PDA

View Full Version : mammary cancer

Betsy
September 17th 03, 03:58 AM
I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.

Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?

My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
in a couple of weeks.

Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me feel
better).

So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her to
make it!

Shawn & Michelle
September 17th 03, 05:19 AM
Good luck with your kitty's surgery and recovery!

I just started lurking here because one of my cats also has mammary
cancer and I wanted to get any information I could on it from people
who have been through the same thing with their pets.

My girl may not be doing as well as yours - her tumor is about 2 cm
and there 'may' be some spreading to her lungs and bowels. The
X-rays were not clear - either the cancer has spread or it's other
things associated with being elderly. She's 15. She'll be undergoing
an ultasound on Thursday, and hopefully that'll be more conclusive.

From what I've read, your kitty has a great chance! Her tumor is
small and hasn't spread. I believe some of the internet studies I've
read say that if the tumor is less than 2 cm, the median survival
rate is over 3 years. This may be a fairly low number just because
the average cat that gets mammary cancer is already 10 to 12
years old.

Our vet wanted to do just a lumpectomy - which makes me think
I need to change vets! But, she's been great with my cats on other
issues, so I'll wait and see what she says after the ultasound. I
don't think there's any point do doing surgery unless it's a radical
mastectomy (in my limited experience - based on what I've read!).

Good luck with your girl's surgery tomorrow! I hope everything
turns out well!

Michelle

"Betsy" -0> wrote in message
> I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
> Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
> My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
> in a couple of weeks.
>
> Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me
feel
> better).
>
> So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her
> make it!

Shawn & Michelle
September 17th 03, 05:19 AM
Good luck with your kitty's surgery and recovery!

I just started lurking here because one of my cats also has mammary
cancer and I wanted to get any information I could on it from people
who have been through the same thing with their pets.

My girl may not be doing as well as yours - her tumor is about 2 cm
and there 'may' be some spreading to her lungs and bowels. The
X-rays were not clear - either the cancer has spread or it's other
things associated with being elderly. She's 15. She'll be undergoing
an ultasound on Thursday, and hopefully that'll be more conclusive.

From what I've read, your kitty has a great chance! Her tumor is

"Betsy" -0> wrote in message
> I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
> Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
> My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
> in a couple of weeks.
>
> Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me
feel
> better).
>
> So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her
> make it!

Shawn & Michelle
September 17th 03, 05:19 AM
Good luck with your kitty's surgery and recovery!

I just started lurking here because one of my cats also has mammary
cancer and I wanted to get any information I could on it from people
who have been through the same thing with their pets.

My girl may not be doing as well as yours - her tumor is about 2 cm
and there 'may' be some spreading to her lungs and bowels. The
X-rays were not clear - either the cancer has spread or it's other
things associated with being elderly. She's 15. She'll be undergoing
an ultasound on Thursday, and hopefully that'll be more conclusive.

From what I've read, your kitty has a great chance! Her tumor is

"Betsy" -0> wrote in message
> I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
> Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
> My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
> in a couple of weeks.
>
> Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me
feel
> better).
>
> So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her
> make it!

-L.
September 17th 03, 07:34 PM
"Betsy" -0> wrote in message >...
> I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
> Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
> My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
> in a couple of weeks.
>
> Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me feel
> better).
>
> So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her to
> make it!

I know of one kitty where it was caught early, treated, and she lived
six years. She was older when she developed it (I think 10 or 11).

Best of luck to you & your kit!

-L.

-L.
September 17th 03, 07:34 PM

"Betsy" -0> wrote in message >...
> I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
> Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
> My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
> in a couple of weeks.
>
> Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me feel
> better).
>
> So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her to
> make it!

I know of one kitty where it was caught early, treated, and she lived
six years. She was older when she developed it (I think 10 or 11).

Best of luck to you & your kit!

-L.

Betsy
September 18th 03, 03:57 AM
Thank you!!!!

"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> "Betsy" -0> wrote in message
> > I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
> >
> > Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> > years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
> >
> > My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning
chemo
> > in a couple of weeks.
> >
> > Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> > involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> > excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me
feel
> > better).
> >
> > So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> > money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want
her to
> > make it!
>

> I know of one kitty where it was caught early, treated, and she lived
> six years. She was older when she developed it (I think 10 or 11).
>
> Best of luck to you & your kit!
>
> -L.

Betsy
September 18th 03, 03:57 AM
Thank you!!!!

"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> "Betsy" -0> wrote in message
> > I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
> >
> > Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> > years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
> >
> > My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning
chemo
> > in a couple of weeks.
> >
> > Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> > involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> > excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me
feel
> > better).
> >
> > So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> > money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want
her to
> > make it!
>

> I know of one kitty where it was caught early, treated, and she lived
> six years. She was older when she developed it (I think 10 or 11).
>
> Best of luck to you & your kit!
>
> -L.

Betsy
September 18th 03, 03:57 AM
Thank you!!!!

"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> "Betsy" -0> wrote in message
> > I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
> >
> > Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
> > years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
> >
> > My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning
chemo
> > in a couple of weeks.
> >
> > Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
> > involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
> > excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me
feel
> > better).
> >
> > So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
> > money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want
her to
> > make it!
>

> I know of one kitty where it was caught early, treated, and she lived
> six years. She was older when she developed it (I think 10 or 11).
>
> Best of luck to you & your kit!
>
> -L.

Michael Aitken
September 18th 03, 10:03 PM
Have a look at the alternative 80% successful treatment for "breast
cancer" in animals using acupuncture.
http://users.med.auth.gr/~karanik/english/articles/apcancer.html

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:58:02 -0400, "Betsy" -0> wrotf:

>I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
>Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
>years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
>My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
>in a couple of weeks.
>
>Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
>involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
>excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me feel
>better).
>
>So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
>money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her to
>make it!

Michael Aitken
September 18th 03, 10:03 PM
Have a look at the alternative 80% successful treatment for "breast
cancer" in animals using acupuncture.
http://users.med.auth.gr/~karanik/english/articles/apcancer.html

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:58:02 -0400, "Betsy" -0> wrotf:

>I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
>Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
>years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
>My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
>in a couple of weeks.
>
>Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
>involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
>excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me feel
>better).
>
>So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
>money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her to
>make it!

Michael Aitken
September 18th 03, 10:03 PM
Have a look at the alternative 80% successful treatment for "breast
cancer" in animals using acupuncture.
http://users.med.auth.gr/~karanik/english/articles/apcancer.html

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:58:02 -0400, "Betsy" -0> wrotf:

>I've done my homework and adenocarcinoma seems hard to beat.
>
>Do any cats survive it? Any at ALL? Everything I've read says 1 to 3
>years, but there must be some who are actually cured, right?
>
>My kitty is having a radical lateral mastectomy tomorrow & beginning chemo
>in a couple of weeks.
>
>Positives: what I thought was a small tumor (1 1/2 cm.), no lung
>involvement, no lymph node involvement, margins clear (but small), in
>excellent health otherwise (I know that means nothing, but it makes me feel
>better).
>
>So do I worry & watch or is there any hope at all? Or am I throwing my
>money away and making her miserable? She's a sweet thing, and I want her to
>make it!

Kristofer D. Dale
September 21st 03, 07:31 AM
In alt.med.veterinary Shawn & Michelle > wrote:

> I just started lurking here because one of my cats also has mammary
> cancer and I wanted to get any information I could on it from people
> who have been through the same thing with their pets.

You may find the following article interesting, I think Dr. Knight has
had positive results with cats and dogs, in addition to horses...

http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/cancer/060801_cancer_can2.shtml

--
_o Kristofer Dale,
_ \<,_ ragged individualist,