PDA

View Full Version : Cats and human babies?

Matt
September 12th 03, 01:02 PM
Hi,

my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
(haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
problems?

Thx,

Matt

~*SooZy*~
September 12th 03, 01:18 PM
There are loads of good sights, that help you to get the cats ready for the
baby before it arrives home... eg getting the nursery ready, cot etc and
training the cats to stay out of there... of course you would never leave
the nursery door open if the baby was in there, and use cat net etc....
millions of people have cats and babies, make sure you empty the litter
trays not your wife, and if she has to she always wears rubber gloves, and
washes her hands afterwards.

good luck, to you :-)

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
"Matt" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

~*SooZy*~
September 12th 03, 01:18 PM
There are loads of good sights, that help you to get the cats ready for the
baby before it arrives home... eg getting the nursery ready, cot etc and
training the cats to stay out of there... of course you would never leave
the nursery door open if the baby was in there, and use cat net etc....
millions of people have cats and babies, make sure you empty the litter
trays not your wife, and if she has to she always wears rubber gloves, and
washes her hands afterwards.

good luck, to you :-)

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
New Pictures added every few days
http://community.webshots.com/user/ragdollcatsuk
"Matt" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

~*SooZy*~
September 12th 03, 01:18 PM
There are loads of good sights, that help you to get the cats ready for the
baby before it arrives home... eg getting the nursery ready, cot etc and
training the cats to stay out of there... of course you would never leave
the nursery door open if the baby was in there, and use cat net etc....
millions of people have cats and babies, make sure you empty the litter
trays not your wife, and if she has to she always wears rubber gloves, and
washes her hands afterwards.

good luck, to you :-)

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
New Pictures added every few days
http://community.webshots.com/user/ragdollcatsuk
"Matt" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

Karen Chuplis
September 12th 03, 01:51 PM
in article , Matt at
wrote on 9/12/03 7:02 AM:

> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

People are so strange. I have friends with cats and babies and they do fine.
I grew up with cats. It was fine. Try to give them the same amount of
attention as usual. Heck, my best friend was often to be found, big pillow
on her lap, baby nursing, kitty cuddled up behind the baby. They all adapted
fine.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
September 12th 03, 01:51 PM
in article , Matt at

wrote on 9/12/03 7:02 AM:

> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

People are so strange. I have friends with cats and babies and they do fine.
I grew up with cats. It was fine. Try to give them the same amount of
attention as usual. Heck, my best friend was often to be found, big pillow
on her lap, baby nursing, kitty cuddled up behind the baby. They all adapted
fine.

Karen

kaeli
September 12th 03, 02:23 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?

Many of us grew up with cats, including myself. You should not have to
surrender your cats just because you're having a child. However, you
will need to supervise the baby and the cats until the baby is old
enough to understand how to properly treat a pet. Expect to need to
supervise interaction until the child is at least 3 or 4, and even after
that, I wouldn't leave them unattended for long.

Babies grab and don't mean to hurt - the cat doesn't know why the baby
hurt it, but scratches or bites to get away. Some cats are far more
tolerant that others. Supervision is the best way to avoid that
situation.

Toddlers chase and just don't know when to leave the cat be. So have a
"safe space" for the cats - a room with a baby gate in the doorway
allows the cats to go somewhere the toddler can't follow. This also
allows you to put the food and litterbox where the toddler can't get
into them.

As your baby grows and can understand, make sure you teach him or her to
respect the cats and love the cats, and you'll have a very happy
household. Don't forget to still pay attention to your kitties! Make
playtime with your baby and your cats together a part of your day to
teach your cats to love and be tolerant of your child as well as teach
your child how to interact with your cats.

Congrats on the new baby. :)

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 12th 03, 02:23 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> [...]

Toddlers chase and just don't know when to leave the cat be. So have a
"safe space" for the cats - a room with a baby gate in the doorway
allows the cats to go somewhere the toddler can't follow. This also
allows you to put the food and litterbox where the toddler can't get
into them.

As your baby grows and can understand, make sure you teach him or her to
respect the cats and love the cats, and you'll have a very happy
household. Don't forget to still pay attention to your kitties! Make
playtime with your baby and your cats together a part of your day to
teach your cats to love and be tolerant of your child as well as teach
your child how to interact with your cats.

Congrats on the new baby. :)

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,

Luvskats00
September 12th 03, 03:09 PM
>my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
>about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
>next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
>don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
>the kitties once the baby is born.

These friends of yours....do they base their cats/babies don't mix theories on
anything specific? Do they have cats/pets at all? Cats and babies do get
along...Besides my own family having cats tracing back to 4 generations, I hear
documented stories on Animal Planet all the time.

Luvskats00
September 12th 03, 03:09 PM
>my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
>about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
>next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
>don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
>the kitties once the baby is born.

These friends of yours....do they base their cats/babies don't mix theories on
anything specific? Do they have cats/pets at all? Cats and babies do get
along...Besides my own family having cats tracing back to 4 generations, I hear
documented stories on Animal Planet all the time.

Luvskats00
September 12th 03, 03:09 PM
>my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
>about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
>next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
>don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
>the kitties once the baby is born.

These friends of yours....do they base their cats/babies don't mix theories on
anything specific? Do they have cats/pets at all? Cats and babies do get
along...Besides my own family having cats tracing back to 4 generations, I hear
documented stories on Animal Planet all the time.

September 12th 03, 03:22 PM
>We are going to have a baby early next
>year and some of our friends keep telling
>us that cats and babies don't mix. My wife
>is starting to wonder if we will have to
>give away the kitties once the baby is
>born.

Tell your wife not to worry. She doesn't have to give the kitties away.

I would advise, however, that she give away her friends...

who obviously have no idea what a *lifetime committment* means and are
unbelieveably ignorant about cats. Now is a good time for your wife to
learn to start standing up for *her own* instead of allowing herself to
be swayed in the wrong direction by the ignorance of others. Once she
has the baby, as the years go by that is definitely something she will
need to know how to do.

There is plenty of research that shows that children that grow up with
cats are better off for it, emotionlly and healthwise, with a much
smaller incidence of allergies and asthma. I have known many people
whose kids grew up with cats and it was definitely a posiive in their
lives.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

September 12th 03, 03:22 PM
>We are going to have a baby early next
>year and some of our friends keep telling
>us that cats and babies don't mix. My wife
>is starting to wonder if we will have to
>give away the kitties once the baby is
>born.

Tell your wife not to worry. She doesn't have to give the kitties away.

I would advise, however, that she give away her friends...

who obviously have no idea what a *lifetime committment* means and are
unbelieveably ignorant about cats. Now is a good time for your wife to
learn to start standing up for *her own* instead of allowing herself to
be swayed in the wrong direction by the ignorance of others. Once she
has the baby, as the years go by that is definitely something she will
need to know how to do.

There is plenty of research that shows that children that grow up with
cats are better off for it, emotionlly and healthwise, with a much
smaller incidence of allergies and asthma. I have known many people
whose kids grew up with cats and it was definitely a posiive in their
lives.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

September 12th 03, 03:22 PM
>We are going to have a baby early next
>year and some of our friends keep telling
>us that cats and babies don't mix. My wife
>is starting to wonder if we will have to
>give away the kitties once the baby is
>born.

Tell your wife not to worry. She doesn't have to give the kitties away.

I would advise, however, that she give away her friends...

who obviously have no idea what a *lifetime committment* means and are
unbelieveably ignorant about cats. Now is a good time for your wife to
learn to start standing up for *her own* instead of allowing herself to
be swayed in the wrong direction by the ignorance of others. Once she
has the baby, as the years go by that is definitely something she will
need to know how to do.

There is plenty of research that shows that children that grow up with
cats are better off for it, emotionlly and healthwise, with a much
smaller incidence of allergies and asthma. I have known many people
whose kids grew up with cats and it was definitely a posiive in their
lives.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

~*SooZy*~
September 12th 03, 03:33 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
> >my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> >about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> >next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> >don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> >the kitties once the baby is born.
>
> These friends of yours....do they base their cats/babies don't mix
theories on
> anything specific? Do they have cats/pets at all? Cats and babies do get
> along...Besides my own family having cats tracing back to 4 generations, I
hear
> documented stories on Animal Planet all the time.

My daughter found out she was pregnant but still went along a brought the
cat she had put a deposit on. She wants them to grow up together :-)

~*SooZy*~
September 12th 03, 03:33 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
> >my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> >about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> >next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> >don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> >the kitties once the baby is born.
>
> These friends of yours....do they base their cats/babies don't mix
theories on
> anything specific? Do they have cats/pets at all? Cats and babies do get
> along...Besides my own family having cats tracing back to 4 generations, I
hear
> documented stories on Animal Planet all the time.

My daughter found out she was pregnant but still went along a brought the
cat she had put a deposit on. She wants them to grow up together :-)

~*SooZy*~
September 12th 03, 03:33 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
> >my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> >about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> >next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> >don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> >the kitties once the baby is born.
>
> These friends of yours....do they base their cats/babies don't mix
theories on
> anything specific? Do they have cats/pets at all? Cats and babies do get
> along...Besides my own family having cats tracing back to 4 generations, I
hear
> documented stories on Animal Planet all the time.

My daughter found out she was pregnant but still went along a brought the
cat she had put a deposit on. She wants them to grow up together :-)

DG511
September 12th 03, 04:38 PM
One of my close friends had 6 cats when her first child was born. The
cat/child relationship was uneventful until Cait began crawling. She'd crawl
toward the cats, and they'd get up and move. Repeat, repeat, repeat, all
afternoon. Then, one day, she caught one that didn't expect her to move as
quickly as she did. Both cat and child survived the event, and Cait began
learning that some soft furry creatures also scratch.

Cait's first three-syllable word was "dangerous." She'd say it and point to
the least child-tolerant of the six cats. She's now 14 and plans to be a
veterinarian.

Her little sister survived babyhood around the cats, too. I'm not sure I'd
have done the cat/child thing the same way, but this was the most laissez-faire
situation I know of, and everything turned out fine.

As for the advice that your wife find better-informed friends? That may sound
a bit harsh, but there's some truth to it. She should at least consistently
second-guess friends who quote long-debunked old wives tales.

Daria
Timing is everything.

[...]

September 12th 03, 04:53 PM
"DG511" > wrote in message
> One of my close friends had 6 cats when her first child was born. The
> cat/child relationship was uneventful until Cait began crawling. She'd
crawl
> toward the cats, and they'd get up and move. Repeat, repeat, repeat, all
> afternoon. Then, one day, she caught one that didn't expect her to move
as
> quickly as she did. Both cat and child survived the event, and Cait began
> learning that some soft furry creatures also scratch.
>
> Cait's first three-syllable word was "dangerous." She'd say it and point
> the least child-tolerant of the six cats. She's now 14 and plans to be a
> veterinarian.
>
> Her little sister survived babyhood around the cats, too. I'm not sure
I'd
> have done the cat/child thing the same way, but this was the most
laissez-faire
> situation I know of, and everything turned out fine.
>
> As for the advice that your wife find better-informed friends? That may
sound
> a bit harsh, but there's some truth to it. She should at least
consistently
> second-guess friends who quote long-debunked old wives tales.
>
> Daria
> Timing is everything.

I think people say it because of toxoplasmosis in pregnancy, which as long
as you are careful about changing litter trays, get someone else to do it,
or wear gloves and your wash hands afterwards.

Also because cats have been known to snuggle up to a nice warm sleeping baby
who is not strong enough to push it off when a new born baby, but babies
grow so quickly within months if a cat laid over their face they would push
it off! So you keep the nursery door shut! use cat nets on prams!

Most cats stay away from little people that make that horrible crying sound!
and when they are older those little people sometimes try and grab them.
Until they are taught "be nice to the cats" so cats stay away normally
anyway.

I had cats and babies, and never had a problem... after a hard days work
with a crying baby with colic, once you finally sit down to relax there is
nothing better than to have your dear devoted cat purring away on your lap
to help you un wind!

Keep the cats! and congratulations to you both :-)

~*SooZy*~
September 12th 03, 04:53 PM

"DG511" > wrote in message
> One of my close friends had 6 cats when her first child was born. The
> cat/child relationship was uneventful until Cait began crawling. She'd
crawl
> toward the cats, and they'd get up and move. Repeat, repeat, repeat, all
> afternoon. Then, one day, she caught one that didn't expect her to move
as
> quickly as she did. Both cat and child survived the event, and Cait began
> learning that some soft furry creatures also scratch.
>
> Cait's first three-syllable word was "dangerous." She'd say it and point
> the least child-tolerant of the six cats. She's now 14 and plans to be a
> veterinarian.
>
> Her little sister survived babyhood around the cats, too. I'm not sure
I'd
> have done the cat/child thing the same way, but this was the most
laissez-faire
> situation I know of, and everything turned out fine.
>
> As for the advice that your wife find better-informed friends? That may
sound
> a bit harsh, but there's some truth to it. She should at least
consistently
> second-guess friends who quote long-debunked old wives tales.
>
> Daria
> Timing is everything.

I think people say it because of toxoplasmosis in pregnancy, which as long
as you are careful about changing litter trays, get someone else to do it,
or wear gloves and your wash hands afterwards.

Also because cats have been known to snuggle up to a nice warm sleeping baby
who is not strong enough to push it off when a new born baby, but babies
grow so quickly within months if a cat laid over their face they would push
it off! So you keep the nursery door shut! use cat nets on prams!

Most cats stay away from little people that make that horrible crying sound!
and when they are older those little people sometimes try and grab them.
Until they are taught "be nice to the cats" so cats stay away normally
anyway.

I had cats and babies, and never had a problem... after a hard days work
with a crying baby with colic, once you finally sit down to relax there is
nothing better than to have your dear devoted cat purring away on your lap
to help you un wind!

Keep the cats! and congratulations to you both :-)

William Hamblen
September 12th 03, 05:44 PM
On 2003-09-12, Matt > wrote:

> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born.

Babies and cats get along just fine. One thing is for your wife to
avoid litter box duty while pregnant. Cat feces sometimes contains
toxoplasmosis and toxoplasmosis sometimes causes birth defects, so do
all the litter cleaning for her. Also keep the child away from the
litter box. It's gross when your kid decides the litter box might make
a good toy.

William Hamblen
September 12th 03, 05:44 PM

On 2003-09-12, Matt > wrote:

> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born.

Babies and cats get along just fine. One thing is for your wife to
avoid litter box duty while pregnant. Cat feces sometimes contains
toxoplasmosis and toxoplasmosis sometimes causes birth defects, so do
all the litter cleaning for her. Also keep the child away from the
litter box. It's gross when your kid decides the litter box might make
a good toy.

Karen Chuplis
September 12th 03, 06:13 PM
"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> "DG511" > wrote in message
> > One of my close friends had 6 cats when her first child was born. The
> > cat/child relationship was uneventful until Cait began crawling. She'd
> crawl
> > toward the cats, and they'd get up and move. Repeat, repeat, repeat,
all
> > afternoon. Then, one day, she caught one that didn't expect her to move
> as
> > quickly as she did. Both cat and child survived the event, and Cait
began
> > learning that some soft furry creatures also scratch.
> >
> > Cait's first three-syllable word was "dangerous." She'd say it and
point
> > the least child-tolerant of the six cats. She's now 14 and plans to be
> > veterinarian.
> >
> > Her little sister survived babyhood around the cats, too. I'm not sure
> I'd
> > have done the cat/child thing the same way, but this was the most
> laissez-faire
> > situation I know of, and everything turned out fine.
> >
> > As for the advice that your wife find better-informed friends? That may
> sound
> > a bit harsh, but there's some truth to it. She should at least
> consistently
> > second-guess friends who quote long-debunked old wives tales.
> >
> > Daria
> > Timing is everything.
>
> I think people say it because of toxoplasmosis in pregnancy, which as long
> as you are careful about changing litter trays, get someone else to do it,
> or wear gloves and your wash hands afterwards.
>
> Also because cats have been known to snuggle up to a nice warm sleeping
baby
> who is not strong enough to push it off when a new born baby, but babies
> grow so quickly within months if a cat laid over their face they would
push
> it off! So you keep the nursery door shut! use cat nets on prams!

Which is a fallacy anyway. They now believe that incidents of finding cats
with babies is that the babies died of SIDS and the cats knew something was
wrong and went to cuddle with them. I wish I could remember the article I
read this in, but this is indeed more likely and in any case, there are
plenty of ways to keep a cat out of a childs room. My friends had a net with
a zipper opening over the crib (which actually saved the kid from a very
nasty fall out of the crib when he got to the climbing stage. and they
replaced the door on the room with a screen door.

Karen Chuplis
September 12th 03, 06:13 PM

"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> "DG511" > wrote in message
> > One of my close friends had 6 cats when her first child was born. The
> > cat/child relationship was uneventful until Cait began crawling. She'd
> crawl
> > toward the cats, and they'd get up and move. Repeat, repeat, repeat,
all
> > afternoon. Then, one day, she caught one that didn't expect her to move
> as
> > quickly as she did. Both cat and child survived the event, and Cait
began
> > learning that some soft furry creatures also scratch.
> >
> > Cait's first three-syllable word was "dangerous." She'd say it and
point
> > the least child-tolerant of the six cats. She's now 14 and plans to be
> > veterinarian.
> >
> > Her little sister survived babyhood around the cats, too. I'm not sure
> I'd
> > have done the cat/child thing the same way, but this was the most
> laissez-faire
> > situation I know of, and everything turned out fine.
> >
> > As for the advice that your wife find better-informed friends? That may
> sound
> > a bit harsh, but there's some truth to it. She should at least
> consistently
> > second-guess friends who quote long-debunked old wives tales.
> >
> > Daria
> > Timing is everything.
>
> I think people say it because of toxoplasmosis in pregnancy, which as long
> as you are careful about changing litter trays, get someone else to do it,
> or wear gloves and your wash hands afterwards.
>
> Also because cats have been known to snuggle up to a nice warm sleeping
baby
> who is not strong enough to push it off when a new born baby, but babies
> grow so quickly within months if a cat laid over their face they would
push
> it off! So you keep the nursery door shut! use cat nets on prams!

Which is a fallacy anyway. They now believe that incidents of finding cats
with babies is that the babies died of SIDS and the cats knew something was
wrong and went to cuddle with them. I wish I could remember the article I
read this in, but this is indeed more likely and in any case, there are
plenty of ways to keep a cat out of a childs room. My friends had a net with
a zipper opening over the crib (which actually saved the kid from a very
nasty fall out of the crib when he got to the climbing stage. and they
replaced the door on the room with a screen door.

MsKitty834
September 12th 03, 08:24 PM
One other point nobody has raised - statistical studies show that people who
had cats in the house when they were infants are significantly LESS likely to
have asthma/life-threatening allergies. With asthma practically epidemic in
children now - the incidence has gone up awfully in the last ten years or so -
this gives you something serious on the up-side for keeping the cat.

Mary T.

[...]

jjmoreta
September 12th 03, 10:05 PM
Matt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

Congratulations Matt! I'm due in 8.5 weeks and we have no plans to get rid
of our first babies. They are also very friendly (our oldest, the tom, is
also extremely friendly to strangers).

What we did is to ban the cats from the bedroom. We're going to be
cosleeping with a sidecar crib arrangement (one side of crib dropped
attached to the bed), so I don't want to take chances. It's also good for
my husband's allergies (who was raised with cats coincidentally and is still
allergic to them). We started this a few weeks ago so they would have time
to adjust and wouldn't associate it with the baby. They're not taking it
well, but I'm hoping that they'll get used to it, particularly our oldest
(the dominant one) who likes to sleep with us and has taken to pawing and
crying at the door at all hours of the night. *sigh* It doesn't help that
he's extremely intelligent and does not respond to the usual kitty
discipline (our youngest has no idea where the squirts of water come from,
but he knows it's us).

I know the stories of cats smothering babies may not be true, but the crib
would be an awfully convenient place to sleep next to "mommy" and my oldest
is over 25 lbs, so I'm simply not taking chances. When the baby can move on
its own, we will reconsider the decision. I'm hoping that Luna ends up not
wanting to be around. Our littlest one, Mina, is half-Siamese and skittish
as heck anyways. She will be very cautious around the baby for at least a
few months and will probably bolt at every snuffle or cry.

When it comes to the baby crawling, I'm not worried. What ticks me off with
most people and child/pet interaction is they think they can train the pet.
They should be training BOTH of them. My niece does not treat animals at
all well (chases and torments them) and it started when she was a baby. I
plan on supervising my baby at all times when the cats are in the room and
teaching the baby that pulling fur is not a good thing to do.

I was actually thinking early this morning after Luna woke me up again at
4am that it would be easiest if we got rid of them. But in the same second,
I knew that I could never do that. As a pregnant mom-to-be, I do think of
my baby and furbabies in a different light and with different priorities,
but the love and the desire to make a complete family is still there. I
made the commitment when I purchased them, knowing that we would start our
family sometime during their lifetimes. I just feel guilty that I've been
so grumpy to them and inwardly-focused at different points in my pregnancy.

- Joanne

jjmoreta
September 12th 03, 10:05 PM

Matt wrote:
> [...]

all well (chases and torments them) and it started when she was a baby. I
plan on supervising my baby at all times when the cats are in the room and
teaching the baby that pulling fur is not a good thing to do.

I was actually thinking early this morning after Luna woke me up again at
4am that it would be easiest if we got rid of them. But in the same second,
I knew that I could never do that. As a pregnant mom-to-be, I do think of
my baby and furbabies in a different light and with different priorities,
but the love and the desire to make a complete family is still there. I
made the commitment when I purchased them, knowing that we would start our
family sometime during their lifetimes. I just feel guilty that I've been
so grumpy to them and inwardly-focused at different points in my pregnancy.

Priscilla H Ballou
September 12th 03, 10:28 PM
MsKitty834 > quoth:
>One other point nobody has raised - statistical studies show that people who
>had cats in the house when they were infants are significantly LESS likely to
>have asthma/life-threatening allergies. With asthma practically epidemic in
>children now - the incidence has gone up awfully in the last ten years or so -
>this gives you something serious on the up-side for keeping the cat.

Actually, someone else did, I believe, but it's important and can easily
bear repeating.

Priscilla

Priscilla H Ballou
September 12th 03, 10:28 PM
MsKitty834 > quoth:
>One other point nobody has raised - statistical studies show that people who
>had cats in the house when they were infants are significantly LESS likely to
>have asthma/life-threatening allergies. With asthma practically epidemic in
>children now - the incidence has gone up awfully in the last ten years or so -
>this gives you something serious on the up-side for keeping the cat.

Actually, someone else did, I believe, but it's important and can easily
bear repeating.

Priscilla

Priscilla H Ballou
September 12th 03, 10:28 PM
MsKitty834 > quoth:
>One other point nobody has raised - statistical studies show that people who
>had cats in the house when they were infants are significantly LESS likely to
>have asthma/life-threatening allergies. With asthma practically epidemic in
>children now - the incidence has gone up awfully in the last ten years or so -
>this gives you something serious on the up-side for keeping the cat.

Actually, someone else did, I believe, but it's important and can easily
bear repeating.

Priscilla

Karen Chuplis
September 12th 03, 10:38 PM
"jjmoreta" > wrote in message
> [...]
> its own, we will reconsider the decision. I'm hoping that Luna ends up
not
> wanting to be around. Our littlest one, Mina, is half-Siamese and
skittish
> as heck anyways. She will be very cautious around the baby for at least a
> few months and will probably bolt at every snuffle or cry.
>
> When it comes to the baby crawling, I'm not worried. What ticks me off
with
> most people and child/pet interaction is they think they can train the
pet.
> They should be training BOTH of them. My niece does not treat animals at
> all well (chases and torments them) and it started when she was a baby. I
> plan on supervising my baby at all times when the cats are in the room and
> teaching the baby that pulling fur is not a good thing to do.

On this note, animals are pretty perceptive too. They recognize "young
unpredictable baby" of just about any species and generally act accordingly
and either stay away, or come fret at YOU when the baby cries as if to say
"Your child NEEDS you."

Karen

Karen Chuplis
September 12th 03, 10:38 PM

"jjmoreta" > wrote in message
> [...]
> as heck anyways. She will be very cautious around the baby for at least a
> few months and will probably bolt at every snuffle or cry.
>
> When it comes to the baby crawling, I'm not worried. What ticks me off
with
> most people and child/pet interaction is they think they can train the
pet.
> They should be training BOTH of them. My niece does not treat animals at
> all well (chases and torments them) and it started when she was a baby. I
> plan on supervising my baby at all times when the cats are in the room and
> teaching the baby that pulling fur is not a good thing to do.

On this note, animals are pretty perceptive too. They recognize "young
unpredictable baby" of just about any species and generally act accordingly
and either stay away, or come fret at YOU when the baby cries as if to say

Christine Burel
September 13th 03, 05:05 PM
"Matt" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

I have had cats with both my children as babies and had no problems. You do
still have to plan to spend some time with the cats and give them attention
(sometimes that may be harder 'cause you'll be tired with a new baby); I had
one cat who was just so smart and knew that when my son Alex was put to bed
that it was now "lap time." Frodo and Alex also shared the crib for daytime
naps (at night Frodo slept with me) and it was quite cute. The other thing
to remember is that you always teach your kids respect for the animals. I
made sure that my kids only got to pet the kitties if they were "nice" to
them and gentle; my kids learned how to act around animals in a positive way
and then were happy when the kitties came around to sit with them.

Good luck -- you and your kitties and kids will do fine. You'll get a lot
of "well-meaning advice" from friends and relatives that you can say "thank
you" for and then do what you feel is best anyway!
Christine Burel

Christine Burel
September 13th 03, 05:05 PM
"Matt" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

I have had cats with both my children as babies and had no problems. You do
still have to plan to spend some time with the cats and give them attention
(sometimes that may be harder 'cause you'll be tired with a new baby); I had
one cat who was just so smart and knew that when my son Alex was put to bed
that it was now "lap time." Frodo and Alex also shared the crib for daytime
naps (at night Frodo slept with me) and it was quite cute. The other thing
to remember is that you always teach your kids respect for the animals. I
made sure that my kids only got to pet the kitties if they were "nice" to
them and gentle; my kids learned how to act around animals in a positive way
and then were happy when the kitties came around to sit with them.

Good luck -- you and your kitties and kids will do fine. You'll get a lot
of "well-meaning advice" from friends and relatives that you can say "thank
you" for and then do what you feel is best anyway!
Christine Burel

Christine Burel
September 13th 03, 05:05 PM
"Matt" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> problems?
>
> Thx,
>
> Matt

I have had cats with both my children as babies and had no problems. You do
still have to plan to spend some time with the cats and give them attention
(sometimes that may be harder 'cause you'll be tired with a new baby); I had
one cat who was just so smart and knew that when my son Alex was put to bed
that it was now "lap time." Frodo and Alex also shared the crib for daytime
naps (at night Frodo slept with me) and it was quite cute. The other thing
to remember is that you always teach your kids respect for the animals. I
made sure that my kids only got to pet the kitties if they were "nice" to
them and gentle; my kids learned how to act around animals in a positive way
and then were happy when the kitties came around to sit with them.

Good luck -- you and your kitties and kids will do fine. You'll get a lot
of "well-meaning advice" from friends and relatives that you can say "thank
you" for and then do what you feel is best anyway!
Christine Burel

de de
September 24th 03, 11:58 PM
kaeli > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> enlightened us with...
> > my wife and I have two indoor only cats (female and male, both fixed,
> > about 1 1/2 years old, healthy). We are going to have a baby early
> > next year and some of our friends keep telling us that cats and babies
> > don't mix. My wife is starting to wonder if we will have to give away
> > the kitties once the baby is born. Both our cats are very people
> > friendly (the tomcat in particular loves to interact with humans) both
> > to us and strangers alike and neither of them scratches or bites
> > (haven't had a single scratch in over a year). Should I expect
> > problems?
> >

> Many of us grew up with cats, including myself. You should not have to
> surrender your cats just because you're having a child. However, you
> will need to supervise the baby and the cats until the baby is old
> enough to understand how to properly treat a pet. Expect to need to
> supervise interaction until the child is at least 3 or 4, and even after
> that, I wouldn't leave them unattended for long.
>
> Babies grab and don't mean to hurt - the cat doesn't know why the baby
> hurt it, but scratches or bites to get away. Some cats are far more
> tolerant that others. Supervision is the best way to avoid that
> situation.
>
> Toddlers chase and just don't know when to leave the cat be. So have a
> "safe space" for the cats - a room with a baby gate in the doorway
> allows the cats to go somewhere the toddler can't follow. This also
> allows you to put the food and litterbox where the toddler can't get
> into them.
>
> As your baby grows and can understand, make sure you teach him or her to
> respect the cats and love the cats, and you'll have a very happy
> household. Don't forget to still pay attention to your kitties! Make
> playtime with your baby and your cats together a part of your day to
> teach your cats to love and be tolerant of your child as well as teach
> your child how to interact with your cats.
>
> Congrats on the new baby. :)

> ~kaeli~
> Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
> at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
> it leaves streaks.
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
I have had a cat all of my life and have passed my love of cats to
my daughter. she is now an adult. I supervised her with a cat while
she was little. We have never had any problems. All of my cats have
been affectionate and trusting. A vet once told me, that a good pet
is the reward from a loving master. I hate that word master. I do
not think of myself as a master. My cat has a personality of his own.
I love all cats , and they seem to know it. Its funny sometimes in
my travels strange cats will follow me. I am a firm believer that a
cat should be kept in doors for their own safety. It breaks my heart
when I see a dead cat on the side of the road.
love your cat dee dee.

de de
September 24th 03, 11:58 PM