PDA

View Full Version : doesn't want to go for a walk outside anymore

SPillus
July 22nd 03, 02:50 AM
Hi, I'm new here. I'm feeling very worried and I'm hoping someone can shed some
light on this. Over the past month or so my kitty hasn't wanted to go outside
for her usual walk around the yard. Even with my coaxing her with treats, she
turns right around to go back into the house.
Her background: she's 20 years old, she gets 125ml of fluids every day, and a
little more than a month ago she had an in-growing claw taken care of at the
vet.
There's no change in any of her kidney symptoms-eats ok, no change in pee
frequency etc.
She seems so reluctant to walk down the front steps and go for her usual
snooping around the yard.
She's had some stiffness in her joints for years now but she still goes up and
down the 14 stairs inside the house-as recently as today. But why no walking
outside?
I'm puzzled and worried. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thank you so much,
Susan & "Meetoo"

PawsForThought
July 22nd 03, 03:00 AM
>From: (SPillus)
>Date: 7/21/03 9:50 PM Eastern

>Her background: she's 20 years old, she gets 125ml of fluids every day, and a
>little more than a month ago she had an in-growing claw taken care of at the
>vet.
>There's no change in any of her kidney symptoms-eats ok, no change in pee
>frequency etc.
> She seems so reluctant to walk down the front steps and go for her usual
>snooping around the yard.
>She's had some stiffness in her joints for years now but she still goes up
>and
>down the 14 stairs inside the house-as recently as today. But why no walking
>outside?
>I'm puzzled and worried. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
>Thank you so much,
>Susan & "Meetoo"

Hi Susan and Meetoo,
It sounds like your senior lady is probably just feeling old age and arthritis.
How recently has she seen the vet? It's possible he may need to recheck her
blood work. Also, it's possible that he could give her something for her
joints if they are causing her pain.

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
July 22nd 03, 03:00 AM
>From: (SPillus)
>Date: 7/21/03 9:50 PM Eastern

>Her background: she's 20 years old, she gets 125ml of fluids every day, and a
>little more than a month ago she had an in-growing claw taken care of at the
>vet.
>There's no change in any of her kidney symptoms-eats ok, no change in pee
>frequency etc.
> She seems so reluctant to walk down the front steps and go for her usual
>snooping around the yard.
>She's had some stiffness in her joints for years now but she still goes up
>and
>down the 14 stairs inside the house-as recently as today. But why no walking
>outside?
>I'm puzzled and worried. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
>Thank you so much,
>Susan & "Meetoo"

Hi Susan and Meetoo,
It sounds like your senior lady is probably just feeling old age and arthritis.
How recently has she seen the vet? It's possible he may need to recheck her
blood work. Also, it's possible that he could give her something for her
joints if they are causing her pain.

Lauren
________

Cathy Friedmann
July 22nd 03, 03:54 AM
Besides aging (which may account for it in some way), did she see anything
out there the last time, that may've scared her & which she has no desire to
see/smell/encounter again?

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"SPillus" > wrote in message
> Hi, I'm new here. I'm feeling very worried and I'm hoping someone can shed
some
> light on this. Over the past month or so my kitty hasn't wanted to go
outside
> for her usual walk around the yard. Even with my coaxing her with treats,
she
> turns right around to go back into the house.
> Her background: she's 20 years old, she gets 125ml of fluids every day,
and a
> little more than a month ago she had an in-growing claw taken care of at
the
> vet.
> There's no change in any of her kidney symptoms-eats ok, no change in pee
> frequency etc.
> She seems so reluctant to walk down the front steps and go for her usual
> snooping around the yard.
> She's had some stiffness in her joints for years now but she still goes up
and
> down the 14 stairs inside the house-as recently as today. But why no
walking
> outside?
> I'm puzzled and worried. I'd appreciate any help or suggestions.
> Thank you so much,
> Susan & "Meetoo"

SPillus
July 22nd 03, 06:56 AM
Thank you Lauren and Cathy for responding :)
I plan to call the vet tomorrow morning to ask what can be done to comfort
her arthritis.
As far as her being scared of something she saw outside, I never thought of
that. I don't recall anything happening but,
she does appear cautious on the front steps and goes no further. I'll keep an
eye on this.
I'll update my post as things happen.
Thank you again. I've been feeling so panicked tonight.
Susan

SPillus
July 22nd 03, 06:56 AM
Thank you Lauren and Cathy for responding :)
I plan to call the vet tomorrow morning to ask what can be done to comfort
her arthritis.
As far as her being scared of something she saw outside, I never thought of
that. I don't recall anything happening but,
she does appear cautious on the front steps and goes no further. I'll keep an
eye on this.
I'll update my post as things happen.
Thank you again. I've been feeling so panicked tonight.
Susan

PawsForThought
July 22nd 03, 01:45 PM
>From: (SPillus)

>Thank you Lauren and Cathy for responding :)
> I plan to call the vet tomorrow morning to ask what can be done to
>comfort
>her arthritis.
> As far as her being scared of something she saw outside, I never thought
>of
>that. I don't recall anything happening but,
>she does appear cautious on the front steps and goes no further. I'll keep an
>eye on this.
> I'll update my post as things happen.
>Thank you again. I've been feeling so panicked tonight.
>Susan

Good luck, Susan, and let us know what the vet says.

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
July 22nd 03, 01:45 PM
>From: (SPillus)

>Thank you Lauren and Cathy for responding :)
> I plan to call the vet tomorrow morning to ask what can be done to
>comfort
>her arthritis.
> As far as her being scared of something she saw outside, I never thought
>of
>that. I don't recall anything happening but,
>she does appear cautious on the front steps and goes no further. I'll keep an
>eye on this.
> I'll update my post as things happen.
>Thank you again. I've been feeling so panicked tonight.
>Susan

Good luck, Susan, and let us know what the vet says.

Lauren
________

July 23rd 03, 02:28 AM
Susan wrote:
>I plan to call the vet tomorrow morning to
>ask what can be done to comfort
>her arthritis.

Ask your vet about Adequan injections. I did some research on this
treatment and talked a couple of my petsitting clients that have
arthritic cats into trying it. They both are extremely happy with the
outcome of this treatment. One has a 22 year old Siamese and this girl
has done a complete turnaround since she's been getting the treatments,
has much better mobility, and is back to her sassy old self.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

July 23rd 03, 02:28 AM
Susan wrote:
>I plan to call the vet tomorrow morning to
>ask what can be done to comfort
>her arthritis.

Ask your vet about Adequan injections. I did some research on this
treatment and talked a couple of my petsitting clients that have
arthritic cats into trying it. They both are extremely happy with the
outcome of this treatment. One has a 22 year old Siamese and this girl
has done a complete turnaround since she's been getting the treatments,
has much better mobility, and is back to her sassy old self.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

SPillus
July 23rd 03, 10:01 PM
Update on Meetoo and her possible arthritis problem.:
The vet recommended Cosequin for a few weeks to see how she responds. If
the Cosequin's not effective, some kind of pain meds may help. We started the
Cosequin today.
Meetoo also had a blood test done and the results will come tomorrow. The
vet suggested that anemia can be a problem with cats who have renal failure,
thus causing her to be sluggish/lethargic. (Meetoo already receives fluids
daily.)
I'll continue to update when I get the test results tomorrow.
Thank you everyone for responding to my post. I appreciate it so much. I get so
upset when I suspect Meetoo isn't feeling well.
She seems ok for the time being.