Karen Chuplis
July 11th 03, 02:04 AM
in article , neters at
wrote on 7/10/03 7:33 PM:

> hey all -
> i just wanted anyone who might possibly be interested know that i ended up
> getting the kitten from the shelter that we thought might have feline
> asthma. we haven't decided on how to spell his name but it's opie/hopi. the
> shelter had a vet check him out before his neutering on monday and he didn't
> find anything wrong with him. he is active and eats/drinks but he breaths
> so loud! we don't worry about loosing him in our apartment because all we
> have to do is turn off the radio/tv and we can hear him. i have an
> appointment with our vet for next wednesday for the second round of boosters
> and to find out what is causing his loud breathing.
> now for my two questions...
> 1. do cats snore when they sleep? or is this a by product of whatever is
> causing the loud breathing? when he's sleeping it sounds like a snore, when
> he's awake it sounds like he is purring but has a runny nose.

I bet it's from the breathing problem. He may very well grow out of it.

> 2. do cats pass gas? he'll start curling up around us, or will be sleeping,
> and all of a sudden we get a rift of a horrible smell. i know dogs can pass
> gas but can cats? i suppose they could... he has nutro natural choice dry
> all da and 1/4 can of nutro natural choice at night (chicken and liver
> flavor).

Sure they can. It can be the worst stench ever. Mine have rarely done it,
but I know some people whose cats regularly let rip. His system should calm
down when he becomes accustomed to everything.

Congrats!

> Thanks!!!!!

Karen Chuplis
July 11th 03, 02:04 AM
in article , neters at
wrote on 7/10/03 7:33 PM:

> hey all -
> i just wanted anyone who might possibly be interested know that i ended up
> getting the kitten from the shelter that we thought might have feline
> asthma. we haven't decided on how to spell his name but it's opie/hopi. the
> shelter had a vet check him out before his neutering on monday and he didn't
> find anything wrong with him. he is active and eats/drinks but he breaths
> so loud! we don't worry about loosing him in our apartment because all we
> have to do is turn off the radio/tv and we can hear him. i have an
> appointment with our vet for next wednesday for the second round of boosters
> and to find out what is causing his loud breathing.
> now for my two questions...
> 1. do cats snore when they sleep? or is this a by product of whatever is
> causing the loud breathing? when he's sleeping it sounds like a snore, when
> he's awake it sounds like he is purring but has a runny nose.

I bet it's from the breathing problem. He may very well grow out of it.

> 2. do cats pass gas? he'll start curling up around us, or will be sleeping,
> and all of a sudden we get a rift of a horrible smell. i know dogs can pass
> gas but can cats? i suppose they could... he has nutro natural choice dry
> all da and 1/4 can of nutro natural choice at night (chicken and liver
> flavor).

Sure they can. It can be the worst stench ever. Mine have rarely done it,
but I know some people whose cats regularly let rip. His system should calm
down when he becomes accustomed to everything.

Congrats!

> Thanks!!!!!

Priscilla Ballou
July 11th 03, 02:16 AM
In article >,
"neters" > wrote:

> hey all -
> i just wanted anyone who might possibly be interested know that i ended up
> getting the kitten from the shelter that we thought might have feline
> asthma. we haven't decided on how to spell his name but it's opie/hopi. the
> shelter had a vet check him out before his neutering on monday and he didn't
> find anything wrong with him. he is active and eats/drinks but he breaths
> so loud! we don't worry about loosing him in our apartment because all we
> have to do is turn off the radio/tv and we can hear him. i have an
> appointment with our vet for next wednesday for the second round of boosters
> and to find out what is causing his loud breathing.
> now for my two questions...
> 1. do cats snore when they sleep? or is this a by product of whatever is
> causing the loud breathing? when he's sleeping it sounds like a snore, when
> he's awake it sounds like he is purring but has a runny nose.
> 2. do cats pass gas? he'll start curling up around us, or will be sleeping,
> and all of a sudden we get a rift of a horrible smell. i know dogs can pass
> gas but can cats? i suppose they could... he has nutro natural choice dry
> all da and 1/4 can of nutro natural choice at night (chicken and liver
> flavor).

Oh, yes. Some of my cats have snored at times, and some of them have
farted.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Priscilla Ballou
July 11th 03, 02:16 AM
In article >,
"neters" > wrote:

> hey all -
> i just wanted anyone who might possibly be interested know that i ended up
> getting the kitten from the shelter that we thought might have feline
> asthma. we haven't decided on how to spell his name but it's opie/hopi. the
> shelter had a vet check him out before his neutering on monday and he didn't
> find anything wrong with him. he is active and eats/drinks but he breaths
> so loud! we don't worry about loosing him in our apartment because all we
> have to do is turn off the radio/tv and we can hear him. i have an
> appointment with our vet for next wednesday for the second round of boosters
> and to find out what is causing his loud breathing.
> now for my two questions...
> 1. do cats snore when they sleep? or is this a by product of whatever is
> causing the loud breathing? when he's sleeping it sounds like a snore, when
> he's awake it sounds like he is purring but has a runny nose.
> 2. do cats pass gas? he'll start curling up around us, or will be sleeping,
> and all of a sudden we get a rift of a horrible smell. i know dogs can pass
> gas but can cats? i suppose they could... he has nutro natural choice dry
> all da and 1/4 can of nutro natural choice at night (chicken and liver
> flavor).

Oh, yes. Some of my cats have snored at times, and some of them have
farted.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
(thanks be to topfive.com)

PawsForThought
July 11th 03, 03:17 AM
>From: "neters"

>i just wanted anyone who might possibly be interested know that i ended up
>getting the kitten from the shelter that we thought might have feline
>asthma.

Congratulations!! :)

> i have an
>appointment with our vet for next wednesday for the second round of boosters
>and to find out what is causing his loud breathing.

If it were my cat, I would hold off on the vaccines until it's determined that
he is 100% healthy. The instructions on the vaccine insert says to only give
to "healthy" animals. You might want to discuss this with your vet.

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
July 11th 03, 03:17 AM
>From: "neters"

>i just wanted anyone who might possibly be interested know that i ended up
>getting the kitten from the shelter that we thought might have feline
>asthma.

Congratulations!! :)

> i have an
>appointment with our vet for next wednesday for the second round of boosters
>and to find out what is causing his loud breathing.

If it were my cat, I would hold off on the vaccines until it's determined that
he is 100% healthy. The instructions on the vaccine insert says to only give
to "healthy" animals. You might want to discuss this with your vet.

Lauren
________

Cathy Friedmann
July 11th 03, 04:31 AM
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.net...
> circa Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:51:20 -0500, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
> MaryL ) said,
> > I also think that cats dream. I
> > will sometimes see their little legs move or ears twitch while they are
> > asleep.
> >
> Definitely. Mine have even "chittered" in their sleep.

Dreams full of birds!

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

> Laura