PDA

View Full Version : Cat exhibiting behaviors I'm not familiar with

McQualude
September 9th 03, 06:39 AM
I have over 30 years of life experience with cats, but not around kids.

Tommy is a rescue cat that as been with us for 2 years. Perfect in every
way, but lately he is attacking the kids. He isn't hurting them, not
intentionally, but sometimes he accidently scratches them with his claws
and I'm not sure how to make him stop. I've scolded him, but he looks at
me uncomprehendingly.

The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and she
is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds. He
used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him, pull
his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His behavior
has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him, he
doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).

The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.

Theories:
Jealousy - maybe but he gets a lot of attention, about as much as the
kids and he only recently started this behavior
Kittenitus - maybe he is getting more mature and is trying to treat the
kids like kittens... sounds far fetched, but maybe
Nutcase - maybe it is the diet he is on, the behavior started roughly
around the same time, my wife has even suggested we let him fatten up so
he doesn't get so riled; his activity level is way up now that he has
lost weight.

Ideas?
--
McQualude

Kalyahna
September 9th 03, 02:17 PM
"McQualude" > wrote in message
> The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
> My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and she
> is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
> about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds. He
> used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him, pull
> his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His behavior
> has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him, he
> doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
> the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
> bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
>
> The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
> fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
> though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
>
> Theories:
> Jealousy - maybe but he gets a lot of attention, about as much as the
> kids and he only recently started this behavior
> Kittenitus - maybe he is getting more mature and is trying to treat the
> kids like kittens... sounds far fetched, but maybe
> Nutcase - maybe it is the diet he is on, the behavior started roughly
> around the same time, my wife has even suggested we let him fatten up so
> he doesn't get so riled; his activity level is way up now that he has
> lost weight.
>
> Ideas?

I don't have near your years of experience, but you called it "attacking,"
and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive body language. Are his
ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet play-fighting like you would
expect with kittens? Have you considered getting a second cat to take up the
extra energy he seems to have lately?

I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and presumably the
kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated more easily. Perhaps
a solid half hour of long distance playing (string dragging, feather dancers
(?), and such) to tire him out?

Of course, he might be a slight nutcase. *eyes foster who randomly runs
around the apartment for no apparent reason... except to knock stuff off
counters*

Kalyahna
September 9th 03, 02:17 PM

"McQualude" > wrote in message
> The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
> My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and she
> is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
> about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds. He
> used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him, pull
> his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His behavior
> has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him, he
> doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
> the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
> bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
>
> The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
> fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
> though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
>
> Theories:
> Jealousy - maybe but he gets a lot of attention, about as much as the
> kids and he only recently started this behavior
> Kittenitus - maybe he is getting more mature and is trying to treat the
> kids like kittens... sounds far fetched, but maybe
> Nutcase - maybe it is the diet he is on, the behavior started roughly
> around the same time, my wife has even suggested we let him fatten up so
> he doesn't get so riled; his activity level is way up now that he has
> lost weight.
>
> Ideas?

I don't have near your years of experience, but you called it "attacking,"
and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive body language. Are his
ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet play-fighting like you would
expect with kittens? Have you considered getting a second cat to take up the
extra energy he seems to have lately?

I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and presumably the
kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated more easily. Perhaps
a solid half hour of long distance playing (string dragging, feather dancers
(?), and such) to tire him out?

Of course, he might be a slight nutcase. *eyes foster who randomly runs
around the apartment for no apparent reason... except to knock stuff off
counters*

McQualude
September 9th 03, 03:35 PM
Kalyahna spaketh...

> ...but you called it
> "attacking," and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive
> body language. Are his ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet
> play-fighting like you would expect with kittens?

Play fighting, claws retracted; otherwise he would have to go. He isn't
mean, just doing bad things. His behavior would be normal with a kitten.

> Have you considered
> getting a second cat to take up the extra energy he seems to have
> lately?

Yes. My wife is opposed to the idea, she is slightly afraid of cats. I
got this cat as a surprise to demonstrate that cats are not evil. She
loves him and babies him, but doesn't want another.

The more I think about it, maybe we should get another cat.

> I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and
> presumably the kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated
> more easily. Perhaps a solid half hour of long distance playing
> (string dragging, feather dancers (?), and such) to tire him out?

He doesn't know how to play very well. He was abandoned as a kitten and
left on his own for months in an abandoned trailer park. Maybe he is
trying to have the kittenhood he never had! <g>
--
McQualude

McQualude
September 9th 03, 03:35 PM
Kalyahna spaketh...

> ...but you called it
> "attacking," and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive
> body language. Are his ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet
> play-fighting like you would expect with kittens?

Play fighting, claws retracted; otherwise he would have to go. He isn't
mean, just doing bad things. His behavior would be normal with a kitten.

> Have you considered
> getting a second cat to take up the extra energy he seems to have
> lately?

Yes. My wife is opposed to the idea, she is slightly afraid of cats. I
got this cat as a surprise to demonstrate that cats are not evil. She
loves him and babies him, but doesn't want another.

The more I think about it, maybe we should get another cat.

> I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and
> presumably the kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated
> more easily. Perhaps a solid half hour of long distance playing
> (string dragging, feather dancers (?), and such) to tire him out?

He doesn't know how to play very well. He was abandoned as a kitten and
left on his own for months in an abandoned trailer park. Maybe he is
trying to have the kittenhood he never had! <g>
--
McQualude

McQualude
September 9th 03, 03:35 PM
Kalyahna spaketh...

> ...but you called it
> "attacking," and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive
> body language. Are his ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet
> play-fighting like you would expect with kittens?

Play fighting, claws retracted; otherwise he would have to go. He isn't
mean, just doing bad things. His behavior would be normal with a kitten.

> Have you considered
> getting a second cat to take up the extra energy he seems to have
> lately?

Yes. My wife is opposed to the idea, she is slightly afraid of cats. I
got this cat as a surprise to demonstrate that cats are not evil. She
loves him and babies him, but doesn't want another.

The more I think about it, maybe we should get another cat.

> I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and
> presumably the kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated
> more easily. Perhaps a solid half hour of long distance playing
> (string dragging, feather dancers (?), and such) to tire him out?

He doesn't know how to play very well. He was abandoned as a kitten and
left on his own for months in an abandoned trailer park. Maybe he is
trying to have the kittenhood he never had! <g>
--
McQualude

Karen Chuplis
September 9th 03, 05:43 PM
"Kalyahna" > wrote in message
> "McQualude" > wrote in message
> > The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
> > My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and
she
> > is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
> > about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds.
He
> > used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him,
pull
> > his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His
behavior
> > has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him,
he
> > doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
> > the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
> > bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
> >
> > The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
> > fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
> > though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
> >
> > Theories:
> > Jealousy - maybe but he gets a lot of attention, about as much as the
> > kids and he only recently started this behavior
> > Kittenitus - maybe he is getting more mature and is trying to treat the
> > kids like kittens... sounds far fetched, but maybe
> > Nutcase - maybe it is the diet he is on, the behavior started roughly
> > around the same time, my wife has even suggested we let him fatten up so
> > he doesn't get so riled; his activity level is way up now that he has
> > lost weight.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> I don't have near your years of experience, but you called it "attacking,"
> and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive body language. Are
his
> ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet play-fighting like you would
> expect with kittens? Have you considered getting a second cat to take up
the
> extra energy he seems to have lately?

That is my thought.

Karen Chuplis
September 9th 03, 05:43 PM

"Kalyahna" > wrote in message
> "McQualude" > wrote in message
> > The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
> > My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and
she
> > is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
> > about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds.
He
> > used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him,
pull
> > his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His
behavior
> > has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him,
he
> > doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
> > the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
> > bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
> >
> > The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
> > fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
> > though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
> >
> > Theories:
> > Jealousy - maybe but he gets a lot of attention, about as much as the
> > kids and he only recently started this behavior
> > Kittenitus - maybe he is getting more mature and is trying to treat the
> > kids like kittens... sounds far fetched, but maybe
> > Nutcase - maybe it is the diet he is on, the behavior started roughly
> > around the same time, my wife has even suggested we let him fatten up so
> > he doesn't get so riled; his activity level is way up now that he has
> > lost weight.
> >
> > Ideas?
>
> I don't have near your years of experience, but you called it "attacking,"
> and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive body language. Are
his
> ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet play-fighting like you would
> expect with kittens? Have you considered getting a second cat to take up
the
> extra energy he seems to have lately?

That is my thought.

Karen Chuplis
September 9th 03, 05:45 PM
"McQualude" > wrote in message
> Kalyahna spaketh...
>
> > ...but you called it
> > "attacking," and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive
> > body language. Are his ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet
> > play-fighting like you would expect with kittens?
>
> Play fighting, claws retracted; otherwise he would have to go. He isn't
> mean, just doing bad things. His behavior would be normal with a kitten.
>
> > Have you considered
> > getting a second cat to take up the extra energy he seems to have
> > lately?
>
> Yes. My wife is opposed to the idea, she is slightly afraid of cats. I
> got this cat as a surprise to demonstrate that cats are not evil. She
> loves him and babies him, but doesn't want another.
>
> The more I think about it, maybe we should get another cat.
>
> > I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and
> > presumably the kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated
> > more easily. Perhaps a solid half hour of long distance playing
> > (string dragging, feather dancers (?), and such) to tire him out?
>
> He doesn't know how to play very well. He was abandoned as a kitten and
> left on his own for months in an abandoned trailer park. Maybe he is
> trying to have the kittenhood he never had! <g>
> --
> McQualude

Very likely since the kids are playful, he is learning that. I really
suggest a younger cat for him to play with.
Karen

Karen Chuplis
September 9th 03, 05:45 PM

"McQualude" > wrote in message
> Kalyahna spaketh...
>
> > ...but you called it
> > "attacking," and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive
> > body language. Are his ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet
> > play-fighting like you would expect with kittens?
>
> Play fighting, claws retracted; otherwise he would have to go. He isn't
> mean, just doing bad things. His behavior would be normal with a kitten.
>
> > Have you considered
> > getting a second cat to take up the extra energy he seems to have
> > lately?
>
> Yes. My wife is opposed to the idea, she is slightly afraid of cats. I
> got this cat as a surprise to demonstrate that cats are not evil. She
> loves him and babies him, but doesn't want another.
>
> The more I think about it, maybe we should get another cat.
>
> > I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and
> > presumably the kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated
> > more easily. Perhaps a solid half hour of long distance playing
> > (string dragging, feather dancers (?), and such) to tire him out?
>
> He doesn't know how to play very well. He was abandoned as a kitten and
> left on his own for months in an abandoned trailer park. Maybe he is
> trying to have the kittenhood he never had! <g>
> --
> McQualude

Very likely since the kids are playful, he is learning that. I really
suggest a younger cat for him to play with.
Karen

PawsForThought
September 9th 03, 07:53 PM
>"McQualude" > wrote in message
>> The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
>> My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and she
>> is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
>> about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds. He
>> used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him, pull
>> his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His behavior
>> has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him, he
>> doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
>> the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
>> bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
>>
>> The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
>> fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
>> though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
>>
>> Theories:

The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally. You really need to supervise
the children and the cats, and you should not be leaving them alone together.
You should also teach the kids the proper way to handle an animal - that means
no pulling of fur, tail, ears, poking eyes, etc.
________

PawsForThought
September 9th 03, 07:53 PM
>"McQualude" > wrote in message
>> The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
>> My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and she
>> is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
>> about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds. He
>> used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him, pull
>> his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His behavior
>> has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him, he
>> doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
>> the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
>> bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
>>
>> The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
>> fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
>> though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
>>
>> Theories:

The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally. You really need to supervise
the children and the cats, and you should not be leaving them alone together.
You should also teach the kids the proper way to handle an animal - that means
no pulling of fur, tail, ears, poking eyes, etc.
________

PawsForThought
September 9th 03, 07:53 PM
>"McQualude" > wrote in message
>> The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
>> My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and she
>> is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
>> about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds. He
>> used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him, pull
>> his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His behavior
>> has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him, he
>> doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
>> the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
>> bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
>>
>> The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
>> fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
>> though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
>>
>> Theories:

The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally. You really need to supervise
the children and the cats, and you should not be leaving them alone together.
You should also teach the kids the proper way to handle an animal - that means
no pulling of fur, tail, ears, poking eyes, etc.
________

McQualude
September 10th 03, 03:38 AM
PawsForThought spaketh...
> The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally.

You are making assumptions. This type of canned response was the reason I
included the detailed 2nd paragraph. If you can't be bothered to read and
understand my original post, do not bother to post canned responses; they
are not helpful.
--
McQualude

McQualude
September 10th 03, 03:38 AM
PawsForThought spaketh...
> The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally.

You are making assumptions. This type of canned response was the reason I
included the detailed 2nd paragraph. If you can't be bothered to read and
understand my original post, do not bother to post canned responses; they
are not helpful.
--
McQualude

McQualude
September 10th 03, 03:38 AM
PawsForThought spaketh...
> The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally.

You are making assumptions. This type of canned response was the reason I
included the detailed 2nd paragraph. If you can't be bothered to read and
understand my original post, do not bother to post canned responses; they
are not helpful.
--
McQualude

m. L. Briggs
September 10th 03, 09:46 PM
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:38:54 GMT, McQualude >
wrote:

>PawsForThought spaketh...
>> The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally.
>
>You are making assumptions. This type of canned response was the reason I
>included the detailed 2nd paragraph. If you can't be bothered to read and
>understand my original post, do not bother to post canned responses; they
>are not helpful.

This is what I told the kids: cats cannot be played with like a dog
-- no chasing, no yelling, etc (it scares them). Cats need gentle
love: soft sounds, soft petting, etc.

wrote:

>PawsForThought spaketh...
>> The kids have hurt him, perhaps unintentionally.
>
>You are making assumptions. This type of canned response was the reason I
>included the detailed 2nd paragraph. If you can't be bothered to read and
>understand my original post, do not bother to post canned responses; they
>are not helpful.

This is what I told the kids: cats cannot be played with like a dog
-- no chasing, no yelling, etc (it scares them). Cats need gentle
love: soft sounds, soft petting, etc.

Jaycee
September 11th 03, 05:23 AM
This little rescue kitty means no harm - he just needs a "kid" - younger
playcat of his own.

"McQualude" > wrote in message
> I have over 30 years of life experience with cats, but not around kids.
>
> Tommy is a rescue cat that as been with us for 2 years. Perfect in every
> way, but lately he is attacking the kids. He isn't hurting them, not
> intentionally, but sometimes he accidently scratches them with his claws
> and I'm not sure how to make him stop. I've scolded him, but he looks at
> me uncomprehendingly.
>
> The long version for those who are wondering if he is being provoked...
> My oldest daughter is 7, she picked Tommy or he picked her really and she
> is a kid but not a mean kid. Occasionally she chases him but that is
> about as mean as she gets. The youngest is 1, she and Tommy were buds. He
> used to sneak into the crib and sleep with her, let her snuggle him, pull
> his ears, pull his fur, poke his eyes, he was very tolerent. His behavior
> has radically changed. Now he swats at the kids when they walk by him, he
> doesn't extend his claws, but accidents happen. Yesterday he pounced on
> the baby's head and wrapped his paws around her face and pretended to
> bite her head (he didn't, but did accidently scratched her chin).
>
> The scratches are very light surface scratches, like dragging your
> fingernail across your skin. I can't allow the behavior to continue
> though, I have to make him understand it is unacceptable.
>
> Theories:
> Jealousy - maybe but he gets a lot of attention, about as much as the
> kids and he only recently started this behavior
> Kittenitus - maybe he is getting more mature and is trying to treat the
> kids like kittens... sounds far fetched, but maybe
> Nutcase - maybe it is the diet he is on, the behavior started roughly
> around the same time, my wife has even suggested we let him fatten up so
> he doesn't get so riled; his activity level is way up now that he has
> lost weight.
>
> Ideas?
> --
> McQualude

Doug Turner
September 13th 03, 08:56 PM
I have to second the second cat suggestion.

We brought home a stray, and over time his behavior became more and
more aggressively playful towards my wife and me. It got to the point
of debating who should get up in the morning to take the first hit.
Nothing worked to restrain him. Then a relative passed away, and we
"inherited" two cats about 6 months younger than him. They became his
instant (well, more or less) companions and playmates.

From the day we got the other cats, he has never attacked us
(playfully, of course) again. Not once. He is still extremely
affectionate, with the added benefit of the other cats being
affectionate too!

YMMV, but if you can tolerate another cat, it is worth a try.

On 9 Sep 2003 11:45:51 -0500, "Karen Chuplis" >
wrote:

>"McQualude" > wrote in message
>> Kalyahna spaketh...
>>
>> > ...but you called it
>> > "attacking," and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive
>> > body language. Are his ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet
>> > play-fighting like you would expect with kittens?
>>
>> Play fighting, claws retracted; otherwise he would have to go. He isn't
>> mean, just doing bad things. His behavior would be normal with a kitten.
>>
>> > Have you considered
>> > getting a second cat to take up the extra energy he seems to have
>> > lately?
>>
>> Yes. My wife is opposed to the idea, she is slightly afraid of cats. I
>> got this cat as a surprise to demonstrate that cats are not evil. She
>> loves him and babies him, but doesn't want another.
>>
>> The more I think about it, maybe we should get another cat.
>>
>> > I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and
>> > presumably the kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated
>> > more easily. Perhaps a solid half hour of long distance playing
>> > (string dragging, feather dancers (?), and such) to tire him out?
>>
>> He doesn't know how to play very well. He was abandoned as a kitten and
>> left on his own for months in an abandoned trailer park. Maybe he is
>> trying to have the kittenhood he never had! <g>
>> --
>> McQualude
>
>Very likely since the kids are playful, he is learning that. I really
>suggest a younger cat for him to play with.
>Karen

Doug Turner
September 13th 03, 08:56 PM
I have to second the second cat suggestion.

We brought home a stray, and over time his behavior became more and
more aggressively playful towards my wife and me. It got to the point
of debating who should get up in the morning to take the first hit.
Nothing worked to restrain him. Then a relative passed away, and we
"inherited" two cats about 6 months younger than him. They became his
instant (well, more or less) companions and playmates.

From the day we got the other cats, he has never attacked us

wrote:

>"McQualude" > wrote in message
>> Kalyahna spaketh...
>>
>> > ...but you called it
>> > "attacking," and didn't mention whether he's displaying aggressive
>> > body language. Are his ears back, is he making noise, or is it quiet
>> > play-fighting like you would expect with kittens?
>>
>> Play fighting, claws retracted; otherwise he would have to go. He isn't
>> mean, just doing bad things. His behavior would be normal with a kitten.
>>
>> > Have you considered
>> > getting a second cat to take up the extra energy he seems to have
>> > lately?
>>
>> Yes. My wife is opposed to the idea, she is slightly afraid of cats. I
>> got this cat as a surprise to demonstrate that cats are not evil. She
>> loves him and babies him, but doesn't want another.
>>
>> The more I think about it, maybe we should get another cat.
>>
>> > I suppose it's also possible that with that extra energy, and
>> > presumably the kids are quite active, he may be getting overstimulated
>> > more easily. Perhaps a solid half hour of long distance playing
>> > (string dragging, feather dancers (?), and such) to tire him out?
>>
>> He doesn't know how to play very well. He was abandoned as a kitten and
>> left on his own for months in an abandoned trailer park. Maybe he is
>> trying to have the kittenhood he never had! <g>
>> --
>> McQualude
>
>Very likely since the kids are playful, he is learning that. I really
>suggest a younger cat for him to play with.
>Karen

Doug Turner
September 13th 03, 08:56 PM
I have to second the second cat suggestion.

We brought home a stray, and over time his behavior became more and
more aggressively playful towards my wife and me. It got to the point
of debating who should get up in the morning to take the first hit.
Nothing worked to restrain him. Then a relative passed away, and we
"inherited" two cats about 6 months younger than him. They became his
instant (well, more or less) companions and playmates.

From the day we got the other cats, he has never attacked us