PDA

View Full Version : Help cat peeing in linen basket!

Rebecca B
September 24th 03, 10:46 AM
Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so couldn't
tell him that it was wrong.

But this morning, I actually saw him peeing in the basket, which I shouted
'No' to him and he stopped.

We're not sure if its because he thinks that its a litter tray (even though
it was literally full with a bag of rubbish).

Has anyone had problems like this ? We don't mind so much as at least he's
not peeing on the carpet, and that the basket can be disinfected afterwards.

Becky

Alison
September 24th 03, 01:25 PM
Hi ,
Take your cat to the vet as soon as poss , he could had a urinary
tract infection . Cats with this pee on smooth surfaces like plastic
bags and baths .

--
Alison

"Rebecca B" > wrote in message
> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He
had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>

> But this morning, I actually saw him peeing in the basket, which I
shouted
> 'No' to him and he stopped.
>

> We're not sure if its because he thinks that its a litter tray (even
though
> it was literally full with a bag of rubbish).
>

> Has anyone had problems like this ? We don't mind so much as at
least he's
> not peeing on the carpet, and that the basket can be disinfected
afterwards.

> Becky

Alison Perera
September 24th 03, 01:43 PM
In article >,
"Rebecca B" > wrote:

> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>

> But this morning, I actually saw him peeing in the basket, which I shouted
> 'No' to him and he stopped.
>

> We're not sure if its because he thinks that its a litter tray (even though
> it was literally full with a bag of rubbish).
>

> Has anyone had problems like this ? We don't mind so much as at least he's
> not peeing on the carpet, and that the basket can be disinfected afterwards.

Definite vet check time.

My Otis used to pee in empty litter boxes only when he was having
urinary troubles.

When it got really bad and he was partially blocked, he went around
trying to pee everywhere he went, crying all the time. :(

Male cats seem prone to urinary tract troubles, and it's exacerbated by
dry food and stress. If it goes on long enough they can become blocked
and the urine toxins build up which can be deadly within a day or two.

To the vet! At the same time research Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease
and Idiopathic Cystitis.

-Alison in OH

Alison Perera
September 24th 03, 01:43 PM

"Rebecca B" > wrote:

> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>

> But this morning, I actually saw him peeing in the basket, which I shouted
> 'No' to him and he stopped.
>

> We're not sure if its because he thinks that its a litter tray (even though
> it was literally full with a bag of rubbish).
>

> Has anyone had problems like this ? We don't mind so much as at least he's
> not peeing on the carpet, and that the basket can be disinfected afterwards.

Definite vet check time.

My Otis used to pee in empty litter boxes only when he was having
urinary troubles.

When it got really bad and he was partially blocked, he went around
trying to pee everywhere he went, crying all the time. :(

Male cats seem prone to urinary tract troubles, and it's exacerbated by
dry food and stress. If it goes on long enough they can become blocked
and the urine toxins build up which can be deadly within a day or two.

To the vet! At the same time research Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease
and Idiopathic Cystitis.

-Alison in OH

Gail
September 24th 03, 02:22 PM
Have him checked by a vet for a urinary tract infection.
Gail

"Rebecca B" > wrote in message
> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>

> But this morning, I actually saw him peeing in the basket, which I shouted
> 'No' to him and he stopped.
>

> We're not sure if its because he thinks that its a litter tray (even
though
> it was literally full with a bag of rubbish).
>

> Has anyone had problems like this ? We don't mind so much as at least he's
> not peeing on the carpet, and that the basket can be disinfected
afterwards.

> Becky

MaryL
September 24th 03, 03:00 PM
"Rebecca B" > wrote in message
> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>
> Becky

I think this is fairly common. As the others have said, first take him to a
vet to rule out UTI. If there is no problem there ... it may be that the
detergent is an attractant, especially if this is the only place (outside of
the litter box) where urination occurs. If so, it would be a good idea to
place the laundry basket someplace that the cat can't reach (possibly in a
closet).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

MaryL
September 24th 03, 03:00 PM

"Rebecca B" > wrote in message
> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>
> Becky

I think this is fairly common. As the others have said, first take him to a
vet to rule out UTI. If there is no problem there ... it may be that the
detergent is an attractant, especially if this is the only place (outside of
the litter box) where urination occurs. If so, it would be a good idea to
place the laundry basket someplace that the cat can't reach (possibly in a
closet).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Rebecca B
September 24th 03, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your responses.

Are there any other symptoms to when a cat has a urinary tract infection as
he seems fine, happy, paying and eating and drinking as usual.

He's only done this twice and no-where else in the house, apart from the
linen basket.

We have since thought of another reason why he might suddenly be doing it,
in the fact that a few weeks ago, we moved his litter tray (from roughly
where the linen basket has been the 2 times he's peed in it) to the other
side of the room. Maybe he thinks that it's a huge litter tray???

Becky

"Rebecca B" > wrote in message
> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>

> But this morning, I actually saw him peeing in the basket, which I shouted
> 'No' to him and he stopped.
>

> We're not sure if its because he thinks that its a litter tray (even
though
> it was literally full with a bag of rubbish).
>

> Has anyone had problems like this ? We don't mind so much as at least he's
> not peeing on the carpet, and that the basket can be disinfected
afterwards.

> Becky

Bill
September 24th 03, 05:11 PM
>"MaryL" > wrote in message
>
> "Rebecca B" > wrote in message
> > Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had
done
> > this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
> couldn't
> > tell him that it was wrong.
> >
> > Becky
> >

> I think this is fairly common. As the others have said, first take him to
> vet to rule out UTI. If there is no problem there ... it may be that the
> detergent is an attractant, especially if this is the only place (outside
of
> the litter box) where urination occurs. If so, it would be a good idea to
> place the laundry basket someplace that the cat can't reach (possibly in a
> closet).
>
> MaryL
> (take out the litter to reply)
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
> integration into our household):
> Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
> Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

And if you're cleaning the laundry basket with strong-smelling disinfectant
or household cleaners, this could also be causing the cat to pee in the
basket again. Cats usually find the smell of cleaners and disinfectants
very disagreeable, and this will cause them to mark, pee, or poop in the
area to cover the smell.

Bill

Bill
September 24th 03, 05:11 PM
> [...]

of
> the litter box) where urination occurs. If so, it would be a good idea to
> place the laundry basket someplace that the cat can't reach (possibly in a
> closet).
>
> MaryL
> (take out the litter to reply)
>
> Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
> integration into our household):
> Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
> Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

And if you're cleaning the laundry basket with strong-smelling disinfectant
or household cleaners, this could also be causing the cat to pee in the
basket again. Cats usually find the smell of cleaners and disinfectants
very disagreeable, and this will cause them to mark, pee, or poop in the

Cathy Friedmann
September 24th 03, 09:27 PM
Take said cat to the vet to have him examined for a possible UTI. My male
cat peed on the laundry & on the cat bed's pillow a couple of years ago -
not his usual behavior, at all. I took him to the vet; lo & behold, a UTI.
He needed antibiotics - a couple of rounds - to zap the infection.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"Rebecca B" > wrote in message
> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had done
> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
couldn't
> tell him that it was wrong.
>

> But this morning, I actually saw him peeing in the basket, which I shouted
> 'No' to him and he stopped.
>

> We're not sure if its because he thinks that its a litter tray (even
though
> it was literally full with a bag of rubbish).
>

> Has anyone had problems like this ? We don't mind so much as at least he's
> not peeing on the carpet, and that the basket can be disinfected
afterwards.

> Becky

Karen
September 25th 03, 02:01 AM
in article , Bill at
wrote on 9/24/03 11:11 AM:

>> "MaryL" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Rebecca B" > wrote in message
>>> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had
> done
>>> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
>> couldn't
>>> tell him that it was wrong.
>>>
>>> Becky
>>>

>> I think this is fairly common. As the others have said, first take him to
>> vet to rule out UTI. If there is no problem there ... it may be that the
>> detergent is an attractant, especially if this is the only place (outside
> of
>> the litter box) where urination occurs. If so, it would be a good idea to
>> place the laundry basket someplace that the cat can't reach (possibly in a
>> closet).
>>
>> MaryL
>> (take out the litter to reply)
>>
>> Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
>> integration into our household):
>> Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
>> Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56
>>

> And if you're cleaning the laundry basket with strong-smelling disinfectant
> or household cleaners, this could also be causing the cat to pee in the
> basket again. Cats usually find the smell of cleaners and disinfectants
> very disagreeable, and this will cause them to mark, pee, or poop in the
> area to cover the smell.
>
> Bill

And if it isn't a UTI, it may be that plastic has a particular smell that
attracts him. Some plastic does.

Karen

Karen
September 25th 03, 02:01 AM
in article , Bill at

wrote on 9/24/03 11:11 AM:

>> "MaryL" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Rebecca B" > wrote in message
>>> Caught my cat peeing in our plastic linen basket this morning. He had
> done
>>> this once before, which we hadn't seen him doing it at the time, so
>> couldn't
>>> tell him that it was wrong.
>>>
>>> Becky
>>>

>> I think this is fairly common. As the others have said, first take him to
>> vet to rule out UTI. If there is no problem there ... it may be that the
>> detergent is an attractant, especially if this is the only place (outside
> of
>> the litter box) where urination occurs. If so, it would be a good idea to
>> place the laundry basket someplace that the cat can't reach (possibly in a
>> closet).
>>
>> MaryL
>> (take out the litter to reply)
>>
>> Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
>> integration into our household):
>> Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
>> Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56
>>

> And if you're cleaning the laundry basket with strong-smelling disinfectant
> or household cleaners, this could also be causing the cat to pee in the
> basket again. Cats usually find the smell of cleaners and disinfectants
> very disagreeable, and this will cause them to mark, pee, or poop in the
> area to cover the smell.
>
> Bill

And if it isn't a UTI, it may be that plastic has a particular smell that
attracts him. Some plastic does.

Karen

Alison
September 25th 03, 09:47 AM
Hi ,
There might be blood in the urine. My cat has just had another bout .
She is always fine with eating and drinking but becomes more restless
due to the discomfort.
Alison

--
Alison