PDA

View Full Version : Re: another question-this time about getting a dog-thanks for the

kate
July 25th 03, 02:41 AM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >> The one lesson I have learned in my Dog Mommy-hood is if you get two
> >> dogs, do not get two bitches unless you are prepared to deal with a
> >> lot of strong pack behavior. I will never make that mistake again.
> >> Could be my dogs, but the counselor at the HS warned me of this, and I
> >> didn't heed the warning. I just was too blinded by the Basenji
> >> wrinkly head, huge ears and tail going 1000 mph:

We are actually interested in basenji mixes or pure breeds. I met one
at the anti cruelty society here and it was difficult to conntrol on a
leash. Is that pretty typical? Do they get along with cats?

kate
July 25th 03, 02:41 AM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >> The one lesson I have learned in my Dog Mommy-hood is if you get two
> >> dogs, do not get two bitches unless you are prepared to deal with a
> >> lot of strong pack behavior. I will never make that mistake again.
> >> Could be my dogs, but the counselor at the HS warned me of this, and I
> >> didn't heed the warning. I just was too blinded by the Basenji
> >> wrinkly head, huge ears and tail going 1000 mph:

We are actually interested in basenji mixes or pure breeds. I met one
at the anti cruelty society here and it was difficult to conntrol on a
leash. Is that pretty typical? Do they get along with cats?

-L.
July 25th 03, 03:54 AM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >> The one lesson I have learned in my Dog Mommy-hood is if you get two
> >> dogs, do not get two bitches unless you are prepared to deal with a
> >> lot of strong pack behavior. I will never make that mistake again.
> >> Could be my dogs, but the counselor at the HS warned me of this, and I
> >> didn't heed the warning. I just was too blinded by the Basenji
> >> wrinkly head, huge ears and tail going 1000 mph:
> >>

> http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?action=
> >> ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
> >>
> >> Who says pound dogs aren't cute?
>
> Aww!! Cute! "Better to hear with, my dear," sure comes to mind!

LOL...actually, the ears stayed the same size, and she somewhat grew
into them.

Before: (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

After: (age 5 years)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. <Sigh>

-L.

-L.
July 25th 03, 03:54 AM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >> The one lesson I have learned in my Dog Mommy-hood is if you get two
> >> dogs, do not get two bitches unless you are prepared to deal with a
> >> lot of strong pack behavior. I will never make that mistake again.
> >> Could be my dogs, but the counselor at the HS warned me of this, and I
> >> didn't heed the warning. I just was too blinded by the Basenji
> >> wrinkly head, huge ears and tail going 1000 mph:
> >>

> http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?action=
> >> ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7
> >>
> >> Who says pound dogs aren't cute?
>
> Aww!! Cute! "Better to hear with, my dear," sure comes to mind!

LOL...actually, the ears stayed the same size, and she somewhat grew
into them.

Before: (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

After: (age 5 years)

http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. <Sigh>

-L.

Sherry
July 25th 03, 04:07 AM
>Before: (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)
>

>http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

>After: (age 5 years)
>

>http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

>I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. <Sigh>
>
>-L.

Wow. She *did* grow into those ears. She's really a beautiful dog. She looks
very strong and muscled.

Sherry

Sherry
July 25th 03, 04:07 AM
>Before: (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)
>

>http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

>After: (age 5 years)
>

>http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19

>I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. <Sigh>
>
>-L.

Wow. She *did* grow into those ears. She's really a beautiful dog. She looks
very strong and muscled.

Sherry

-L.
July 25th 03, 06:35 PM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >Before: (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)
> >

> >http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
> tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1
> >
> >After: (age 5 years)
> >

> >http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
> tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19
> >
> >I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. <Sigh>
> >
> >-L.
> >
> Wow. She *did* grow into those ears. She's really a beautiful dog. She looks
> very strong and muscled.
>
> Sherry

Thanks. :) She's solid as a rock, and quick as a flash. I think she
may have some Bully in her or something. Her behavior is pure
Basenji, though.

-L.

-L.
July 25th 03, 06:35 PM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >Before: (first day home, age 9 weeks or so)
> >

> >http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
> tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1
> >
> >After: (age 5 years)
> >

> >http://groups.msn.com/idontmindsCompanionAnimalConnection/shoebox.msnw?ac
> tion=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=19
> >
> >I sometimes miss those sweet puppy days. <Sigh>
> >
> >-L.
> >
> Wow. She *did* grow into those ears. She's really a beautiful dog. She looks
> very strong and muscled.
>
> Sherry

Thanks. :) She's solid as a rock, and quick as a flash. I think she
may have some Bully in her or something. Her behavior is pure
Basenji, though.

-L.

-L.
July 25th 03, 06:53 PM
(kate) wrote in message >...

> We are actually interested in basenji mixes or pure breeds. I met one
> at the anti cruelty society here and it was difficult to conntrol on a
> leash. Is that pretty typical? Do they get along with cats?

Basenjis (even my mix) are not for the feint of heart. They are
incredibly one-minded - hunt, hunt, hunt! While they like humans,
they aren't overtly social, and would much rather run up for a quick
pet, and then run back out to try to find something to kill, and are
always on the move. They are stubborn and resist training, but are
incredibly smart. My dog has never been a good leash walker - she
pulls and wants to hunt. It has taken much training to get her to
where she heels and is a pleasure to walk with.

Puppyhood was pure hell. She simply was too busy playing/hunting to
learn anything. She has (and still has) an attention span of about 3
seconds. The trainer said she was one of the "thickest nerved" dogs
he'd ever seen - her attention to prey and prey drive are incredibly
strong. That being said, she is incredibly affectionate when she
wants to be - she loves people and is attentive when she wants to be.
She also responds to voice commands well - when a prey item is not
within sight. She understands a number of commands, and in that
regard, she's a pleasure. She picked things up very quickly during
training, but putting them into practice was difficult for her - she
is always more interested in whether or not there was a bird or
squirrel to hunt. I have to work with her constantly, to remind her
of her skill package. ;).

She is dog-aggressive (which has been difficult to train out of her),
and will try to kill cats other than ours. She loves our cats,
though, and often times sleeps with one of them. One thing I should
warn you about is that Basenji hair is *impossible* to clean up after
- it is very fine, like eyelashes, and is nearly impossible to vaccuum
up - it is so light. And my dog sheds twice a year - a LOT! She
sheds like a horse - clumps come off, and she needs daily grooming
despite the fact that she licks herself clean all the time.

She is also oily-coated - we call her our "Little Grease Pig" and her
feet stink sometimes. I met one other Basenji owner who said their
dog was oily too, so it may be the breed. I can give her a bath and a
day and a half later, she's oily again.

Anyway, if you are an experienced dog owner, I would recommend the
breed - they are incredibly endearing. But if this is your first or
second dog, and/or you want a dog that is affectionate and attentive,
a Basenji is not for you. And they do make noise despit the
reputation. Compared to my other dog, she's quiet, though, and she
hunts silently.

good luck,

-L.

-L.
July 25th 03, 06:53 PM
(kate) wrote in message >...

> We are actually interested in basenji mixes or pure breeds. I met one
> at the anti cruelty society here and it was difficult to conntrol on a
> leash. Is that pretty typical? Do they get along with cats?

Basenjis (even my mix) are not for the feint of heart. They are
incredibly one-minded - hunt, hunt, hunt! While they like humans,
they aren't overtly social, and would much rather run up for a quick
pet, and then run back out to try to find something to kill, and are
always on the move. They are stubborn and resist training, but are
incredibly smart. My dog has never been a good leash walker - she
pulls and wants to hunt. It has taken much training to get her to
where she heels and is a pleasure to walk with.

Puppyhood was pure hell. She simply was too busy playing/hunting to
learn anything. She has (and still has) an attention span of about 3
seconds. The trainer said she was one of the "thickest nerved" dogs
he'd ever seen - her attention to prey and prey drive are incredibly
strong. That being said, she is incredibly affectionate when she
wants to be - she loves people and is attentive when she wants to be.
She also responds to voice commands well - when a prey item is not
within sight. She understands a number of commands, and in that
regard, she's a pleasure. She picked things up very quickly during
training, but putting them into practice was difficult for her - she
is always more interested in whether or not there was a bird or
squirrel to hunt. I have to work with her constantly, to remind her
of her skill package. ;).

She is dog-aggressive (which has been difficult to train out of her),
and will try to kill cats other than ours. She loves our cats,
though, and often times sleeps with one of them. One thing I should
warn you about is that Basenji hair is *impossible* to clean up after
- it is very fine, like eyelashes, and is nearly impossible to vaccuum
up - it is so light. And my dog sheds twice a year - a LOT! She
sheds like a horse - clumps come off, and she needs daily grooming
despite the fact that she licks herself clean all the time.

She is also oily-coated - we call her our "Little Grease Pig" and her
feet stink sometimes. I met one other Basenji owner who said their
dog was oily too, so it may be the breed. I can give her a bath and a
day and a half later, she's oily again.

Anyway, if you are an experienced dog owner, I would recommend the
breed - they are incredibly endearing. But if this is your first or
second dog, and/or you want a dog that is affectionate and attentive,
a Basenji is not for you. And they do make noise despit the
reputation. Compared to my other dog, she's quiet, though, and she
hunts silently.

good luck,

-L.

Annie Wxill
July 26th 03, 09:54 PM
> wrote in message
> -L. > wrote:
> > Anyway, if you are an experienced dog owner, I would recommend the
> > breed - they are incredibly endearing. But if this is your first or
> > second dog, and/or you want a dog that is affectionate and attentive,
> > a Basenji is not for you. And they do make noise despit the
> > reputation. Compared to my other dog, she's quiet, though, and she
>

> Yep, a kind of gurgly growly noise. It's odd. And yeah, the one Basenji I
> knew wasn't overly affectionate, but he liked it ok.
>
> Alice
As a latecomer to this thread, I don't know what was posted previously.
I've previously been owned by Basenjis. I say owned by, because they are
about as close to being a cat as you can get in a dog. They are extremely
intelligent and independent thinkers. They also are escape artists and not
cautious about running into traffic.
You have to have a good sense of humor to live with one of these dogs.
But, they can be trained if you are willing to make the effort. I took a
Basenji to her Companion Dog degree in obedience. When she wanted to
perform, she was magnificent. I loved it when she outscored the Golden
Retrievers and poodles, etc. Other times, well, like I said, she might as
well be a cat.
She was affectionate, but not in the adoring way of some dogs. Much more
like a cat. I still miss the little yodel that serves as a greeting.
Annie

Annie Wxill
July 26th 03, 09:54 PM
> wrote in message
> -L. > wrote:
> > Anyway, if you are an experienced dog owner, I would recommend the
> > breed - they are incredibly endearing. But if this is your first or
> > second dog, and/or you want a dog that is affectionate and attentive,
> > a Basenji is not for you. And they do make noise despit the
> > reputation. Compared to my other dog, she's quiet, though, and she
>

> Yep, a kind of gurgly growly noise. It's odd. And yeah, the one Basenji I
> knew wasn't overly affectionate, but he liked it ok.
>
> Alice
As a latecomer to this thread, I don't know what was posted previously.
I've previously been owned by Basenjis. I say owned by, because they are
about as close to being a cat as you can get in a dog. They are extremely
intelligent and independent thinkers. They also are escape artists and not
cautious about running into traffic.
You have to have a good sense of humor to live with one of these dogs.
But, they can be trained if you are willing to make the effort. I took a
Basenji to her Companion Dog degree in obedience. When she wanted to
perform, she was magnificent. I loved it when she outscored the Golden
Retrievers and poodles, etc. Other times, well, like I said, she might as
well be a cat.
She was affectionate, but not in the adoring way of some dogs. Much more
like a cat. I still miss the little yodel that serves as a greeting.
Annie

July 26th 03, 11:36 PM
Annie Wxill > wrote:
> You have to have a good sense of humor to live with one of these dogs.
> But, they can be trained if you are willing to make the effort. I took a
> Basenji to her Companion Dog degree in obedience. When she wanted to
> perform, she was magnificent. I loved it when she outscored the Golden
> Retrievers and poodles, etc. Other times, well, like I said, she might as
> well be a cat.

Heh, I don't wnat a basenji, was just remarking on the little experience
I've had with one. Cute dogs but not for me :).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

July 26th 03, 11:36 PM
Annie Wxill > wrote:
> You have to have a good sense of humor to live with one of these dogs.
> But, they can be trained if you are willing to make the effort. I took a
> Basenji to her Companion Dog degree in obedience. When she wanted to
> perform, she was magnificent. I loved it when she outscored the Golden
> Retrievers and poodles, etc. Other times, well, like I said, she might as
> well be a cat.

Heh, I don't wnat a basenji, was just remarking on the little experience
I've had with one. Cute dogs but not for me :).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.