PDA

View Full Version : Re: High WBC, vet no help - need answers fast...

Arjun Ray
July 8th 03, 05:26 AM
In >,
(Christine) wrote:

| To summarize:
| High WBC

Unfortunately, by itself this isn't informative. The WBC count is made
up of various kinds of WBCs. For instance, the neutrophil count may be
inflated due to stress. Other kinds of WBCs are more postive indication
of infection.

Does your cat have fever?

| Slightly elevated blood sugar (may be from stress)
| All other blood counts "possibly" normal
| Urinalysis negative for blood or bacteria
| Possibly a very small amount of sugar in urine (one test was negative,
| one was very slighly high)
| Very lethargic - won't eat, seldom drinks, sleeps all day (but mostly
| in cool spots, not hot ones)

Is your cat up to date on shots, especially for distemper? I don't want
to be alarmist, but you should watch your other cats too.

Arjun Ray
July 8th 03, 05:26 AM
In >,
(Christine) wrote:

| To summarize:
| High WBC

Unfortunately, by itself this isn't informative. The WBC count is made
up of various kinds of WBCs. For instance, the neutrophil count may be
inflated due to stress. Other kinds of WBCs are more postive indication
of infection.

Does your cat have fever?

| Slightly elevated blood sugar (may be from stress)
| All other blood counts "possibly" normal
| Urinalysis negative for blood or bacteria
| Possibly a very small amount of sugar in urine (one test was negative,
| one was very slighly high)
| Very lethargic - won't eat, seldom drinks, sleeps all day (but mostly
| in cool spots, not hot ones)

Is your cat up to date on shots, especially for distemper? I don't want
to be alarmist, but you should watch your other cats too.

Christine
July 8th 03, 03:33 PM
The reason I haven't brought him back to the vet is that they've been
pretty uncooperative. Not the vet herself, but the office. I called
there (twice) to try to get the PCV result, and I had to essentially
lay out the whole story to some desk person who then just said they
could either have the vet that saw him originally call me back
tomorrow (today - Tuesday), or I could bring him in again. Never mind
that they have a doctor there 24x7 that can probably read a piece of
paper, or that I was just asking them to tell ME the number and *I*
will interpret it - I did pay $130 for those test results, after all.
When I talked to the vet at 3:30pm she didn't seem to think that
practically speaking, there was much to do besides wait to see if
either the antibiotics/fluids helped, or if the lab bloodwork reported
anything unusual. She looked in his mouth and didn't say anything
about him looking pale. He had dental work last fall, so I don't his
teeth should be in pretty good shape. Of course there are other
things such as testing for diabetes and doing ultrasounds, but she
didn't really think that either of those would show anything specific.
So, I didn't bring him in because I was following the original
veterinary instructions, and I didn't want to put him through it if it
wasn't necessary.

Tuttan's going to his regular vet today, which is 45 mins away but at
least we can trust them there to call us back. I plan on telling the
24x7 vet (who I was actually pretty happy with) about the situation at
the office there. I spent $450 on Sunday, and they can't have the
on-call doctor call me back AT HIS CONVENIENCE, to read/interpret one
lab number for me? I guess they don't want the repeat business from
Tuttan or our three other cats.

Christine and Tuttan

[...]

MaryL
July 9th 03, 05:49 AM
"Christine" > wrote in message
om...
> The reason I haven't brought him back to the vet is that they've been
> pretty uncooperative. Not the vet herself, but the office. I called
> there (twice) to try to get the PCV result, and I had to essentially
> lay out the whole story to some desk person who then just said they
> could either have the vet that saw him originally call me back
> tomorrow (today - Tuesday), or I could bring him in again. Never mind
> that they have a doctor there 24x7 that can probably read a piece of
> paper, or that I was just asking them to tell ME the number and *I*
> will interpret it - I did pay $130 for those test results, after all.
> When I talked to the vet at 3:30pm she didn't seem to think that
> practically speaking, there was much to do besides wait to see if
> either the antibiotics/fluids helped, or if the lab bloodwork reported
> anything unusual. She looked in his mouth and didn't say anything
> about him looking pale. He had dental work last fall, so I don't his
> teeth should be in pretty good shape. Of course there are other
> things such as testing for diabetes and doing ultrasounds, but she
> didn't really think that either of those would show anything specific.
> So, I didn't bring him in because I was following the original
> veterinary instructions, and I didn't want to put him through it if it
> wasn't necessary.
>
> Tuttan's going to his regular vet today, which is 45 mins away but at
> least we can trust them there to call us back. I plan on telling the
> 24x7 vet (who I was actually pretty happy with) about the situation at
> the office there. I spent $450 on Sunday, and they can't have the
> on-call doctor call me back AT HIS CONVENIENCE, to read/interpret one
> lab number for me? I guess they don't want the repeat business from
> Tuttan or our three other cats.
>
> Christine and Tuttan

This is completely unreasonable. My vet will give me copies of any records
I want, and they will also provide information over the phone. When you do
talk to this vet, I would ask for a copy of all tests and then take that to
your own vet. That way, you will at least have the records available in an
office that is more cooperative. If necessary, ask your vet to contact
their office and arrange to have the test results mailed or faxed.

MaryL

MaryL
July 9th 03, 05:49 AM
"Christine" > wrote in message
om...
> The reason I haven't brought him back to the vet is that they've been
> pretty uncooperative. Not the vet herself, but the office. I called
> there (twice) to try to get the PCV result, and I had to essentially
> lay out the whole story to some desk person who then just said they
> could either have the vet that saw him originally call me back
> tomorrow (today - Tuesday), or I could bring him in again. Never mind
> that they have a doctor there 24x7 that can probably read a piece of
> paper, or that I was just asking them to tell ME the number and *I*
> will interpret it - I did pay $130 for those test results, after all.
> When I talked to the vet at 3:30pm she didn't seem to think that
> practically speaking, there was much to do besides wait to see if
> either the antibiotics/fluids helped, or if the lab bloodwork reported
> anything unusual. She looked in his mouth and didn't say anything
> about him looking pale. He had dental work last fall, so I don't his
> teeth should be in pretty good shape. Of course there are other
> things such as testing for diabetes and doing ultrasounds, but she
> didn't really think that either of those would show anything specific.
> So, I didn't bring him in because I was following the original
> veterinary instructions, and I didn't want to put him through it if it
> wasn't necessary.
>
> Tuttan's going to his regular vet today, which is 45 mins away but at
> least we can trust them there to call us back. I plan on telling the
> 24x7 vet (who I was actually pretty happy with) about the situation at
> the office there. I spent $450 on Sunday, and they can't have the
> on-call doctor call me back AT HIS CONVENIENCE, to read/interpret one
> lab number for me? I guess they don't want the repeat business from
> Tuttan or our three other cats.
>
> Christine and Tuttan

This is completely unreasonable. My vet will give me copies of any records
I want, and they will also provide information over the phone. When you do
talk to this vet, I would ask for a copy of all tests and then take that to
your own vet. That way, you will at least have the records available in an
office that is more cooperative. If necessary, ask your vet to contact
their office and arrange to have the test results mailed or faxed.

MaryL

MK
July 9th 03, 12:39 PM
I don't know why they are being so coy with the result. Personally, I
wouldn't have much problem with a technician or receptionist reading you the
result or faxing it to you. They are your medical records. The thing I
wouldn't want them doing is trying to offer any interpretation over the
phone, in my case they simply aren't qualified to do so.

Most emergency clinics fax a copy of the record to your regular veterinarian
automatically, so they may have it already.

The WBC count may or may not mean much, depending on how high it was. I'm
guessing that if they got a WBC count they probably got a PCV with that, so
hopefully if the cat was anemic that would have been addressed.

MK DVM

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "MaryL" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Christine" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > The reason I haven't brought him back to the vet is that they've
> been
> > > pretty uncooperative. Not the vet herself, but the office. I
> called
> > > there (twice) to try to get the PCV result, and I had to
> essentially
> > > lay out the whole story to some desk person who then just said
> they
> > > could either have the vet that saw him originally call me back
> > > tomorrow (today - Tuesday), or I could bring him in again. Never
> mind
> > > that they have a doctor there 24x7 that can probably read a piece
> of
> > > paper, or that I was just asking them to tell ME the number and
> *I*
> > > will interpret it - I did pay $130 for those test results, after
> all.
> > >
> > > Christine and Tuttan
> >
> > This is completely unreasonable. My vet will give me copies of any
> records
> > I want, and they will also provide information over the phone. When
> you do
> > talk to this vet, I would ask for a copy of all tests and then take
> that to
> > your own vet. That way, you will at least have the records
> available in an
> > office that is more cooperative. If necessary, ask your vet to
> contact
> > their office and arrange to have the test results mailed or faxed.
> >
> > MaryL
> >

> It is, isn't it. I've had the same thing happen where the techs won't
> read me a dx over the phone saying the vet has to. When Shadow had
> his biopsy for IBD it took two weeks to get the results because the
> vet who did the procedure went on vacation the day after it was done.
> They also wouldn't give me his liver values over the phone until she
> came back.

Yngver
July 9th 03, 09:42 PM
MK" wrote:

>I don't know why they are being so coy with the result. Personally, I
>wouldn't have much problem with a technician or receptionist reading you the
>result or faxing it to you. They are your medical records. The thing I
>wouldn't want them doing is trying to offer any interpretation over the
>phone, in my case they simply aren't qualified to do so.

Yes, but aren't most people going to ask questions about the results, which the
vet tech/receptionist isn't qualified to answer? Most people won't have any
idea what the results mean without an interpretation.

I've had receptionists read me the results if I insist, but the minute I say
"is that good or bad?" they say I have to talk to the doctor. I think if it's
something simple--like positive or negative--it's fine for the receptionist to
tell you but if we're talking about a CBC, I can see why they would want the
vet to give the results.

MK" wrote:

>I don't know why they are being so coy with the result. Personally, I
>wouldn't have much problem with a technician or receptionist reading you the
>result or faxing it to you. They are your medical records. The thing I
>wouldn't want them doing is trying to offer any interpretation over the
>phone, in my case they simply aren't qualified to do so.

Yes, but aren't most people going to ask questions about the results, which the
vet tech/receptionist isn't qualified to answer? Most people won't have any
idea what the results mean without an interpretation.

I've had receptionists read me the results if I insist, but the minute I say
"is that good or bad?" they say I have to talk to the doctor. I think if it's
something simple--like positive or negative--it's fine for the receptionist to
tell you but if we're talking about a CBC, I can see why they would want the
vet to give the results.

>Most emergency clinics fax a copy of the record to your regular veterinarian
>automatically, so they may have it already.
>
>The WBC count may or may not mean much, depending on how high it was. I'm
>guessing that if they got a WBC count they probably got a PCV with that, so
>hopefully if the cat was anemic that would have been addressed.

MacCandace
July 10th 03, 03:51 AM
So, how is Tuttan today after seeing his regular vet? It can sometimes take a
few days for the antibiotics to kick in so if they remain stable, it's
understandable. If they get worse once they're on abx, then they definitely
should go back to the vet.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

MacCandace
July 10th 03, 03:51 AM
So, how is Tuttan today after seeing his regular vet? It can sometimes take a
few days for the antibiotics to kick in so if they remain stable, it's
understandable. If they get worse once they're on abx, then they definitely
should go back to the vet.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

MK
July 10th 03, 04:52 AM
Sure they will. I guess the point I was making is that the information
shouldn't be withheld from the owner. If they want the raw info, then
that's OK, otherwise they should be told the doctor will call them as soon
as s/he can and not just be stonewalled. That's sort of rude and just not
necessary. I don't know what the deal is in this case.

MK DVM

"Yngver" > wrote in message
> MK" wrote:
>
> >I don't know why they are being so coy with the result. Personally, I
> >wouldn't have much problem with a technician or receptionist reading you
the
> >result or faxing it to you. They are your medical records. The thing I
> >wouldn't want them doing is trying to offer any interpretation over the
> >phone, in my case they simply aren't qualified to do so.
>
> Yes, but aren't most people going to ask questions about the results,
which the
> vet tech/receptionist isn't qualified to answer? Most people won't have
any
> idea what the results mean without an interpretation.
>
> I've had receptionists read me the results if I insist, but the minute I
say
> "is that good or bad?" they say I have to talk to the doctor. I think if
it's
> something simple--like positive or negative--it's fine for the
receptionist to
> tell you but if we're talking about a CBC, I can see why they would want
the
> vet to give the results.
> >
> >Most emergency clinics fax a copy of the record to your regular
veterinarian
> >automatically, so they may have it already.
> >
> >The WBC count may or may not mean much, depending on how high it was.
I'm
> >guessing that if they got a WBC count they probably got a PCV with that,
so
> >hopefully if the cat was anemic that would have been addressed.

Christine
July 10th 03, 06:06 AM
Well, the diagnosis is in, and it's not very pretty. Pancreatitis,
and it's pretty advanced. IF he beats it he will have a good chance
at a full recovery, but it is very touch-and-go right now. He keeps
leaking fluids into his chest and abdominal cavity, and is having
trouble maintaining his body temperature on his own. Managing the
symptoms is what they mostly do, until the cat gets through it (or
doesn't). Note to self: just because blood tests are normal one day
doesn't mean they'll be normal the next day. Two days after the first
set of blood tests, his electrolytes were all out of whack.
Ultrasound detected the fact that the fluid was gathering around his
pancreas, which is what pretty much clinches it. We're hoping for
some good news tomorrow....

Regarding the emergency vet place:
This place is apparently so compartmentalized and clannish and
defensive, that they're afraid that if ANYONE is calling them on the
phone, someone's going to get blamed for something, and they just
don't want it to be THEM. Here is a sample phone call:
Me: I called to request that Tuttan's medical records to the regular
vet's office, and I keep getting faxed from your office to my home
phone, and I don't have a fax machine.
Desk person: All I can say is that this is the number that I was
given, xxx-xxx-xxxx so if that's not the vet's number, I don't know
what to say...
Me: No, that IS the right number, it's just that that's not the number
that they're faxing to.
DP: Well, I don't know, I have no control over what they do.
Me (in my head): Um, yes, you do. You have the freaking phone number!
Give it to them! Call them and tell them they're faxing to the wrong
place! Or, transfer me to their extension and let ME tell them! I
don't care! But trying to fax this to me at home is just NOT going to
work!

Even if I had known that it was my job to ask for the "medical
records" department, I wouldn't have had any success there, either.
Here was that conversation:
Them: I just finished faxing itto the regular vet, so if they haven't
got it, I don't know what to say. I have a completed fax transmittal
sheet here.
Me: No, no, if you have that I'm sure you're right, I'm sure they got
it. But something is still trying to fax to me at my home number.
Them: This is the only fax machine that's working. But it wasn't me.
Me: I think there's a whole nother fax job that is maybe just retrying
itself?
Them: I don't know who that would be, because it's not me.
Me: well, could you find out? Because this is the fourth call I've
had this morning and it's really annoying.
Them: I suppose I could ask around.
Me (in my head): Ya think??? Because I sure can't do it, from here!

[...]

July 10th 03, 03:57 PM
(Christine) wrote:

>Well, the diagnosis is in, and it's not very pretty. Pancreatitis,
>and it's pretty advanced. IF he beats it he will have a good chance
>at a full recovery, but it is very touch-and-go right now.

Good luck. My cat went through a mild case of pancreatitis and fully recovered,
but it took a while. I wouldn't lose heart if it seems to take a long time for
him to start getting better.

He keeps
>leaking fluids into his chest and abdominal cavity, and is having
>trouble maintaining his body temperature on his own. Managing the
>symptoms is what they mostly do, until the cat gets through it (or
>doesn't). Note to self: just because blood tests are normal one day
>doesn't mean they'll be normal the next day. Two days after the first
>set of blood tests, his electrolytes were all out of whack.

Yes, as my vet pointed out to me, some elements of a blood test show where
things were a little while ago, not necessarily what's going on right now.

>Ultrasound detected the fact that the fluid was gathering around his
>pancreas, which is what pretty much clinches it. We're hoping for
>some good news tomorrow....

Wishing you best of luck.

Yngver
July 10th 03, 03:57 PM
(Christine) wrote:

>Well, the diagnosis is in, and it's not very pretty. Pancreatitis,
>and it's pretty advanced. IF he beats it he will have a good chance
>at a full recovery, but it is very touch-and-go right now.

Good luck. My cat went through a mild case of pancreatitis and fully recovered,
but it took a while. I wouldn't lose heart if it seems to take a long time for
him to start getting better.

He keeps
>leaking fluids into his chest and abdominal cavity, and is having
>trouble maintaining his body temperature on his own. Managing the
>symptoms is what they mostly do, until the cat gets through it (or
>doesn't). Note to self: just because blood tests are normal one day
>doesn't mean they'll be normal the next day. Two days after the first
>set of blood tests, his electrolytes were all out of whack.

Yes, as my vet pointed out to me, some elements of a blood test show where
things were a little while ago, not necessarily what's going on right now.

>Ultrasound detected the fact that the fluid was gathering around his
>pancreas, which is what pretty much clinches it. We're hoping for
>some good news tomorrow....

Wishing you best of luck.

Christine
July 11th 03, 05:46 AM
I'm sorry to report that we had to put our sweet Tuttan to sleep
today. After five days of lethargy/depression/shock with pretty much
no progress, it wasn't fair to make him linger any longer. He went
very quickly. He will be terribly missed, as he was such an
affectionate sort. Pet your pets today, before it's too late...

Christine and Tuttan (in spirit)

Christine
July 11th 03, 05:46 AM
I'm sorry to report that we had to put our sweet Tuttan to sleep
today. After five days of lethargy/depression/shock with pretty much
no progress, it wasn't fair to make him linger any longer. He went
very quickly. He will be terribly missed, as he was such an
affectionate sort. Pet your pets today, before it's too late...

Christine and Tuttan (in spirit)

MaryL
July 11th 03, 05:27 PM
"Christine" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm sorry to report that we had to put our sweet Tuttan to sleep
> today. After five days of lethargy/depression/shock with pretty much
> no progress, it wasn't fair to make him linger any longer. He went
> very quickly. He will be terribly missed, as he was such an
> affectionate sort. Pet your pets today, before it's too late...
>
> Christine and Tuttan (in spirit)

I am so sorry. This is always an incredibly painful decision, but I hope
you will receive some solace in knowing that you did everything you could
for Tuttan.

MaryL

MaryL
July 11th 03, 05:27 PM