PDA

View Full Version : Polydactyls

Bill Reynolds
July 30th 03, 10:52 PM
Do polydactyls have an extra claw on each paw or just the front paws?

TIA

Remove TIE to reply.

Sherry
July 31st 03, 12:36 AM
>Do polydactyls have an extra claw on each paw or just the front paws?
>
>TIA

Depends. Some have extras on all four feet; some just on the front paws. Some
have one extra per paw; some have two.

Sherry

Sherry
July 31st 03, 12:36 AM
>Do polydactyls have an extra claw on each paw or just the front paws?
>
>TIA

Depends. Some have extras on all four feet; some just on the front paws. Some
have one extra per paw; some have two.

Sherry

July 31st 03, 01:04 AM
Bill wrote:

>Do polydactyls have an extra claw on
>each paw or just the front paws?

It varies and can be any number of combinations. There is no set rule.
:-) My cat Leonard (RB) had "thumbs" on both front paws with an extra
claw that grew out of the space between. Lots of photos of him and his
glorious feet here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1435479&uid=476350

Megan - who misses Leonard and his beautiful feet terribly :-(

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

July 31st 03, 01:04 AM
Bill wrote:

>Do polydactyls have an extra claw on
>each paw or just the front paws?

It varies and can be any number of combinations. There is no set rule.
:-) My cat Leonard (RB) had "thumbs" on both front paws with an extra
claw that grew out of the space between. Lots of photos of him and his
glorious feet here:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1435479&uid=476350

Megan - who misses Leonard and his beautiful feet terribly :-(

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Liz
July 31st 03, 07:22 AM
> We are fostering one with 6 on each front paw and 5 on each rear paw.
>
> Looks like he has catchers mitt on each front paw. Looks neat.
>
> Remove TIE to reply.

I once heard that extra fingers in dogs and humans is a dominant
trait, that is (if the same holds for cats), if that cat was allowed
to breed, all kittens would be born with all those extra fingers. I
wonder if it is in fact dominant.

Liz
July 31st 03, 07:22 AM
> We are fostering one with 6 on each front paw and 5 on each rear paw.
>
> Looks like he has catchers mitt on each front paw. Looks neat.
>
> Remove TIE to reply.

I once heard that extra fingers in dogs and humans is a dominant
trait, that is (if the same holds for cats), if that cat was allowed
to breed, all kittens would be born with all those extra fingers. I
wonder if it is in fact dominant.

Liz
July 31st 03, 07:29 AM
I found a site talking about the trait. It is also dominant in cats:

http://www.breedlist.com/articles/polydact/polydact.html

Liz
July 31st 03, 07:29 AM
I found a site talking about the trait. It is also dominant in cats:

http://www.breedlist.com/articles/polydact/polydact.html

Bill Reynolds
July 31st 03, 09:04 AM
On 30 Jul 2003 23:29:03 -0700, (Liz) wrote:

>I found a site talking about the trait. It is also dominant in cats:
>
>http://www.breedlist.com/articles/polydact/polydact.html

Thanks, good article.

Remove TIE to reply.