks,
>Purplecat

Here are recommendations I've received from my vet and a knowledgeable
friend for my cat's acne.

Use a triple antibiotic ointment to clear it up first.
Then, to prevent return, wipe under the chin with a cotton ball soaked
in rubbing alcohol (which the cat will hate, but it works better) or
with hydrogen peroxide.

HTH

Ginger-lyn