PDA

View Full Version : Cat doesn't want to stay indoors

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 22nd 03, 09:47 PM
Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
right?) cat here...

Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
the kitchen straight away.

She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?

Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-

http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody

Karen
September 22nd 03, 11:35 PM
in article , Miner At The
Dial-A-View at wrote on 9/22/03 3:47 PM:

> Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
> right?) cat here...
>
> Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
> possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
> to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
> after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
> and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
> her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
> If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
> the kitchen straight away.
>
> She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
> insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
> we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
> of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
>
> So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
>
> Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
>
> http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
> http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg

Does she sense winter is coming and wants to make the most of it?

Karen

Karen
September 22nd 03, 11:35 PM
in article , Miner At The
Dial-A-View at wrote on 9/22/03 3:47 PM:

> Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
> right?) cat here...
>
> Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
> possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
> to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
> after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
> and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
> her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
> If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
> the kitchen straight away.
>
> She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
> insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
> we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
> of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
>
> So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
>
> Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
>
> http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
> http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg

Does she sense winter is coming and wants to make the most of it?

Karen

Karen
September 22nd 03, 11:35 PM
in article , Miner At The
Dial-A-View at wrote on 9/22/03 3:47 PM:

> Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
> right?) cat here...
>
> Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
> possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
> to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
> after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
> and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
> her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
> If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
> the kitchen straight away.
>
> She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
> insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
> we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
> of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
>
> So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
>
> Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
>
> http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
> http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg

Does she sense winter is coming and wants to make the most of it?

Karen

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:38 AM
Miner At The Dial-A-View writes

>Over the last couple of months my >cat has spent as much time as she
>possibly can outdoors and is really >reluctant to stay indoors.

You don't mention how your cat started going out in the first place. Given that
the general viewpoint outside the US is that leaving a cat outdoors is OK and
that - in the US - the experts warn us to keep the cats inside...I will ask
you to think about this. One program that does focus on cat fatalities and
serious injuries is called "Emergency Vets" on Animal Planet. The majority of
cases do focus on the unfortunate deaths and serious injuries of cats allowed
to roam outside. Letting a cat roam outside is not unlike gambling with the
cat's life. Cats are domesticated and do quite well indoors (with access to
screened windows). Cats can't read "Walk/Don't Walk" signs...tell red from
green lights..they don't look both ways to cross the street..they don't know
the tasty liquid coolant/antifreeze leeking from a car is toxic and will cause
them to have seizures and die...they might not escape from the deadly clutches
of the big neighborhood dog..they might not know that sleeping behind a tire of
a car is a dangerous thing..and they won't know that the group of kids coming
up the street have plans to grab him/her and cause harm.

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:38 AM
Miner At The Dial-A-View writes

>Over the last couple of months my >cat has spent as much time as she
>possibly can outdoors and is really >reluctant to stay indoors.

You don't mention how your cat started going out in the first place. Given that
the general viewpoint outside the US is that leaving a cat outdoors is OK and
that - in the US - the experts warn us to keep the cats inside...I will ask
you to think about this. One program that does focus on cat fatalities and
serious injuries is called "Emergency Vets" on Animal Planet. The majority of
cases do focus on the unfortunate deaths and serious injuries of cats allowed
to roam outside. Letting a cat roam outside is not unlike gambling with the
cat's life. Cats are domesticated and do quite well indoors (with access to
screened windows). Cats can't read "Walk/Don't Walk" signs...tell red from
green lights..they don't look both ways to cross the street..they don't know
the tasty liquid coolant/antifreeze leeking from a car is toxic and will cause
them to have seizures and die...they might not escape from the deadly clutches
of the big neighborhood dog..they might not know that sleeping behind a tire of
a car is a dangerous thing..and they won't know that the group of kids coming
up the street have plans to grab him/her and cause harm.

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:38 AM
Miner At The Dial-A-View writes

>Over the last couple of months my >cat has spent as much time as she
>possibly can outdoors and is really >reluctant to stay indoors.

You don't mention how your cat started going out in the first place. Given that
the general viewpoint outside the US is that leaving a cat outdoors is OK and
that - in the US - the experts warn us to keep the cats inside...I will ask
you to think about this. One program that does focus on cat fatalities and
serious injuries is called "Emergency Vets" on Animal Planet. The majority of
cases do focus on the unfortunate deaths and serious injuries of cats allowed
to roam outside. Letting a cat roam outside is not unlike gambling with the
cat's life. Cats are domesticated and do quite well indoors (with access to
screened windows). Cats can't read "Walk/Don't Walk" signs...tell red from
green lights..they don't look both ways to cross the street..they don't know
the tasty liquid coolant/antifreeze leeking from a car is toxic and will cause
them to have seizures and die...they might not escape from the deadly clutches
of the big neighborhood dog..they might not know that sleeping behind a tire of
a car is a dangerous thing..and they won't know that the group of kids coming
up the street have plans to grab him/her and cause harm.

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:39 AM
That is one gorgeous cat!

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:39 AM
That is one gorgeous cat!

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 02:39 AM
That is one gorgeous cat!

m. L. Briggs
September 23rd 03, 03:15 AM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:47:52 +0100, Miner At The Dial-A-View
> wrote:

>Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
>right?) cat here...
>
>Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
>possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
>to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
>after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
>and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
>her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
>If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
>the kitchen straight away.
>
>She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
>insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
>we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
>of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
>
>So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
>
>Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
>
>http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
>http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg

Us she a polydactyl?

m. L. Briggs
September 23rd 03, 03:15 AM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:47:52 +0100, Miner At The Dial-A-View
> wrote:

>Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
>right?) cat here...
>
>Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
>possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
>to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
>after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
>and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
>her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
>If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
>the kitchen straight away.
>
>She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
>insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
>we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
>of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
>
>So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
>
>Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
>
>http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
>http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg

Us she a polydactyl?

m. L. Briggs
September 23rd 03, 03:15 AM
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:47:52 +0100, Miner At The Dial-A-View
> wrote:

>Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
>right?) cat here...
>
>Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
>possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
>to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
>after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
>and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
>her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
>If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
>the kitchen straight away.
>
>She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
>insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
>we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
>of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
>
>So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
>
>Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
>
>http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
>http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg

Us she a polydactyl?

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 23rd 03, 01:50 PM
Karen said...

> > Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
> > right?) cat here...
> >
> > Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
> > possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
> > to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
> > after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
> > and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
> > her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
> > If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
> > the kitchen straight away.
> >
> > She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
> > insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
> > we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
> > of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
> >
> > So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
> >
> > Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
> >
> > http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
> > http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg
>
> Does she sense winter is coming and wants to make the most of it?

It's a possibility. It's still not particularly cold or rainy at the
moment, so I don't think I need to start worrying just yet.

--
> [...]

> > She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
> > insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
> > we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
> > of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
> >
> > So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
> >
> > Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
> >
> > http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
> > http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg
>
> Does she sense winter is coming and wants to make the most of it?

It's a possibility. It's still not particularly cold or rainy at the
moment, so I don't think I need to start worrying just yet.

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

September 23rd 03, 01:56 PM
Luvskats00 said...

> >Over the last couple of months my >cat has spent as much time as she
> >possibly can outdoors and is really >reluctant to stay indoors.
>
> You don't mention how your cat started going out in the first place. Given that
> the general viewpoint outside the US is that leaving a cat outdoors is OK and
> that - in the US - the experts warn us to keep the cats inside...I will ask
> you to think about this. One program that does focus on cat fatalities and
> serious injuries is called "Emergency Vets" on Animal Planet. The majority of
> cases do focus on the unfortunate deaths and serious injuries of cats allowed
> to roam outside. Letting a cat roam outside is not unlike gambling with the
> cat's life. Cats are domesticated and do quite well indoors (with access to
> screened windows). Cats can't read "Walk/Don't Walk" signs...tell red from
> green lights..they don't look both ways to cross the street..they don't know
> the tasty liquid coolant/antifreeze leeking from a car is toxic and will cause
> them to have seizures and die...they might not escape from the deadly clutches
> of the big neighborhood dog..they might not know that sleeping behind a tire of
> a car is a dangerous thing..and they won't know that the group of kids coming
> up the street have plans to grab him/her and cause harm.

Yes, I'm in the UK, and it's normal practise to let your cat outdoors and
I don't really see any problem with it. I always have done, and probably
always will.

I don't live in a city, there aren't any busy roads nearby and when she
does go out she rarely goes further than the back garden. Cats aren't
stupid, they can recognise danger when they see it, and I think my cat
would be mightily annoyed if we refused to let her outside.

--

I know :-D

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 23rd 03, 01:56 PM
Luvskats00 said...

> That is one gorgeous cat!

I know :-D

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 23rd 03, 01:56 PM
Luvskats00 said...

> That is one gorgeous cat!

I know :-D

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 23rd 03, 01:57 PM
m. L. Briggs said...
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:47:52 +0100, Miner At The Dial-A-View
> > wrote:
>
> >Looking for some advice concerining my 15 year old (that's OAP status,
> >right?) cat here...
> >
> >Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
> >possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors. It's got
> >to the point now where she comes into the kitchen for food and
> >after she finishes eating, she immediately goes and sits by the back door
> >and will keep sitting there until she is let out. No amount of calling
> >her will get her to come voluntarily into any other part of the house.
> >If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
> >the kitchen straight away.
> >
> >She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
> >insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
> >we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
> >of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
> >
> >So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
> >
> >Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
> >
> >http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
> >http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg
>
> Us she a polydactyl?

You're gonna have to explain that one to me...

--
> [...]

> >If we pick her up and carry her into the living room, she'll run out into
> >the kitchen straight away.
> >
> >She seems perfectly healthy (despite her age) and is still chasing
> >insects/mice/birds. Her appetite is as good as it ever was. Initially
> >we thought it might be because of the hot summer, but now it's the middle
> >of september and it's getting colder but she's still the same.
> >
> >So does anyone have any ideas as to why she doesn't want to stay inside?
> >
> >Oh, and here's some pics of her! :-
> >
> >http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/cat.JPG
> >http://www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk/pics/trotsky2.jpg
>
> Us she a polydactyl?

You're gonna have to explain that one to me...

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 02:24 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Cats aren't
> stupid, they can recognise danger when they see it,

If that were true of all cats, none would die from poison, bad people,
dog attacks, coyotes, cars, etc...

If the cat stays in your garden, she's pretty darn safe, though,
assuming you don't have any local predators who can get in. When I get a
house, I *will* find a way to cat-proof the yard if it kills me. :)

(just saw yet another dead cat by the side of the road this morning -
*sigh*)

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 02:24 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Cats aren't
> stupid, they can recognise danger when they see it,

If that were true of all cats, none would die from poison, bad people,
dog attacks, coyotes, cars, etc...

If the cat stays in your garden, she's pretty darn safe, though,
assuming you don't have any local predators who can get in. When I get a
house, I *will* find a way to cat-proof the yard if it kills me. :)

(just saw yet another dead cat by the side of the road this morning -
*sigh*)

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 23rd 03, 02:24 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Cats aren't
> stupid, they can recognise danger when they see it,

If that were true of all cats, none would die from poison, bad people,
dog attacks, coyotes, cars, etc...

If the cat stays in your garden, she's pretty darn safe, though,
assuming you don't have any local predators who can get in. When I get a
house, I *will* find a way to cat-proof the yard if it kills me. :)

(just saw yet another dead cat by the side of the road this morning -
*sigh*)

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:29 PM
>> Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
>> possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors.

Mine do that sometimes. When they were younger, though. It was always during
the time of year when the seasons change. (Like now, we're coming of days on
end of 100+ temperatures into a gorgeous autumn). I always thought, either,
like us, they like to enjoy the cooler weather, or maybe the little critters,
moles and mice and such, are more active and the hunting is good.
Sherry

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:29 PM
>> Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
>> possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors.

Mine do that sometimes. When they were younger, though. It was always during
the time of year when the seasons change. (Like now, we're coming of days on
end of 100+ temperatures into a gorgeous autumn). I always thought, either,
like us, they like to enjoy the cooler weather, or maybe the little critters,
moles and mice and such, are more active and the hunting is good.
Sherry

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:29 PM
>> Over the last couple of months my cat has spent as much time as she
>> possibly can outdoors and is really reluctant to stay indoors.

Mine do that sometimes. When they were younger, though. It was always during
the time of year when the seasons change. (Like now, we're coming of days on
end of 100+ temperatures into a gorgeous autumn). I always thought, either,
like us, they like to enjoy the cooler weather, or maybe the little critters,
moles and mice and such, are more active and the hunting is good.
Sherry

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 02:33 PM
"Miner At The Dial-A-View" > wrote in message
.com...

> You're gonna have to explain that one to me...
>
> --

Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!

I've noticed my cat seems to want to go out more and more. She dashes
outside as soon as the door is open and at night time she doesn't want to
come in! I think it's because it's the perfect weather for her--not too hot
and not yet too cold (I'm in the Canadian prairies, so it will get very cold
very soon). Plus the birds are starting to travel south, giving her a lot
of eye-candy!

Last week, she dashed out before I could get her harness on and ran half-way
up a tree! I didn't even know she could climb trees, since she can't jump
very high at all!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 02:33 PM
"Miner At The Dial-A-View" > wrote in message
.com...

> You're gonna have to explain that one to me...
>
> --

Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!

I've noticed my cat seems to want to go out more and more. She dashes
outside as soon as the door is open and at night time she doesn't want to
come in! I think it's because it's the perfect weather for her--not too hot
and not yet too cold (I'm in the Canadian prairies, so it will get very cold
very soon). Plus the birds are starting to travel south, giving her a lot
of eye-candy!

Last week, she dashed out before I could get her harness on and ran half-way
up a tree! I didn't even know she could climb trees, since she can't jump
very high at all!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 02:33 PM
"Miner At The Dial-A-View" > wrote in message
.com...

> You're gonna have to explain that one to me...
>
> --

Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!

I've noticed my cat seems to want to go out more and more. She dashes
outside as soon as the door is open and at night time she doesn't want to
come in! I think it's because it's the perfect weather for her--not too hot
and not yet too cold (I'm in the Canadian prairies, so it will get very cold
very soon). Plus the birds are starting to travel south, giving her a lot
of eye-candy!

Last week, she dashed out before I could get her harness on and ran half-way
up a tree! I didn't even know she could climb trees, since she can't jump
very high at all!

rona

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:41 PM
>Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
>Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
>more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
>their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!

Neat trivia! I'll tell Yoda, who is, unfortunately, a dreadfully landlocked
kitty. I dont know much about other polys, but over the years Yoda has learned
to use those extra toes as "thumbs" and is really good at opening cabinet doors
and such. His feet are so fun to play with. If you rub the pad with your
finger, he curls his toes around your finger, like a baby does. Here's a pic of
Yoda's feet
http://www.members.aol.com/sriddles/toes.jpg

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:41 PM
>Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
>Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
>more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
>their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!

Neat trivia! I'll tell Yoda, who is, unfortunately, a dreadfully landlocked
kitty. I dont know much about other polys, but over the years Yoda has learned
to use those extra toes as "thumbs" and is really good at opening cabinet doors
and such. His feet are so fun to play with. If you rub the pad with your
finger, he curls his toes around your finger, like a baby does. Here's a pic of
Yoda's feet
http://www.members.aol.com/sriddles/toes.jpg

Sherry
September 23rd 03, 02:41 PM
>Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
>Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
>more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
>their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!

Neat trivia! I'll tell Yoda, who is, unfortunately, a dreadfully landlocked
kitty. I dont know much about other polys, but over the years Yoda has learned
to use those extra toes as "thumbs" and is really good at opening cabinet doors
and such. His feet are so fun to play with. If you rub the pad with your
finger, he curls his toes around your finger, like a baby does. Here's a pic of
Yoda's feet
http://www.members.aol.com/sriddles/toes.jpg

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 05:49 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message

> Neat trivia! I'll tell Yoda, who is, unfortunately, a dreadfully
landlocked
> kitty. I dont know much about other polys, but over the years Yoda has
learned
> to use those extra toes as "thumbs" and is really good at opening cabinet
doors
> and such. His feet are so fun to play with. If you rub the pad with your
> finger, he curls his toes around your finger, like a baby does. Here's a
pic of
> Yoda's feet
> http://www.members.aol.com/sriddles/toes.jpg

Them's big feet! My cat isn't a polydactyl, but she also curls her paws
around my finger. I love it when she does that (even though she usually
does it to keep me from petting her).

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 05:49 PM

"Sherry " > wrote in message

> Neat trivia! I'll tell Yoda, who is, unfortunately, a dreadfully
landlocked
> kitty. I dont know much about other polys, but over the years Yoda has
learned
> to use those extra toes as "thumbs" and is really good at opening cabinet
doors
> and such. His feet are so fun to play with. If you rub the pad with your
> finger, he curls his toes around your finger, like a baby does. Here's a
pic of
> Yoda's feet
> http://www.members.aol.com/sriddles/toes.jpg

Them's big feet! My cat isn't a polydactyl, but she also curls her paws
around my finger. I love it when she does that (even though she usually
does it to keep me from petting her).

rona

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 23rd 03, 09:37 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol said...

> > You're gonna have to explain that one to me...
>
> Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
> Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
> more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
> their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!
>
> I've noticed my cat seems to want to go out more and more. She dashes
> outside as soon as the door is open and at night time she doesn't want to
> come in! I think it's because it's the perfect weather for her--not too hot
> and not yet too cold (I'm in the Canadian prairies, so it will get very cold
> very soon). Plus the birds are starting to travel south, giving her a lot
> of eye-candy!
>
> Last week, she dashed out before I could get her harness on and ran half-way
> up a tree! I didn't even know she could climb trees, since she can't jump
> very high at all!

Thanks for the info, very interesting. But my cat's feet are normal
AFAICT.

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 23rd 03, 09:37 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol said...

> > You're gonna have to explain that one to me...
>
> Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
> Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
> more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
> their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!
>
> I've noticed my cat seems to want to go out more and more. She dashes
> outside as soon as the door is open and at night time she doesn't want to
> come in! I think it's because it's the perfect weather for her--not too hot
> and not yet too cold (I'm in the Canadian prairies, so it will get very cold
> very soon). Plus the birds are starting to travel south, giving her a lot
> of eye-candy!
>
> Last week, she dashed out before I could get her harness on and ran half-way
> up a tree! I didn't even know she could climb trees, since she can't jump
> very high at all!

Thanks for the info, very interesting. But my cat's feet are normal
AFAICT.

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Miner At The Dial-A-View
September 23rd 03, 09:37 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol said...

> > You're gonna have to explain that one to me...
>
> Polydactyl cats have more than the designated number of claws on each paw.
> Usually 6. They make very good mousers and one theory was that they will
> more often be found in coastal areas because sailors preferred them for
> their ships. That's just a bit of trivia for you!
>
> I've noticed my cat seems to want to go out more and more. She dashes
> outside as soon as the door is open and at night time she doesn't want to
> come in! I think it's because it's the perfect weather for her--not too hot
> and not yet too cold (I'm in the Canadian prairies, so it will get very cold
> very soon). Plus the birds are starting to travel south, giving her a lot
> of eye-candy!
>
> Last week, she dashed out before I could get her harness on and ran half-way
> up a tree! I didn't even know she could climb trees, since she can't jump
> very high at all!

Thanks for the info, very interesting. But my cat's feet are normal
AFAICT.

--
Andrew
NP / Nothing / Nobody
www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
"lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 09:50 PM
> Last week, she dashed out before >I could get her harness on and ran
>half-way
> up a tree! I didn't even know she >could climb trees, since she can't >jump
very high at all!

You mean that when you started putting the harness on she got up, opened the
door, and dashed out? I'm sure you wouldn't think of opening the door and then
while she had access to the outside, you'd then start putting on the harness.

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 09:50 PM
> Last week, she dashed out before >I could get her harness on and ran
>half-way
> up a tree! I didn't even know she >could climb trees, since she can't >jump
very high at all!

You mean that when you started putting the harness on she got up, opened the
door, and dashed out? I'm sure you wouldn't think of opening the door and then
while she had access to the outside, you'd then start putting on the harness.

Luvskats00
September 23rd 03, 09:50 PM
> Last week, she dashed out before >I could get her harness on and ran
>half-way
> up a tree! I didn't even know she >could climb trees, since she can't >jump
very high at all!

You mean that when you started putting the harness on she got up, opened the
door, and dashed out? I'm sure you wouldn't think of opening the door and then
while she had access to the outside, you'd then start putting on the harness.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 11:02 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message

> You mean that when you started putting the harness on she got up, opened
the
> door, and dashed out? I'm sure you wouldn't think of opening the door and
then
> while she had access to the outside, you'd then start putting on the
harness.

No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home, I open
the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get inside, but sometimes
even when shooed away, she'll make a dash for the door before I can get it
closed. She's pretty fast. It's especially difficult when two of us come
home at once since the door is open for a slightly longer period of time. I
normally keep her harness on at all times for that very reason. It's easier
to catch her when she dashes out the door, and it's easier to get her leash
on than her harness. Sometimes, though, I take it off to give her a break
from it and give her a full brushing. That time she dashed up the tree was
one of the times I hadn't put her harness back on.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 11:02 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message

> You mean that when you started putting the harness on she got up, opened
the
> door, and dashed out? I'm sure you wouldn't think of opening the door and
then
> while she had access to the outside, you'd then start putting on the
harness.

No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home, I open
the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get inside, but sometimes
even when shooed away, she'll make a dash for the door before I can get it
closed. She's pretty fast. It's especially difficult when two of us come
home at once since the door is open for a slightly longer period of time. I
normally keep her harness on at all times for that very reason. It's easier
to catch her when she dashes out the door, and it's easier to get her leash
on than her harness. Sometimes, though, I take it off to give her a break
from it and give her a full brushing. That time she dashed up the tree was
one of the times I hadn't put her harness back on.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 23rd 03, 11:02 PM
"Luvskats00" > wrote in message

> You mean that when you started putting the harness on she got up, opened
the
> door, and dashed out? I'm sure you wouldn't think of opening the door and
then
> while she had access to the outside, you'd then start putting on the
harness.

No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home, I open
the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get inside, but sometimes
even when shooed away, she'll make a dash for the door before I can get it
closed. She's pretty fast. It's especially difficult when two of us come
home at once since the door is open for a slightly longer period of time. I
normally keep her harness on at all times for that very reason. It's easier
to catch her when she dashes out the door, and it's easier to get her leash
on than her harness. Sometimes, though, I take it off to give her a break
from it and give her a full brushing. That time she dashed up the tree was
one of the times I hadn't put her harness back on.

rona

Debbie
September 24th 03, 07:17 PM
I don't think a cat is gonna get killed by a coyote in Britain. duh

> If that were true of all cats, none would die from poison, bad
people,
> dog attacks, coyotes, cars, etc...
>
> If the cat stays in your garden, she's pretty darn safe, though,
> assuming you don't have any local predators who can get in. When I
get a
> house, I *will* find a way to cat-proof the yard if it kills me. :)
>
> (just saw yet another dead cat by the side of the road this
morning -
> *sigh*)

> ~kaeli~
> Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
> at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
> it leaves streaks.
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Debbie
September 24th 03, 07:17 PM
I don't think a cat is gonna get killed by a coyote in Britain. duh

> If that were true of all cats, none would die from poison, bad
people,
> dog attacks, coyotes, cars, etc...
>
> If the cat stays in your garden, she's pretty darn safe, though,
> assuming you don't have any local predators who can get in. When I
get a
> house, I *will* find a way to cat-proof the yard if it kills me. :)
>
> (just saw yet another dead cat by the side of the road this
morning -
> *sigh*)

> ~kaeli~
> Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
> at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
> it leaves streaks.
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Debbie
September 24th 03, 07:17 PM
I don't think a cat is gonna get killed by a coyote in Britain. duh

> If that were true of all cats, none would die from poison, bad
people,
> dog attacks, coyotes, cars, etc...
>
> If the cat stays in your garden, she's pretty darn safe, though,
> assuming you don't have any local predators who can get in. When I
get a
> house, I *will* find a way to cat-proof the yard if it kills me. :)
>
> (just saw yet another dead cat by the side of the road this
morning -
> *sigh*)

> ~kaeli~
> Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
> at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
> it leaves streaks.
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
> http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Debbie
September 24th 03, 07:19 PM
"Miner At The Dial-A-View" > wrote in
message .com...
> Yes, I'm in the UK, and it's normal practise to let your cat
outdoors and
> I don't really see any problem with it. I always have done, and
probably
> always will.

I let mine out . They're happy healthy cats .

> I don't live in a city, there aren't any busy roads nearby and when
she
> does go out she rarely goes further than the back garden. Cats
aren't
> stupid, they can recognise danger when they see it, and I think my
cat
> would be mightily annoyed if we refused to let her outside.

So would mine , they don't need anyone to look out for them , they
take care of themselves.

> --
> Andrew
> NP / Nothing / Nobody
> www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
> "lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Debbie
September 24th 03, 07:19 PM
"Miner At The Dial-A-View" > wrote in
message .com...
> Yes, I'm in the UK, and it's normal practise to let your cat
outdoors and
> I don't really see any problem with it. I always have done, and
probably
> always will.

I let mine out . They're happy healthy cats .

> I don't live in a city, there aren't any busy roads nearby and when
she
> does go out she rarely goes further than the back garden. Cats
aren't
> stupid, they can recognise danger when they see it, and I think my
cat
> would be mightily annoyed if we refused to let her outside.

So would mine , they don't need anyone to look out for them , they
take care of themselves.

> --
> Andrew
> NP / Nothing / Nobody
> www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
> "lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

Debbie
September 24th 03, 07:19 PM
"Miner At The Dial-A-View" > wrote in
message .com...
> Yes, I'm in the UK, and it's normal practise to let your cat
outdoors and
> I don't really see any problem with it. I always have done, and
probably
> always will.

I let mine out . They're happy healthy cats .

> I don't live in a city, there aren't any busy roads nearby and when
she
> does go out she rarely goes further than the back garden. Cats
aren't
> stupid, they can recognise danger when they see it, and I think my
cat
> would be mightily annoyed if we refused to let her outside.

So would mine , they don't need anyone to look out for them , they
take care of themselves.

> --
> Andrew
> NP / Nothing / Nobody
> www.cageofmonkeys.co.uk
> "lol wtf am I doing in someones sig?" - funnyface

PawsForThought
September 25th 03, 12:19 AM
>From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"

>No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home, I open
>the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get inside, but sometimes
>even when shooed away, she'll make a dash for the door before I can get it
>closed. She's pretty fast. It's especially difficult when two of us come
>home at once since the door is open for a slightly longer period of time.

Have you ever tried keeping a can of pennies outside, and then you can just
shake it before you come in to scare kitty away from the door.
________

PawsForThought
September 25th 03, 12:19 AM
>From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"

>No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home, I open
>the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get inside, but sometimes
>even when shooed away, she'll make a dash for the door before I can get it
>closed. She's pretty fast. It's especially difficult when two of us come
>home at once since the door is open for a slightly longer period of time.

Have you ever tried keeping a can of pennies outside, and then you can just
shake it before you come in to scare kitty away from the door.
________

PawsForThought
September 25th 03, 12:19 AM
>From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"

>No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home, I open
>the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get inside, but sometimes
>even when shooed away, she'll make a dash for the door before I can get it
>closed. She's pretty fast. It's especially difficult when two of us come
>home at once since the door is open for a slightly longer period of time.

Have you ever tried keeping a can of pennies outside, and then you can just
shake it before you come in to scare kitty away from the door.
________

Cheryl
September 25th 03, 02:25 AM
In ,
PawsForThought > composed with style:
>> From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
>
>> No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home,
>> I open the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get
>> inside, but sometimes even when shooed away, she'll make a dash
>> for the door before I can get it closed. She's pretty fast. It's
>> especially difficult when two of us come home at once since the
>> door is open for a slightly longer period of time.
>
> Have you ever tried keeping a can of pennies outside, and then you
> can just shake it before you come in to scare kitty away from the
> door. ________

When I had problems with one that liked to try to run out when I came
home I rang the doorbell first before coming in. Worked every time.

Cheryl
September 25th 03, 02:25 AM
In ,
PawsForThought > composed with style:
>> From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
>
>> No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home,
>> I open the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get
>> inside, but sometimes even when shooed away, she'll make a dash
>> for the door before I can get it closed. She's pretty fast. It's
>> especially difficult when two of us come home at once since the
>> door is open for a slightly longer period of time.
>
> Have you ever tried keeping a can of pennies outside, and then you
> can just shake it before you come in to scare kitty away from the
> door. ________

When I had problems with one that liked to try to run out when I came
home I rang the doorbell first before coming in. Worked every time.

Cheryl
September 25th 03, 02:25 AM
In ,
PawsForThought > composed with style:
>> From: "Rona Yuthasastrakosol"
>
>> No, she dashed out as soon as I opened the door. When I get home,
>> I open the door just a crack and shoo her away so I can get
>> inside, but sometimes even when shooed away, she'll make a dash
>> for the door before I can get it closed. She's pretty fast. It's
>> especially difficult when two of us come home at once since the
>> door is open for a slightly longer period of time.
>
> Have you ever tried keeping a can of pennies outside, and then you
> can just shake it before you come in to scare kitty away from the
> door. ________

When I had problems with one that liked to try to run out when I came
home I rang the doorbell first before coming in. Worked every time.

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 25th 03, 04:36 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> When I had problems with one that liked to try to run out when I came
> home I rang the doorbell first before coming in. Worked every time.

For some reason, that attracts my cat to the door :-). My mother usually
rings the doorbell when she comes home, so Kitty knows it's a sign that the
door will open. I always thought she was afraid of cars because when
outside, car sounds make her hide behind me. However, she seems to know our
car because when we get home, she's always waiting by the door. I just open
it a crack and she sticks her nose out. Sometimes I open the door a crack,
then shut it really quickly so it makes a loud thud. That will sometimes
scare her away, but is beginning to work less often, and I can't do it when
she has already stuck her nose or paw in the crack. The only sound I know
she is afraid of is that of a lawnmower, but that one isn't really
practical. I'll try the can of pennies, as Lauren suggested (thanks
Lauren!). Hopefully that will work for a few weeks (or at least until the
first snowfall, after which she won't want to go outside anymore!).

On the plus side of having a cat that loves to go outside, when I shake her
leash she runs to the door and sits so I can put it on her. Then when she
comes inside, she'll sit just inside the door until I take her leash off.
Who says cats can't be trained :-)?

Thanks for the suggestion! If I can't find anything else that works, maybe
we'll change our doorbell to a louder and scarier (to her) sound. That
might finally work!

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol
September 25th 03, 04:36 AM

"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> When I had problems with one that liked to try to run out when I came
> home I rang the doorbell first before coming in. Worked every time.

For some reason, that attracts my cat to the door :-). My mother usually
rings the doorbell when she comes home, so Kitty knows it's a sign that the
door will open. I always thought she was afraid of cars because when
outside, car sounds make her hide behind me. However, she seems to know our
car because when we get home, she's always waiting by the door. I just open
it a crack and she sticks her nose out. Sometimes I open the door a crack,
then shut it really quickly so it makes a loud thud. That will sometimes
scare her away, but is beginning to work less often, and I can't do it when
she has already stuck her nose or paw in the crack. The only sound I know
she is afraid of is that of a lawnmower, but that one isn't really
practical. I'll try the can of pennies, as Lauren suggested (thanks
Lauren!). Hopefully that will work for a few weeks (or at least until the
first snowfall, after which she won't want to go outside anymore!).

On the plus side of having a cat that loves to go outside, when I shake her
leash she runs to the door and sits so I can put it on her. Then when she
comes inside, she'll sit just inside the door until I take her leash off.
Who says cats can't be trained :-)?

Thanks for the suggestion! If I can't find anything else that works, maybe
we'll change our doorbell to a louder and scarier (to her) sound. That
might finally work!

rona

k conover
September 27th 03, 04:30 AM
I bark and growl a little like a dog....it works :-)
Kirsten