PDA

View Full Version : Kitten concerns

Dave
September 18th 03, 07:47 PM
Hi,

My neighbours mistreated then abandoned a 8 week-old(?) kitten. I like
the little guy, but he's kind of a handful and gets into feisty play (I
try to play with him but I also have to work at home) such as
scratching, biting, jumping onto my neck, biting and scratching my ears,
neck, and head,etc.

My spouse is visually impaired (we have no kids) and is leery of cats.
The kitty has taken a swat at her a couple of times and scratched her.
(She was reaching to pick him up, which is a big step for her) The
kitty's on probation right now, and he isn't helping his case with such
antics.

I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
damaged him? He seems physically healthy.

I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?

PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
I've heard that's not good.

Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Alison Perera
September 18th 03, 08:02 PM
In article >, Dave > wrote:

> I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
> wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
> discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
> attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
> again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
> damaged him? He seems physically healthy.

Yep, it's normal. Thankfully he is in his most malleable stage, so
whether or not his prior experiences taught him that rough is OK, you
can change that. Here's a good page about training baby kittens to play
nice.

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/kitten_play.htm

My rote response is to get another kitten. Your kitten NEEDS to
play-fight and play-hunt in order to develop normally. Either you can
devote the time and energy to giving him this interaction yourself, or
you can foist him off on another kitty and they can get all the
stimulation and interaction they need. :)

> I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
> attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?

Please give him a chance. I really believe that with patience and
consistency he will learn.

> PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> I've heard that's not good.

It's the lactose. I give my guys a tiny taste of ice cream now and again
but giving a lot will cause the squirts. Try goat's milk which is easier
to digest.

-Alison in OH

Alison Perera
September 18th 03, 08:02 PM

In article >, Dave > wrote:

> I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
> wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
> discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
> attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
> again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
> damaged him? He seems physically healthy.

Yep, it's normal. Thankfully he is in his most malleable stage, so
whether or not his prior experiences taught him that rough is OK, you
can change that. Here's a good page about training baby kittens to play
nice.

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/kitten_play.htm

My rote response is to get another kitten. Your kitten NEEDS to
play-fight and play-hunt in order to develop normally. Either you can
devote the time and energy to giving him this interaction yourself, or
you can foist him off on another kitty and they can get all the
stimulation and interaction they need. :)

> I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
> attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?

Please give him a chance. I really believe that with patience and
consistency he will learn.

> PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> I've heard that's not good.

It's the lactose. I give my guys a tiny taste of ice cream now and again
but giving a lot will cause the squirts. Try goat's milk which is easier
to digest.

-Alison in OH

Bill
September 18th 03, 08:11 PM
>"Dave" > wrote in message ...
> Hi,
>
> My neighbours mistreated then abandoned a 8 week-old(?) kitten. I like
> the little guy, but he's kind of a handful and gets into feisty play (I
> try to play with him but I also have to work at home) such as
> scratching, biting, jumping onto my neck, biting and scratching my ears,
> neck, and head,etc.
>
> My spouse is visually impaired (we have no kids) and is leery of cats.
> The kitty has taken a swat at her a couple of times and scratched her.
> (She was reaching to pick him up, which is a big step for her) The
> kitty's on probation right now, and he isn't helping his case with such
> antics.
>
> I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
> wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
> discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
> attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
> again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
> damaged him? He seems physically healthy.
>
> I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
> attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?
>
> PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> I've heard that's not good.
>
> Any responses are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

I'm assuming your spouse is afraid or leery of the cat's claws.

You can buy a scissors-like tool at a pet supply store to trim the cat's
claws, but you have to be very careful not to clip the claw so far that you
hit the blood vessel in the claw. Get someone to show you how to do it
properly. You don't have to clip much of the claw, just enough to blunt the
sharp point.

Another possibility is to use the plastic caps that go on the claw. I
believe they're called Soft Paws, and they have to be redone regularly.

Get some cat toys to expend some of that kitten energy, then pet the kitten
when it's in a quiet mood. Trying to pet the kitten when it's in a playful
mood only increases the risk you'll be scratched. Most cats love the
feathers-on-the-end-of-a-stick toy. A toy squeak-mouse is fun as is a ball
of some type.

Once the kitten reaches adulthood, it will be less playful.

Bill

Bill
September 18th 03, 08:11 PM
> [...]

You can buy a scissors-like tool at a pet supply store to trim the cat's
claws, but you have to be very careful not to clip the claw so far that you
hit the blood vessel in the claw. Get someone to show you how to do it
properly. You don't have to clip much of the claw, just enough to blunt the
sharp point.

Another possibility is to use the plastic caps that go on the claw. I
believe they're called Soft Paws, and they have to be redone regularly.

Get some cat toys to expend some of that kitten energy, then pet the kitten
when it's in a quiet mood. Trying to pet the kitten when it's in a playful
mood only increases the risk you'll be scratched. Most cats love the
feathers-on-the-end-of-a-stick toy. A toy squeak-mouse is fun as is a ball
of some type.

Once the kitten reaches adulthood, it will be less playful.

dgk
September 18th 03, 08:16 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:02:04 -0400, Alison Perera
> wrote:

>In article >, Dave > wrote:
>
>> I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
>> wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
>> discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
>> attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
>> again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
>> damaged him? He seems physically healthy.
>
>Yep, it's normal. Thankfully he is in his most malleable stage, so
>whether or not his prior experiences taught him that rough is OK, you
>can change that. Here's a good page about training baby kittens to play
>nice.
>
>http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/kitten_play.htm
>
>My rote response is to get another kitten. Your kitten NEEDS to
>play-fight and play-hunt in order to develop normally. Either you can
>devote the time and energy to giving him this interaction yourself, or
>you can foist him off on another kitty and they can get all the
>stimulation and interaction they need. :)
>
>> I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
>> attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?
>
>Please give him a chance. I really believe that with patience and
>consistency he will learn.
>
>> PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
>> I've heard that's not good.
>
>It's the lactose. I give my guys a tiny taste of ice cream now and again
>but giving a lot will cause the squirts. Try goat's milk which is easier
>to digest.
>
>-Alison in OH

I've tried the lactate milk which worked out ok. Also, there is a milk
sold in small containers at the pet store. It's made my Whiskas which
isn't exactly a premium brand but I get it for the boys anyway. As a
treat.

> [...]

>stimulation and interaction they need. :)
>
>> I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
>> attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?
>
>Please give him a chance. I really believe that with patience and
>consistency he will learn.
>
>> PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
>> I've heard that's not good.
>
>It's the lactose. I give my guys a tiny taste of ice cream now and again
>but giving a lot will cause the squirts. Try goat's milk which is easier
>to digest.
>
>-Alison in OH

I've tried the lactate milk which worked out ok. Also, there is a milk
sold in small containers at the pet store. It's made my Whiskas which
isn't exactly a premium brand but I get it for the boys anyway. As a

whayface
September 18th 03, 08:44 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:47:33 -0600, Dave > wrote:

>PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
>I've heard that's not good.

I would say to try it and if it does not give them the "Runs" no
problems. If it gives him the "Runs" stop giving it to him. I have
four and they all like milk and cheese and they have had no problem
with either. Just use a little common sense when giving it to them.

I give the four of mine maybe 2 slices of cheese a day and like a half
cup of milk a day.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

whayface
September 18th 03, 08:44 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:47:33 -0600, Dave > wrote:

>PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
>I've heard that's not good.

I would say to try it and if it does not give them the "Runs" no
problems. If it gives him the "Runs" stop giving it to him. I have
four and they all like milk and cheese and they have had no problem
with either. Just use a little common sense when giving it to them.

I give the four of mine maybe 2 slices of cheese a day and like a half
cup of milk a day.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

whayface
September 18th 03, 08:44 PM
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:47:33 -0600, Dave > wrote:

>PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
>I've heard that's not good.

I would say to try it and if it does not give them the "Runs" no
problems. If it gives him the "Runs" stop giving it to him. I have
four and they all like milk and cheese and they have had no problem
with either. Just use a little common sense when giving it to them.

I give the four of mine maybe 2 slices of cheese a day and like a half
cup of milk a day.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Dave
September 18th 03, 11:34 PM
Alison Perera wrote:

> In article >, Dave > wrote:

<>

Thanks for the helpful response and link, Alison! I just came home from
work and he was sleeping in his lil' bed. Cute or what!

Dave

Dave
September 18th 03, 11:34 PM
Alison Perera wrote:

<>

Alison Perera wrote:

<>

Bill wrote:

> >"Dave" > wrote in message ...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My neighbours mistreated then abandoned a 8 week-old(?) kitten. I like
> > the little guy, but he's kind of a handful and gets into feisty play (I
> > try to play with him but I also have to work at home) such as
> > scratching, biting, jumping onto my neck, biting and scratching my ears,
> > neck, and head,etc.
> >
> > My spouse is visually impaired (we have no kids) and is leery of cats.
> > The kitty has taken a swat at her a couple of times and scratched her.
> > (She was reaching to pick him up, which is a big step for her) The
> > kitty's on probation right now, and he isn't helping his case with such
> > antics.
> >
> > I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
> > wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
> > discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
> > attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
> > again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
> > damaged him? He seems physically healthy.
> >
> > I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
> > attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?
> >
> > PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> > I've heard that's not good.
> >
> > Any responses are appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
>
> I'm assuming your spouse is afraid or leery of the cat's claws.
>
> You can buy a scissors-like tool at a pet supply store to trim the cat's
> claws, but you have to be very careful not to clip the claw so far that you
> hit the blood vessel in the claw. Get someone to show you how to do it
> properly. You don't have to clip much of the claw, just enough to blunt the
> sharp point.
>
> Another possibility is to use the plastic caps that go on the claw. I
> believe they're called Soft Paws, and they have to be redone regularly.
>
> Get some cat toys to expend some of that kitten energy, then pet the kitten
> when it's in a quiet mood. Trying to pet the kitten when it's in a playful
> mood only increases the risk you'll be scratched. Most cats love the
> feathers-on-the-end-of-a-stick toy. A toy squeak-mouse is fun as is a ball
> of some type.
>
> Once the kitten reaches adulthood, it will be less playful.
>
> Bill

Thanks, Bill!

Dave

Dave
September 18th 03, 11:34 PM
Bill wrote:

> >"Dave" > wrote in message ...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My neighbours mistreated then abandoned a 8 week-old(?) kitten. I like
> > the little guy, but he's kind of a handful and gets into feisty play (I
> > try to play with him but I also have to work at home) such as
> > scratching, biting, jumping onto my neck, biting and scratching my ears,
> > neck, and head,etc.
> >
> > My spouse is visually impaired (we have no kids) and is leery of cats.
> > The kitty has taken a swat at her a couple of times and scratched her.
> > (She was reaching to pick him up, which is a big step for her) The
> > kitty's on probation right now, and he isn't helping his case with such
> > antics.
> >
> > I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
> > wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
> > discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
> > attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
> > again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
> > damaged him? He seems physically healthy.
> >
> > I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
> > attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?
> >
> > PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> > I've heard that's not good.
> >
> > Any responses are appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
>
> I'm assuming your spouse is afraid or leery of the cat's claws.
>
> You can buy a scissors-like tool at a pet supply store to trim the cat's
> claws, but you have to be very careful not to clip the claw so far that you
> hit the blood vessel in the claw. Get someone to show you how to do it
> properly. You don't have to clip much of the claw, just enough to blunt the
> sharp point.
>
> Another possibility is to use the plastic caps that go on the claw. I
> believe they're called Soft Paws, and they have to be redone regularly.
>
> Get some cat toys to expend some of that kitten energy, then pet the kitten
> when it's in a quiet mood. Trying to pet the kitten when it's in a playful
> mood only increases the risk you'll be scratched. Most cats love the
> feathers-on-the-end-of-a-stick toy. A toy squeak-mouse is fun as is a ball
> of some type.
>
> Once the kitten reaches adulthood, it will be less playful.
>
> Bill

Thanks, Bill!

Dave

Dave
September 18th 03, 11:34 PM
Bill wrote:

> >"Dave" > wrote in message ...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My neighbours mistreated then abandoned a 8 week-old(?) kitten. I like
> > the little guy, but he's kind of a handful and gets into feisty play (I
> > try to play with him but I also have to work at home) such as
> > scratching, biting, jumping onto my neck, biting and scratching my ears,
> > neck, and head,etc.
> >
> > My spouse is visually impaired (we have no kids) and is leery of cats.
> > The kitty has taken a swat at her a couple of times and scratched her.
> > (She was reaching to pick him up, which is a big step for her) The
> > kitty's on probation right now, and he isn't helping his case with such
> > antics.
> >
> > I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
> > wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
> > discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and somewhat
> > attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does it
> > again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
> > damaged him? He seems physically healthy.
> >
> > I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
> > attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue group?
> >
> > PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> > I've heard that's not good.
> >
> > Any responses are appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave
>
> I'm assuming your spouse is afraid or leery of the cat's claws.
>
> You can buy a scissors-like tool at a pet supply store to trim the cat's
> claws, but you have to be very careful not to clip the claw so far that you
> hit the blood vessel in the claw. Get someone to show you how to do it
> properly. You don't have to clip much of the claw, just enough to blunt the
> sharp point.
>
> Another possibility is to use the plastic caps that go on the claw. I
> believe they're called Soft Paws, and they have to be redone regularly.
>
> Get some cat toys to expend some of that kitten energy, then pet the kitten
> when it's in a quiet mood. Trying to pet the kitten when it's in a playful
> mood only increases the risk you'll be scratched. Most cats love the
> feathers-on-the-end-of-a-stick toy. A toy squeak-mouse is fun as is a ball
> of some type.
>
> Once the kitten reaches adulthood, it will be less playful.
>
> Bill

Thanks, Bill!

Dave

Dave
September 18th 03, 11:36 PM
whayface wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:47:33 -0600, Dave > wrote:
>
> >PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> >I've heard that's not good.
>
> I would say to try it and if it does not give them the "Runs" no
> problems. If it gives him the "Runs" stop giving it to him. I have
> four and they all like milk and cheese and they have had no problem
> with either. Just use a little common sense when giving it to them.
>
> I give the four of mine maybe 2 slices of cheese a day and like a half
> cup of milk a day.
>
> http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Thanks, whayface!

Cute cats!
Dave

Dave
September 18th 03, 11:36 PM

whayface wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:47:33 -0600, Dave > wrote:
>
> >PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some, but
> >I've heard that's not good.
>
> I would say to try it and if it does not give them the "Runs" no
> problems. If it gives him the "Runs" stop giving it to him. I have
> four and they all like milk and cheese and they have had no problem
> with either. Just use a little common sense when giving it to them.
>
> I give the four of mine maybe 2 slices of cheese a day and like a half
> cup of milk a day.
>
> http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Thanks, whayface!

Cute cats!
Dave

Alison
September 19th 03, 11:30 AM
Hi dave ,
You can get special Whiskas kitten milk from the supermarket .
Kittens like to play attack so buy him a soft toy you can distract him
with and he can play with , distraction is beter than punishment. If
he gets to nasty , give him some time out , either leave the room or
pop him into another room.
Please read Think Like a Cat and Psycho Kitty by Pam Johnson Bennet
for more tips and advice.

--
Alison
Links to animal information websites

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My neighbours mistreated then abandoned a 8 week-old(?) kitten. I
like
> the little guy, but he's kind of a handful and gets into feisty play
(I
> try to play with him but I also have to work at home) such as
> scratching, biting, jumping onto my neck, biting and scratching my
ears,
> neck, and head,etc.
>
> My spouse is visually impaired (we have no kids) and is leery of
cats.
> The kitty has taken a swat at her a couple of times and scratched
her.
> (She was reaching to pick him up, which is a big step for her) The
> kitty's on probation right now, and he isn't helping his case with
such
> antics.
>
> I know this qualifies as fairly normal kitten behaviour, but I'm
> wondering if we really are cat people. Is it possible to train or
> discipline a kitten effectively? He seems smart and alert and
somewhat
> attentive to gentle scolding, but then he just turns around and does
it
> again. Is it possible the abuse (very, very, very rough play) has
> damaged him? He seems physically healthy.
>
> I've tried to find the kitty a home with no success and we both got
> attached to him. Maybe we should turn him over to a cat rescue
group?

> PS Why shouldn't you give cats milk? He really, really wants some,
but
> I've heard that's not good.
>
> Any responses are appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Dave
September 19th 03, 10:33 PM
Alison wrote:

> Hi dave ,
> You can get special Whiskas kitten milk from the supermarket .
> Kittens like to play attack so buy him a soft toy you can distract him
> with and he can play with , distraction is beter than punishment. If
> he gets to nasty , give him some time out , either leave the room or
> pop him into another room.
> Please read Think Like a Cat and Psycho Kitty by Pam Johnson Bennet
> for more tips and advice.

Thanks, Alison!

He has a best friend/whipping boy, Tigger stuffed toy for those
occassions.

dave

Dave
September 19th 03, 10:33 PM