PDA

View Full Version : Question: Preparing cat for teeth brushing

Al Kondo
October 1st 03, 12:28 AM
My wife and I have become the guardians of two orphaned kitties found
in my garage. They are two months old now and are healthy and
happy...... and, we are delighted with them. I want to make sure
that they are as healthy as possible. One of the areas that I read
about recently was concerning their dental health. I have read that
cats, like their human counterparts, can have dental problems. As a
believer in preventive approaches, I like the idea of cleaning their
teeth on a regular basis. I have read that inorder to brush their
teeth, they need to be gradually introduced to the idea of having
their mouths opened for purposes of teeth brushing. I have been
trying to gradually introduce them to the idea of my finger in their
mouths for this purpose. They don't like it very much. Is there a
way to do this in a systematic fashion? Perhaps, a way to reward
them when they allow me to rub their teeth? I would appreciate your
assistance.

Al Kondo

Karen
October 1st 03, 12:55 AM
in article , Al Kondo at
wrote on 9/30/03 6:28 PM:

> My wife and I have become the guardians of two orphaned kitties found
> in my garage. They are two months old now and are healthy and
> happy...... and, we are delighted with them. I want to make sure
> that they are as healthy as possible. One of the areas that I read
> about recently was concerning their dental health. I have read that
> cats, like their human counterparts, can have dental problems. As a
> believer in preventive approaches, I like the idea of cleaning their
> teeth on a regular basis. I have read that inorder to brush their
> teeth, they need to be gradually introduced to the idea of having
> their mouths opened for purposes of teeth brushing. I have been
> trying to gradually introduce them to the idea of my finger in their
> mouths for this purpose. They don't like it very much. Is there a
> way to do this in a systematic fashion? Perhaps, a way to reward
> them when they allow me to rub their teeth? I would appreciate your
> assistance.
>
> Al Kondo

I wish I'd done this when mine were little. My vet says just to take some
plain gauze and wrap it around your finger. The biggest worry spot is the
teeth in back that butt up against the cheek. The raspy tongue keep the
otherside in good shape. Just gently rub in there on that side of the teeth,
and in front (though those stay pretty good.) As kittens, if you can just
get them used to it, I think it will be half the battle.

Karen

Karen
October 1st 03, 12:55 AM
in article , Al Kondo at

wrote on 9/30/03 6:28 PM:

> My wife and I have become the guardians of two orphaned kitties found
> in my garage. They are two months old now and are healthy and
> happy...... and, we are delighted with them. I want to make sure
> that they are as healthy as possible. One of the areas that I read
> about recently was concerning their dental health. I have read that
> cats, like their human counterparts, can have dental problems. As a
> believer in preventive approaches, I like the idea of cleaning their
> teeth on a regular basis. I have read that inorder to brush their
> teeth, they need to be gradually introduced to the idea of having
> their mouths opened for purposes of teeth brushing. I have been
> trying to gradually introduce them to the idea of my finger in their
> mouths for this purpose. They don't like it very much. Is there a
> way to do this in a systematic fashion? Perhaps, a way to reward
> them when they allow me to rub their teeth? I would appreciate your
> assistance.
>
> Al Kondo

I wish I'd done this when mine were little. My vet says just to take some
plain gauze and wrap it around your finger. The biggest worry spot is the
teeth in back that butt up against the cheek. The raspy tongue keep the
otherside in good shape. Just gently rub in there on that side of the teeth,
and in front (though those stay pretty good.) As kittens, if you can just
get them used to it, I think it will be half the battle.

Karen

m. L. Briggs
October 1st 03, 01:04 AM
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:28:35 GMT, (Al Kondo) wrote:

>My wife and I have become the guardians of two orphaned kitties found
>in my garage. They are two months old now and are healthy and
>happy...... and, we are delighted with them. I want to make sure
>that they are as healthy as possible. One of the areas that I read
>about recently was concerning their dental health. I have read that
>cats, like their human counterparts, can have dental problems. As a
>believer in preventive approaches, I like the idea of cleaning their
>teeth on a regular basis. I have read that inorder to brush their
>teeth, they need to be gradually introduced to the idea of having
>their mouths opened for purposes of teeth brushing. I have been
>trying to gradually introduce them to the idea of my finger in their
>mouths for this purpose. They don't like it very much. Is there a
>way to do this in a systematic fashion? Perhaps, a way to reward
>them when they allow me to rub their teeth? I would appreciate your
>assistance.
>
>Al Kondo

My cat watches me brush my teeth and I know she "wants a taste too".
I have a cat toothbrush and special toothpaste and try to coax her to
let me do it. The most I am able to do is one tooth - then she says
"forget it". MLB