PDA

View Full Version : Neutering and its effects

Rachel
September 27th 03, 12:20 PM
Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question is
how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
with the neutering.

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

PawsForThought
September 27th 03, 01:19 PM
>From: "Rachel"

>My question is
>how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
>personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
>to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
>and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
>that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
>with the neutering.

My boy was neutered at 5 1/2 months. I honestly don't recall seeing a
noticeable personality change in him. He's now 3 1/2 years old and he's still
extremely active. He has become a lap cat though. I think it's supposed to
take a few weeks until their hormones level out, so to speak. Both of my cats
shake their tails but have never sprayed.

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
September 27th 03, 01:19 PM
>From: "Rachel"

>My question is
>how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
>personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
>to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
>and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
>that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
>with the neutering.

My boy was neutered at 5 1/2 months. I honestly don't recall seeing a
noticeable personality change in him. He's now 3 1/2 years old and he's still
extremely active. He has become a lap cat though. I think it's supposed to
take a few weeks until their hormones level out, so to speak. Both of my cats
shake their tails but have never sprayed.

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
September 27th 03, 01:19 PM
>From: "Rachel"

>My question is
>how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
>personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
>to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
>and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
>that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
>with the neutering.

My boy was neutered at 5 1/2 months. I honestly don't recall seeing a
noticeable personality change in him. He's now 3 1/2 years old and he's still
extremely active. He has become a lap cat though. I think it's supposed to
take a few weeks until their hormones level out, so to speak. Both of my cats
shake their tails but have never sprayed.

Lauren
________

MaryL
September 27th 03, 02:42 PM
"Rachel" > wrote in message
> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question
is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't
seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am
hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rachel

I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were spayed or
neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with time --
but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary greatly
with different cats. What you describe as "mock spraying" may be what many
call "the happy shake." If so, your cat is not trying to spray. That, too,
varies with different cats.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

MaryL
September 27th 03, 02:42 PM

"Rachel" > wrote in message
> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question
is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't
seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am
hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rachel

I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were spayed or
neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with time --
but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary greatly
with different cats. What you describe as "mock spraying" may be what many
call "the happy shake." If so, your cat is not trying to spray. That, too,
varies with different cats.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Philip ®
September 27th 03, 04:28 PM
In ,
Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
> "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
> see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
> changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
> thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
> to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
> coupled with the neutering.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rachel

What's a mock?
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
September 27th 03, 04:28 PM
In ,
PawsForThought > being of bellicose mind
posted:
> > From: "Rachel"
>
> > My question is
> > how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the
> > cats personality? I think there are some changes already such as
> > he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started
> > spraying but would back up and pretend to) as much, also I think
> > he seems a little calmer. I am hoping that he becomes a little
> > more affectionate with time as he matures coupled with the
> > neutering.
>
> My boy was neutered at 5 1/2 months. I honestly don't recall
> seeing a noticeable personality change in him. He's now 3 1/2
> years old and he's still extremely active. He has become a lap
> cat though. I think it's supposed to take a few weeks until their
> hormones level out, so to speak. Both of my cats shake their
> tails but have never sprayed.
>
> Lauren

Ditto. With "Rusty" (abandoned tabby), I waited until he first
started that unmistakable yowling to get outside and mate. That was
at age 8-9 months. After his "ordeal" he kept looking at me oddly
for a couple of months. New behavior. He got over it and has been a
great house cat ever since. But he does do the stressed tail shaking
thing once in a while though no urine has ever been expressed. No
spraying in the house ever with him in 13 1/2 yrs. Urinating is just
a function... done in the litter box.
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
September 27th 03, 04:28 PM
In ,
Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
> "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
> see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
> changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
> thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
> to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
> coupled with the neutering.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rachel

What's a mock?
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
September 27th 03, 04:28 PM
In ,
Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
> "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
> see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
> changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
> thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
> to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
> coupled with the neutering.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Rachel

What's a mock?
--

> [...]

> My boy was neutered at 5 1/2 months. I honestly don't recall
> seeing a noticeable personality change in him. He's now 3 1/2
> years old and he's still extremely active. He has become a lap
> cat though. I think it's supposed to take a few weeks until their
> hormones level out, so to speak. Both of my cats shake their
> tails but have never sprayed.
>
> Lauren

Ditto. With "Rusty" (abandoned tabby), I waited until he first
started that unmistakable yowling to get outside and mate. That was
at age 8-9 months. After his "ordeal" he kept looking at me oddly
for a couple of months. New behavior. He got over it and has been a
great house cat ever since. But he does do the stressed tail shaking
thing once in a while though no urine has ever been expressed. No
spraying in the house ever with him in 13 1/2 yrs. Urinating is just

~*SooZy*~
September 27th 03, 05:05 PM

> "Rachel" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything
went
> > great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question
> is
> > how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> > personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't
> seem
> > to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
> up
> > and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am
> hoping
> > that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
coupled
> > with the neutering.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Rachel
> >

> I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were spayed or
> neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with time --
> but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary
greatly
> with different cats. What you describe as "mock spraying" may be what
many
> call "the happy shake." If so, your cat is not trying to spray. That,
too,
> varies with different cats.
>
> MaryL

me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and then
you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he would be
desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.

~*SooZy*~
September 27th 03, 05:05 PM

> [...]

> > with the neutering.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Rachel
> >

> I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were spayed or
> neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with time --
> but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary
greatly
> with different cats. What you describe as "mock spraying" may be what
many
> call "the happy shake." If so, your cat is not trying to spray. That,
too,
> varies with different cats.
>
> MaryL

me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and then
you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he would be
desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.

September 27th 03, 05:36 PM
Philip ® wrote:
> In ,
> Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
>> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
>> everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
>> "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
>> see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
>> changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
>> thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
>> to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
>> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
>> coupled with the neutering.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Rachel
>
> What's a mock?

It can mean several things from contempt and ridicule to imitation or
practice purposes. I was meaning it in an imitation kind of way.

Rachel
September 27th 03, 05:36 PM

Philip ® wrote:
> In ,
> Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
>> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
>> everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
>> "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
>> see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
>> changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
>> thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
>> to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
>> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
>> coupled with the neutering.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Rachel
>
> What's a mock?

It can mean several things from contempt and ridicule to imitation or
practice purposes. I was meaning it in an imitation kind of way.

Philip ®
September 27th 03, 05:39 PM
In ,
~*SooZy*~ > being of bellicose mind
posted:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rachel" > wrote in message
> > > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> > > everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from
> > > his "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you
> > > might see a difference in the cats personality? I think there
> > > are some changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the
> > > mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
> > > up and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little
> > > calmer. I am hoping that he becomes a little more affectionate
> > > with time as he matures coupled with the neutering.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Rachel
> > >

> > I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were
> > spayed or neutered. As you said, your cat may become more
> > affectionate with time -- but this is not something to expect
> > immediately, and it it will vary greatly with different cats.
> > What you describe as "mock spraying" may be what many call "the
> > happy shake." If so, your cat is not trying to spray. That,
> > too, varies with different cats.
> >
> > MaryL
>
> me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for
> stud and then you had him neutered you would notice the change in
> him, because he would be desperate for a female anymore so would
> become calmer.

Hahahhaha. Not so with a seal point Siamese I had long ago. Had him
neutered at 3yrs (don't ask why.... wife thing) and the only thing
that changed was his "focus" Anything that was hairy became the
object of his affections. This included blankets with fringe on the
ends, parkas with furry collars, even throw pillows with
fringe/tassels. It got pretty funny for awhile there! Then he'd get
an erection and go to licking himself in front of guests. The wife
really had a problem with this behavior. LOL
--

> [...]

> > happy shake." If so, your cat is not trying to spray. That,
> > too, varies with different cats.
> >
> > MaryL
>
> me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for
> stud and then you had him neutered you would notice the change in
> him, because he would be desperate for a female anymore so would
> become calmer.

Hahahhaha. Not so with a seal point Siamese I had long ago. Had him
neutered at 3yrs (don't ask why.... wife thing) and the only thing
that changed was his "focus" Anything that was hairy became the
object of his affections. This included blankets with fringe on the
ends, parkas with furry collars, even throw pillows with
fringe/tassels. It got pretty funny for awhile there! Then he'd get
an erection and go to licking himself in front of guests. The wife
really had a problem with this behavior. LOL

September 27th 03, 05:43 PM
"Philip ®" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In ,
> Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> > everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
> > "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
> > see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
> > changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
> > thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
> > to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> > that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
> > coupled with the neutering.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Rachel
>
> What's a mock?
> --
>
> ~~Philip
could it be standing stamping his feet, bottom up against the wall, tail
shaking with no spray coming out ;-)

~*SooZy*~
September 27th 03, 05:43 PM
"Philip ®" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In ,
> Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> > everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
> > "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
> > see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
> > changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
> > thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
> > to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> > that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
> > coupled with the neutering.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Rachel
>
> What's a mock?
> --
>
> ~~Philip
could it be standing stamping his feet, bottom up against the wall, tail
shaking with no spray coming out ;-)

~*SooZy*~
September 27th 03, 05:43 PM
"Philip ®" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> In ,
> Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> > everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from his
> > "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you might
> > see a difference in the cats personality? I think there are some
> > changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the mock spraying
> > thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up and pretend
> > to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> > that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures
> > coupled with the neutering.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Rachel
>
> What's a mock?
> --
>
> ~~Philip
could it be standing stamping his feet, bottom up against the wall, tail
shaking with no spray coming out ;-)

MaryL
September 27th 03, 05:49 PM
"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rachel" > wrote in message
> > > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything
> went
> > > great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My
question
> > is
> > > how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> > > personality? > > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Rachel
> > >

> > I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were spayed
or
> > neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with
time --
> > but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary
> greatly
> > with different cats.
> >
> > MaryL
>
> me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and
then
> you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he would
be
> desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.

That is quite possible. I didn't think of that because all of mine were
neutered at a few months of age. All have been wonderfully affectionate
cats.

MaryL

MaryL
September 27th 03, 05:49 PM

"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rachel" > wrote in message
> > > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything
> went
> > > great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My
question
> > is
> > > how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> > > personality? > > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Rachel
> > >

> > I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were spayed
or
> > neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with
time --
> > but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary
> greatly
> > with different cats.
> >
> > MaryL
>
> me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and
then
> you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he would
be
> desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.

That is quite possible. I didn't think of that because all of mine were
neutered at a few months of age. All have been wonderfully affectionate
cats.

MaryL

Sandra Loosemore
September 27th 03, 05:59 PM
"Rachel" > writes:

> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.

When I had my guy Nerf "fixed" (he was also about 5 months), I didn't
really notice any change in his personality or behavior towards me,
but what I did see was an immediate shift in his relationship with my
older cat Slinky (a spayed female). Pre-neutering, Nerf was obviously
trying to take over as top cat in my household, and Slinky was acting
rather intimidated by him. But as soon as I brought Nerf home from
the vet after being neutered, I noticed that Slinky started
re-asserting herself again and letting Nerf know that she was still
the #1 cat.

-Sandra

Sandra Loosemore
September 27th 03, 05:59 PM

"Rachel" > writes:

> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.

When I had my guy Nerf "fixed" (he was also about 5 months), I didn't
really notice any change in his personality or behavior towards me,
but what I did see was an immediate shift in his relationship with my
older cat Slinky (a spayed female). Pre-neutering, Nerf was obviously
trying to take over as top cat in my household, and Slinky was acting
rather intimidated by him. But as soon as I brought Nerf home from
the vet after being neutered, I noticed that Slinky started
re-asserting herself again and letting Nerf know that she was still
the #1 cat.

-Sandra

Elizabeth Blake
September 27th 03, 06:16 PM
"Rachel" > wrote in message
> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question
is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't
seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am
hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.

My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.

Liz

Elizabeth Blake
September 27th 03, 06:16 PM

"Rachel" > wrote in message
> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question
is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't
seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am
hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.

My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.

Liz

m. L. Briggs
September 27th 03, 09:41 PM
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:16:18 GMT, "Elizabeth Blake"
> wrote:

>"Rachel" > wrote in message
>> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
>> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question
>is
>> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
>> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't
>seem
>> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
>up
>> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am
>hoping
>> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
>> with the neutering.
>>
>My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
>I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
>be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
>affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
>His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
>does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
>looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
>Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
>matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
>but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
>
>Liz

He still has the urge, but not the ability.

> [...]

>> with the neutering.
>>
>My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
>I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
>be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
>affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
>His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
>does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
>looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
>Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
>matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
>but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
>
>Liz

He still has the urge, but not the ability.

Priscilla Ballou
September 27th 03, 10:19 PM
In article >,
m. L. Briggs > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:16:18 GMT, "Elizabeth Blake"
> > wrote:

> >My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
> >I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
> >be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
> >affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
> >His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
> >does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
> >looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
> >Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
> >matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
> >but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
> >
> >Liz
> >
> He still has the urge, but not the ability.

That's also a dominance posture. Sebbie does it to Benjie all the time.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Priscilla Ballou
September 27th 03, 10:19 PM

m. L. Briggs > wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:16:18 GMT, "Elizabeth Blake"
> > wrote:

> >My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
> >I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
> >be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
> >affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
> >His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
> >does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
> >looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
> >Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
> >matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
> >but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
> >
> >Liz
> >
> He still has the urge, but not the ability.

That's also a dominance posture. Sebbie does it to Benjie all the time.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

~*SooZy*~
September 27th 03, 11:00 PM

> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message

> > went
> question
> > > is

> > > I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were
spayed
> or
> > > neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with
> time --
> > > but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary
> > greatly
> > > with different cats.
> > >
> > > MaryL
> >
> > me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and
> then
> > you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he
would
> be
> > desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.
> >

> That is quite possible. I didn't think of that because all of mine were
> neutered at a few months of age. All have been wonderfully affectionate
> cats.
>
> MaryL

well I am only guessing :-) I know getting dogs neutered can calm them down,
not sure with cats though!

~*SooZy*~
September 27th 03, 11:00 PM

> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message

> > went
> question
> > > is

> > > I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were
spayed
> or
> > > neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with
> time --
> > > but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary
> > greatly
> > > with different cats.
> > >
> > > MaryL
> >
> > me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and
> then
> > you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he
would
> be
> > desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.
> >

> That is quite possible. I didn't think of that because all of mine were
> neutered at a few months of age. All have been wonderfully affectionate
> cats.
>
> MaryL

well I am only guessing :-) I know getting dogs neutered can calm them down,
not sure with cats though!

~*SooZy*~
September 27th 03, 11:00 PM

> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message

> > went
> question
> > > is

> > > I never noticed any personality change at all after my cats were
spayed
> or
> > > neutered. As you said, your cat may become more affectionate with
> time --
> > > but this is not something to expect immediately, and it it will vary
> > greatly
> > > with different cats.
> > >
> > > MaryL
> >
> > me neither in any of mine, But I think if you had cat used for stud and
> then
> > you had him neutered you would notice the change in him, because he
would
> be
> > desperate for a female anymore so would become calmer.
> >

> That is quite possible. I didn't think of that because all of mine were
> neutered at a few months of age. All have been wonderfully affectionate
> cats.
>
> MaryL

well I am only guessing :-) I know getting dogs neutered can calm them down,
not sure with cats though!

Ollie Burger
September 27th 03, 11:35 PM
Elizabeth Blake > wrote in message
hlink.net...

> "Rachel" > wrote in message
> > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> > great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question
> is
> > how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> > personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't
> seem
> > to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
> up
> > and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am
> hoping
> > that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> > with the neutering.
> >
> My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the street, so
> I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet visit she guessed him to
> be around 6 months old, and he was neutered a few weeks later. He was super
> affectionate when I found him and he stayed that way after the operation.
> His personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old, and he
> does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed female. To me it
> looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her back, and bites her neck.
> Tiger does not appreciate this and usually wriggles out from under him in a
> matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
> but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
>
> Liz

I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

In regards to personality changes, I have a 4 yr old
longhair golden tabby male named Flippy who was
the most paranoid cat I have ever known. As a
kitten he'd avoid his litter-mates, cower in a corner,
or scuttle into a hiding place with even the slightest
provocation. He was 2 yrs old before he was
neutered and had his shots (only after the Vet gave
me a tranquilizer to give to him).

After his ordeal, he became quite affectionate and
friendly -- he's still a little bit skitterish though, but
nothing like before.

OB

> [...]

> matter of seconds. I never noticed him doing that before he was neutered,
> but in those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
>
> Liz

I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

In regards to personality changes, I have a 4 yr old
longhair golden tabby male named Flippy who was
the most paranoid cat I have ever known. As a
kitten he'd avoid his litter-mates, cower in a corner,
or scuttle into a hiding place with even the slightest
provocation. He was 2 yrs old before he was
neutered and had his shots (only after the Vet gave
me a tranquilizer to give to him).

After his ordeal, he became quite affectionate and
friendly -- he's still a little bit skitterish though, but

September 28th 03, 12:43 AM
"Ollie Burger" > writes:

> I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P

-Sandra

Sandra Loosemore
September 28th 03, 12:43 AM

"Ollie Burger" > writes:

> I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P

-Sandra

Priscilla Ballou
September 28th 03, 12:58 AM
In article >,
Sandra Loosemore > wrote:

> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P

With my cats, a friendly ear-washing often turns into a game of "bite
your ear" and a fun tussle/chase.

BTW, there are numerous species in which one can observe homosexual
behavior. I don't know if cats are among them. Dominance mounting is
not, however, sexual except in its symbolism.

Priscilla
--

Sandra Loosemore > wrote:

> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P

With my cats, a friendly ear-washing often turns into a game of "bite
your ear" and a fun tussle/chase.

BTW, there are numerous species in which one can observe homosexual
behavior. I don't know if cats are among them. Dominance mounting is
not, however, sexual except in its symbolism.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

William Hamblen
September 28th 03, 02:59 AM
On 2003-09-27, Rachel > wrote:

> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.

I think neutering doesn't affect personality that much. I've had intact
toms that were affectionate and castrated toms that were aloof. The
main thing is that they don't roam and fight as much if they are indoor/
outdoor cats or spray as much if they are indoor cats. The toms I've had
that had free access to the outdoors never sprayed in the house, intact
or not. The urine from a castrated tom doesn't smell as bad as that
from an intact tom, so even when they do spray it isn't quite as awful.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.

William Hamblen
September 28th 03, 02:59 AM

On 2003-09-27, Rachel > wrote:

> Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
> great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question is
> how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
> personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
> to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
> and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
> that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
> with the neutering.

I think neutering doesn't affect personality that much. I've had intact
toms that were affectionate and castrated toms that were aloof. The
main thing is that they don't roam and fight as much if they are indoor/
outdoor cats or spray as much if they are indoor cats. The toms I've had
that had free access to the outdoors never sprayed in the house, intact
or not. The urine from a castrated tom doesn't smell as bad as that
from an intact tom, so even when they do spray it isn't quite as awful.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.

Philip ®
September 28th 03, 04:36 AM
In ,
~*SooZy*~ > being of bellicose mind
posted:
> "Philip ®" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > In ,
> > Rachel > being of bellicose mind posted:
> > > Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
> > > everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from
> > > his "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you
> > > might see a difference in the cats personality? I think there
> > > are some changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the
> > > mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
> > > up and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little
> > > calmer. I am hoping that he becomes a little more affectionate
> > > with time as he matures coupled with the neutering.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Rachel
> >
> > What's a mock?
> > --
> >
> > ~~Philip
> could it be standing stamping his feet, bottom up against the
> wall, tail shaking with no spray coming out ;-)

I was joking when I asked what a "mock" was.

Rusty does that arched back, rubbing a leg or furniture, and then
stick his tail straight up and pretend he's about to spray ... all
with a silly smirk on his puss.
--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
September 28th 03, 04:36 AM
In ,
Ollie Burger > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Elizabeth Blake > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the
> > street, so I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet
> > visit she guessed him to be around 6 months old, and he was
> > neutered a few weeks later. He was super affectionate when I
> > found him and he stayed that way after the operation. His
> > personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old,
> > and he does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed
> > female. To me it looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her
> > back, and bites her neck. Tiger does not appreciate this and
> > usually wriggles out from under him in a matter of seconds. I
> > never noticed him doing that before he was neutered, but in
> > those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
> >
> > Liz
> >

> I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>snip<
>OB

That's all the world needs now is fudge packing felines.

--

> [...]

> > found him and he stayed that way after the operation. His
> > personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old,
> > and he does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed
> > female. To me it looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her
> > back, and bites her neck. Tiger does not appreciate this and
> > usually wriggles out from under him in a matter of seconds. I
> > never noticed him doing that before he was neutered, but in
> > those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.
> >
> > Liz
> >

> I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>snip<
>OB

That's all the world needs now is fudge packing felines.

September 28th 03, 09:39 PM
Sandra Loosemore > wrote in message
> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P
>
> -Sandra

That's interesting... I have been under the
impression that all cats like to have their
ears/face washed... with 10 cats, that's a
normal event around here, of course... :)

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 09:39 PM
Sandra Loosemore > wrote in message
> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P
>
> -Sandra

That's interesting... I have been under the
impression that all cats like to have their
ears/face washed... with 10 cats, that's a
normal event around here, of course... :)

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 09:39 PM
Sandra Loosemore > wrote in message
> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P
>
> -Sandra

That's interesting... I have been under the
impression that all cats like to have their
ears/face washed... with 10 cats, that's a
normal event around here, of course... :)

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 09:40 PM
Sandra Loosemore > wrote in message
> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P
>
> -Sandra

That's interesting... I have been under the
impression that all cats like to have their
ears/face washed... with 10 cats, that's a
normal event around here, of course... :)

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 09:40 PM
Sandra Loosemore > wrote in message
> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P
>
> -Sandra

That's interesting... I have been under the
impression that all cats like to have their
ears/face washed... with 10 cats, that's a
normal event around here, of course... :)

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 09:40 PM
Sandra Loosemore > wrote in message
> "Ollie Burger" > writes:
>
> > I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
> > neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
> > not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
> > simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
>
> My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
> rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
> seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
> thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P
>
> -Sandra

That's interesting... I have been under the
impression that all cats like to have their
ears/face washed... with 10 cats, that's a
normal event around here, of course... :)

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 09:41 PM