PDA

View Full Version : to feed or not to feed visiting cat

Lydia
September 22nd 03, 07:20 PM
I have a friend... no really, it isn't me... but my friend is being visited
by a cat who she said looked skinny when she first started coming around.
So she was feeding her and would let her in only to part of their house when
the weather was bad. She comes twice a day for food and always leaves at
night and sounds to me like she prefers it outside, but likes my friend as
she has left her dead presents on the doorstep. She says she otherwise
looks to be in good shape - just skinny.

All of a sudden the cat showed up with a collar on and a note attached to
the collar saying this cat doesn't belong to you so stop feeding it. So
now, of course, the cat is visiting regularly and deploying her best feed me
tactics which can be so hard to ignore coming from such a cute face.

What should my friend do? I want to say if the original owners cared so
much about what the cat was eating they wouldn't let it outside where she
can hunt and kill her own food. Or if there's a medical reason - that she
should only be eating a special food - again why let her live so much of her
life outside where she can eat plenty of other critters on her own. And
besides which, the cat is in my friend's yard - her private property. So
seems as though she could just as easily send a note back telling them to
keep their [un-collared until now so that no one would know if it were
stray, feral, or belonged to someone] cat out of her yard if they don't want
her to feed it. If they're so concerned about it's well being, keep it
inside where it will be safe from passing cars, dogs, foxes, diseases, and
good hearted people like my friend who are saving the owners some $ on their
cat food expenses.

But then, I guess if the cat can hunt as she's showed, then she can also
feed herself and maybe the owners wishes should be respected and she should
be left to be on her own.

In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?

Thanks,
Lydia

kaeli
September 22nd 03, 07:58 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> But then, I guess if the cat can hunt as she's showed, then she can also
> feed herself and maybe the owners wishes should be respected and she should
> be left to be on her own.
>
> In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?

If the cat is skinny - feed it. The owners obviously aren't caring for
it very well.

If the cat were supposed to be on a special diet, it should not be
roaming about. If the owners want people to leave it alone, they should
take care to keep it on their property.

Cats that make kills don't always eat the kill. When I had a large
backyard as a child, we let our cats out. They'd often make kills, but
we never saw a bite taken out of them (dead carcasses on the porch).
They'd be totally intact - just dead.

Also, area wildlife can be poisonous to eat, depending on your area and
the use of pesticides and critter-control chemicals. Cats (or any
predators) rarely catch totally healthy adult animals. They go for the
sick, weak, old, or young. If they get a sick one, it could be deadly. A
person I know that lets their cats out lost one when it ate a poisoned
mouse from the neighboring farm.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 22nd 03, 07:58 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> [...]

take care to keep it on their property.

Cats that make kills don't always eat the kill. When I had a large
backyard as a child, we let our cats out. They'd often make kills, but
we never saw a bite taken out of them (dead carcasses on the porch).
They'd be totally intact - just dead.

Also, area wildlife can be poisonous to eat, depending on your area and
the use of pesticides and critter-control chemicals. Cats (or any
predators) rarely catch totally healthy adult animals. They go for the
sick, weak, old, or young. If they get a sick one, it could be deadly. A
person I know that lets their cats out lost one when it ate a poisoned
mouse from the neighboring farm.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,

September 22nd 03, 08:49 PM
>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>also allowed to roam freely.

I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
if you know what I mean... ;-)

Megan (hoping the cat ends up in a caring home - nudge-nudge wink-wink)

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

September 22nd 03, 08:49 PM
>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>also allowed to roam freely.

I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
if you know what I mean... ;-)

Megan (hoping the cat ends up in a caring home - nudge-nudge wink-wink)

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

September 22nd 03, 08:49 PM
>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>also allowed to roam freely.

I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
if you know what I mean... ;-)

Megan (hoping the cat ends up in a caring home - nudge-nudge wink-wink)

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Alison
September 22nd 03, 09:50 PM
Hi Lydia,
Being from the UK where we have many indoor/outdoor cats , I'm gong
to disagree with everyone else and say you should tell your friend to
leave the cat alone. Just because your friend thinks the cat is skinny
, doesn't mean to say it is . Cats are opportunists and your friend
is enticing it away from its owners. She leaves at night to go home.
Cats often bring dead prey as presents, especially females. The cat
has an owner who has told your friend to leave it alone . Don't impose
your beliefs on someone else's cat .

--
Alison

Rescues.
http://mysite.freeserve.com/AnimalRescueLinksUK/

Links to animal information websites
http://mysite.freeserve.com/petinfolinks/

"Lydia" > wrote in message
> I have a friend... no really, it isn't me... but my friend is being
visited
> by a cat who she said looked skinny when she first started coming
around.
> So she was feeding her and would let her in only to part of their
house when
> the weather was bad. She comes twice a day for food and always
leaves at
> night and sounds to me like she prefers it outside, but likes my
friend as
> she has left her dead presents on the doorstep. She says she
otherwise
> looks to be in good shape - just skinny.
>
> All of a sudden the cat showed up with a collar on and a note
attached to
> the collar saying this cat doesn't belong to you so stop feeding it.
So
> now, of course, the cat is visiting regularly and deploying her best
feed me
> tactics which can be so hard to ignore coming from such a cute face.
>
> What should my friend do? I want to say if the original owners
cared so
> much about what the cat was eating they wouldn't let it outside
where she
> can hunt and kill her own food. Or if there's a medical reason -
that she
> should only be eating a special food - again why let her live so
much of her
> life outside where she can eat plenty of other critters on her own.
And
> besides which, the cat is in my friend's yard - her private
property. So
> seems as though she could just as easily send a note back telling
them to
> keep their [un-collared until now so that no one would know if it
were
> stray, feral, or belonged to someone] cat out of her yard if they
don't want
> her to feed it. If they're so concerned about it's well being, keep
it
> inside where it will be safe from passing cars, dogs, foxes,
diseases, and
> good hearted people like my friend who are saving the owners some $
on their
> cat food expenses.
>
> But then, I guess if the cat can hunt as she's showed, then she can
also
> feed herself and maybe the owners wishes should be respected and she
should
> be left to be on her own.
>
> In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?
>
> Thanks,
> Lydia

Lydia
September 22nd 03, 09:56 PM
Oh, I'm so glad some of you feel the same. I thought maybe I was being
overly annoyed or whatever. I *know* if it were me, I'd continue to feed it
and let it in when it's raining, but that's me. And good points about
poisoned animals a cat might find or kill. I'll pass on the good advice to
my friend - actually she's my cousin in-law.

[...]

Barb 1
September 22nd 03, 09:59 PM
The tone of the note attached to the collar does not sound friendly to me.
The owner sounds like a real piece of work. Having someone care enough to
feed one's cat should be the worst that can happen to a cat left outside.

My advice? You're the cat's friend, not the owner's friend so do what you
want.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

[...]

Kuisse0002
September 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
>In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?
>
>Thanks,
>Lydia

Send a note back with the cat to its owners to ask for an explanation. Its
better to communicate than to be defensive about it all. After all it is not
your cat. And also keep a tab on the cat's development - if its getting
skinnier, etc. If its getting worse then you'll have to step in.

Kuisse0002
September 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
>In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?
>
>Thanks,
>Lydia

Send a note back with the cat to its owners to ask for an explanation. Its
better to communicate than to be defensive about it all. After all it is not
your cat. And also keep a tab on the cat's development - if its getting
skinnier, etc. If its getting worse then you'll have to step in.

Kuisse0002
September 22nd 03, 11:04 PM
>In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?
>
>Thanks,
>Lydia

Send a note back with the cat to its owners to ask for an explanation. Its
better to communicate than to be defensive about it all. After all it is not
your cat. And also keep a tab on the cat's development - if its getting
skinnier, etc. If its getting worse then you'll have to step in.

Karen M.
September 22nd 03, 11:11 PM
wrote:

>>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>>also allowed to roam freely.
>

> I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
> in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
> if you know what I mean... ;-)

Megan! I hope you don't mean "disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
nudge nudge wink wink...

> Megan (hoping the cat ends up in a caring home - nudge-nudge wink-wink)
>

> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

Karen M.
September 22nd 03, 11:11 PM
wrote:

>>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>>also allowed to roam freely.
>

> I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
> in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
> if you know what I mean... ;-)

Megan! I hope you don't mean "disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
nudge nudge wink wink...

> Megan (hoping the cat ends up in a caring home - nudge-nudge wink-wink)
>

> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

Karen M.
September 22nd 03, 11:11 PM
wrote:

>>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>>also allowed to roam freely.
>

> I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
> in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
> if you know what I mean... ;-)

Megan! I hope you don't mean "disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
nudge nudge wink wink...

> Megan (hoping the cat ends up in a caring home - nudge-nudge wink-wink)
>

> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

m. L. Briggs
September 22nd 03, 11:13 PM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:20:52 -0700, "Lydia" >
wrote:

>I have a friend... no really, it isn't me... but my friend is being visited
>by a cat who she said looked skinny when she first started coming around.
>So she was feeding her and would let her in only to part of their house when
>the weather was bad. She comes twice a day for food and always leaves at
>night and sounds to me like she prefers it outside, but likes my friend as
>she has left her dead presents on the doorstep. She says she otherwise
>looks to be in good shape - just skinny.
>
>All of a sudden the cat showed up with a collar on and a note attached to
>the collar saying this cat doesn't belong to you so stop feeding it. So
>now, of course, the cat is visiting regularly and deploying her best feed me
>tactics which can be so hard to ignore coming from such a cute face.
>
>What should my friend do? I want to say if the original owners cared so
>much about what the cat was eating they wouldn't let it outside where she
>can hunt and kill her own food. Or if there's a medical reason - that she
>should only be eating a special food - again why let her live so much of her
>life outside where she can eat plenty of other critters on her own. And
>besides which, the cat is in my friend's yard - her private property. So
>seems as though she could just as easily send a note back telling them to
>keep their [un-collared until now so that no one would know if it were
>stray, feral, or belonged to someone] cat out of her yard if they don't want
>her to feed it. If they're so concerned about it's well being, keep it
>inside where it will be safe from passing cars, dogs, foxes, diseases, and
>good hearted people like my friend who are saving the owners some $ on their
>cat food expenses.
>
>But then, I guess if the cat can hunt as she's showed, then she can also
>feed herself and maybe the owners wishes should be respected and she should
>be left to be on her own.
>
>In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?
>
>Thanks,
>Lydia

I would say that a collar without ID is useless. If the cat comes to
eat, it is probably getting better food than at the unknown home. If
the cat should disappear, they would never know what happened.
I'm not really sure about how to handle this, but I think I would put
food out anyway. MLB

wrote:

>I have a friend... no really, it isn't me... but my friend is being visited
>by a cat who she said looked skinny when she first started coming around.
>So she was feeding her and would let her in only to part of their house when
>the weather was bad. She comes twice a day for food and always leaves at
>night and sounds to me like she prefers it outside, but likes my friend as
>she has left her dead presents on the doorstep. She says she otherwise
>looks to be in good shape - just skinny.
>
>All of a sudden the cat showed up with a collar on and a note attached to
>the collar saying this cat doesn't belong to you so stop feeding it. So
>now, of course, the cat is visiting regularly and deploying her best feed me
>tactics which can be so hard to ignore coming from such a cute face.
>
>What should my friend do? I want to say if the original owners cared so
>much about what the cat was eating they wouldn't let it outside where she
>can hunt and kill her own food. Or if there's a medical reason - that she
>should only be eating a special food - again why let her live so much of her
>life outside where she can eat plenty of other critters on her own. And
>besides which, the cat is in my friend's yard - her private property. So
>seems as though she could just as easily send a note back telling them to
>keep their [un-collared until now so that no one would know if it were
>stray, feral, or belonged to someone] cat out of her yard if they don't want
>her to feed it. If they're so concerned about it's well being, keep it
>inside where it will be safe from passing cars, dogs, foxes, diseases, and
>good hearted people like my friend who are saving the owners some $ on their
>cat food expenses.
>
>But then, I guess if the cat can hunt as she's showed, then she can also
>feed herself and maybe the owners wishes should be respected and she should
>be left to be on her own.
>
>In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?
>
>Thanks,
>Lydia

I would say that a collar without ID is useless. If the cat comes to
eat, it is probably getting better food than at the unknown home. If
the cat should disappear, they would never know what happened.
I'm not really sure about how to handle this, but I think I would put
food out anyway. MLB

PawsForThought
September 23rd 03, 12:24 AM

wrote:

>>>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>>>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>>>also allowed to roam freely.
>>

>> I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
>> in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
>> if you know what I mean... ;-)
>
>Megan! I hope you don't mean "disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
>nudge nudge wink wink...

I think she's thinking more like a witness protection program :)

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
September 23rd 03, 12:24 AM

wrote:

>>>I wouldn't respect the owner's wishes if
>>>the cat is clearly skinny/underfed and is
>>>also allowed to roam freely.
>>

>> I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
>> in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
>> if you know what I mean... ;-)
>
>Megan! I hope you don't mean "disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
>nudge nudge wink wink...

I think she's thinking more like a witness protection program :)

Lauren
________

Karen M.
September 23rd 03, 01:09 AM
hee hee hee! :)

wrote:

>>>I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
>>>in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
>>>if you know what I mean... ;-)
>>
>>Megan! I hope you don't mean "disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
>>nudge nudge wink wink...
>

> I think she's thinking more like a witness protection program :)
>
> Lauren
> ________
> See my cats: http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
> Raw Diet Info: http://www.holisticat.com/drjletter.html
> http://www.geocities.com/rawfeeders/ForCatsOnly.html
> Declawing Info: http://www.wholecat.com/articles/claws.htm

Karen M.
September 23rd 03, 01:09 AM
hee hee hee! :)

wrote:

>>>I totally agree. The cat is clearly not receiving proper care. If I were
>>>in this situation I think I would make the cat effectively "disappear"
>>>if you know what I mean... ;-)
>>
>>Megan! I hope you don't mean "disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
>>nudge nudge wink wink...
>

> I think she's thinking more like a witness protection program :)
>
> Lauren
> ________
> See my cats: http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
> Raw Diet Info: http://www.holisticat.com/drjletter.html
> http://www.geocities.com/rawfeeders/ForCatsOnly.html
> Declawing Info: http://www.wholecat.com/articles/claws.htm

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:48 AM
Lydia"
writes

>my friend is being visited
>by a cat who she said looked skinny

The cat said your friend looked skinny? C'mon now.

>All of a sudden the cat showed up >with a collar on and a note >attached to
>the collar saying this cat doesn't >belong to you so stop feeding it.

Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID protection for
the cat doesn't deserve the cat. The only exception for this is if the cat is
an indoor only cat and accidently got out. For someone to put a collar on the
cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good neighbor
STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. This is reinforced even more because the
cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.

>the cat is visiting regularly and >deploying her best feed me
>tactics which can be so hard to >ignore coming from such a cute >face. What
should my friend do?

If you can determine who owns the cat, then you can ask them if they put the
note on the collar because of a special needs diet. The response they give will
tell you how they feel about their pet...whether or not they are caring people
or arseholes.

>I guess if the cat can hunt as she's >showed, then she can also
>feed herself and maybe the >owners wishes should be >respected.

Cats who live as domestic pets should NOT be running around the heavily
populated area hunting for their own food. The medical/nutritional needs and
safe environment are the preference...the "owners" wishes are secondary.

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:48 AM
Lydia"
writes

> [...]

cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.

>the cat is visiting regularly and >deploying her best feed me
>tactics which can be so hard to >ignore coming from such a cute >face. What
should my friend do?

If you can determine who owns the cat, then you can ask them if they put the
note on the collar because of a special needs diet. The response they give will
tell you how they feel about their pet...whether or not they are caring people
or arseholes.

>I guess if the cat can hunt as she's >showed, then she can also
>feed herself and maybe the >owners wishes should be >respected.

Cats who live as domestic pets should NOT be running around the heavily
populated area hunting for their own food. The medical/nutritional needs and
safe environment are the preference...the "owners" wishes are secondary.

September 23rd 03, 03:02 AM
Karen wrote:
>Megan! I hope you don't mean
>"disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
>nudge nudge wink wink...

LOL! No, I mean more in an FBI/witness relocation sort of way. :-)

Megan

Karen wrote:
>Megan! I hope you don't mean
>"disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
>nudge nudge wink wink...

LOL! No, I mean more in an FBI/witness relocation sort of way. :-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

MacCandace
September 23rd 03, 04:16 AM
<< But then, I guess if the cat can hunt as she's showed, then she can also
feed herself and maybe the owners wishes should be respected and she should
be left to be on her own.

In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?

Thanks,
Lydia >>

I'd feed the poor little thing, too. I don't think a cat should have to be
hungry. I would be tempted to find out who the owners are, if I were her, to
see how well they are taking care of her (not very, I guess). I wonder how
they even know she's eating elsewhere if she's still skinny. And why do they
want her to be skinny? It's just mean. Your friend has every right to leave
cat food out on her own property. For all they know, it's food for her own
cats.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

MacCandace
September 23rd 03, 04:16 AM
[...]

Napoleon
September 23rd 03, 06:00 AM
"Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> I have a friend... no really, it isn't me... but my friend is being visited
> by a cat who she said looked skinny when she first started coming around.
> So she was feeding her and would let her in only to part of their house when
> the weather was bad. She comes twice a day for food and always leaves at
> night and sounds to me like she prefers it outside, but likes my friend as
> she has left her dead presents on the doorstep. She says she otherwise
> looks to be in good shape - just skinny.
>
> All of a sudden the cat showed up with a collar on and a note attached to
> the collar saying this cat doesn't belong to you so stop feeding it.

I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
know that someone was feeding it in the first place?

Maybe they noticed it was approaching a normal weight and they got
****ed off for some perverse reason?

FWIW-I think if someone sees an underweight cat and feeds it, that's a
GOOD thing. **** it's so-called "owners" who apparently have no
compulsion about letting the cat wander into other people's property
and then whinge when someone takes pity on the animal. (OTOH, if it
looks well cared for, I think you shouldn't feed it because you
shouldn't deliberately encourage someone else's cat to become attached
to you, although that's hard sometimes if they are the affectionate
type.)

The only reason I could see for not feeding it is if it were sick and
needed a special diet. Setting aside whether *any* cat should be
allowed to roam outside, a cat that's underweight because it's sick
certainly should'nt be left outside by its "owners."

Napoleon
September 23rd 03, 06:00 AM

"Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> I have a friend... no really, it isn't me... but my friend is being visited
> by a cat who she said looked skinny when she first started coming around.
> So she was feeding her and would let her in only to part of their house when
> the weather was bad. She comes twice a day for food and always leaves at
> night and sounds to me like she prefers it outside, but likes my friend as
> she has left her dead presents on the doorstep. She says she otherwise
> looks to be in good shape - just skinny.
>
> All of a sudden the cat showed up with a collar on and a note attached to
> the collar saying this cat doesn't belong to you so stop feeding it.

I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
know that someone was feeding it in the first place?

Maybe they noticed it was approaching a normal weight and they got
****ed off for some perverse reason?

FWIW-I think if someone sees an underweight cat and feeds it, that's a
GOOD thing. **** it's so-called "owners" who apparently have no
compulsion about letting the cat wander into other people's property
and then whinge when someone takes pity on the animal. (OTOH, if it
looks well cared for, I think you shouldn't feed it because you
shouldn't deliberately encourage someone else's cat to become attached
to you, although that's hard sometimes if they are the affectionate
type.)

The only reason I could see for not feeding it is if it were sick and
needed a special diet. Setting aside whether *any* cat should be
allowed to roam outside, a cat that's underweight because it's sick
certainly should'nt be left outside by its "owners."

Alison
September 23rd 03, 02:38 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message

> Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
protection for
> the cat doesn't deserve the cat.

Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
microchipped .

>>. For someone to put a collar on the
> cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good
neighbor
> STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. >>

It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
someone was feeding her.

>>This is reinforced even more because the
> cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.

Yes, *appears * being the operative word. Many indoor cats are over
weight so a normal cat looks thin to them .
Alison

Alison
September 23rd 03, 02:38 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message

> Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
protection for
> the cat doesn't deserve the cat.

Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
microchipped .

>>. For someone to put a collar on the
> cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good
neighbor
> STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. >>

It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
someone was feeding her.

>>This is reinforced even more because the
> cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.

Yes, *appears * being the operative word. Many indoor cats are over
weight so a normal cat looks thin to them .
Alison

Alison
September 23rd 03, 02:38 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message

> Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
protection for
> the cat doesn't deserve the cat.

Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
microchipped .

>>. For someone to put a collar on the
> cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good
neighbor
> STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. >>

It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
someone was feeding her.

>>This is reinforced even more because the
> cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.

Yes, *appears * being the operative word. Many indoor cats are over
weight so a normal cat looks thin to them .
Alison

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:43 PM
>I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
>cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
>know that someone was feeding it in the first place?

That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed the thin
kitty.
Sherry

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:43 PM
>I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
>cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
>know that someone was feeding it in the first place?

That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed the thin
kitty.
Sherry

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:43 PM
>I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
>cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
>know that someone was feeding it in the first place?

That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed the thin
kitty.
Sherry

MaryL
September 23rd 03, 03:06 PM
"Alison" > wrote in message

> "Luvskats00" > wrote in message
> >

> > Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
> protection for
> > the cat doesn't deserve the cat.
>
> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
> don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
> believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
> microchipped .
>
> Alison

Once again, part of the problem in differences in outlook may stem from some
people posting from the US (where many of us feel it is dangerous to let a
cat roam) and others posting from the UK (where it is very common to leave
cats outside). Of course, not everyone "fits" within these categories in
either location.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

MaryL
September 23rd 03, 03:06 PM

"Alison" > wrote in message

> "Luvskats00" > wrote in message
> >

> > Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
> protection for
> > the cat doesn't deserve the cat.
>
> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
> don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
> believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
> microchipped .
>
> Alison

Once again, part of the problem in differences in outlook may stem from some
people posting from the US (where many of us feel it is dangerous to let a
cat roam) and others posting from the UK (where it is very common to leave
cats outside). Of course, not everyone "fits" within these categories in
either location.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

MaryL
September 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
> >cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
> >know that someone was feeding it in the first place?
> >

> That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed the
thin
> kitty.
> Sherry

I wondered about that, too. And as someone else said, as long as the cat is
on the OP's property, how would anyone know the cat wasn't simply getting
into another cat's food? Unless there have been some "conversations" among
neighbors??

MaryL

MaryL
September 23rd 03, 03:08 PM

"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
> >cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
> >know that someone was feeding it in the first place?
> >

> That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed the
thin
> kitty.
> Sherry

I wondered about that, too. And as someone else said, as long as the cat is
on the OP's property, how would anyone know the cat wasn't simply getting
into another cat's food? Unless there have been some "conversations" among
neighbors??

MaryL

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
> Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
> someone was feeding her.

If you don't want me to feed your cat, keep it off my property.

Easy. Simple. Keeps everyone happy.

The only cats who belong on my property are mine.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
> Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
> someone was feeding her.

If you don't want me to feed your cat, keep it off my property.

Easy. Simple. Keeps everyone happy.

The only cats who belong on my property are mine.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 03:08 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
> Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
> someone was feeding her.

If you don't want me to feed your cat, keep it off my property.

Easy. Simple. Keeps everyone happy.

The only cats who belong on my property are mine.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

m. L. Briggs
September 23rd 03, 05:49 PM
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:38:37 +0100, "Alison"
> wrote:

>"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
>>

>> Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
>protection for
>> the cat doesn't deserve the cat.
>
> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
>don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
>believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
>microchipped .
>
> >>. For someone to put a collar on the
>> cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good
>neighbor
>> STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. >>
>
>It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
>Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
>someone was feeding her.
>

> >>This is reinforced even more because the
>> cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.
>
> Yes, *appears * being the operative word. Many indoor cats are over
>weight so a normal cat looks thin to them .
> Alison

There are no outward signs to indicate an animal is microchipped.
How would anyone know it wasn't lost or strayed.? A cat needs a
collar and obvious ID IMO.

m. L. Briggs
September 23rd 03, 05:49 PM
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:38:37 +0100, "Alison"
> wrote:

>"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
>>

>> Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
>protection for
>> the cat doesn't deserve the cat.
>
> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
>don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
>believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
>microchipped .
>
> >>. For someone to put a collar on the
>> cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good
>neighbor
>> STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. >>
>
>It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
>Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
>someone was feeding her.
>

> >>This is reinforced even more because the
>> cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.
>
> Yes, *appears * being the operative word. Many indoor cats are over
>weight so a normal cat looks thin to them .
> Alison

There are no outward signs to indicate an animal is microchipped.
How would anyone know it wasn't lost or strayed.? A cat needs a
collar and obvious ID IMO.

m. L. Briggs
September 23rd 03, 05:49 PM
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:38:37 +0100, "Alison"
> wrote:

>"Luvskats00" > wrote in message
>>

>> Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
>protection for
>> the cat doesn't deserve the cat.
>
> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
>don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
>believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
>microchipped .
>
> >>. For someone to put a collar on the
>> cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good
>neighbor
>> STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. >>
>
>It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
>Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
>someone was feeding her.
>

> >>This is reinforced even more because the
>> cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.
>
> Yes, *appears * being the operative word. Many indoor cats are over
>weight so a normal cat looks thin to them .
> Alison

There are no outward signs to indicate an animal is microchipped.
How would anyone know it wasn't lost or strayed.? A cat needs a
collar and obvious ID IMO.

Lydia
September 23rd 03, 05:50 PM
I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
the news made it back to the owners OR maybe they just noticed the cat
getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
trim, but not unhealthy?

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > >I have a question. How would the people who pinned the note on the
> > >cat, implying they had no first hand knowledge of who was feeding it,
> > >know that someone was feeding it in the first place?
> > >

> > That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed
the
> thin
> > kitty.
> > Sherry
>
> I wondered about that, too. And as someone else said, as long as the cat
is
> on the OP's property, how would anyone know the cat wasn't simply getting
> into another cat's food? Unless there have been some "conversations"
among
> neighbors??
>
> MaryL

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 06:06 PM
I said
> Any jerk who allows their cat to >roam outside and provides no ID
>protection for the cat doesn't >deserve the cat.

"Alison" responds
>> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to >>*roam * as you like to call it and I
>>>don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't >>have a collar on Kim because I
>>believe they are dangerous , she >>is also allergic . She is
>>microchipped .

It appears you are from the UK (at least I get that idea from your ID). Many
people outside the USA do believe it's OK to let a cat roam outside.With that
said, I will ask you how you taught your cat A) to know when to walk across the
street and when to wait B) to know which cars are stopping for a light and
which cars are continuing on C) NOT to drink any leaking coolant/anti-freeze.
After all...it's very tasty and thousands (or more) cats have consumed this
poison, had seizures, and died painfully. D) to determine which individual or
group of people who are coming up the street might do her harm E) to evade
every single dog and/or wild animal who might try to rip her to pieces or bite
her?

I said
> For someone to put a collar on the
>cat for the sheer purpose of >pinning a note demanding that the >good neighbor
STOP feeding the >cat is unacceptable...This is >reinforced even more because
the
>cat did not appear to be well fed in >the first place.

Allison snaps
>>It's totally acceptable if you don't >>know who is feeding the cat .
>>Kim is on a special diet and I >>would do the same if I suspected
>>someone was feeding her...Many >>indoor cats are overweight so a >>normal cat
looks thin to them .

Do you read the stuff you post before hitting the "send" button? Your last
comment is absolutely idiotic. "Indoor cats are overweight so a normal cat
looks "thin". Dearie..there is a very big difference between a thin cat and one
who looks to be malnourished. The latter will exhibit systems that include, but
are not limited to, showing the ribs underneath the skin. I realize that very
few people will have a PhD on the subject of the thread or a 4 year course of
study/research on the topic of the posts...but, at the very least, one must
have more than an off-the-cuff response. I utlize my personal experience (in
cat rescue, having pets, college courses/seminars and general research) before
I post. For example, I'm anti-declaw..but I don't just post "I'm against
declawing so anyone who declaws is an idiot." I use academic information AND my
basic feeling/opinion. Obviously, I don't expect everyone/anyone to duplicate
my methodology, but I do expect more than just a rant...You are ranting. That,
plus the last comment (explained above) is nothing more than an uneducated
response. For the sake of argument (and to point to your foolish
reasoning)..please cite 1-2-3 or more experts who gave you the idea that many
indoor cats are overweight so a normal cat looks thin to them (other people).

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 06:06 PM
I said
> [...]

study/research on the topic of the posts...but, at the very least, one must
have more than an off-the-cuff response. I utlize my personal experience (in
cat rescue, having pets, college courses/seminars and general research) before
I post. For example, I'm anti-declaw..but I don't just post "I'm against
declawing so anyone who declaws is an idiot." I use academic information AND my
basic feeling/opinion. Obviously, I don't expect everyone/anyone to duplicate
my methodology, but I do expect more than just a rant...You are ranting. That,
plus the last comment (explained above) is nothing more than an uneducated
response. For the sake of argument (and to point to your foolish
reasoning)..please cite 1-2-3 or more experts who gave you the idea that many
indoor cats are overweight so a normal cat looks thin to them (other people).

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 06:09 PM
"m. L. Briggs" > wrote in message

> There are no outward signs to indicate an animal is microchipped.
> How would anyone know it wasn't lost or strayed.? A cat needs a
> collar and obvious ID IMO.

In my city tattooing is mandated by law, as are spaying/neutering and
leashes when outdoors (roaming cats and dogs are prohibited, except for dogs
in some leash-free parks). Of course I would say that maybe 30% or fewer of
the cats in my city are tattooed, spayed/neutered, *and* leashed when
outdoors or indoors-only. My cat is all three, plus she is microchipped.
She does need some kind of tag, though, and I'm still looking for a good one
that won't bother her too much. Better to be overly cautious than sorry!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 06:09 PM

"m. L. Briggs" > wrote in message

> There are no outward signs to indicate an animal is microchipped.
> How would anyone know it wasn't lost or strayed.? A cat needs a
> collar and obvious ID IMO.

In my city tattooing is mandated by law, as are spaying/neutering and
leashes when outdoors (roaming cats and dogs are prohibited, except for dogs
in some leash-free parks). Of course I would say that maybe 30% or fewer of
the cats in my city are tattooed, spayed/neutered, *and* leashed when
outdoors or indoors-only. My cat is all three, plus she is microchipped.
She does need some kind of tag, though, and I'm still looking for a good one
that won't bother her too much. Better to be overly cautious than sorry!

rona

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 06:12 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> My cat is all three, plus she is microchipped.
> She does need some kind of tag, though, and I'm still looking for a good one
> that won't bother her too much. Better to be overly cautious than sorry!

They make collars with the ID embedded in it. I've seen them on ebay. No
metal tags - the collar has the id sewn in.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 06:12 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> My cat is all three, plus she is microchipped.
> She does need some kind of tag, though, and I'm still looking for a good one
> that won't bother her too much. Better to be overly cautious than sorry!

They make collars with the ID embedded in it. I've seen them on ebay. No
metal tags - the collar has the id sewn in.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 06:12 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> My cat is all three, plus she is microchipped.
> She does need some kind of tag, though, and I'm still looking for a good one
> that won't bother her too much. Better to be overly cautious than sorry!

They make collars with the ID embedded in it. I've seen them on ebay. No
metal tags - the collar has the id sewn in.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Karen M.
September 23rd 03, 06:22 PM
wrote in message >...
> Karen wrote:
> >Megan! I hope you don't mean
> >"disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
> >nudge nudge wink wink...
>
> LOL! No, I mean more in an FBI/witness relocation sort of way. :-)
>
> Megan

You do realize the poor cat would have to change her name and wear a
wig for the rest of her life.... ;)

> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

Karen M.
September 23rd 03, 06:22 PM
wrote in message >...
> Karen wrote:
> >Megan! I hope you don't mean
> >"disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
> >nudge nudge wink wink...
>
> LOL! No, I mean more in an FBI/witness relocation sort of way. :-)
>
> Megan

You do realize the poor cat would have to change her name and wear a
wig for the rest of her life.... ;)

> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

Karen M.
September 23rd 03, 06:22 PM
wrote in message >...
> Karen wrote:
> >Megan! I hope you don't mean
> >"disappear" in a mafia sort of way.. ;) -
> >nudge nudge wink wink...
>
> LOL! No, I mean more in an FBI/witness relocation sort of way. :-)
>
> Megan

You do realize the poor cat would have to change her name and wear a
wig for the rest of her life.... ;)

> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
> http://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
> http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 06:43 PM
"kaeli" > wrote in message

> They make collars with the ID embedded in it. I've seen them on ebay. No
> metal tags - the collar has the id sewn in.

Thanks! I took a look on e-bay but they must not have any right now. I'll
keep checking back and also see what else I can find on-line.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 06:43 PM

"kaeli" > wrote in message

> They make collars with the ID embedded in it. I've seen them on ebay. No
> metal tags - the collar has the id sewn in.

Thanks! I took a look on e-bay but they must not have any right now. I'll
keep checking back and also see what else I can find on-line.

rona

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 08:13 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> Thanks! I took a look on e-bay but they must not have any right now. I'll
> keep checking back and also see what else I can find on-line.
>
> rona

You can get one embroidered with your info at one of these places...

http://www.mafpettags.com/

http://www.tagsforpets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
source=googlecatcollars

http://www.collarthatname.com/

http://www.scarfzone.homestead.com/collars.html

I've never used any of them, so I'm not recommending any site
specifically or anything.
Google had more matches. Search for
embroidered cat collar

HTH
~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 08:13 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> Thanks! I took a look on e-bay but they must not have any right now. I'll
> keep checking back and also see what else I can find on-line.
>
> rona

You can get one embroidered with your info at one of these places...

http://www.mafpettags.com/

http://www.tagsforpets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
source=googlecatcollars

http://www.collarthatname.com/

http://www.scarfzone.homestead.com/collars.html

I've never used any of them, so I'm not recommending any site
specifically or anything.
Google had more matches. Search for
embroidered cat collar

HTH
~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 08:13 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...

> Thanks! I took a look on e-bay but they must not have any right now. I'll
> keep checking back and also see what else I can find on-line.
>
> rona

You can get one embroidered with your info at one of these places...

http://www.mafpettags.com/

http://www.tagsforpets.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
source=googlecatcollars

http://www.collarthatname.com/

http://www.scarfzone.homestead.com/collars.html

I've never used any of them, so I'm not recommending any site
specifically or anything.
Google had more matches. Search for
embroidered cat collar

HTH
~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Phil P.
September 23rd 03, 08:53 PM
"Lydia" > wrote in message
> I have a friend... no really, it isn't me... but my friend is being
visited
> by a cat who she said looked skinny when she first started coming around.
> So she was feeding her and would let her in only to part of their house
when
> the weather was bad. She comes twice a day for food and always leaves at
> night and sounds to me like she prefers it outside, but likes my friend as
> she has left her dead presents on the doorstep. She says she otherwise
> looks to be in good shape - just skinny.
>
> All of a sudden the cat showed up with a collar on and a note attached to
> the collar saying this cat doesn't belong to you so stop feeding it. So
> now, of course, the cat is visiting regularly and deploying her best feed
me
> tactics which can be so hard to ignore coming from such a cute face.
>
> What should my friend do? I want to say if the original owners cared so
> much about what the cat was eating they wouldn't let it outside where she
> can hunt and kill her own food. Or if there's a medical reason - that she
> should only be eating a special food - again why let her live so much of
her
> life outside where she can eat plenty of other critters on her own. And
> besides which, the cat is in my friend's yard - her private property. So
> seems as though she could just as easily send a note back telling them to
> keep their [un-collared until now so that no one would know if it were
> stray, feral, or belonged to someone] cat out of her yard if they don't
want
> her to feed it. If they're so concerned about it's well being, keep it
> inside where it will be safe from passing cars, dogs, foxes, diseases, and
> good hearted people like my friend who are saving the owners some $ on
their
> cat food expenses.
>
> But then, I guess if the cat can hunt as she's showed, then she can also
> feed herself and maybe the owners wishes should be respected and she
should
> be left to be on her own.
>
> In your opinions, how should I advise my friend?

Ignore the note and continue to feed the cat. In fact, if the collar wasn't
a break-away collar, I'd take it off the cat for the cat's safety, and buy
her a breakaway collar. Mind-boggling that a person would put a collar on a
cat to send a message but not for ID in case the cat is picked up by Animal
Control.

If the cat is skinny due to malnourishment, I'd adopt the cat and let the
so-called owners jump through hoops trying to prove ownership... in court.
Since your friend has been feeding the cat regularly, she could be
considered the "owner". To make sure the cat is ok, and also to strengthen
her case for ownership, tell your friend to take the cat to a vet for an
exam. If the cat is eating at home and at your friend's home, and the cat is
still skinny, she may be hyperthyroid or diabetic and in need of immediate
veterinary care.

Another thing that bothers me very much: Your friend let the cat in her
home when the weather was bad. Why didn't the cat go back to her own home
in bad weather? Could be locked out during the day. Why was the cat out in
bad weather in the first place?

....and another thing: I'd be concerned about the cat eating prey that may
have consumed rodent poison or prey that may be infected with toxoplasmosis.

I'd have no compunction about adopting the cat.

Phil.

..

Phil P.
September 23rd 03, 08:53 PM

"Lydia" > wrote in message
> [...]

Since your friend has been feeding the cat regularly, she could be
considered the "owner". To make sure the cat is ok, and also to strengthen
her case for ownership, tell your friend to take the cat to a vet for an
exam. If the cat is eating at home and at your friend's home, and the cat is
still skinny, she may be hyperthyroid or diabetic and in need of immediate
veterinary care.

Another thing that bothers me very much: Your friend let the cat in her
home when the weather was bad. Why didn't the cat go back to her own home
in bad weather? Could be locked out during the day. Why was the cat out in
bad weather in the first place?

....and another thing: I'd be concerned about the cat eating prey that may
have consumed rodent poison or prey that may be infected with toxoplasmosis.

I'd have no compunction about adopting the cat.

Ellie Pea
September 23rd 03, 09:48 PM
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:38:37 +0100, Alison wrote:

> "Luvskats00" > wrote in message
>>

>> Any jerk who allows their cat to roam outside and provides no ID
> protection for
>> the cat doesn't deserve the cat.
>
> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
> don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
> believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
> microchipped .
>
> >>. For someone to put a collar on the
>> cat for the sheer purpose of pinning a note demanding that the good
> neighbor
>> STOP feeding the cat is unacceptable. >>
>
> It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
> Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
> someone was feeding her.
>

> >>This is reinforced even more because the
>> cat did not appear to be well fed in the first place.
>
> Yes, *appears * being the operative word. Many indoor cats are over
> weight so a normal cat looks thin to them .
> Alison

I totally agree with you Alison but, I'm also in the UK, perhaps that's the
difference!
It is fundamentally wrong to assume that a 'skinny' cat is not being fed
and needs to be 'adopted'. My cat is indoor cat, she does have access to
the outdoors but chooses to stay in 99% of the time. She's overweight (but
succesfully dieting) Compared to her, most of the neighbourhood cats I see
look skinny!!! Cat's can also be on special diets but be allowed out! My
friend had a similar situation where she had to ask her neighbours NOT to
feed her opportunistic cat because she has a delicate stomach and was being
fed tasy tuna treats by well meaning neighbours (and loving it!) then
coming home and vomiting. However, it soon stopped when she vomited on the
neighbours sofa and I don't believe she was enticed in their house again!

Lindsey

Ellie Pea
September 23rd 03, 09:48 PM
> [...]

I totally agree with you Alison but, I'm also in the UK, perhaps that's the
difference!
It is fundamentally wrong to assume that a 'skinny' cat is not being fed
and needs to be 'adopted'. My cat is indoor cat, she does have access to
the outdoors but chooses to stay in 99% of the time. She's overweight (but
succesfully dieting) Compared to her, most of the neighbourhood cats I see
look skinny!!! Cat's can also be on special diets but be allowed out! My
friend had a similar situation where she had to ask her neighbours NOT to
feed her opportunistic cat because she has a delicate stomach and was being
fed tasy tuna treats by well meaning neighbours (and loving it!) then
coming home and vomiting. However, it soon stopped when she vomited on the
neighbours sofa and I don't believe she was enticed in their house again!

September 23rd 03, 11:08 PM
"kaeli" > wrote in message

> You can get one embroidered with your info at one of these places...
>
> http://www.mafpettags.com/

<snip other sources to save bandwidth>

Thanks! I had looked on drsfostersmith.com and petsmart.com, but had not
yet done a google search! Of course, knowing more specific search terms
helps a lot! On e-bay I had looked for cat collar ID. If I had done a
google search on that, I'm sure I would have had to wade through a lot sites
I didn't want!

Thanks again!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 11:08 PM

"kaeli" > wrote in message

> You can get one embroidered with your info at one of these places...
>
> http://www.mafpettags.com/

<snip other sources to save bandwidth>

Thanks! I had looked on drsfostersmith.com and petsmart.com, but had not
yet done a google search! Of course, knowing more specific search terms
helps a lot! On e-bay I had looked for cat collar ID. If I had done a
google search on that, I'm sure I would have had to wade through a lot sites
I didn't want!

Thanks again!

rona

Napoleon
September 24th 03, 03:42 AM
"Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
> the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
> figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
> the news made it back to the owners

It's hard to imagine the news getting back to the owners without some
identification of who was feeding the cat. If so, the owners should
have the balls to go ask your friend nicely rather than hide behind
the cat.

OR maybe they just noticed the cat
> getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
> at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
> know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
> looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
> trim, but not unhealthy?

It's obviously impossible to know without getting a better description
or seeing the cat first hand. I seem to recall that as far as
weighing enough, one warning sign is when you can see the cat's
ribcage and/or spine (obviously that test won't work for a longer
haired cat). I've seen lots of cats who had slender builds but passed
that test. Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
the cat is the act of an asshole.

> > > That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed
> the
> thin
> > > kitty.
> > > Sherry
> >
> > I wondered about that, too. And as someone else said, as long as the cat
> is
> > on the OP's property, how would anyone know the cat wasn't simply getting
> > into another cat's food? Unless there have been some "conversations"
> among
> > neighbors??
> >
> > MaryL

Napoleon
September 24th 03, 03:42 AM
"Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
> the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
> figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
> the news made it back to the owners

It's hard to imagine the news getting back to the owners without some
identification of who was feeding the cat. If so, the owners should
have the balls to go ask your friend nicely rather than hide behind
the cat.

OR maybe they just noticed the cat
> getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
> at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
> know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
> looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
> trim, but not unhealthy?

It's obviously impossible to know without getting a better description
or seeing the cat first hand. I seem to recall that as far as
weighing enough, one warning sign is when you can see the cat's
ribcage and/or spine (obviously that test won't work for a longer
haired cat). I've seen lots of cats who had slender builds but passed
that test. Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
the cat is the act of an asshole.

> > > That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed
> the
> thin
> > > kitty.
> > > Sherry
> >
> > I wondered about that, too. And as someone else said, as long as the cat
> is
> > on the OP's property, how would anyone know the cat wasn't simply getting
> > into another cat's food? Unless there have been some "conversations"
> among
> > neighbors??
> >
> > MaryL

Napoleon
September 24th 03, 03:42 AM
"Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
> the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
> figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
> the news made it back to the owners

It's hard to imagine the news getting back to the owners without some
identification of who was feeding the cat. If so, the owners should
have the balls to go ask your friend nicely rather than hide behind
the cat.

OR maybe they just noticed the cat
> getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
> at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
> know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
> looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
> trim, but not unhealthy?

It's obviously impossible to know without getting a better description
or seeing the cat first hand. I seem to recall that as far as
weighing enough, one warning sign is when you can see the cat's
ribcage and/or spine (obviously that test won't work for a longer
haired cat). I've seen lots of cats who had slender builds but passed
that test. Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
the cat is the act of an asshole.

> > > That's what I wondered, too. I also vote theOP should continue to feed
> the
> thin
> > > kitty.
> > > Sherry
> >
> > I wondered about that, too. And as someone else said, as long as the cat
> is
> > on the OP's property, how would anyone know the cat wasn't simply getting
> > into another cat's food? Unless there have been some "conversations"
> among
> > neighbors??
> >
> > MaryL

J1Boss
September 24th 03, 01:06 PM
>From: "Alison"

> Excuse me?, I allow my cat to *roam * as you like to call it and I
>don't believe I'm a jerk . I don't have a collar on Kim because I
>believe they are dangerous , she is also allergic . She is
>microchipped .

Alison - what is she allergic TO? I can't imagine that she's allergic to all
cat collar materials and there are many that are VERY safe.

>It's totally acceptable if you don't know who is feeding the cat .
>Kim is on a special diet and I would do the same if I suspected
>someone was feeding her.

Sorry Alison - if she's on a special diet, then she shouldn't be allowed to
raom and have access to other foods, even those foods that are supplied by
"nature".

My sister has a cat. Sort of. She didn't intend to get another cat after her
last one died. But Martha had other ideas. She decided that the dog door was
an invitation and took up residence in the guest room. Eventually, she decided
the 2 goldens weren't very threatening and she moved into the rest of the
house. What was my sister to do? Not feed her? She must have belonged to
SOMEONE, but no collar, no ID, at this point obvious that she is spayed.

My sister assumed she lived elsewhere, but allowed her to be a houseguest.
These days (it's been about 2 years), Martha is in her house most of the time
(and demanding attention - she's a very funny cat), and when outdoors, rarely
leaves the yard. My sister put a "necklace" on her - a soft collar. Nobody
has commented, written notes, etc, so nobody seems to claim her. She's a bit
tubby, so she's probably being fed elsewhere too. Is she a shared cat? She's
not telling - just enjoying the doted on life and choosing that herself.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

J1Boss
September 24th 03, 01:06 PM
> [...]

house. What was my sister to do? Not feed her? She must have belonged to
SOMEONE, but no collar, no ID, at this point obvious that she is spayed.

My sister assumed she lived elsewhere, but allowed her to be a houseguest.
These days (it's been about 2 years), Martha is in her house most of the time
(and demanding attention - she's a very funny cat), and when outdoors, rarely
leaves the yard. My sister put a "necklace" on her - a soft collar. Nobody
has commented, written notes, etc, so nobody seems to claim her. She's a bit
tubby, so she's probably being fed elsewhere too. Is she a shared cat? She's
not telling - just enjoying the doted on life and choosing that herself.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine

September 28th 03, 03:03 PM
>Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
>before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
>encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
>the cat is the act of an asshole.

Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and control than
the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to begin
with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in my
experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there are the
opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but those that
I've had were on the heavy side.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 03:03 PM
>Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
>before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
>encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
>the cat is the act of an asshole.

Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and control than
the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to begin
with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in my
experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there are the
opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but those that
I've had were on the heavy side.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 03:03 PM
>Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
>before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
>encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
>the cat is the act of an asshole.

Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and control than
the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to begin
with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in my
experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there are the
opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but those that
I've had were on the heavy side.

Sherry

~*SooZy*~
September 28th 03, 07:15 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
> >before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
> >encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
> >the cat is the act of an asshole.
> >

> Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and control
than
> the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to
begin
> with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in my
> experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there are
the
> opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but those
that
> I've had were on the heavy side.
>
> Sherry

A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe was
under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un healthy
and the owner is abusing the cat.

~*SooZy*~
September 28th 03, 07:15 PM

"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
> >before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
> >encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
> >the cat is the act of an asshole.
> >

> Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and control
than
> the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to
begin
> with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in my
> experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there are
the
> opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but those
that
> I've had were on the heavy side.
>
> Sherry

A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe was
under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un healthy
and the owner is abusing the cat.

Sherry
September 28th 03, 10:02 PM
>A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe was
>under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un healthy
>and the owner is abusing the cat.

I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner. From my
experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing when the next meal
is, they wolf down everything whether they're hungry or not. "Opportunistic
eating" if you will. It's difficult to keep them from overeating when you're
feeding multiple cats, and picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I
guess so. But many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
how diligent I try to be with their feeding.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 10:02 PM
>A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe was
>under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un healthy
>and the owner is abusing the cat.

I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner. From my
experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing when the next meal
is, they wolf down everything whether they're hungry or not. "Opportunistic
eating" if you will. It's difficult to keep them from overeating when you're
feeding multiple cats, and picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I
guess so. But many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
how diligent I try to be with their feeding.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 10:02 PM
>A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe was
>under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un healthy
>and the owner is abusing the cat.

I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner. From my
experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing when the next meal
is, they wolf down everything whether they're hungry or not. "Opportunistic
eating" if you will. It's difficult to keep them from overeating when you're
feeding multiple cats, and picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I
guess so. But many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
how diligent I try to be with their feeding.

Sherry

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 12:48 AM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
>> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
>> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>>
> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
> when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
> hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
> to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
> picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
> many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
> how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>
> Sherry

I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 12:48 AM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
>> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
>> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>>
> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
> when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
> hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
> to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
> picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
> many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
> how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>
> Sherry

I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 12:48 AM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
>> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
>> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>>
> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
> when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
> hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
> to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
> picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
> many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
> how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>
> Sherry

I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

Sherry
September 29th 03, 04:35 AM
>In ,
>Sherry > composed with style:
>>> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
>>> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
>>> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>>>
>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
>> when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
>> hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
>> to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
>> picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
>> many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
>> how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>>
>> Sherry
>
>I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?

Sherry

Sherry
September 29th 03, 04:35 AM
>In ,
>Sherry > composed with style:
>>> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
>>> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
>>> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>>>
>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
>> when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
>> hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
>> to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
>> picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
>> many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
>> how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>>
>> Sherry
>
>I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?

Sherry

Sherry
September 29th 03, 04:35 AM
>In ,
>Sherry > composed with style:
>>> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
>>> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
>>> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>>>
>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
>> when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
>> hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
>> to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
>> picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
>> many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
>> how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>>
>> Sherry
>
>I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?

Sherry

-L.
September 29th 03, 08:42 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message >...
> In ,
> Sherry > composed with style:
> >> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> >> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
> >> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.

> > I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
> > From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
> > when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
> > hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
> > to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
> > picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
> > many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
> > how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

I don't think ANYONE who reads this ng for any period of time would
even *remotely* think that you are. Hell, you treat your cats better
than I treat mine, and I wouldn't say that about very many people. ;)

-L.

-L.
September 29th 03, 08:42 AM

"Cheryl" > wrote in message >...
> In ,
> Sherry > composed with style:
> >> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> >> Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
> >> cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.

> > I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
> > From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
> > when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
> > hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
> > to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
> > picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
> > many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
> > how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

I don't think ANYONE who reads this ng for any period of time would
even *remotely* think that you are. Hell, you treat your cats better
than I treat mine, and I wouldn't say that about very many people. ;)

-L.

-L.
September 29th 03, 08:51 AM
"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message >...
> "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > >Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
> > >before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
> > >encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
> > >the cat is the act of an asshole.
> > >

> > Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and control
> than
> > the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to
> begin
> > with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in my
> > experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there are
> the
> > opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but those
> that
> > I've had were on the heavy side.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe was
> under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un healthy
> and the owner is abusing the cat.

If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not have
the fat reserves to bounce back.

A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it through a
major stress.

Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

I have a cat that ideally should weigh 19-20lbs - that's when he is in
great shape and carries enough weight to get him through. A ****ty
vet told me he needed to be at 12lbs. I told her he was at 12lbs at
about 6 months old - this cat is about 25 inches long, without tail.
He cat recently got sick and dropped to under 17 lbs - he was sickly
looking and scrawny. I would hate to see him at 12lbs.

Needless to say, we won't see that vet again.

-L.

-L.
September 29th 03, 08:51 AM

"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message >...
> "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > >Maybe it's just a slender cat. If that were the case, as
> > >before I don't think it's a good idea to feed it just because you
> > >encourage the "second home" syndrome. I still think putting a note on
> > >the cat is the act of an asshole.
> > >

> > Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and control
> than
> > the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to
> begin
> > with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in my
> > experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there are
> the
> > opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but those
> that
> > I've had were on the heavy side.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe was
> under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un healthy
> and the owner is abusing the cat.

If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not have
the fat reserves to bounce back.

A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it through a
major stress.

Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

I have a cat that ideally should weigh 19-20lbs - that's when he is in
great shape and carries enough weight to get him through. A ****ty
vet told me he needed to be at 12lbs. I told her he was at 12lbs at
about 6 months old - this cat is about 25 inches long, without tail.
He cat recently got sick and dropped to under 17 lbs - he was sickly
looking and scrawny. I would hate to see him at 12lbs.

Needless to say, we won't see that vet again.

-L.

-L.
September 29th 03, 08:57 AM
"Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
> the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
> figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
> the news made it back to the owners OR maybe they just noticed the cat
> getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
> at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
> know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
> looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
> trim, but not unhealthy?

The cat may be on a special diet for medical reasons. But obviously,
the cat isn't being fed enough. I would be inclined to pay the
assholio a turn in-kind and put a note on the cat that said:

"If you do not want me to feed your cat, then feed it enough,
yourself. The cat is obviously hungry and underfed. If the cat is
hungry, and on my property, it WILL be fed."

Better than that, I'd be inclined to make sure kitty "disappeared".
The cat belongs to someone who isn't properly caring for it.

-L.

-L.
September 29th 03, 08:57 AM

"Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
> the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
> figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
> the news made it back to the owners OR maybe they just noticed the cat
> getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
> at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
> know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
> looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
> trim, but not unhealthy?

The cat may be on a special diet for medical reasons. But obviously,
the cat isn't being fed enough. I would be inclined to pay the
assholio a turn in-kind and put a note on the cat that said:

"If you do not want me to feed your cat, then feed it enough,
yourself. The cat is obviously hungry and underfed. If the cat is
hungry, and on my property, it WILL be fed."

Better than that, I'd be inclined to make sure kitty "disappeared".
The cat belongs to someone who isn't properly caring for it.

-L.

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 02:19 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Sherry > composed with style:
> >> .
> >>
> > I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
> > From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
> > when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
> > hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
> > to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
> > picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
> > many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
> > how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

oh Cherly I wasn't saying you were! I am really sorry :-
<cut and paste>
A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat

I said what my vet said to me about Bebe, because I am not used to having
slim cats! and thought she was under weight, sorry should of "Quoted" vet
correctly

I am sorry

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 02:19 PM

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Sherry > composed with style:
> >> .
> >>
> > I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
> > From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
> > when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
> > hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
> > to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
> > picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
> > many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
> > how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(

oh Cherly I wasn't saying you were! I am really sorry :-
<cut and paste>
A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight
cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat

I said what my vet said to me about Bebe, because I am not used to having
slim cats! and thought she was under weight, sorry should of "Quoted" vet
correctly

I am sorry

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 02:26 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
m...

> > > Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and
control
> > than
> > > the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to
> > begin
> > > with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in
my
> > > experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there
are
> > the
> > > opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but
those
> > that
> > > I've had were on the heavy side.
> > >
> > > Sherry
> >
> > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe
was
> > under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un
healthy
> > and the owner is abusing the cat.
>
> If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not have
> the fat reserves to bounce back.

Yes I agree with you! we were worried about Bebe being so slim! we tried
all sorts of tip bits etc to try and get her to put on some weight! it was
my vet that said it not me!

> A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it through a
> major stress.

yes I agree with you totally,

> Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

my vet is at a cats clinic, she specialises in cats only, has a few herself
too... maybe Bebe is not under weight but I am used to having older plumper
cats.

> I have a cat that ideally should weigh 19-20lbs - that's when he is in
> great shape and carries enough weight to get him through. A ****ty
> vet told me he needed to be at 12lbs. I told her he was at 12lbs at
> about 6 months old - this cat is about 25 inches long, without tail.
> He cat recently got sick and dropped to under 17 lbs - he was sickly
> looking and scrawny. I would hate to see him at 12lbs.

Both of my kitten weigh more than Bebe, they are 5 months and 7 months old,
she is very lean but has a lovely shinny coat, bright clear eyes etc. and
does eat but is very fussy. I would love her to put on more weight, she is
14 months maybe when she is older she will

> Needless to say, we won't see that vet again.

> -L.

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 02:26 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
m...

> > > Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and
control
> > than
> > > the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to
> > begin
> > > with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in
my
> > > experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there
are
> > the
> > > opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but
those
> > that
> > > I've had were on the heavy side.
> > >
> > > Sherry
> >
> > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe
was
> > under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un
healthy
> > and the owner is abusing the cat.
>
> If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not have
> the fat reserves to bounce back.

Yes I agree with you! we were worried about Bebe being so slim! we tried
all sorts of tip bits etc to try and get her to put on some weight! it was
my vet that said it not me!

> A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it through a
> major stress.

yes I agree with you totally,

> Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

my vet is at a cats clinic, she specialises in cats only, has a few herself
too... maybe Bebe is not under weight but I am used to having older plumper
cats.

> I have a cat that ideally should weigh 19-20lbs - that's when he is in
> great shape and carries enough weight to get him through. A ****ty
> vet told me he needed to be at 12lbs. I told her he was at 12lbs at
> about 6 months old - this cat is about 25 inches long, without tail.
> He cat recently got sick and dropped to under 17 lbs - he was sickly
> looking and scrawny. I would hate to see him at 12lbs.

Both of my kitten weigh more than Bebe, they are 5 months and 7 months old,
she is very lean but has a lovely shinny coat, bright clear eyes etc. and
does eat but is very fussy. I would love her to put on more weight, she is
14 months maybe when she is older she will

> Needless to say, we won't see that vet again.

> -L.

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 02:26 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
m...

> > > Of course it is. Someone who is more concerned with ownership and
control
> > than
> > > the welfare of the cat. Else the cat would have had a collar & I.D. to
> > begin
> > > with. I don't think well-fed cats go out and beg for food either; in
my
> > > experience the trim cats I've had are picky eaters anyway. Then there
are
> > the
> > > opportunistic eaters, who who *would* eat what anyone put out, but
those
> > that
> > > I've had were on the heavy side.
> > >
> > > Sherry
> >
> > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought Bebe
was
> > under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over weight cats are un
healthy
> > and the owner is abusing the cat.
>
> If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not have
> the fat reserves to bounce back.

Yes I agree with you! we were worried about Bebe being so slim! we tried
all sorts of tip bits etc to try and get her to put on some weight! it was
my vet that said it not me!

> A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it through a
> major stress.

yes I agree with you totally,

> Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

my vet is at a cats clinic, she specialises in cats only, has a few herself
too... maybe Bebe is not under weight but I am used to having older plumper
cats.

> I have a cat that ideally should weigh 19-20lbs - that's when he is in
> great shape and carries enough weight to get him through. A ****ty
> vet told me he needed to be at 12lbs. I told her he was at 12lbs at
> about 6 months old - this cat is about 25 inches long, without tail.
> He cat recently got sick and dropped to under 17 lbs - he was sickly
> looking and scrawny. I would hate to see him at 12lbs.

Both of my kitten weigh more than Bebe, they are 5 months and 7 months old,
she is very lean but has a lovely shinny coat, bright clear eyes etc. and
does eat but is very fussy. I would love her to put on more weight, she is
14 months maybe when she is older she will

> Needless to say, we won't see that vet again.

> -L.

Philip ®
September 29th 03, 04:58 PM
In m,
-L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> > "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> > Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over
> > weight cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>
> If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not
> have
> the fat reserves to bounce back.
>
> A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> through a
> major stress.
>
> Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
noticed? LOL

--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
September 29th 03, 04:58 PM
In m,
-L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> > "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> > Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over
> > weight cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>
> If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not
> have
> the fat reserves to bounce back.
>
> A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> through a
> major stress.
>
> Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
noticed? LOL

--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
September 29th 03, 04:58 PM
In m,
-L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> > "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> > Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over
> > weight cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
>
> If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not
> have
> the fat reserves to bounce back.
>
> A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> through a
> major stress.
>
> Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.

Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
noticed? LOL

--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Karen M.
September 29th 03, 08:01 PM
Sherry wrote:

>>In ,
>>Sherry > composed with style:

>>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>>>From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
>>>when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
>>>hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
>>>to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
>>>picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
>>>many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
>>>how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>>>
>>>Sherry
>>
>>I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>>

> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>
> Sherry

Just like my Audrey is! :)

Karen M.
September 29th 03, 08:01 PM
Sherry wrote:

>>In ,
>>Sherry > composed with style:

>>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>>>From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
>>>when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
>>>hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
>>>to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
>>>picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
>>>many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
>>>how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>>>
>>>Sherry
>>
>>I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>>

> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>
> Sherry

Just like my Audrey is! :)

Karen M.
September 29th 03, 08:01 PM
Sherry wrote:

>>In ,
>>Sherry > composed with style:

>>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>>>From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not knowing
>>>when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether they're
>>>hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's difficult
>>>to keep them from overeating when you're feeding multiple cats, and
>>>picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats, yeah, I guess so. But
>>>many of my rescues have been a bit on the "fluffy" side no matter
>>>how diligent I try to be with their feeding.
>>>
>>>Sherry
>>
>>I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>>

> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>
> Sherry

Just like my Audrey is! :)

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 08:04 PM
"Philip ®" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In m,
> -L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> > > "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> > > Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over
> > > weight cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
> >
> > If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> > his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> > NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not
> > have
> > the fat reserves to bounce back.
> >
> > A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> > through a
> > major stress.
> >
> > Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> > skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> > and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.
>
> Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
> token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
> their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
> noticed? LOL
>
> --
>
> ~~Philip

well I am slim, 8st 8oz and 5ft 5 now I know why Bebe is slim ;-)

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 08:04 PM
"Philip ®" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In m,
> -L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> > > "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> > > Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over
> > > weight cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
> >
> > If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> > his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> > NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not
> > have
> > the fat reserves to bounce back.
> >
> > A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> > through a
> > major stress.
> >
> > Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> > skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> > and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.
>
> Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
> token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
> their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
> noticed? LOL
>
> --
>
> ~~Philip

well I am slim, 8st 8oz and 5ft 5 now I know why Bebe is slim ;-)

~*SooZy*~
September 29th 03, 08:04 PM
"Philip ®" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In m,
> -L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> > > "Sherry " > wrote in message
> > > A slim cat (not too skinny) is a healthy cat! we always thought
> > > Bebe was under weight but my vet said she is perfect, over
> > > weight cats are un healthy and the owner is abusing the cat.
> >
> > If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly that
> > his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen "slim" cats
> > NOT recover from surgery and illness simply because they do not
> > have
> > the fat reserves to bounce back.
> >
> > A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> > through a
> > major stress.
> >
> > Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be this
> > skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot of cats
> > and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen the type.
>
> Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
> token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
> their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
> noticed? LOL
>
> --
>
> ~~Philip

well I am slim, 8st 8oz and 5ft 5 now I know why Bebe is slim ;-)

Philip ®
September 29th 03, 10:20 PM
In ,
~*SooZy*~ > being of bellicose mind
posted:
> "Philip ®" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > In m,
> > -L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > >
> > > If your cat gets deathly ill, you will find out really quickly
> > > that his "slimness" isn't in his best interest. I have seen
> > > "slim" cats NOT recover from surgery and illness simply
> > > because they do not have
> > > the fat reserves to bounce back.
> > >
> > > A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> > > through a
> > > major stress.
> > >
> > > Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be
> > > this skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot
> > > of cats and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen
> > > the type.
> >
> > Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
> > token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
> > their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
> > noticed? LOL
> >
> > --
> >
> > ~~Philip
>
> well I am slim, 8st 8oz and 5ft 5 now I know why Bebe is slim ;-)

Hmmm... (converting to American figures). About 112 pounds.
That's slim.
--

> [...]

> > > because they do not have
> > > the fat reserves to bounce back.
> > >
> > > A cat should be solid, with enough fat on its body to get it
> > > through a
> > > major stress.
> > >
> > > Some vets are way out of control in the "your cat has to be
> > > this skinny" ideology. They are vets who A) Don't treat a lot
> > > of cats and/or B) Have weight issues themselves. I've seen
> > > the type.
> >
> > Hmmmm.... a veterinarian practicing "projection." By the same
> > token, plenty of cat owners practice projecting THEIR biases onto
> > their pets. Fat people don't often have skinny cats ... have you
> > noticed? LOL
> >
> > --
> >
> > ~~Philip
>
> well I am slim, 8st 8oz and 5ft 5 now I know why Bebe is slim ;-)

Hmmm... (converting to American figures). About 112 pounds.

September 29th 03, 10:51 PM
In m,
-L. > composed with style:

>> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>
> I don't think ANYONE who reads this ng for any period of time would
> even *remotely* think that you are. Hell, you treat your cats
> better
> than I treat mine, and I wouldn't say that about very many people.
> ;)
>
> -L.

I know.. I had to say that. lol I feel bad about his weight but I've
been battling with this cats weight ever since he got some meat on his
bones after I got him. I know I didn't know how to feed cats back
then but I'm learning and trying. :)

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 10:51 PM
In m,
-L. > composed with style:

>> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>
> I don't think ANYONE who reads this ng for any period of time would
> even *remotely* think that you are. Hell, you treat your cats
> better
> than I treat mine, and I wouldn't say that about very many people.
> ;)
>
> -L.

I know.. I had to say that. lol I feel bad about his weight but I've
been battling with this cats weight ever since he got some meat on his
bones after I got him. I know I didn't know how to feed cats back
then but I'm learning and trying. :)

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 10:51 PM
In m,
-L. > composed with style:

>> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>
> I don't think ANYONE who reads this ng for any period of time would
> even *remotely* think that you are. Hell, you treat your cats
> better
> than I treat mine, and I wouldn't say that about very many people.
> ;)
>
> -L.

I know.. I had to say that. lol I feel bad about his weight but I've
been battling with this cats weight ever since he got some meat on his
bones after I got him. I know I didn't know how to feed cats back
then but I'm learning and trying. :)

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 10:52 PM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>> In ,
>> Sherry > composed with style:
>>>>
>>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>>> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not
>>> knowing when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether
>>> they're hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's
>>> difficult to keep them from overeating when you're feeding
>>> multiple cats, and picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats,
>>> yeah, I guess so. But many of my rescues have been a bit on the
>>> "fluffy" side no matter how diligent I try to be with their
>>> feeding.
>>>
>>> Sherry
>>
>> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>>
> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>
> Sherry

Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I said
to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
way then how he was last year. Working on it!

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 10:52 PM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>> In ,
>> Sherry > composed with style:
>>>>
>>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>>> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not
>>> knowing when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether
>>> they're hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's
>>> difficult to keep them from overeating when you're feeding
>>> multiple cats, and picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats,
>>> yeah, I guess so. But many of my rescues have been a bit on the
>>> "fluffy" side no matter how diligent I try to be with their
>>> feeding.
>>>
>>> Sherry
>>
>> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>>
> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>
> Sherry

Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I said
to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
way then how he was last year. Working on it!

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 10:52 PM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>> In ,
>> Sherry > composed with style:
>>>>
>>> I wouldn't go as far as to say a fat cat has an abusive owner.
>>> From my experience with rescues, they have gone so long not
>>> knowing when the next meal is, they wolf down everything whether
>>> they're hungry or not. "Opportunistic eating" if you will. It's
>>> difficult to keep them from overeating when you're feeding
>>> multiple cats, and picky eaters among them. Grossly obese cats,
>>> yeah, I guess so. But many of my rescues have been a bit on the
>>> "fluffy" side no matter how diligent I try to be with their
>>> feeding.
>>>
>>> Sherry
>>
>> I am NOT abusive to Shadow!!! :(
>>
> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>
> Sherry

Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I said
to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
way then how he was last year. Working on it!

Sherry
September 30th 03, 07:04 AM
>> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>>
>> Sherry
>
>Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I said
>to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
>way then how he was last year. Working on it!

IMO, Shadow needs the reserve anyway. See Lyn's post. Boottygirl is so doggone
picky. If she ever gets sick, she would get down fast. There's just no reserve.

Sherry

Sherry
September 30th 03, 07:04 AM
>> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>>
>> Sherry
>
>Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I said
>to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
>way then how he was last year. Working on it!

IMO, Shadow needs the reserve anyway. See Lyn's post. Boottygirl is so doggone
picky. If she ever gets sick, she would get down fast. There's just no reserve.

Sherry

Sherry
September 30th 03, 07:04 AM
>> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>>
>> Sherry
>
>Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I said
>to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
>way then how he was last year. Working on it!

IMO, Shadow needs the reserve anyway. See Lyn's post. Boottygirl is so doggone
picky. If she ever gets sick, she would get down fast. There's just no reserve.

Sherry

Napoleon
October 1st 03, 05:24 AM
(-L.) wrote in message >...
> "Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> > I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
> > the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
> > figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
> > the news made it back to the owners OR maybe they just noticed the cat
> > getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
> > at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
> > know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
> > looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
> > trim, but not unhealthy?
> >

> The cat may be on a special diet for medical reasons. But obviously,
> the cat isn't being fed enough. I would be inclined to pay the
> assholio a turn in-kind and put a note on the cat that said:
>
> "If you do not want me to feed your cat, then feed it enough,
> yourself. The cat is obviously hungry and underfed. If the cat is
> hungry, and on my property, it WILL be fed."
>
> Better than that, I'd be inclined to make sure kitty "disappeared".
> The cat belongs to someone who isn't properly caring for it.
>
> -L.

While I'm inclined to believe that the czt may be underfed in this
instance (and we can't really know without seeing what it looks like),
I can tell you from experience that the fact that a cat will eat at
someone's home other than its owner's doesn't mean the owner isn't
feeding it enough. When I was growing up, we had an indoor/outdoor cat
who was fed regularly (hell, my parents served him scrambled eggs for
breakfast every morning) and, while he wasn't fat, you could tell he
didn't have any problem getting enough to eat. But I can remember
instances where he would go missing for days (I was pretty attached to
the cat and would get upset when he would go on these "trips") and
then show up at home without a care in the world. We knew he had
another "home on the side" somewhere but we never figured out where it
was. If a cat happens to find himself somewhere where there are people
he/she trusts and he/she's feeling peckish, he/she ain't gonna turn
down a meal. :-)

Napoleon
October 1st 03, 05:24 AM

(-L.) wrote in message >...
> "Lydia" > wrote in message >...
> > I asked that myself when I was chatting online with the girl who is feeding
> > the cat... she doesn't know, but it could be a couple of possibilities we
> > figured. Either a neighbor of a neighbor, etc. saw the cat being fed and
> > the news made it back to the owners OR maybe they just noticed the cat
> > getting bigger and the note was more of a "to whom it may concern" directed
> > at no specific individual - just whoever might be feeding the cat. I don't
> > know *how* skinny the cat is - just in my friend's opinion she thought kitty
> > looked skinny and would like some food. So maybe the owners are keeping her
> > trim, but not unhealthy?
> >

> The cat may be on a special diet for medical reasons. But obviously,
> the cat isn't being fed enough. I would be inclined to pay the
> assholio a turn in-kind and put a note on the cat that said:
>
> "If you do not want me to feed your cat, then feed it enough,
> yourself. The cat is obviously hungry and underfed. If the cat is
> hungry, and on my property, it WILL be fed."
>
> Better than that, I'd be inclined to make sure kitty "disappeared".
> The cat belongs to someone who isn't properly caring for it.
>
> -L.

While I'm inclined to believe that the czt may be underfed in this
instance (and we can't really know without seeing what it looks like),
I can tell you from experience that the fact that a cat will eat at
someone's home other than its owner's doesn't mean the owner isn't
feeding it enough. When I was growing up, we had an indoor/outdoor cat
who was fed regularly (hell, my parents served him scrambled eggs for
breakfast every morning) and, while he wasn't fat, you could tell he
didn't have any problem getting enough to eat. But I can remember
instances where he would go missing for days (I was pretty attached to
the cat and would get upset when he would go on these "trips") and
then show up at home without a care in the world. We knew he had
another "home on the side" somewhere but we never figured out where it
was. If a cat happens to find himself somewhere where there are people
he/she trusts and he/she's feeling peckish, he/she ain't gonna turn
down a meal. :-)

Cheryl
October 1st 03, 11:13 PM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>>> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>>>
>>> Sherry
>>
>> Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I
>> said
>> to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
>> way then how he was last year. Working on it!
>>
> IMO, Shadow needs the reserve anyway. See Lyn's post. Boottygirl is
> so doggone picky. If she ever gets sick, she would get down fast.
> There's just no reserve.
>
> Sherry

Have you had any luck with her and some of the food suggestions? Does
she pass on Fancy Feast? Not that you want a FF junkie but it's good
for weight gain. :) I found a canned food at Petco that both Shadow
and Shamrock will eat called Petreet. Chicken and rice, though it's a
bit costly. But it looks halfway decent ingredient-wise, and since
Shadow is so picky with canned food, it must taste pretty good.

Cheryl
October 1st 03, 11:13 PM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>>> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>>>
>>> Sherry
>>
>> Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I
>> said
>> to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
>> way then how he was last year. Working on it!
>>
> IMO, Shadow needs the reserve anyway. See Lyn's post. Boottygirl is
> so doggone picky. If she ever gets sick, she would get down fast.
> There's just no reserve.
>
> Sherry

Have you had any luck with her and some of the food suggestions? Does
she pass on Fancy Feast? Not that you want a FF junkie but it's good
for weight gain. :) I found a canned food at Petco that both Shadow
and Shamrock will eat called Petreet. Chicken and rice, though it's a
bit costly. But it looks halfway decent ingredient-wise, and since
Shadow is so picky with canned food, it must taste pretty good.

Cheryl
October 1st 03, 11:13 PM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>>> Of course you aren't. Shadow isn't fat. He's.....fluffy. Right?
>>>
>>> Sherry
>>
>> Yeah, that's it. ;) I was just playin with ya Sherry... like I
>> said
>> to Lyn, I feel bad about his weight but it's better to see him this
>> way then how he was last year. Working on it!
>>
> IMO, Shadow needs the reserve anyway. See Lyn's post. Boottygirl is
> so doggone picky. If she ever gets sick, she would get down fast.
> There's just no reserve.
>
> Sherry

Have you had any luck with her and some of the food suggestions? Does
she pass on Fancy Feast? Not that you want a FF junkie but it's good
for weight gain. :) I found a canned food at Petco that both Shadow
and Shamrock will eat called Petreet. Chicken and rice, though it's a
bit costly. But it looks halfway decent ingredient-wise, and since
Shadow is so picky with canned food, it must taste pretty good.

Sherry
October 2nd 03, 01:57 AM
>Have you had any luck with her and some of the food suggestions? Does
>she pass on Fancy Feast? Not that you want a FF junkie but it's good
>for weight gain. :) I found a canned food at Petco that both Shadow
>and Shamrock will eat called Petreet. Chicken and rice, though it's a
>bit costly. But it looks halfway decent ingredient-wise, and since
>Shadow is so picky with canned food, it must taste pretty good.

Petreet.I've never seen it but I'll look. Oh, yes, Her Royal Bootness turns her
nose up at Fancy Feast too. Ditto canned SD, Pro Plan, Nutro. We've tried
everything. Pro Plan dry is about it. I had a leftover piece of Mahi mahi and
she ate every crumb the other day. Go figure.

Sherry

Sherry
October 2nd 03, 01:57 AM
>Have you had any luck with her and some of the food suggestions? Does
>she pass on Fancy Feast? Not that you want a FF junkie but it's good
>for weight gain. :) I found a canned food at Petco that both Shadow
>and Shamrock will eat called Petreet. Chicken and rice, though it's a
>bit costly. But it looks halfway decent ingredient-wise, and since
>Shadow is so picky with canned food, it must taste pretty good.

Petreet.I've never seen it but I'll look. Oh, yes, Her Royal Bootness turns her
nose up at Fancy Feast too. Ditto canned SD, Pro Plan, Nutro. We've tried
everything. Pro Plan dry is about it. I had a leftover piece of Mahi mahi and
she ate every crumb the other day. Go figure.

Sherry

Sherry
October 2nd 03, 01:57 AM
>Have you had any luck with her and some of the food suggestions? Does
>she pass on Fancy Feast? Not that you want a FF junkie but it's good
>for weight gain. :) I found a canned food at Petco that both Shadow
>and Shamrock will eat called Petreet. Chicken and rice, though it's a
>bit costly. But it looks halfway decent ingredient-wise, and since
>Shadow is so picky with canned food, it must taste pretty good.

Petreet.I've never seen it but I'll look. Oh, yes, Her Royal Bootness turns her
nose up at Fancy Feast too. Ditto canned SD, Pro Plan, Nutro. We've tried
everything. Pro Plan dry is about it. I had a leftover piece of Mahi mahi and
she ate every crumb the other day. Go figure.

Sherry

Cheryl
October 2nd 03, 03:26 AM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style:
>> Have you had any luck with her and some of the food suggestions?
>> Does
>> she pass on Fancy Feast? Not that you want a FF junkie but it's
>> good
>> for weight gain. :) I found a canned food at Petco that both
>> Shadow
>> and Shamrock will eat called Petreet. Chicken and rice, though
>> it's a
>> bit costly. But it looks halfway decent ingredient-wise, and since
>> Shadow is so picky with canned food, it must taste pretty good.
>>
> Petreet.I've never seen it but I'll look. Oh, yes, Her Royal
> Bootness turns her nose up at Fancy Feast too. Ditto canned SD, Pro
> Plan, Nutro. We've tried everything. Pro Plan dry is about it. I
> had a leftover piece of Mahi mahi and she ate every crumb the other
> day. Go figure.
>
> Sherry

LOL That sounds like Bonnie. I can't get that girl to eat canned
food. She isn't skinny at all (now) but she is so stubborn it's
maddening. She wraps herself around my legs in the mornings to be fed
because I give her dry in the morning and canned at night and she
won't eat it. I've tried so many different kinds and even tried
switching her to canned in the morning when I know she's hungry and
she won't go for it. Since I'm gone for like 10 hours I give in and
give her dry. I might try reversing the plan and give her dry at
night and canned in the morning... but then she'd have to go all day
without eating if she won't touch it. She's very mean when she's
hungry. lol When I withhold dry food at night she attacks my feet
all night for me to feed her. I've lost lots of sleep.

Cheryl
October 2nd 03, 03:26 AM
In ,
Sherry > composed with style: