PDA

View Full Version : I SAW A CAT HIT BY A CAR LAST NIGHT! :o(

Gia
September 28th 03, 06:17 PM
I haven't written here in a while, but I"M really really upset and
looking for some support. Last night about 12am midnight. I had my
cats outside in the front yard. One on a harness and long leash and
the other just free. We do this every night when I get home from work.
Anyway I was also baby sitting my 4mo old grandson so I had him on the
porch in his seat. I saw a cat by the field basically right in front
of my house. Since I didn't want my loose cat to get in a fight with
him, I started walking towards him slowly and talking really low like
"hi kitty". He ran from me and a car hit him, I got so upset, I heard
him get hit hard and start screaming(meowing)'! I started screaming
as well. And ran the baby in the house and called my daughter to get
home now!I felt like I couldn't breath. I went out and looked for the
kitty but he was gone? I know he was hurt really bad. I cried ALL
night. I can hardly see out of my eyes today. Should Iook for him
today? Or what can I do? I'm so worried that he/she is really hurt
somewhere and there's nothing I can do, I was going to take him to the
Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
baby.

Sherry
September 28th 03, 06:32 PM
>I haven't written here in a while, but I"M really really upset and
>looking for some support. Last night about 12am midnight. I had my
>cats outside in the front yard. One on a harness and long leash and
>the other just free. We do this every night when I get home from work.
>Anyway I was also baby sitting my 4mo old grandson so I had him on the
>porch in his seat. I saw a cat by the field basically right in front
>of my house. Since I didn't want my loose cat to get in a fight with
>him, I started walking towards him slowly and talking really low like
>"hi kitty". He ran from me and a car hit him, I got so upset, I heard
>him get hit hard and start screaming(meowing)'! I started screaming
>as well. And ran the baby in the house and called my daughter to get
>home now!I felt like I couldn't breath. I went out and looked for the
>kitty but he was gone? I know he was hurt really bad. I cried ALL
>night. I can hardly see out of my eyes today. Should Iook for him
>today? Or what can I do? I'm so worried that he/she is really hurt
>somewhere and there's nothing I can do, I was going to take him to the
>Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
>Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
>and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
>baby.

What a nightmare. I'm so sorry that happened. Try not to beat yourself up over
it. You were just trying to help and it was a freak accident. Yeah, if it were
me I'd get out and try to find him. If he's injured badly, he probably won't be
too far. Look "low"...under shrubbery and places where a cat would hide. Maybe
you can enlist the help of some friends or neighborhood kids who can help you
search.
I don't think it's silly at all. I found a cat last week who'd been injured on
the side of the busy highway, took it to a vet and it died on the table. I
squalled for two days.
Good luck.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 06:32 PM
> [...]

>Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
>Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
>and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
>baby.

What a nightmare. I'm so sorry that happened. Try not to beat yourself up over
it. You were just trying to help and it was a freak accident. Yeah, if it were
me I'd get out and try to find him. If he's injured badly, he probably won't be
too far. Look "low"...under shrubbery and places where a cat would hide. Maybe
you can enlist the help of some friends or neighborhood kids who can help you
search.
I don't think it's silly at all. I found a cat last week who'd been injured on
the side of the busy highway, took it to a vet and it died on the table. I

Katra
September 28th 03, 06:56 PM
Gia wrote:

> I haven't written here in a while, but I"M really really upset and
> looking for some support. Last night about 12am midnight. I had my
> cats outside in the front yard. One on a harness and long leash and
> the other just free. We do this every night when I get home from work.
> Anyway I was also baby sitting my 4mo old grandson so I had him on the
> porch in his seat. I saw a cat by the field basically right in front
> of my house. Since I didn't want my loose cat to get in a fight with
> him, I started walking towards him slowly and talking really low like
> "hi kitty". He ran from me and a car hit him, I got so upset, I heard
> him get hit hard and start screaming(meowing)'! I started screaming
> as well. And ran the baby in the house and called my daughter to get
> home now!I felt like I couldn't breath. I went out and looked for the
> kitty but he was gone? I know he was hurt really bad. I cried ALL
> night. I can hardly see out of my eyes today. Should Iook for him
> today? Or what can I do? I'm so worried that he/she is really hurt
> somewhere and there's nothing I can do, I was going to take him to the
> Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
> Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
> and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
> baby.

I'd look around for it...

If the car was not going too fast, it may or may not be seriously
injured but if it ran off, there is a slight chance that it might be ok. :-(

Never, never approach a strange cat near a busy street... :-( There are
two beautiful white cats that live in the parking lot at work. I don't
chase them because they seem to be feral. They catch and eat bugs around
the street lights at night, and I leave out dry food for them.

You do have my sympathy! I'd feel terrible too. ;-(

<comfort hugs>
Katra
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

Katra
September 28th 03, 06:56 PM

Gia wrote:

> I haven't written here in a while, but I"M really really upset and
> looking for some support. Last night about 12am midnight. I had my
> cats outside in the front yard. One on a harness and long leash and
> the other just free. We do this every night when I get home from work.
> Anyway I was also baby sitting my 4mo old grandson so I had him on the
> porch in his seat. I saw a cat by the field basically right in front
> of my house. Since I didn't want my loose cat to get in a fight with
> him, I started walking towards him slowly and talking really low like
> "hi kitty". He ran from me and a car hit him, I got so upset, I heard
> him get hit hard and start screaming(meowing)'! I started screaming
> as well. And ran the baby in the house and called my daughter to get
> home now!I felt like I couldn't breath. I went out and looked for the
> kitty but he was gone? I know he was hurt really bad. I cried ALL
> night. I can hardly see out of my eyes today. Should Iook for him
> today? Or what can I do? I'm so worried that he/she is really hurt
> somewhere and there's nothing I can do, I was going to take him to the
> Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
> Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
> and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
> baby.

I'd look around for it...

If the car was not going too fast, it may or may not be seriously
injured but if it ran off, there is a slight chance that it might be ok. :-(

Never, never approach a strange cat near a busy street... :-( There are
two beautiful white cats that live in the parking lot at work. I don't
chase them because they seem to be feral. They catch and eat bugs around
the street lights at night, and I leave out dry food for them.

You do have my sympathy! I'd feel terrible too. ;-(

<comfort hugs>
Katra
--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

MacCandace
September 28th 03, 09:27 PM
<< Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
baby. >>

I hate people who think that caring about animals is "silly." I certainly know
what you mean and those people who don't understand that animals also feel pain
and fear are morons who don't deserve to live themselves. That said, yes, I
certainly think you should look for the cat. If he isn't dead, he is probably
seriously hurt. I hope, for his sake, that he did die immediately but it's
possible he is lingering somewhere and I'm sure, as Sherry said, that he is
fairly close by...no doubt in some bushes in that field. It's very sad. There
is another post in here today about another cat who was killed by a car ("My
cat..." thread). It's all too sad.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

MacCandace
September 28th 03, 09:27 PM
[...]

September 28th 03, 10:09 PM
>Yeah, if it were
>me I'd get out and try to find him. If he's injured badly, he probably won't
>be
>too far. Look "low"...under shrubbery and places where a cat would hide.

Gia, I forgot to add, be sure, if you *do* find him, to protect yourself
against scratches/bites. Wear heavy clothing, a man's work coat or something,
and ideally, long welding gloves.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 10:09 PM
>Yeah, if it were
>me I'd get out and try to find him. If he's injured badly, he probably won't
>be
>too far. Look "low"...under shrubbery and places where a cat would hide.

Gia, I forgot to add, be sure, if you *do* find him, to protect yourself
against scratches/bites. Wear heavy clothing, a man's work coat or something,
and ideally, long welding gloves.

Sherry

Sherry
September 28th 03, 10:09 PM
>Yeah, if it were
>me I'd get out and try to find him. If he's injured badly, he probably won't
>be
>too far. Look "low"...under shrubbery and places where a cat would hide.

Gia, I forgot to add, be sure, if you *do* find him, to protect yourself
against scratches/bites. Wear heavy clothing, a man's work coat or something,
and ideally, long welding gloves.

Sherry

Mary
September 29th 03, 04:56 AM
>Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
>and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
>baby

You are not silly. I'd be in tears too. There is nothing more upsetting than
watching an animal being hit by a car, even if he walks away. I understand why
you feel a little guilty. I was once trying to grab a sick squirrel. It ran
towards the street. I stopped because I didn't want to scare it in the street.
It then hid under a car. Then the car took off and killed it. I felt like it
was my fault but it wasn't. You shouldn't feel bad either. I hope it will be
okay. I personally would go look for it. Of course kitties can hide really well
so you probably won't find it. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Mary
September 29th 03, 04:56 AM
>Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
>and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
>baby

You are not silly. I'd be in tears too. There is nothing more upsetting than
watching an animal being hit by a car, even if he walks away. I understand why
you feel a little guilty. I was once trying to grab a sick squirrel. It ran
towards the street. I stopped because I didn't want to scare it in the street.
It then hid under a car. Then the car took off and killed it. I felt like it
was my fault but it wasn't. You shouldn't feel bad either. I hope it will be
okay. I personally would go look for it. Of course kitties can hide really well
so you probably won't find it. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Mary
September 29th 03, 04:56 AM
>Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
>and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
>baby

You are not silly. I'd be in tears too. There is nothing more upsetting than
watching an animal being hit by a car, even if he walks away. I understand why
you feel a little guilty. I was once trying to grab a sick squirrel. It ran
towards the street. I stopped because I didn't want to scare it in the street.
It then hid under a car. Then the car took off and killed it. I felt like it
was my fault but it wasn't. You shouldn't feel bad either. I hope it will be
okay. I personally would go look for it. Of course kitties can hide really well
so you probably won't find it. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

Rebecca B
September 29th 03, 10:54 AM
Try to find the cat as others have said where they can lie low.
Our cat was a rescue cat that we've had for 8 months now.
Before we got him, unfortunatey for Sully he was bought by a husband for his
wife, whom he found out that she didnt even like cats, (nice!) Sully was
therefore not allowed inside their home, and unfortunately he was hit by a
car.
Thankfully their neighbour saw this happen, and tried to find the
neighbours, but they had infact just abandoned Sully as they'd simply left
their home.
The RSPCA were called, and they found Sully hiding under a shed, the fact
that the shed clearance was only 4" shows you how cats do lie low when they
know that they've been injured. Somehow they got Sully out of the space, and
took him to the vets. He had a serious pelvis injury, and now basically has
a metal pelvis as it was shattered that badly.
He has healed up fine now, he does struggle sometimes when he goes up the
stairs, but 9 times out of 10 he is fine.
Time can be of the essence, so I'd try find the cat and get it to a vet.

Becky

"Gia" > wrote in message
om...
> I haven't written here in a while, but I"M really really upset and
> looking for some support. Last night about 12am midnight. I had my
> cats outside in the front yard. One on a harness and long leash and
> the other just free. We do this every night when I get home from work.
> Anyway I was also baby sitting my 4mo old grandson so I had him on the
> porch in his seat. I saw a cat by the field basically right in front
> of my house. Since I didn't want my loose cat to get in a fight with
> him, I started walking towards him slowly and talking really low like
> "hi kitty". He ran from me and a car hit him, I got so upset, I heard
> him get hit hard and start screaming(meowing)'! I started screaming
> as well. And ran the baby in the house and called my daughter to get
> home now!I felt like I couldn't breath. I went out and looked for the
> kitty but he was gone? I know he was hurt really bad. I cried ALL
> night. I can hardly see out of my eyes today. Should Iook for him
> today? Or what can I do? I'm so worried that he/she is really hurt
> somewhere and there's nothing I can do, I was going to take him to the
> Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
> Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
> and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
> baby.

Rebecca B
September 29th 03, 10:54 AM
Try to find the cat as others have said where they can lie low.
Our cat was a rescue cat that we've had for 8 months now.
Before we got him, unfortunatey for Sully he was bought by a husband for his
wife, whom he found out that she didnt even like cats, (nice!) Sully was
therefore not allowed inside their home, and unfortunately he was hit by a
car.
Thankfully their neighbour saw this happen, and tried to find the
neighbours, but they had infact just abandoned Sully as they'd simply left
their home.
The RSPCA were called, and they found Sully hiding under a shed, the fact
that the shed clearance was only 4" shows you how cats do lie low when they
know that they've been injured. Somehow they got Sully out of the space, and
took him to the vets. He had a serious pelvis injury, and now basically has
a metal pelvis as it was shattered that badly.
He has healed up fine now, he does struggle sometimes when he goes up the
stairs, but 9 times out of 10 he is fine.
Time can be of the essence, so I'd try find the cat and get it to a vet.

Becky

"Gia" > wrote in message
om...
> I haven't written here in a while, but I"M really really upset and
> looking for some support. Last night about 12am midnight. I had my
> cats outside in the front yard. One on a harness and long leash and
> the other just free. We do this every night when I get home from work.
> Anyway I was also baby sitting my 4mo old grandson so I had him on the
> porch in his seat. I saw a cat by the field basically right in front
> of my house. Since I didn't want my loose cat to get in a fight with
> him, I started walking towards him slowly and talking really low like
> "hi kitty". He ran from me and a car hit him, I got so upset, I heard
> him get hit hard and start screaming(meowing)'! I started screaming
> as well. And ran the baby in the house and called my daughter to get
> home now!I felt like I couldn't breath. I went out and looked for the
> kitty but he was gone? I know he was hurt really bad. I cried ALL
> night. I can hardly see out of my eyes today. Should Iook for him
> today? Or what can I do? I'm so worried that he/she is really hurt
> somewhere and there's nothing I can do, I was going to take him to the
> Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
> Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
> and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
> baby.

Rebecca B
September 29th 03, 10:54 AM
Try to find the cat as others have said where they can lie low.
Our cat was a rescue cat that we've had for 8 months now.
Before we got him, unfortunatey for Sully he was bought by a husband for his
wife, whom he found out that she didnt even like cats, (nice!) Sully was
therefore not allowed inside their home, and unfortunately he was hit by a
car.
Thankfully their neighbour saw this happen, and tried to find the
neighbours, but they had infact just abandoned Sully as they'd simply left
their home.
The RSPCA were called, and they found Sully hiding under a shed, the fact
that the shed clearance was only 4" shows you how cats do lie low when they
know that they've been injured. Somehow they got Sully out of the space, and
took him to the vets. He had a serious pelvis injury, and now basically has
a metal pelvis as it was shattered that badly.
He has healed up fine now, he does struggle sometimes when he goes up the
stairs, but 9 times out of 10 he is fine.
Time can be of the essence, so I'd try find the cat and get it to a vet.

Becky

"Gia" > wrote in message
om...
> I haven't written here in a while, but I"M really really upset and
> looking for some support. Last night about 12am midnight. I had my
> cats outside in the front yard. One on a harness and long leash and
> the other just free. We do this every night when I get home from work.
> Anyway I was also baby sitting my 4mo old grandson so I had him on the
> porch in his seat. I saw a cat by the field basically right in front
> of my house. Since I didn't want my loose cat to get in a fight with
> him, I started walking towards him slowly and talking really low like
> "hi kitty". He ran from me and a car hit him, I got so upset, I heard
> him get hit hard and start screaming(meowing)'! I started screaming
> as well. And ran the baby in the house and called my daughter to get
> home now!I felt like I couldn't breath. I went out and looked for the
> kitty but he was gone? I know he was hurt really bad. I cried ALL
> night. I can hardly see out of my eyes today. Should Iook for him
> today? Or what can I do? I'm so worried that he/she is really hurt
> somewhere and there's nothing I can do, I was going to take him to the
> Animal Hospital. They said that they would put him down.
> Everyone things I'm silly for being so upset but it keeps playing over
> and over in my mind. I'm sooooo sad and upset for the poor little
> baby.

GiannaMarisa
September 29th 03, 04:46 PM
I looked EVERY where yesterday. I knocked on neighbors doors and asked them to
keep an eye out for me too. Unfortunately I have had No luck so far. There are
also a lot of fields and tree areas in my neighborhood I tried looking in them
but he could be ANYwhere, I just hope I find him or that someone else has and
he is okay or sadly dead and not suffering somewhere. HE REALLY got HIT HARD.
As for me I will be okay but its going to take a while for that terrible sound
to go away it keeps playing in my mind. It just happened Saturday night at
midnight. :o( I don't think I will ever forget it.......
'Thank You for all of the support and I will keep you posted.
Gia

[...]

September 29th 03, 04:51 PM
There is a big field (empty lot) next to my house which has been over grown
with weeds and stuff and there are alot of strays around. NOT as many as when I
moved here 3 years ago because I have caught and saved quite a few. There's one
I'm working on now. When I went to see the cat that got hit, there wasn't a car
in sight I was on a quite street at midnight this guy/girl(who never even
stopped) was flying. My next door neighbor came over in the next morning to see
if I was okay because she heard me scream really loud and the cat was
screamming too those people had to have known they hit something. They didn't
care. That's who I'd like to catch as well.
[...]

September 29th 03, 04:54 PM
As soon as I drink some coffee here and stuff I'm going searching again. I
already saw another neighbor walking his dog when I was on my back porch having
a cigerette. He hasn't seen him/her and doesn't know anyone who has a cat like
that. I'm sure he was just a stray seeing how he was SO scared of me. I will
[...]

September 29th 03, 04:59 PM
What's the RSPCA? They looked for that cat and found it. Maybe they would help
me? I find it really hard to find anyone to help ANY animals in my area. I
found an injured baby squirrel a couple weeks ago and took him in and tried to
give him
(squirrel formula) he was infested with maggots by the time I found him though
and I need to get him to a wildlife shelter. I had to drive 45 minutes to get
to one with the baby squirrel. Sorry to say he died the next morning but at
least he was warm,safe and comfortable when he died. This kitty is all alone
somewhere.

[...]

kaeli
September 29th 03, 05:11 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> What's the RSPCA?

What some other countries like Australia and the UK call their version
of ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).
Generally, the Humane Society.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 29th 03, 05:11 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> What's the RSPCA?

What some other countries like Australia and the UK call their version
of ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).
Generally, the Humane Society.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 29th 03, 05:11 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> What's the RSPCA?

What some other countries like Australia and the UK call their version
of ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).
Generally, the Humane Society.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Mary
September 29th 03, 06:05 PM
>I just hope I find him or that someone else has and
>he is okay or sadly dead and not suffering somewhere. HE REALLY got HIT HARD.

I just remembered, the local stray here was hit by a car and then dragged 50
feet. The neighbors grabbed him later in the day, took him to the vet and
amazingly enough, he was fine. Maybe that cat will be fine also. I adopted the
local stray after my Boots passed away. I didn't want him to get hit by a car
again.

Mary
September 29th 03, 06:05 PM