PDA

View Full Version : Re: Incorrigible Peeing Problem - ideas?

Gail
October 2nd 03, 07:14 PM
Take her to see a vet who is knowledgeable about cats.She may have
interstitial cystitis which causes painful urination. Medication is very
helpful for this conditon. I suspect her problem is medical. You must also
clean up the areas where she has urinated with an enzyme cleaner so she
doesn't smell the area and is drawn back to it.
Gail

"Cat Owner" > wrote in message
> Hello -
>
> The problem is one of our four indoors cats.
>
> This cat, Sheba, is a female stray that I adopted and raised as a very
> small (<6 weeks) kitten to adulthood. Sheba is now just under 5 years
> old, is in apparent good health, and has no other behavioral problems.
>
> This cat is an extremely persistent pee-er outside the box. It is an
> intermittent but persistent behavior that we really can't get to the
> bottom of.
>
> She does not "mark" vertical or freestanding objects with a spray.
> Rather, she always pees on horizontal surfaces on furniture, bedding,
> cushions, pillows, futon. It's only a matter of time before she has an
> eye for our $800 sofa.
>
> As stated, there is *no* apparent cause of her "accidents". She has no
> problems with going to the bathroom otherwise. She gets plenty of
> attention and love, and plays quite often. She in turn is extremely
> loving and attention-seeking.
>
> We've been using Feliway plugins AND spray. She just soaked a
> comforter on an extra bed that I sprayed with Feliway several times
> over the last week, where a 1/2 full plugin is right next to the bed
> in the wall socket.
>
> One thing of note. When she was a kitten, I tended to keep her in the
> basement and the garage for long periods. I later found places she
> "marked". And she apparently went into heat at around 9 months and
> "did" the bed right before I got her fixed. One thought is that she
> got used to semi-wild behaviors as a kitten and will never change.
>
> I am suspecting some sort of medical problem due to its persistence,
> but I am open to other interpretations.
>
> What the hell do I do? Resign myself to a house that's an open cat
> p*ss toilet? Or keep this one cat in a steel cage because she can't
> ever be trusted?
>
> Or has anyone had a cat do this and had a latent problem diagnosed?
>
> As I said, this cat is quite loved and doesn't suffer from lack of
> attention.
>
> Thanks!

Karen
October 3rd 03, 12:24 AM
in article , Cat Owner at
wrote on 10/2/03 12:24 PM:

> Hello -
>
> The problem is one of our four indoors cats.
>
> This cat, Sheba, is a female stray that I adopted and raised as a very
> small (<6 weeks) kitten to adulthood. Sheba is now just under 5 years
> old, is in apparent good health, and has no other behavioral problems.
>
> This cat is an extremely persistent pee-er outside the box. It is an
> intermittent but persistent behavior that we really can't get to the
> bottom of.
>
> She does not "mark" vertical or freestanding objects with a spray.
> Rather, she always pees on horizontal surfaces on furniture, bedding,
> cushions, pillows, futon. It's only a matter of time before she has an
> eye for our $800 sofa.
>
> As stated, there is *no* apparent cause of her "accidents". She has no
> problems with going to the bathroom otherwise. She gets plenty of
> attention and love, and plays quite often. She in turn is extremely
> loving and attention-seeking.
>
> We've been using Feliway plugins AND spray. She just soaked a
> comforter on an extra bed that I sprayed with Feliway several times
> over the last week, where a 1/2 full plugin is right next to the bed
> in the wall socket.
>
> One thing of note. When she was a kitten, I tended to keep her in the
> basement and the garage for long periods. I later found places she
> "marked". And she apparently went into heat at around 9 months and
> "did" the bed right before I got her fixed. One thought is that she
> got used to semi-wild behaviors as a kitten and will never change.
>
> I am suspecting some sort of medical problem due to its persistence,
> but I am open to other interpretations.
>
> What the hell do I do? Resign myself to a house that's an open cat
> p*ss toilet? Or keep this one cat in a steel cage because she can't
> ever be trusted?
>
> Or has anyone had a cat do this and had a latent problem diagnosed?
>
> As I said, this cat is quite loved and doesn't suffer from lack of
> attention.
>
> Thanks!

The first thing you Always do is check for a urinary tract infection or
other medical problem at the vets.

Karen

Karen
October 3rd 03, 12:24 AM
in article , Cat Owner at

wrote on 10/2/03 12:24 PM:

> Hello -
>
> The problem is one of our four indoors cats.
>
> This cat, Sheba, is a female stray that I adopted and raised as a very
> small (<6 weeks) kitten to adulthood. Sheba is now just under 5 years
> old, is in apparent good health, and has no other behavioral problems.
>
> This cat is an extremely persistent pee-er outside the box. It is an
> intermittent but persistent behavior that we really can't get to the
> bottom of.
>
> She does not "mark" vertical or freestanding objects with a spray.
> Rather, she always pees on horizontal surfaces on furniture, bedding,
> cushions, pillows, futon. It's only a matter of time before she has an
> eye for our $800 sofa.
>
> As stated, there is *no* apparent cause of her "accidents". She has no
> problems with going to the bathroom otherwise. She gets plenty of
> attention and love, and plays quite often. She in turn is extremely
> loving and attention-seeking.
>
> We've been using Feliway plugins AND spray. She just soaked a
> comforter on an extra bed that I sprayed with Feliway several times
> over the last week, where a 1/2 full plugin is right next to the bed
> in the wall socket.
>
> One thing of note. When she was a kitten, I tended to keep her in the
> basement and the garage for long periods. I later found places she
> "marked". And she apparently went into heat at around 9 months and
> "did" the bed right before I got her fixed. One thought is that she
> got used to semi-wild behaviors as a kitten and will never change.
>
> I am suspecting some sort of medical problem due to its persistence,
> but I am open to other interpretations.
>
> What the hell do I do? Resign myself to a house that's an open cat
> p*ss toilet? Or keep this one cat in a steel cage because she can't
> ever be trusted?
>
> Or has anyone had a cat do this and had a latent problem diagnosed?
>
> As I said, this cat is quite loved and doesn't suffer from lack of
> attention.
>
> Thanks!

The first thing you Always do is check for a urinary tract infection or
other medical problem at the vets.

Karen

Karen
October 3rd 03, 12:26 AM
in article , Cat Owner at
wrote on 10/2/03 2:22 PM:

> Gail,
>
> Thaks for the lead and specific syndrome name. Our regular vet (a
> "country doc") has examined her (no biopsy, tho) and indicated that he
> believes that Sheba's problem is 100% behavioral.
>
> Funny thing is, another one of our cats had a similar problem but was
> given to straining while urinating and spotting on surfaces outside
> the box; actually left some blood, too. She was diagnosed by the vet
> as having a uirnary tract infection. Medicine and a change of diet
> resulted in a *perfect* recovery and never a relapse.
>
> I hope it's that easy with this cat!

Straining does not have to occur for it to be the problem. I hope you get
her in soon.

Karen

Karen
October 3rd 03, 12:26 AM
in article , Cat Owner at

wrote on 10/2/03 2:22 PM:

> Gail,
>
> Thaks for the lead and specific syndrome name. Our regular vet (a
> "country doc") has examined her (no biopsy, tho) and indicated that he
> believes that Sheba's problem is 100% behavioral.
>
> Funny thing is, another one of our cats had a similar problem but was
> given to straining while urinating and spotting on surfaces outside
> the box; actually left some blood, too. She was diagnosed by the vet
> as having a uirnary tract infection. Medicine and a change of diet
> resulted in a *perfect* recovery and never a relapse.
>
> I hope it's that easy with this cat!

Straining does not have to occur for it to be the problem. I hope you get
her in soon.

Karen

Jaguar
October 4th 03, 08:28 AM
Problems other than with the urinary tract can be the cause of a cat not
using the litter box. Pain for one. Have the teeth been examined for
decay, bleeding gums, tartar? Is it possible that the cat has arthritis?
How's her vision? Her ears? Is she getting enough attention? Think
along all possible lines so as not to limit yourself. Very often the cat
is trying to tell you something. Usually it's a health problem. Other
times something changed in the cat's life that made it unhappy or
insecure. Has a loved one left? Is the cat alone all day?

Karen wrote:
> in article , Cat Owner at
> wrote on 10/2/03 2:22 PM:
>

>>Gail,
>>
>>Thaks for the lead and specific syndrome name. Our regular vet (a
>>"country doc") has examined her (no biopsy, tho) and indicated that he
>>believes that Sheba's problem is 100% behavioral.
>>
>>Funny thing is, another one of our cats had a similar problem but was
>>given to straining while urinating and spotting on surfaces outside
>>the box; actually left some blood, too. She was diagnosed by the vet
>>as having a uirnary tract infection. Medicine and a change of diet
>>resulted in a *perfect* recovery and never a relapse.
>>
>>I hope it's that easy with this cat!
>

> Straining does not have to occur for it to be the problem. I hope you get
> her in soon.
>
> Karen

marty
October 4th 03, 04:39 PM
There are 2 web sites you should look at.

www.catsinternational.com for behavioral modification
www.odorxit.com for odor elimination and control

Martin