PDA

View Full Version : Re: I found a lump

Linda E
September 17th 03, 02:02 AM
Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
treatment they suggest.
Linda

Linda E
September 17th 03, 02:02 AM
Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
treatment they suggest.
Linda

Karen Chuplis
September 17th 03, 02:21 AM
in article , Linda E at
wrote on 9/16/03 8:02 PM:

> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

oh dear. Keep us posted :(

Karen

Karen Chuplis
September 17th 03, 02:21 AM
in article , Linda E at
wrote on 9/16/03 8:02 PM:

> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

oh dear. Keep us posted :(

Karen

Karen Chuplis
September 17th 03, 02:21 AM
in article , Linda E at
wrote on 9/16/03 8:02 PM:

> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

oh dear. Keep us posted :(

Karen

Cheryl
September 17th 03, 02:36 AM
In ,
Linda E > composed with style:
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated
> sarcoma. It has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site.
> She is getting a consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt
> there for whatever treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Oh, Linda that sucks! :( I hope Cornell proves it isn't...

Cheryl
September 17th 03, 02:36 AM
In ,
Linda E > composed with style:
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated
> sarcoma. It has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site.
> She is getting a consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt
> there for whatever treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Oh, Linda that sucks! :( I hope Cornell proves it isn't...

Cheryl
September 17th 03, 02:36 AM
In ,
Linda E > composed with style:
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated
> sarcoma. It has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site.
> She is getting a consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt
> there for whatever treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Oh, Linda that sucks! :( I hope Cornell proves it isn't...

Betsy
September 17th 03, 03:50 AM
Wow. I was afraid of this. Please treat this as aggressively as you can
afford.

Aggie had such a sarcoma. The first vet took it out, not believing what it
was. It was a delayed reaction to a rabies vaccine as well, possibly as
long as 3 years (with 13 cats I can't remember everything quite as precisely
as I'd like).

We went to U Penn, had prophylactic chemo while waiting for surgery, and
then radical amputation of the leg and the hip. She got along quite well
with 3 legs, and then succumbed less than a year later to what could have
been latent FIP. Or, in fact it could have been a metastasis (although they
are rare for this cancer).

I wish you and your cat well. Will you please continue to update us? Or at
least me personally :)

remo
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Betsy
September 17th 03, 03:50 AM
Wow. I was afraid of this. Please treat this as aggressively as you can
afford.

Aggie had such a sarcoma. The first vet took it out, not believing what it
was. It was a delayed reaction to a rabies vaccine as well, possibly as
long as 3 years (with 13 cats I can't remember everything quite as precisely
as I'd like).

We went to U Penn, had prophylactic chemo while waiting for surgery, and
then radical amputation of the leg and the hip. She got along quite well
with 3 legs, and then succumbed less than a year later to what could have
been latent FIP. Or, in fact it could have been a metastasis (although they
are rare for this cancer).

I wish you and your cat well. Will you please continue to update us? Or at
least me personally :)

remo
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Betsy
September 17th 03, 03:50 AM
Wow. I was afraid of this. Please treat this as aggressively as you can
afford.

Aggie had such a sarcoma. The first vet took it out, not believing what it
was. It was a delayed reaction to a rabies vaccine as well, possibly as
long as 3 years (with 13 cats I can't remember everything quite as precisely
as I'd like).

We went to U Penn, had prophylactic chemo while waiting for surgery, and
then radical amputation of the leg and the hip. She got along quite well
with 3 legs, and then succumbed less than a year later to what could have
been latent FIP. Or, in fact it could have been a metastasis (although they
are rare for this cancer).

I wish you and your cat well. Will you please continue to update us? Or at
least me personally :)

remo
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Karen M.
September 17th 03, 06:15 PM
"Linda E" > wrote in message >...
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Linda, I hope this isn't the case. We'll be keeping our fingers
crossed for you, and sending lots of luck!

Karen M.

Karen M.
September 17th 03, 06:15 PM

"Linda E" > wrote in message >...
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Linda, I hope this isn't the case. We'll be keeping our fingers
crossed for you, and sending lots of luck!

Karen M.

Phil P.
September 18th 03, 07:50 AM
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Hi Linda,

Is this Betsy? :(((

Can't make a difinitive diagnosis without a biopsy. But before you go that
route, you might want to consider ultrasounds. By imaging the lump, the
margins can be accurately determined as well its invasiveness. This will
show your vet how wide the surgical excision needs to be to remove the mass
entirely without cutting unnecessarily wide margins. Also, many tumors and
lumps have areas that are necrotic - which if biopsied can lead to inclusive
results. These areas can be detected with ultrasounds and avoided so that
the more diagnostic areas can biopsied.

Where is the lump? Rabies vaccines should be given in right rear leg as
distally as possible.

I hope its just a cyst. Please keep me posted.

Good luck.

Phil

Phil P.
September 18th 03, 07:50 AM
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Hi Linda,

Is this Betsy? :(((

Can't make a difinitive diagnosis without a biopsy. But before you go that
route, you might want to consider ultrasounds. By imaging the lump, the
margins can be accurately determined as well its invasiveness. This will
show your vet how wide the surgical excision needs to be to remove the mass
entirely without cutting unnecessarily wide margins. Also, many tumors and
lumps have areas that are necrotic - which if biopsied can lead to inclusive
results. These areas can be detected with ultrasounds and avoided so that
the more diagnostic areas can biopsied.

Where is the lump? Rabies vaccines should be given in right rear leg as
distally as possible.

I hope its just a cyst. Please keep me posted.

Good luck.

Phil

Phil P.
September 18th 03, 07:50 AM
"Linda E" > wrote in message
.. .
> Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma. It
> has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> treatment they suggest.
> Linda

Hi Linda,

Is this Betsy? :(((

Can't make a difinitive diagnosis without a biopsy. But before you go that
route, you might want to consider ultrasounds. By imaging the lump, the
margins can be accurately determined as well its invasiveness. This will
show your vet how wide the surgical excision needs to be to remove the mass
entirely without cutting unnecessarily wide margins. Also, many tumors and
lumps have areas that are necrotic - which if biopsied can lead to inclusive
results. These areas can be detected with ultrasounds and avoided so that
the more diagnostic areas can biopsied.

Where is the lump? Rabies vaccines should be given in right rear leg as
distally as possible.

I hope its just a cyst. Please keep me posted.

Good luck.

Phil

Linda E
September 18th 03, 12:05 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Linda E" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > Just back from the vet's... she suspects a vaccine associated sarcoma.
It
> > has been 3 years since a rabies vaccine at this site. She is getting a
> > consult from Cornell. We will be making an appt there for whatever
> > treatment they suggest.
> > Linda
>
> Hi Linda,
>
> Is this Betsy? :(((
>
> Can't make a difinitive diagnosis without a biopsy. But before you go
that
> route, you might want to consider ultrasounds. By imaging the lump, the
> margins can be accurately determined as well its invasiveness. This will
> show your vet how wide the surgical excision needs to be to remove the
mass
> entirely without cutting unnecessarily wide margins. Also, many tumors and
> lumps have areas that are necrotic - which if biopsied can lead to
inclusive
> results. These areas can be detected with ultrasounds and avoided so that
> the more diagnostic areas can biopsied.
>
> Where is the lump? Rabies vaccines should be given in right rear leg as
> distally as possible.
>
> I hope its just a cyst. Please keep me posted.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Phil

Hi Phil,

Yup, it's Betsy......the lump is in her right, rear flank... my vet doesn't
give vac's in the leg - another topic for another day. The last time Betsy
had the rabies vac, the other vet gave it to her and it was in another
location (maybe leg? don't recall..) so the last time she was vacc'd in this
site was 3 years ago.

We definately will have either ultrasound or CT, whatever Cornell suggests,
and have her surgery there. I guess the question will be (if it is
malignant) whether they want to do radiation or not. (I have no experience
with this).

Will keep you posted.

Linda

Linda E