PDA

View Full Version : Cat show in NYC this weekend

dgk
October 8th 03, 08:01 PM
I might go since it's supposed to rain on Sunday and wipe out the
planned bike trip. It's at Madison Square Garden. No TV though. Costs
$13 to get in with the $2 off coupon. $8 if a senior (person, not
cat). There are supposed to be free samples of food. Maybe some neat
toys. I can't wait to see folks try to lead them around on a leash. Oh
right, that's the dog show.

Barb 1
October 9th 03, 01:01 AM
Brings back memories. I attended that show in 1963 and bought my Siamese
kitten Bandi there. She was a pet quality as opposed to show quality but to
me she was top quality. She accompanied me through career, marriage and
motherhood and many different homes.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Barb 1
October 9th 03, 01:01 AM
Brings back memories. I attended that show in 1963 and bought my Siamese
kitten Bandi there. She was a pet quality as opposed to show quality but to
me she was top quality. She accompanied me through career, marriage and
motherhood and many different homes.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Riceps
October 9th 03, 02:56 PM
Hi Barb,

Aren't Siamese the absolute best! My big guy recently lost his fight to
diabetes and I miss him so terribly. He was more human than cat. My whole
day and night was filled with love from him and for him. Poor fellow was
only 9 years old but couldn't have been loved more.

Riceps
October 9th 03, 02:56 PM
Hi Barb,

Aren't Siamese the absolute best! My big guy recently lost his fight to
diabetes and I miss him so terribly. He was more human than cat. My whole
day and night was filled with love from him and for him. Poor fellow was
only 9 years old but couldn't have been loved more.

Barb 1
October 9th 03, 06:17 PM
Siamese are indeed wonderful but maybe due to a lot if inbreeding my Bandi
died at 11 and then 2 brother Siamese died at 7 and another died at 3 of
feline leukemia (before they had the shot for that.

My cats are indoor and always had good vet care and eventually I got a black
cat and now have 3. They are wonderful, too!

--
Barb

Barb 1
October 9th 03, 06:17 PM
Siamese are indeed wonderful but maybe due to a lot if inbreeding my Bandi
died at 11 and then 2 brother Siamese died at 7 and another died at 3 of
feline leukemia (before they had the shot for that.

My cats are indoor and always had good vet care and eventually I got a black
cat and now have 3. They are wonderful, too!

--
Barb

Riceps
October 9th 03, 06:38 PM
That's horrible that your Siamese all died at an early age. I wondered
about the purebred aspect of it. I never had a purebred before. I also did
everything I thought was right in order to keep my cat healthy...vets
regularly, shots, so-called premium foods, kept them indoors. I'm doing
lots of research now and finding maybe I didn't do everything correctly.
Maybe it's just guilt. I don't know. The vet told me his diabetes was
probably genetic. Who knows.

Our remaining cat is a "just a cat." But a sweet one. With no signs of
illness.

Riceps
October 9th 03, 06:38 PM
That's horrible that your Siamese all died at an early age. I wondered
about the purebred aspect of it. I never had a purebred before. I also did
everything I thought was right in order to keep my cat healthy...vets
regularly, shots, so-called premium foods, kept them indoors. I'm doing
lots of research now and finding maybe I didn't do everything correctly.
Maybe it's just guilt. I don't know. The vet told me his diabetes was
probably genetic. Who knows.

Our remaining cat is a "just a cat." But a sweet one. With no signs of
illness.

Yngver
October 9th 03, 06:50 PM
Riceps" > wrote:

>That's horrible that your Siamese all died at an early age. I wondered
>about the purebred aspect of it. I never had a purebred before. I also did
>everything I thought was right in order to keep my cat healthy...vets
>regularly, shots, so-called premium foods, kept them indoors. I'm doing
>lots of research now and finding maybe I didn't do everything correctly.
>Maybe it's just guilt. I don't know. The vet told me his diabetes was
>probably genetic. Who knows.
>
>Our remaining cat is a "just a cat." But a sweet one. With no signs of
>illness.

You know, even general statistics on a particular breed of cat, if you could
find them, will not predict the lifespan of your own cat. Many people seem to
have the opinion that Siamese cats are generally long-lived--possibly that has
been their own experience. Diabetes can occur in any breed of cat, after all.

Yngver
October 9th 03, 06:50 PM
Riceps" > wrote:

>That's horrible that your Siamese all died at an early age. I wondered
>about the purebred aspect of it. I never had a purebred before. I also did
>everything I thought was right in order to keep my cat healthy...vets
>regularly, shots, so-called premium foods, kept them indoors. I'm doing
>lots of research now and finding maybe I didn't do everything correctly.
>Maybe it's just guilt. I don't know. The vet told me his diabetes was
>probably genetic. Who knows.
>
>Our remaining cat is a "just a cat." But a sweet one. With no signs of
>illness.

You know, even general statistics on a particular breed of cat, if you could
find them, will not predict the lifespan of your own cat. Many people seem to
have the opinion that Siamese cats are generally long-lived--possibly that has
been their own experience. Diabetes can occur in any breed of cat, after all.

Riceps
October 9th 03, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I didn't have the impression that Siamese were long-lived anymore than any
other cat. I suppose I merely wished that to be the case. He just seemed
much too young to be so sick. And I do understand that diabetes or any
other illness can occur in any breed. But I wonder if that breed (or any
other breed) is more susceptible to specific diseases as opposed to a
domestic short hair (moggy).

Riceps
October 9th 03, 07:45 PM
Hi,

I didn't have the impression that Siamese were long-lived anymore than any
other cat. I suppose I merely wished that to be the case. He just seemed
much too young to be so sick. And I do understand that diabetes or any
other illness can occur in any breed. But I wonder if that breed (or any
other breed) is more susceptible to specific diseases as opposed to a
domestic short hair (moggy).

Yngver
October 9th 03, 10:36 PM
Riceps" wrote:

>I didn't have the impression that Siamese were long-lived anymore than any
>other cat. I suppose I merely wished that to be the case.

They are generally considered to be longer-lived than average, but that may
refer more to traditional Siamese.

He just seemed
>much too young to be so sick. And I do understand that diabetes or any
>other illness can occur in any breed. But I wonder if that breed (or any
>other breed) is more susceptible to specific diseases as opposed to a
>domestic short hair (moggy).

You can find various lists of possible health issues associated with various
breeds, but I haven't come across one that lists diabetes as especially
associated with Siamese cats.

Yngver
October 9th 03, 10:36 PM
Riceps" wrote:

>I didn't have the impression that Siamese were long-lived anymore than any
>other cat. I suppose I merely wished that to be the case.

They are generally considered to be longer-lived than average, but that may
refer more to traditional Siamese.

He just seemed
>much too young to be so sick. And I do understand that diabetes or any
>other illness can occur in any breed. But I wonder if that breed (or any
>other breed) is more susceptible to specific diseases as opposed to a
>domestic short hair (moggy).

You can find various lists of possible health issues associated with various
breeds, but I haven't come across one that lists diabetes as especially
associated with Siamese cats.

Barb 1
October 10th 03, 05:02 PM
I have heard of a Siamese living to be 23. In general they often get the
very best of care but then my cats always do, too. Feline leukemia is
highly contagious and back when, the vet didn't tell me not to get another
cat for a while after losing one to that disease.

When I read in the newspaper while cooking dinner that they had a vaccine
for it I turned off the stove and ran right out to the vet who tested my
black cat. She was negative and so was given the shot.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Barb 1
October 10th 03, 05:02 PM
I have heard of a Siamese living to be 23. In general they often get the
very best of care but then my cats always do, too. Feline leukemia is
highly contagious and back when, the vet didn't tell me not to get another
cat for a while after losing one to that disease.

When I read in the newspaper while cooking dinner that they had a vaccine
for it I turned off the stove and ran right out to the vet who tested my
black cat. She was negative and so was given the shot.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Cat Protector
October 10th 03, 06:40 PM
I think all cats are cool but I especially like the Bombays. I am lucky
enough to have one in my household.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Riceps" > wrote in message
> Hi Barb,
>
> Aren't Siamese the absolute best! My big guy recently lost his fight to
> diabetes and I miss him so terribly. He was more human than cat. My
whole
> day and night was filled with love from him and for him. Poor fellow was
> only 9 years old but couldn't have been loved more.

PawsForThought
October 12th 03, 02:57 PM
>From: "Riceps"

>That's horrible that your Siamese all died at an early age. I wondered
>about the purebred aspect of it. I never had a purebred before. I also did
>everything I thought was right in order to keep my cat healthy...vets
>regularly, shots, so-called premium foods, kept them indoors. I'm doing
>lots of research now and finding maybe I didn't do everything correctly.
>Maybe it's just guilt. I don't know. The vet told me his diabetes was
>probably genetic. Who knows.

It's possible. I'm really sorry for your loss. I had a wonderful Siamese
growing up. She was the old-fashioned apple head, I believe it's called. I
have a pic of her on my webpage linked in my sig. After losing cats to chronic
disease, I started looking into another way of raising them. You might find
this page interesting. It does make you think:
http://www.blakkatz.com/

Lauren
________

PawsForThought