PDA

View Full Version : My cat has sores on her nose!

Frank Klein
October 4th 03, 12:58 AM
Hi,

Frisky, my 11 year old female indoor cat, has developed a series of
small sores on her nose. They are scabbed, and have progressed from the
area between her nose proper and her forehead, and are now going toward
her lips. I called the vet, and after I described the problem in
detail, she suggested that they are mosquito bites ("I'd put money on
it," she said)... we do have a lot of mosquitoes here, but I do not
think that is it. I have been watching this to see if it was getting
better, but it is not... it is spreading. The spots are enlarging
slowly, but more importantly, more keep appearing around the edges of
the cluster. Soon her whole whisker area will be affected if I do not
stop it.

The patches are little bald spots with small scabs on them. She does
not appear to be in pain or itchy there; she shows no abnormal reaction
when I gently pet her nose (she is not fond of being touched that close
to her eyes generally, although sometimes, if she is in the mood, she
likes to be gently stroked from her nose to her forehead). I have not
seen her scratching at or otherwise favoring the affected area.

I took a digital photo and uploaded it to the following URL:

http://home.att.net/~ascaris1/nose.jpg

The spots appear more brilliant looking than they really are because of
the flash, and the image is a little blurry. Unfortunately, my digital
camera cannot take really close-up pictures as it has only a fixed-focus
lens. I tried taking a whole series of photos at differing distances,
and this one was the one that showed the problem the best. The ones
that were in focus didn't show the spots much at all.

I have one other cat in the house, and he is not affected. It seems to
be some sort of parasite, but I do not know where she would have picked
it up. She does not have contact with any outside animals. Both cats
get to go out onto the second-floor patio whenever they want (the glass
door is kept open a bit to let them in and out), which they enjoy
greatly, and they know better than to jump all the way down (it's too
far) and they have never attempted it. I don't see how any non-flying
animals would be able to get up there from the ground; there is no fence
or anything like that below which would allow an animal to get closer to
the patio before attempting a jump, and the supports are made of smooth
metal and cannot be climbed by any animal that uses only claws to
support its weight when climbing. Birds could land on the patio, but
they usually don't, certainly not with the cats there and the door open.

Ideas appreciated,
Frank

m. L. Briggs
October 4th 03, 01:11 AM
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 23:58:24 GMT, Frank Klein >
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Frisky, my 11 year old female indoor cat, has developed a series of
>small sores on her nose. They are scabbed, and have progressed from the
>area between her nose proper and her forehead, and are now going toward
>her lips. I called the vet, and after I described the problem in
>detail, she suggested that they are mosquito bites ("I'd put money on
>it," she said)... we do have a lot of mosquitoes here, but I do not
>think that is it. I have been watching this to see if it was getting
>better, but it is not... it is spreading. The spots are enlarging
>slowly, but more importantly, more keep appearing around the edges of
>the cluster. Soon her whole whisker area will be affected if I do not
>stop it.
>
>The patches are little bald spots with small scabs on them. She does
>not appear to be in pain or itchy there; she shows no abnormal reaction
>when I gently pet her nose (she is not fond of being touched that close
>to her eyes generally, although sometimes, if she is in the mood, she
>likes to be gently stroked from her nose to her forehead). I have not
>seen her scratching at or otherwise favoring the affected area.
>
>I took a digital photo and uploaded it to the following URL:
>
>http://home.att.net/~ascaris1/nose.jpg
>
>The spots appear more brilliant looking than they really are because of
>the flash, and the image is a little blurry. Unfortunately, my digital
>camera cannot take really close-up pictures as it has only a fixed-focus
>lens. I tried taking a whole series of photos at differing distances,
>and this one was the one that showed the problem the best. The ones
>that were in focus didn't show the spots much at all.
>
>I have one other cat in the house, and he is not affected. It seems to
>be some sort of parasite, but I do not know where she would have picked
>it up. She does not have contact with any outside animals. Both cats
>get to go out onto the second-floor patio whenever they want (the glass
>door is kept open a bit to let them in and out), which they enjoy
>greatly, and they know better than to jump all the way down (it's too
>far) and they have never attempted it. I don't see how any non-flying
>animals would be able to get up there from the ground; there is no fence
>or anything like that below which would allow an animal to get closer to
>the patio before attempting a jump, and the supports are made of smooth
>metal and cannot be climbed by any animal that uses only claws to
>support its weight when climbing. Birds could land on the patio, but
>they usually don't, certainly not with the cats there and the door open.
>
>Ideas appreciated,
> Frank

Why not take her to the Vet -- much better than a phone call.! hey
can take a scraping and look at it under the microscope. MLB

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Frisky, my 11 year old female indoor cat, has developed a series of
>small sores on her nose. They are scabbed, and have progressed from the
>area between her nose proper and her forehead, and are now going toward
>her lips. I called the vet, and after I described the problem in
>detail, she suggested that they are mosquito bites ("I'd put money on
>it," she said)... we do have a lot of mosquitoes here, but I do not
>think that is it. I have been watching this to see if it was getting
>better, but it is not... it is spreading. The spots are enlarging
>slowly, but more importantly, more keep appearing around the edges of
>the cluster. Soon her whole whisker area will be affected if I do not
>stop it.
>
>The patches are little bald spots with small scabs on them. She does
>not appear to be in pain or itchy there; she shows no abnormal reaction
>when I gently pet her nose (she is not fond of being touched that close
>to her eyes generally, although sometimes, if she is in the mood, she
>likes to be gently stroked from her nose to her forehead). I have not
>seen her scratching at or otherwise favoring the affected area.
>
>I took a digital photo and uploaded it to the following URL:
>
>http://home.att.net/~ascaris1/nose.jpg
>
>The spots appear more brilliant looking than they really are because of
>the flash, and the image is a little blurry. Unfortunately, my digital
>camera cannot take really close-up pictures as it has only a fixed-focus
>lens. I tried taking a whole series of photos at differing distances,
>and this one was the one that showed the problem the best. The ones
>that were in focus didn't show the spots much at all.
>
>I have one other cat in the house, and he is not affected. It seems to
>be some sort of parasite, but I do not know where she would have picked
>it up. She does not have contact with any outside animals. Both cats
>get to go out onto the second-floor patio whenever they want (the glass
>door is kept open a bit to let them in and out), which they enjoy
>greatly, and they know better than to jump all the way down (it's too
>far) and they have never attempted it. I don't see how any non-flying
>animals would be able to get up there from the ground; there is no fence
>or anything like that below which would allow an animal to get closer to
>the patio before attempting a jump, and the supports are made of smooth
>metal and cannot be climbed by any animal that uses only claws to
>support its weight when climbing. Birds could land on the patio, but
>they usually don't, certainly not with the cats there and the door open.
>
>Ideas appreciated,
> Frank

Why not take her to the Vet -- much better than a phone call.! hey
can take a scraping and look at it under the microscope. MLB

John Kimmel
October 4th 03, 01:12 AM
One of my cats gets the same thing on nose and ears every summer. This
year it started in May, and it cleared up last month. None of the other
local cats are affected.

http://home.teleport.com/~guynoir/webimages/livestock/crop1.jpg
http://home.teleport.com/~guynoir/webimages/livestock/crop2.jpg

Here's how I figured out it was mosquito bites:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/Consult.asp?Fun=Cause_2324&spc=Feline&dxkw=&sxkw=&signs=0-A121-S861-S67

When I took the cat to the vet, they said "I don't know what it is, but
we'll do a biopsy for $300. Or you can go to a cat allergist who will
charge you $85 to walk in the door. $25 please." So your vet's better
than mine.

--
John Kimmel

girls = time x money

time = money

girls = money x money = money²

money = the root of all evil = ¬/evil

girls = (¬/evil)²

girls = evil

--

--
John Kimmel

girls = time x money

time = money

girls = money x money = money²

money = the root of all evil = ¬/evil

girls = (¬/evil)²

girls = evil

MacCandace
October 4th 03, 02:36 AM
<< One of my cats gets the same thing on nose and ears every summer. This
year it started in May, and it cleared up last month. None of the other
local cats are affected. >>

Wow, your poor kitty looked awful in those pics. I wonder why some cats are so
susceptible and others are not. It must itch like crazy. What part of the
country are you from?

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

MacCandace
October 4th 03, 02:36 AM
[...]

-L.
October 4th 03, 06:19 AM
Frank Klein > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> Frisky, my 11 year old female indoor cat, has developed a series of
> small sores on her nose.

<snip>

I would take the cat to a feline specialist. Not to freak you out,
but could be skin cancer, especially if it "flares up" after exposure
to the sun - during sunnier weather (most skin cancers do not resolve,
so it may not be that, but I wouldn't rule it out without an exam).
Nose and ears are suspect places for cancers.

best of luck,
-L.

-L.
October 4th 03, 06:19 AM
Frank Klein > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> Frisky, my 11 year old female indoor cat, has developed a series of
> small sores on her nose.

<snip>

I would take the cat to a feline specialist. Not to freak you out,
but could be skin cancer, especially if it "flares up" after exposure
to the sun - during sunnier weather (most skin cancers do not resolve,
so it may not be that, but I wouldn't rule it out without an exam).
Nose and ears are suspect places for cancers.

best of luck,
-L.

-L.
October 4th 03, 06:19 AM
Frank Klein > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> Frisky, my 11 year old female indoor cat, has developed a series of
> small sores on her nose.

<snip>

I would take the cat to a feline specialist. Not to freak you out,
but could be skin cancer, especially if it "flares up" after exposure
to the sun - during sunnier weather (most skin cancers do not resolve,
so it may not be that, but I wouldn't rule it out without an exam).
Nose and ears are suspect places for cancers.

best of luck,
-L.

Frank Klein
October 4th 03, 08:28 AM
John Kimmel wrote:

> One of my cats gets the same thing on nose and ears every summer. This
> year it started in May, and it cleared up last month. None of the other
> local cats are affected.

> Here's how I figured out it was mosquito bites:

Thanks. After I saw the images you linked, and the info from Cornell, I
checked Frisky's ears, and she does have one scab on the left ear, and
you can see a bald spot on the front edge of her right ear in the image
I linked too. It seems to be the same thing that your cat has, but not
as severe (yet). I guess the vet's phone diagnosis was correct. I sent
the same letter I posted to this newsgroup to a few cat lovers I know
too, and one sent me a link to a page containing this image:

http://www.fabcats.org/images/EOS4.JPEG

Not only does that look like what my cat has, it looks like my cat! It
is interesting that all of the cats with this seem to be black, even
though the article from Cornell says that it happens in cats of all coat
colors.

The caption from the fabcats site indicates again that it is mosquito
bites that are causing this. All the signs indicate mosquito bite
hypersensitivity is probably Frisky's problem. So now the question is
one of what to do. The vet suggested children's OFF bug repellent...
how would I apply it? To her back like those flea repellents, so she
can't lick it off? And is it safe to put hydrocortisone cream on her
nose to help stop the histamine response and let it heal?

I will take her to the vet if necessary, but the poor little kitty is
one of those skittish cats, and she gets so upset (terrified is more
like it) when I take her out of the house... I prefer not to do that to
her if I don't have to. But her health is my primary concern, so I will
if I need to.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank Klein
October 4th 03, 08:28 AM

John Kimmel wrote:

> One of my cats gets the same thing on nose and ears every summer. This
> year it started in May, and it cleared up last month. None of the other
> local cats are affected.

> Here's how I figured out it was mosquito bites:

Thanks. After I saw the images you linked, and the info from Cornell, I
checked Frisky's ears, and she does have one scab on the left ear, and
you can see a bald spot on the front edge of her right ear in the image
I linked too. It seems to be the same thing that your cat has, but not
as severe (yet). I guess the vet's phone diagnosis was correct. I sent
the same letter I posted to this newsgroup to a few cat lovers I know
too, and one sent me a link to a page containing this image:

http://www.fabcats.org/images/EOS4.JPEG

Not only does that look like what my cat has, it looks like my cat! It
is interesting that all of the cats with this seem to be black, even
though the article from Cornell says that it happens in cats of all coat
colors.

The caption from the fabcats site indicates again that it is mosquito
bites that are causing this. All the signs indicate mosquito bite
hypersensitivity is probably Frisky's problem. So now the question is
one of what to do. The vet suggested children's OFF bug repellent...
how would I apply it? To her back like those flea repellents, so she
can't lick it off? And is it safe to put hydrocortisone cream on her
nose to help stop the histamine response and let it heal?

I will take her to the vet if necessary, but the poor little kitty is
one of those skittish cats, and she gets so upset (terrified is more
like it) when I take her out of the house... I prefer not to do that to
her if I don't have to. But her health is my primary concern, so I will
if I need to.

Thanks,
Frank

Karen
October 4th 03, 03:54 PM
in article ,
Frank Klein at wrote on 10/4/03 2:28 AM:

> John Kimmel wrote:
>
>> One of my cats gets the same thing on nose and ears every summer. This
>> year it started in May, and it cleared up last month. None of the other
>> local cats are affected.

>> Here's how I figured out it was mosquito bites:
>
> Thanks. After I saw the images you linked, and the info from Cornell, I
> checked Frisky's ears, and she does have one scab on the left ear, and
> you can see a bald spot on the front edge of her right ear in the image
> I linked too. It seems to be the same thing that your cat has, but not
> as severe (yet). I guess the vet's phone diagnosis was correct. I sent
> the same letter I posted to this newsgroup to a few cat lovers I know
> too, and one sent me a link to a page containing this image:
>
> http://www.fabcats.org/images/EOS4.JPEG
>
> Not only does that look like what my cat has, it looks like my cat! It
> is interesting that all of the cats with this seem to be black, even
> though the article from Cornell says that it happens in cats of all coat
> colors.
>
> The caption from the fabcats site indicates again that it is mosquito
> bites that are causing this. All the signs indicate mosquito bite
> hypersensitivity is probably Frisky's problem. So now the question is
> one of what to do. The vet suggested children's OFF bug repellent...
> how would I apply it? To her back like those flea repellents, so she
> can't lick it off? And is it safe to put hydrocortisone cream on her
> nose to help stop the histamine response and let it heal?
>
> I will take her to the vet if necessary, but the poor little kitty is
> one of those skittish cats, and she gets so upset (terrified is more
> like it) when I take her out of the house... I prefer not to do that to
> her if I don't have to. But her health is my primary concern, so I will
> if I need to.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Here is an article on that condition from Drs. Foster and Smith. Sounds like
you need to keep kitty in for the most part.

http://www.peteducation.com:80/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1332&articleid=194

I think you should take her in to the vet to be examined and possibly for a
shot.

Karen

> [...]

> how would I apply it? To her back like those flea repellents, so she
> can't lick it off? And is it safe to put hydrocortisone cream on her
> nose to help stop the histamine response and let it heal?
>
> I will take her to the vet if necessary, but the poor little kitty is
> one of those skittish cats, and she gets so upset (terrified is more
> like it) when I take her out of the house... I prefer not to do that to
> her if I don't have to. But her health is my primary concern, so I will
> if I need to.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Here is an article on that condition from Drs. Foster and Smith. Sounds like
you need to keep kitty in for the most part.

http://www.peteducation.com:80/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1332&articleid=194

I think you should take her in to the vet to be examined and possibly for a

October 4th 03, 09:23 PM
Portland, OR. It looks bad, but it doesn't seem to bother him much.

MacCandace wrote:

> Wow, your poor kitty looked awful in those pics. I wonder why some cats are so
> susceptible and others are not. It must itch like crazy. What part of the
> country are you from?
>
> Candace
> (take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

--
John Kimmel

Sometimes "nothin'" is a mighty cool hand.