PDA

View Full Version : Adopted stray has fishhead breath

Jeff Smithpeters
September 21st 03, 12:54 AM
I've had him wormed, de-fleaed, washed. He's gotten his leuk test
(negative) and his leuk and rabies shot. He's a hell of a sport about
all this, too. He seems grateful to be taken in by someone and to be safe.

But the poor fellah has fishhead breath. He does have a bottom incisor
missing. Could an infection have set up in there? I'm not so much
worried about the smell as about his health.

What would account for fishhead breath in a cat judged to be about four
years old and who is now intestinal parasite free?

Karen
September 21st 03, 01:44 AM
in article vQ5bb.2332$AH4.253@lakeread06, Jeff Smithpeters at
wrote on 9/20/03 6:54 PM:

> I've had him wormed, de-fleaed, washed. He's gotten his leuk test
> (negative) and his leuk and rabies shot. He's a hell of a sport about
> all this, too. He seems grateful to be taken in by someone and to be safe.
>
> But the poor fellah has fishhead breath. He does have a bottom incisor
> missing. Could an infection have set up in there? I'm not so much
> worried about the smell as about his health.
>
> What would account for fishhead breath in a cat judged to be about four
> years old and who is now intestinal parasite free?

It could be other teeth in the mouth. Did the vet look in there? Usually, if
cooperative, that's the first thing they look at. I don't know how long
you've had him, but it may just take his system a while to adjust to
complete health as well. I'm glad you took him in. Sounds like a great cat.

Karen

wrote on 9/20/03 6:54 PM:

> I've had him wormed, de-fleaed, washed. He's gotten his leuk test
> (negative) and his leuk and rabies shot. He's a hell of a sport about
> all this, too. He seems grateful to be taken in by someone and to be safe.
>
> But the poor fellah has fishhead breath. He does have a bottom incisor
> missing. Could an infection have set up in there? I'm not so much
> worried about the smell as about his health.
>
> What would account for fishhead breath in a cat judged to be about four
> years old and who is now intestinal parasite free?

It could be other teeth in the mouth. Did the vet look in there? Usually, if
cooperative, that's the first thing they look at. I don't know how long
you've had him, but it may just take his system a while to adjust to
complete health as well. I'm glad you took him in. Sounds like a great cat.

Karen

m. L. Briggs
September 21st 03, 04:59 AM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:54:34 -0500, Jeff Smithpeters
> wrote:

>I've had him wormed, de-fleaed, washed. He's gotten his leuk test
>(negative) and his leuk and rabies shot. He's a hell of a sport about
>all this, too. He seems grateful to be taken in by someone and to be safe.
>
>But the poor fellah has fishhead breath. He does have a bottom incisor
>missing. Could an infection have set up in there? I'm not so much
>worried about the smell as about his health.
>
>What would account for fishhead breath in a cat judged to be about four
>years old and who is now intestinal parasite free?
When my Siamese (RB) developed bad breath, the Vet found two
teeth that had decay at gumline (she was about 14). He removed the
teeth and she was her sweet old self again. MLB

m. L. Briggs
September 21st 03, 04:59 AM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:54:34 -0500, Jeff Smithpeters
> wrote:

>I've had him wormed, de-fleaed, washed. He's gotten his leuk test
>(negative) and his leuk and rabies shot. He's a hell of a sport about
>all this, too. He seems grateful to be taken in by someone and to be safe.
>
>But the poor fellah has fishhead breath. He does have a bottom incisor
>missing. Could an infection have set up in there? I'm not so much
>worried about the smell as about his health.
>
>What would account for fishhead breath in a cat judged to be about four
>years old and who is now intestinal parasite free?
When my Siamese (RB) developed bad breath, the Vet found two
teeth that had decay at gumline (she was about 14). He removed the
teeth and she was her sweet old self again. MLB

m. L. Briggs
September 21st 03, 04:59 AM
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 18:54:34 -0500, Jeff Smithpeters
> wrote:

>I've had him wormed, de-fleaed, washed. He's gotten his leuk test
>(negative) and his leuk and rabies shot. He's a hell of a sport about
>all this, too. He seems grateful to be taken in by someone and to be safe.
>
>But the poor fellah has fishhead breath. He does have a bottom incisor
>missing. Could an infection have set up in there? I'm not so much
>worried about the smell as about his health.
>
>What would account for fishhead breath in a cat judged to be about four
>years old and who is now intestinal parasite free?
When my Siamese (RB) developed bad breath, the Vet found two
teeth that had decay at gumline (she was about 14). He removed the
teeth and she was her sweet old self again. MLB

Cheryl
September 21st 03, 07:32 AM
In ,
Karen > composed with style:
> in article vQ5bb.2332$AH4.253@lakeread06, Jeff Smithpeters at
> wrote on 9/20/03 6:54 PM:
>
>> I've had him wormed, de-fleaed, washed. He's gotten his leuk test
>> (negative) and his leuk and rabies shot. He's a hell of a sport
>> about
>> all this, too. He seems grateful to be taken in by someone and to
>> be safe.

I've been through a few of these guys and you hit it on the head about
being happy to have a home. It's like they *know* they aren't meant
to live out there. I get happy tears for the lil won you took in. :)

Cheryl
September 21st 03, 07:32 AM
In ,
Karen > composed with style: