PDA

View Full Version : Skinny cat

Ollie Burger
September 27th 03, 11:35 PM
Hi Group,

As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
male) passed away last weekend. He went
in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
since I noticed he was eating less and had
diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
the Vet was concerned about, was that he
was having some trouble breathing. On
Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
down and laid down in his other favorite place,
the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
character!

Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
was watching Rhuni do her business the
other day and noticed hers was runny as
well.

She has a great appetite, is active,
affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
what may be causing this?

When asked, the Vet said she probably
had a high metabolism (this was before I
noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
this now, in light of buster's unexpected
departure, and would like some of your
opinions before I take her in.

OB

Gail
September 28th 03, 12:05 AM
She should be seen by a vet and take in a stool sample.Could be parasites,
or symptoms of an underlyng disease (ie hyperthyroidism, etc).
Gail
"Ollie Burger" > wrote in message
> [...]

> story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
> character!
>
> Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> was watching Rhuni do her business the
> other day and noticed hers was runny as
> well.
>
> She has a great appetite, is active,
> affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> what may be causing this?
>
> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected

Karen
September 28th 03, 12:08 AM
in article , Ollie Burger at
wrote on 9/27/03 5:35 PM:

> Hi Group,
>
> As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
> well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
> male) passed away last weekend. He went
> in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
> since I noticed he was eating less and had
> diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
> kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> was having some trouble breathing. On
> Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
> will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
> story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
> character!
>
> Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> was watching Rhuni do her business the
> other day and noticed hers was runny as
> well.
>
> She has a great appetite, is active,
> affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> what may be causing this?
>
> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure, and would like some of your
> opinions before I take her in.
>
> OB

Since her stool is runny, it is best to take her in. She may not be
absorbing nutrients from her food. SHe may need a different diet altogether.
Keep us posted and sooo sorry to hear about Buster.

Karen

Karen
September 28th 03, 12:08 AM
in article , Ollie Burger at

wrote on 9/27/03 5:35 PM:

> Hi Group,
>
> As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
> well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
> male) passed away last weekend. He went
> in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
> since I noticed he was eating less and had
> diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
> kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> was having some trouble breathing. On
> Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
> will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
> story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
> character!
>
> Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> was watching Rhuni do her business the
> other day and noticed hers was runny as
> well.
>
> She has a great appetite, is active,
> affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> what may be causing this?
>
> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure, and would like some of your
> opinions before I take her in.
>
> OB

Since her stool is runny, it is best to take her in. She may not be
absorbing nutrients from her food. SHe may need a different diet altogether.
Keep us posted and sooo sorry to hear about Buster.

Karen

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 12:17 AM
In ,
Ollie Burger > composed with style:
> Hi Group,
>
> As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
> well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
> male) passed away last weekend

I'm so sorry about Buster. :(

> Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> was watching Rhuni do her business the
> other day and noticed hers was runny as
> well.
>
> She has a great appetite, is active,
> affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> what may be causing this?
>
> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure, and would like some of your
> opinions before I take her in.
>
> OB

The fact that she has a great appetite shows she isn't nauseous which
is good. My Shadow has chronic diarrhea and it makes him hungrier
since the food goes right through him. I can't tell if his diarrhea
contains undigested food because it's just too hard to see it in the
litter. Vet will probably start her on Flagyl so I'd suggest you call
the vet back and let them know about the diarrhea. In most cats this
will wipe out any microorganisms causing the diarrhea. If not, then
you have something more to go on.

> [...]

> is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> what may be causing this?
>
> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure, and would like some of your
> opinions before I take her in.
>
> OB

The fact that she has a great appetite shows she isn't nauseous which
is good. My Shadow has chronic diarrhea and it makes him hungrier
since the food goes right through him. I can't tell if his diarrhea
contains undigested food because it's just too hard to see it in the
litter. Vet will probably start her on Flagyl so I'd suggest you call
the vet back and let them know about the diarrhea. In most cats this
will wipe out any microorganisms causing the diarrhea. If not, then

September 28th 03, 12:23 AM
Vet will probably start her on Flagyl so I'd
> suggest you call the vet back and let them know about the diarrhea.
> In most cats this will wipe out any microorganisms causing the
> diarrhea. If not, then you have something more to go on.

Oops. As a followup Flagyl is really nasty bitter tasting so if they
ask liquid or tablet, definitely get the tablets and put the half tab
into a gelcap to keep her from foaming at the mouth and likely either
spitting it out or getting sick to her tummy just from that.

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 12:23 AM
Vet will probably start her on Flagyl so I'd
> suggest you call the vet back and let them know about the diarrhea.
> In most cats this will wipe out any microorganisms causing the
> diarrhea. If not, then you have something more to go on.

Oops. As a followup Flagyl is really nasty bitter tasting so if they
ask liquid or tablet, definitely get the tablets and put the half tab
into a gelcap to keep her from foaming at the mouth and likely either
spitting it out or getting sick to her tummy just from that.

Cheryl
September 28th 03, 12:23 AM
Vet will probably start her on Flagyl so I'd
> suggest you call the vet back and let them know about the diarrhea.
> In most cats this will wipe out any microorganisms causing the
> diarrhea. If not, then you have something more to go on.

Oops. As a followup Flagyl is really nasty bitter tasting so if they
ask liquid or tablet, definitely get the tablets and put the half tab
into a gelcap to keep her from foaming at the mouth and likely either
spitting it out or getting sick to her tummy just from that.

Sherry
September 28th 03, 01:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you lost Buster. But what a wonderful way to go. Every cat
should be so lucky. He was warm, fed, loved, and in familiar surroundings. But
I know you'll miss him terribly.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 01:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you lost Buster. But what a wonderful way to go. Every cat
should be so lucky. He was warm, fed, loved, and in familiar surroundings. But
I know you'll miss him terribly.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 01:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you lost Buster. But what a wonderful way to go. Every cat
should be so lucky. He was warm, fed, loved, and in familiar surroundings. But
I know you'll miss him terribly.

Sherry

Phil P.
September 28th 03, 09:40 AM
"Ollie Burger" > wrote in message
> Hi Group,

His blood work was normal and his
> kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> was having some trouble breathing.

And what did your vet do about it? Did he x-ray Buster's chest to look for
an enlarged heart and fluid in the lungs -- which occurs secondary to heart
disease?

On
> Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> open... expired!

Several possibilities exist for the cause of death. However, due his age
and gender, the most plausible explanation (to my mind) is suffocation from
pulmonary edema. Diuretics and probably heart medications may have made
Buster more comfortable and probably would have extended his life.

Re: Rhuni

> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea).

I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure,

I wouldn't be satisfied with that answer, either.

and would like some of your
> opinions before I take her in.

Ollie, you need to find a new vet ASAP.

I'm sorry about Buster.

Best of luck.

Phil.

Phil P.
September 28th 03, 09:40 AM
> [...]

> Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> open... expired!

Several possibilities exist for the cause of death. However, due his age
and gender, the most plausible explanation (to my mind) is suffocation from
pulmonary edema. Diuretics and probably heart medications may have made
Buster more comfortable and probably would have extended his life.

Re: Rhuni

> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea).

I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure,

I wouldn't be satisfied with that answer, either.

m. L. Briggs
September 28th 03, 07:46 PM
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 22:35:32 GMT, "Ollie Burger" >
wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
>well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
>male) passed away last weekend. He went
>in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
>since I noticed he was eating less and had
>diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
>kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
>the Vet was concerned about, was that he
>was having some trouble breathing. On
>Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
>chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
>down and laid down in his other favorite place,
>the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
>noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
>open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
>will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
>story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
>character!
>
>Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
>nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
>female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
>petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
>well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
>litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
>now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
>was watching Rhuni do her business the
>other day and noticed hers was runny as
>well.
>
>She has a great appetite, is active,
>affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
>is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
>has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
>what may be causing this?
>
>When asked, the Vet said she probably
>had a high metabolism (this was before I
>noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
>this now, in light of buster's unexpected
>departure, and would like some of your
>opinions before I take her in.
>
>OB

Deepest sympathy. It is hard to lose a loved pet.

wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
>well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
>male) passed away last weekend. He went
>in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
>since I noticed he was eating less and had
>diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
>kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
>the Vet was concerned about, was that he
>was having some trouble breathing. On
>Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
>chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
>down and laid down in his other favorite place,
>the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
>noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
>open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
>will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
>story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
>character!
>
>Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
>nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
>female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
>petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
>well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
>litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
>now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
>was watching Rhuni do her business the
>other day and noticed hers was runny as
>well.
>
>She has a great appetite, is active,
>affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
>is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
>has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
>what may be causing this?
>
>When asked, the Vet said she probably
>had a high metabolism (this was before I
>noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
>this now, in light of buster's unexpected
>departure, and would like some of your
>opinions before I take her in.
>
>OB

Deepest sympathy. It is hard to lose a loved pet.

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 07:59 PM
Sherry > wrote in message
> I'm so sorry to hear you lost Buster. But what a wonderful way to go. Every cat
> should be so lucky. He was warm, fed, loved, and in familiar surroundings. But
> I know you'll miss him terribly.
>
> Sherry

Thanks Sherry,
It's always sad to loose an old friend, but on
the other hand, he did live a full life, and passed
without much trauma... the way I want to go :)

We all miss him, including his four legged house-
mates.

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 07:59 PM

Phil P. > wrote in message

> "Ollie Burger" > wrote in message
> > Hi Group,
> >
> His blood work was normal and his
> > kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> > the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> > was having some trouble breathing.
>
> And what did your vet do about it? Did he x-ray Buster's chest to look for
> an enlarged heart and fluid in the lungs -- which occurs secondary to heart
> disease?

He did the blood work and a physical exam,
then give him a shot of cortizone, and a
prescription for Flagyl. He said to watch him
over the weekend to see if there was any
improvement...

> On
> > Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> > chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> > down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> > the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> > noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> > open... expired!
>
> Several possibilities exist for the cause of death. However, due his age
> and gender, the most plausible explanation (to my mind) is suffocation from
> pulmonary edema. Diuretics and probably heart medications may have made
> Buster more comfortable and probably would have extended his life.

I assume by pulmonary edema you mean
heart attack. This is my gut feeling...

> Re: Rhuni
>
> > When asked, the Vet said she probably
> > had a high metabolism (this was before I
> > noticed the diarrhea).
>

> I'm not satisfied with
> > this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> > departure,
>
> I wouldn't be satisfied with that answer, either.
>

> and would like some of your
> > opinions before I take her in.
>
> Ollie, you need to find a new vet ASAP.
>
> I'm sorry about Buster.
>
> Best of luck.
>
> Phil.

Hi phil,

This Vet has been very good up to this
point... I'll see what he has to say about
Rhuni before I make a deciaion to, say,
get another opinion. Your input has been
quite helpful though... many thanks.

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 07:59 PM

Cheryl > wrote in message ...

> Vet will probably start her on Flagyl so I'd
> > suggest you call the vet back and let them know about the diarrhea.
> > In most cats this will wipe out any microorganisms causing the
> > diarrhea. If not, then you have something more to go on.
>
> Oops. As a followup Flagyl is really nasty bitter tasting so if they
> ask liquid or tablet, definitely get the tablets and put the half tab
> into a gelcap to keep her from foaming at the mouth and likely either
> spitting it out or getting sick to her tummy just from that.

The Vet gave a prescription for flagyl for
Buster's diarrhea, so I have that. I'll see
what he has to say after looking her over.

I'm wracking my brain trying to remember
your other cat's name... arrgh, another
senior moment :0) I hope they are both
well though... thanks for the input.

BTW, Butchie is ovbiously upset regarding
Buster... he's been insecure and needy all
week - as if he isn't an attention hog in any
case - but he's getting lotsa lovin'
nonetheless... Butchie and Max are piled up
at my feet right now :)

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 07:59 PM

Karen > wrote in message
> in article , Ollie Burger at
> wrote on 9/27/03 5:35 PM:
>
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
> > well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
> > male) passed away last weekend. He went
> > in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
> > since I noticed he was eating less and had
> > diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
> > kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> > the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> > was having some trouble breathing. On
> > Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> > chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> > down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> > the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> > noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> > open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
> > will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
> > story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
> > character!
> >
> > Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> > nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> > female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> > petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> > well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> > litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> > now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> > was watching Rhuni do her business the
> > other day and noticed hers was runny as
> > well.
> >
> > She has a great appetite, is active,
> > affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> > is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> > has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> > what may be causing this?
> >
> > When asked, the Vet said she probably
> > had a high metabolism (this was before I
> > noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> > this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> > departure, and would like some of your
> > opinions before I take her in.
> >
> > OB
> >

> Since her stool is runny, it is best to take her in. She may not be
> absorbing nutrients from her food. SHe may need a different diet altogether.
> Keep us posted and sooo sorry to hear about Buster.
>
> Karen

Thanks Karen,
Buster was a real character... he'll be missed
indeed! Rhuni is a total sweetie-pie... the only
one who never gets into trouble... :) We'll see
what the Vet has to say... thanks for the input.

OB

Ollie Burger
September 28th 03, 07:59 PM

Karen > wrote in message
> in article , Ollie Burger at
> wrote on 9/27/03 5:35 PM:
>
> > Hi Group,
> >
> > As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
> > well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
> > male) passed away last weekend. He went
> > in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
> > since I noticed he was eating less and had
> > diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
> > kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> > the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> > was having some trouble breathing. On
> > Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> > chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> > down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> > the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> > noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> > open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
> > will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
> > story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
> > character!
> >
> > Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> > nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> > female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> > petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> > well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> > litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> > now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> > was watching Rhuni do her business the
> > other day and noticed hers was runny as
> > well.
> >
> > She has a great appetite, is active,
> > affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> > is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> > has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> > what may be causing this?
> >
> > When asked, the Vet said she probably
> > had a high metabolism (this was before I
> > noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> > this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> > departure, and would like some of your
> > opinions before I take her in.
> >
> > OB
> >

> Since her stool is runny, it is best to take her in. She may not be
> absorbing nutrients from her food. SHe may need a different diet altogether.
> Keep us posted and sooo sorry to hear about Buster.
>
> Karen

Thanks Karen,
Buster was a real character... he'll be missed
indeed! Rhuni is a total sweetie-pie... the only
one who never gets into trouble... :) We'll see
what the Vet has to say... thanks for the input.

OB

Karen M.
September 28th 03, 10:45 PM
Ollie Burger wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
> well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
> male) passed away last weekend. He went
> in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
> since I noticed he was eating less and had
> diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
> kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> was having some trouble breathing. On
> Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
> will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
> story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
> character!
>
> Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> was watching Rhuni do her business the
> other day and noticed hers was runny as
> well.
>
> She has a great appetite, is active,
> affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> what may be causing this?
>
> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure, and would like some of your
> opinions before I take her in.
>
> OB

So sorry to hear about Buster. :( He knew how loved he was, and now
he'll watch over you. As for Rhuni, I think what Cheryl said makes sense
and I hope things look more solid for her real soon!

Karen

Karen M.
September 28th 03, 10:45 PM

Ollie Burger wrote:

> Hi Group,
>
> As many of you know, I have 11 indoor cats,
> well, 10 now. Old Buster (a beautiful tuxedo
> male) passed away last weekend. He went
> in for a checkup (he was 16) last Friday,
> since I noticed he was eating less and had
> diarrhea. His blood work was normal and his
> kidneys were functioning fine -- the only thing
> the Vet was concerned about, was that he
> was having some trouble breathing. On
> Saturday I noticed him laying in my computer
> chair (his favorite place), and later he hopped
> down and laid down in his other favorite place,
> the hallway. No more than 5 minutes later I
> noticed him laying on his side with his mouth
> open... expired! He was a good ol' boy, and
> will be missed. Perhaps I'll post a "Buster
> story" at a later date... he was a lovable ol'
> character!
>
> Now the reason for my post... I am a bit
> nervous now... I have a little 2 yr old tortie
> female named Rhuni (roony) who is really
> petite -- like tiny -- but is really skinny as
> well. When I noticed the diarrhea in the
> litterboxes, I assumed it was Buster's, but
> now I am not so sure it was only his, as I
> was watching Rhuni do her business the
> other day and noticed hers was runny as
> well.
>
> She has a great appetite, is active,
> affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
> is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
> has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
> what may be causing this?
>
> When asked, the Vet said she probably
> had a high metabolism (this was before I
> noticed the diarrhea). I'm not satisfied with
> this now, in light of buster's unexpected
> departure, and would like some of your
> opinions before I take her in.
>
> OB

So sorry to hear about Buster. :( He knew how loved he was, and now
he'll watch over you. As for Rhuni, I think what Cheryl said makes sense
and I hope things look more solid for her real soon!

Karen

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 12:41 AM
In ,
Ollie Burger > composed with style:
> Cheryl > wrote in message

> The Vet gave a prescription for flagyl for
> Buster's diarrhea, so I have that. I'll see
> what he has to say after looking her over.
>
> I'm wracking my brain trying to remember
> your other cat's name... arrgh, another
> senior moment :0) I hope they are both
> well though... thanks for the input.

Shamrock. :) Though now I have a third; Bonnie. She was caught in
my trap when I was trapping some of the strays around here for
neutering. I couldn't find a place for her and I hated risking her
with FeLV but I couldn't release her with the older cats. She was
just too small (about 4-6 months). She's vaccinated for FeLV now and
I hope that keeps her healthy.

> BTW, Butchie is ovbiously upset regarding
> Buster... he's been insecure and needy all
> week - as if he isn't an attention hog in any
> case - but he's getting lotsa lovin'
> nonetheless... Butchie and Max are piled up
> at my feet right now :)
>
> OB

I'm sorry for Butchie... poor lil guy. Shadow was very clingy after
Marley passed, too.. even though they never really got along. Give
Butchie and Max and the other 7 scritches from me and good luck with
Rhuni

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 12:41 AM
In ,
Ollie Burger > composed with style:
> Cheryl > wrote in message

> The Vet gave a prescription for flagyl for
> Buster's diarrhea, so I have that. I'll see
> what he has to say after looking her over.
>
> I'm wracking my brain trying to remember
> your other cat's name... arrgh, another
> senior moment :0) I hope they are both
> well though... thanks for the input.

Shamrock. :) Though now I have a third; Bonnie. She was caught in
my trap when I was trapping some of the strays around here for
neutering. I couldn't find a place for her and I hated risking her
with FeLV but I couldn't release her with the older cats. She was
just too small (about 4-6 months). She's vaccinated for FeLV now and
I hope that keeps her healthy.

> BTW, Butchie is ovbiously upset regarding
> Buster... he's been insecure and needy all
> week - as if he isn't an attention hog in any
> case - but he's getting lotsa lovin'
> nonetheless... Butchie and Max are piled up
> at my feet right now :)
>
> OB

I'm sorry for Butchie... poor lil guy. Shadow was very clingy after
Marley passed, too.. even though they never really got along. Give
Butchie and Max and the other 7 scritches from me and good luck with
Rhuni

Cheryl
September 29th 03, 12:41 AM
In ,
Ollie Burger > composed with style:
> Cheryl > wrote in message

> The Vet gave a prescription for flagyl for
> Buster's diarrhea, so I have that. I'll see
> what he has to say after looking her over.
>
> I'm wracking my brain trying to remember
> your other cat's name... arrgh, another
> senior moment :0) I hope they are both
> well though... thanks for the input.

Shamrock. :) Though now I have a third; Bonnie. She was caught in
my trap when I was trapping some of the strays around here for
neutering. I couldn't find a place for her and I hated risking her
with FeLV but I couldn't release her with the older cats. She was
just too small (about 4-6 months). She's vaccinated for FeLV now and
I hope that keeps her healthy.

> BTW, Butchie is ovbiously upset regarding
> Buster... he's been insecure and needy all
> week - as if he isn't an attention hog in any
> case - but he's getting lotsa lovin'
> nonetheless... Butchie and Max are piled up
> at my feet right now :)
>
> OB

I'm sorry for Butchie... poor lil guy. Shadow was very clingy after
Marley passed, too.. even though they never really got along. Give
Butchie and Max and the other 7 scritches from me and good luck with
Rhuni

Meghan Noecker
September 29th 03, 08:51 AM
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:46:17 -0600, m. L. Briggs >
wrote:

>>She has a great appetite, is active,
>>affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
>>is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
>>has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
>>what may be causing this?

I would take her in, check her for worms, have bloodowrk done, and ask
about diet information.

I don't want to scare you, but I picked up a stray 3 years ago after
he was hit by a car. He had broken jaw, and lost an eye, but he was
healing well. He was very underweight, a walking skeleton. He was
eating well and started to gain wait, then suddenly got sick. Vomiting
and diarhea. The vet wormed him, gave him extra vitamins, and gave me
some special food to help him, but after 3 days, he died. We don't
know the exact cause, but regardless of what actually made him sick,
he was already so underweight that he nothing left to rely on. A
healthy animal can handle some diarhea and get well, but an animal
that is already sick, can be at high risk.

So, at the very least, rule out any diseases and worms, and see if you
can put some weight on the cat.

I have to admit, I am a bit biased. My first cat died at age 19 and
was a very hard keeper. I worked hard to get her to eat (she was very
finicky with very little appetite). And the stray cat was already so
light (8 months, under 6 lbs, and longer than my 9lb cat).

I made it a serious business to keep weight on my older cat who is
currently 17 years old. He was always a lean cat, never underweight
til this past year, but never overweight either. I noticed him losing
weight thie year and experimented with different foods and feeding
plans to keep weight on him. I finally found the ideal feeding system
for him, and he has been at a good weight ever since. I would say he
is plump for him, but not actually overweight. I can still feel his
ribs.

Anyway, since I have lost two skinny cats, I tend to be very nervous
when they lose weight. Especially, when they are older or have some
other health issue going on.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

wrote:

>>She has a great appetite, is active,
>>affectionate, grooms herself, and her fur
>>is nice and shiny. She is just skinny, and
>>has diarrhea. Does anyone have an idea
>>what may be causing this?

I would take her in, check her for worms, have bloodowrk done, and ask
about diet information.

I don't want to scare you, but I picked up a stray 3 years ago after
he was hit by a car. He had broken jaw, and lost an eye, but he was
healing well. He was very underweight, a walking skeleton. He was
eating well and started to gain wait, then suddenly got sick. Vomiting
and diarhea. The vet wormed him, gave him extra vitamins, and gave me
some special food to help him, but after 3 days, he died. We don't
know the exact cause, but regardless of what actually made him sick,
he was already so underweight that he nothing left to rely on. A
healthy animal can handle some diarhea and get well, but an animal
that is already sick, can be at high risk.

So, at the very least, rule out any diseases and worms, and see if you
can put some weight on the cat.

I have to admit, I am a bit biased. My first cat died at age 19 and
was a very hard keeper. I worked hard to get her to eat (she was very
finicky with very little appetite). And the stray cat was already so
light (8 months, under 6 lbs, and longer than my 9lb cat).

I made it a serious business to keep weight on my older cat who is
currently 17 years old. He was always a lean cat, never underweight
til this past year, but never overweight either. I noticed him losing
weight thie year and experimented with different foods and feeding
plans to keep weight on him. I finally found the ideal feeding system
for him, and he has been at a good weight ever since. I would say he
is plump for him, but not actually overweight. I can still feel his
ribs.

Anyway, since I have lost two skinny cats, I tend to be very nervous
when they lose weight. Especially, when they are older or have some
other health issue going on.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew
Equine and Pet Photography
http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

Ollie Burger
September 29th 03, 07:02 PM
Cheryl > wrote in message ...
> In ,
> Ollie Burger > composed with style:
> > Cheryl > wrote in message
>

> > The Vet gave a prescription for flagyl for
> > Buster's diarrhea, so I have that. I'll see
> > what he has to say after looking her over.
> >
> > I'm wracking my brain trying to remember
> > your other cat's name... arrgh, another
> > senior moment :0) I hope they are both
> > well though... thanks for the input.
>
> Shamrock. :) Though now I have a third; Bonnie. She was caught in
> my trap when I was trapping some of the strays around here for
> neutering. I couldn't find a place for her and I hated risking her
> with FeLV but I couldn't release her with the older cats. She was
> just too small (about 4-6 months). She's vaccinated for FeLV now and
> I hope that keeps her healthy.

The 4 kittens that were born to Carrot shortly
after the FeLV outbreak, are all healthy and
happy... Sunny, the male (a golden Tabby
with a white chin, chest, and sox), is an
absolute delite, so I am happy we ended up
keeping them. In any case, I suppose the
vaccine must be at least somewhat effective.

> > BTW, Butchie is ovbiously upset regarding
> > Buster... he's been insecure and needy all
> > week - as if he isn't an attention hog in any
> > case - but he's getting lotsa lovin'
> > nonetheless... Butchie and Max are piled up
> > at my feet right now :)
> >
> > OB
>
> I'm sorry for Butchie... poor lil guy. Shadow was very clingy after
> Marley passed, too.. even though they never really got along. Give
> Butchie and Max and the other 7 scritches from me and good luck with
> Rhuni

Poor lil guy? <lol> When Rhuni is cuddled up
next to Behemoth Butchie, she looks like a
little kitten :-) But yes, he (along with the
others) are getting lotsa extra attention, so
they should be feeling secure again before
too long... I hope!

In any case, give Shadow, Shamrock, and
Bonnie, scritches from me... and thanks for
your kind thoughts.

OB

Ollie Burger
September 29th 03, 07:02 PM