PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Kittens

jejr68
September 27th 03, 09:10 PM
We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15 weeks.
Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An addorable female gray
tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is constantly chasing, hissing,
swatting, and "hunting" little Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be
afraid of him although this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt
her if left alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to
love his little sister ?

Thanks
Johnny <-- new to cats

m. L. Briggs
September 27th 03, 09:39 PM
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:10:53 -0400, "jejr68" >
wrote:

>We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15 weeks.
>Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An addorable female gray
>tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is constantly chasing, hissing,
>swatting, and "hunting" little Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be
>afraid of him although this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt
>her if left alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to
>love his little sister ?
>
>Thanks
>Johnny <-- new to cats

Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
sister.

wrote:

>We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15 weeks.
>Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An addorable female gray
>tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is constantly chasing, hissing,
>swatting, and "hunting" little Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be
>afraid of him although this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt
>her if left alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to
>love his little sister ?
>
>Thanks
>Johnny <-- new to cats

Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
sister.

jejr68
September 27th 03, 10:08 PM
Nope ... not yet, the Vet says wait till 5-6 months of age.

"m. L. Briggs" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:10:53 -0400, "jejr68" >
> wrote:
>
> >We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15 weeks.
> >Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An addorable female
gray
> >tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is constantly chasing, hissing,
> >swatting, and "hunting" little Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be
> >afraid of him although this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may
hurt
> >her if left alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him
> >love his little sister ?
> >
> >Thanks
> >Johnny <-- new to cats
> >
> Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
> sister.

Cheryl
September 27th 03, 10:15 PM
In ,
jejr68 > composed with style:
> We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15
> weeks. Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An
> addorable female gray tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is
> constantly chasing, hissing, swatting, and "hunting" little
> Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be afraid of him although
> this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt her if left
> alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to love
> his little sister ?
>
> Thanks
> Johnny <-- new to cats

You little Neo was taken from his mama too young. Whether that was
circumstances or someone placing them too young isn't the point, the
point is that Neo didn't get the opportunity to learn what is
acceptable behavior. I don't have experience with kittens so young
and hope someone else here does. You could always look up a book on
rearing kittens for some answers. Good luck and congrats on your new
family member! :)

Cheryl
September 27th 03, 10:15 PM
In ,
jejr68 > composed with style:
> We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15
> weeks. Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An
> addorable female gray tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is
> constantly chasing, hissing, swatting, and "hunting" little
> Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be afraid of him although
> this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt her if left
> alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to love
> his little sister ?
>
> Thanks
> Johnny <-- new to cats

You little Neo was taken from his mama too young. Whether that was
circumstances or someone placing them too young isn't the point, the
point is that Neo didn't get the opportunity to learn what is
acceptable behavior. I don't have experience with kittens so young
and hope someone else here does. You could always look up a book on
rearing kittens for some answers. Good luck and congrats on your new
family member! :)

Cheryl
September 27th 03, 10:15 PM
In ,
jejr68 > composed with style:
> We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15
> weeks. Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An
> addorable female gray tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is
> constantly chasing, hissing, swatting, and "hunting" little
> Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be afraid of him although
> this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt her if left
> alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to love
> his little sister ?
>
> Thanks
> Johnny <-- new to cats

You little Neo was taken from his mama too young. Whether that was
circumstances or someone placing them too young isn't the point, the
point is that Neo didn't get the opportunity to learn what is
acceptable behavior. I don't have experience with kittens so young
and hope someone else here does. You could always look up a book on
rearing kittens for some answers. Good luck and congrats on your new
family member! :)

Priscilla Ballou
September 27th 03, 10:18 PM
In article >,
"jejr68" > wrote:

> Nope ... not yet, the Vet says wait till 5-6 months of age.

There's no problem with neutering him now. Caley and Benjamin were
spayed and neutered at 12 weeks.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Priscilla Ballou
September 27th 03, 10:18 PM

"jejr68" > wrote:

> Nope ... not yet, the Vet says wait till 5-6 months of age.

There's no problem with neutering him now. Caley and Benjamin were
spayed and neutered at 12 weeks.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Karen
September 28th 03, 12:08 AM
in article , jejr68 at
wrote on 9/27/03 3:10 PM:

> We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15 weeks.
> Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An addorable female gray
> tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is constantly chasing, hissing,
> swatting, and "hunting" little Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be
> afraid of him although this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt
> her if left alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to
> love his little sister ?
>
> Thanks
> Johnny <-- new to cats

how old is she? I bet it will iron out pretty quick. I would keep them
separated at first, since he's not getting a clue real quickly and slowly
introduce them. As young as he is, he'll probably get better pretty quickly.
As you introduce them in bits here and there, have a wand toy ready to
divert his attention and learn her presence is a good thing.

Karen

Karen
September 28th 03, 12:08 AM
in article , jejr68 at

wrote on 9/27/03 3:10 PM:

> We have had Neo for about 9 weeks now, he is a healthy male of 15 weeks.
> Last week, we decided to pick up Neo a playmate. An addorable female gray
> tabby. All is not well in paradise. Neo is constantly chasing, hissing,
> swatting, and "hunting" little Madeline. Madeline does not appear to be
> afraid of him although this aggression worries me. I am afraid he may hurt
> her if left alone. Any hints on easing Neo's aggression and geting him to
> love his little sister ?
>
> Thanks
> Johnny <-- new to cats

how old is she? I bet it will iron out pretty quick. I would keep them
separated at first, since he's not getting a clue real quickly and slowly
introduce them. As young as he is, he'll probably get better pretty quickly.
As you introduce them in bits here and there, have a wand toy ready to
divert his attention and learn her presence is a good thing.

Karen

PawsForThought
September 28th 03, 01:57 AM
>From: m. L. Briggs

>Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
>sister.

The cat is only 15 weeks old.
________

PawsForThought
September 28th 03, 01:57 AM
>From: m. L. Briggs

>Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
>sister.

The cat is only 15 weeks old.
________

PawsForThought
September 28th 03, 01:57 AM
>From: m. L. Briggs

>Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
>sister.

The cat is only 15 weeks old.
________

Priscilla Ballou
September 28th 03, 03:05 AM
In article >,
(PawsForThought) wrote:

> >From: m. L. Briggs
>
> >Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
> >sister.
> >

> The cat is only 15 weeks old.

Not too early.

Priscilla
--

(PawsForThought) wrote:

> >From: m. L. Briggs
>
> >Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
> >sister.
> >

> The cat is only 15 weeks old.

Not too early.

Priscilla
--

(PawsForThought) wrote:

> >From: m. L. Briggs
>
> >Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as a
> >sister.
> >

> The cat is only 15 weeks old.

Not too early.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 03:13 AM
In ,
Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> In article >,
> (PawsForThought) wrote:
>
>>> From: m. L. Briggs
>>
>>> Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as
>>> a sister.
>>>

>> The cat is only 15 weeks old.
>
> Not too early.
>
> Priscilla

But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 03:13 AM
In ,
Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> In article >,
> (PawsForThought) wrote:
>
>>> From: m. L. Briggs
>>
>>> Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as
>>> a sister.
>>>

>> The cat is only 15 weeks old.
>
> Not too early.
>
> Priscilla

But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 03:13 AM
In ,
Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> In article >,
> (PawsForThought) wrote:
>
>>> From: m. L. Briggs
>>
>>> Has he been neutered as yet? If not, I doubt he thinks of her as
>>> a sister.
>>>

>> The cat is only 15 weeks old.
>
> Not too early.
>
> Priscilla

But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.

Priscilla Ballou
September 28th 03, 03:21 AM
In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> In ,
> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

> >> The cat is only 15 weeks old.
> >
> > Not too early.

> But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.

I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If she
waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.

Priscilla
--

"Cheryl" > wrote:

> In ,
> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

> >> The cat is only 15 weeks old.
> >
> > Not too early.

> But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.

I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If she
waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 03:39 AM
In ,
Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

>>> Not too early.
>
>> But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.
>
> I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
> weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If
> she waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.
>
> Priscilla

No, but you didn't say anything about why the 15 month old kitten is
becoming so aggressive. Mating behavior isn't why at that age.

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 03:39 AM
In ,
Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

>>> Not too early.
>
>> But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.
>
> I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
> weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If
> she waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.
>
> Priscilla

No, but you didn't say anything about why the 15 month old kitten is
becoming so aggressive. Mating behavior isn't why at that age.

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 03:39 AM
In ,
Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

>>> Not too early.
>
>> But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.
>
> I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
> weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If
> she waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.
>
> Priscilla

No, but you didn't say anything about why the 15 month old kitten is
becoming so aggressive. Mating behavior isn't why at that age.

Priscilla Ballou
September 28th 03, 03:44 AM
In article >,
"Cheryl" > wrote:

> In ,
> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> > In article >,
> > "Cheryl" > wrote:
> >
> >> In ,
> >> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

> >> But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.
> >
> > I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
> > weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If
> > she waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.
>
> No, but you didn't say anything about why the 15 month old kitten is
> becoming so aggressive. Mating behavior isn't why at that age.

I answered the question at hand. You grading these follow-ups?

Priscilla
--

"Cheryl" > wrote:

> In ,
> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> > In article >,
> > "Cheryl" > wrote:
> >
> >> In ,
> >> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

> >> But too early to be exhibiting mating behavior.
> >
> > I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
> > weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If
> > she waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.
>
> No, but you didn't say anything about why the 15 month old kitten is
> becoming so aggressive. Mating behavior isn't why at that age.

I answered the question at hand. You grading these follow-ups?

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 04:02 AM
In ,
Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:
> In article >,
> "Cheryl" > wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Priscilla Ballou > composed with style:

>>> I haven't said anything about his exhibiting mating behavior at 15
>>> weeks. I'm saying it's not too early for him to be neutered. If
>>> she waits until he's 6 months old, it may be too late then.
>>
>> No, but you didn't say anything about why the 15 month old kitten
>> is becoming so aggressive. Mating behavior isn't why at that age.
>
> I answered the question at hand. You grading these follow-ups?
>
> Priscilla

Heh. I didn't realize this was turning into an argument.