PDA

View Full Version : A question on cats and new people

Rich A.
October 9th 03, 07:52 PM
Hello,

I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking of
adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in over a
decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend in about 9
months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the presence of a
new person.

Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a cat
that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that my cat
would resent her as well.

Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

kaeli
October 9th 03, 08:27 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Hello,
<snip>
> Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

Perhaps she should adopt the cat.

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
October 9th 03, 08:27 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Hello,
<snip>
> Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

Perhaps she should adopt the cat.

~kaeli~
Jesus saves, Allah protects, and Cthulhu
thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Iso
October 9th 03, 10:05 PM
Why don't you first move in, then see how she feels regarding having a pet.
Who knows, she may be allergic to cats, or really despise having a pet in
general. I wouldn't want to hear that you adopted a kitten, moved in and had
to get rid of the kitten because she doesn't like cats or for some
elementary reason. Just don't jump the gun, not yet. I say hold off and see
how things go once you move in. Just don't force the issue. There will
always be a cute kitten for you to adopt.

"Rich A." > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking of
> adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in over a
> decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend in about 9
> months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the presence of a
> new person.
>
> Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
> adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a cat
> that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that my cat
> would resent her as well.
>
> Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

Iso
October 9th 03, 10:05 PM
Why don't you first move in, then see how she feels regarding having a pet.
Who knows, she may be allergic to cats, or really despise having a pet in
general. I wouldn't want to hear that you adopted a kitten, moved in and had
to get rid of the kitten because she doesn't like cats or for some
elementary reason. Just don't jump the gun, not yet. I say hold off and see
how things go once you move in. Just don't force the issue. There will
always be a cute kitten for you to adopt.

"Rich A." > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking of
> adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in over a
> decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend in about 9
> months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the presence of a
> new person.
>
> Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
> adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a cat
> that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that my cat
> would resent her as well.
>
> Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

BarB
October 9th 03, 10:22 PM
On 9 Oct 2003 11:52:29 -0700, (Rich A.) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking of
>adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in over a
>decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend in about 9
>months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the presence of a
>new person.
>
>Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
>adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a cat
>that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that my cat
>would resent her as well.
>

>Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

If you were honest in your application and told us what you have said
here, the rescue group I work with would deny your application.:( Do
not adopt without your girlfriend's approval. Take her with you to play
with cats up for adoption. If she is hesitant, it just isn't going to
work. Save the poor animal from having to be abandoned again.

BarB

BarB
October 9th 03, 10:22 PM
On 9 Oct 2003 11:52:29 -0700, (Rich A.) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking of
>adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in over a
>decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend in about 9
>months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the presence of a
>new person.
>
>Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
>adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a cat
>that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that my cat
>would resent her as well.
>

>Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

If you were honest in your application and told us what you have said
here, the rescue group I work with would deny your application.:( Do
not adopt without your girlfriend's approval. Take her with you to play
with cats up for adoption. If she is hesitant, it just isn't going to
work. Save the poor animal from having to be abandoned again.

BarB

Kuisse0002
October 9th 03, 11:00 PM
First - Don't take on a cat whatever you do.

Second - Work on your relationship with your girlfriend first.

You mentioned you wanted a cat for company but you're taking on a girlfriend!!

Then you're moving in to a new place...

Are you nuts? You have so many on your plate to work with and you don't need
another area of concern.

A cat is not an inanimate object where you can pick it up and place it at the
window. To care for a cat is like caring for another human being. Don't do
anything with animals until you are settled in your palce and your partner
agrees with you. never guess what or how she will take to a new animal in her
place.

Kuisse0002
October 9th 03, 11:00 PM
First - Don't take on a cat whatever you do.

Second - Work on your relationship with your girlfriend first.

You mentioned you wanted a cat for company but you're taking on a girlfriend!!

Then you're moving in to a new place...

Are you nuts? You have so many on your plate to work with and you don't need
another area of concern.

A cat is not an inanimate object where you can pick it up and place it at the
window. To care for a cat is like caring for another human being. Don't do
anything with animals until you are settled in your palce and your partner
agrees with you. never guess what or how she will take to a new animal in her
place.

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 03:22 AM
In om,
Rich A. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Hello,
>
> I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking
> of adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in
> over a decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend
> in about 9 months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the
> presence of a new person.
>
> Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
> adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a
> cat that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that
> my cat would resent her as well.
>
> Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

"Never trust a woman who does not like cats"
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 03:22 AM
In om,
Rich A. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Hello,
>
> I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking
> of adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in
> over a decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend
> in about 9 months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the
> presence of a new person.
>
> Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
> adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a
> cat that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that
> my cat would resent her as well.
>
> Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

"Never trust a woman who does not like cats"
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Aphrodite's Cat
October 10th 03, 08:48 AM
Don't adopt the cat until you and your girlfriend are sure that she won't
mind you having one. If it's okay with her landlord and yours, take her
with you if you decide to adopt one. You're going to want a cat that both
of you like and you both get along with.

If your girlfriend's in a flat and renting, make sure that when it's time to
move in that it's alright with the landlord to own a pet- you might have to
pay a pet deposit.

If you do end up with a fuzzy puddy-tat, have the cat get used to your
girlfriend and bring the cat with you when you go. When you move in, the
cat will already have a feel of the place and not get too stressed. I've
found that with my foster kittens, they're just at ease with my local SPCA
as they are with my own house and they're also at ease with riding in my
car.

Or better yet, wait till you're going to move in with your partner and then
get a cat.

HTH.
--
Aphrodite's Cat
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Rich A." > wrote in message
om...
> Hello,
>
> I'm living in an apartment, by myself, for a year. I am thinking of
> adopting a cat to keep me company (and I haven't had a pet in over a
> decade!). However, I plan on moving in with my girlfriend in about 9
> months, and am wondering if a cat would be upset by the presence of a
> new person.
>
> Note that *I* am moving in with *her*, so the cat will also have to
> adjust to a new home simultaneously. My girlfriend grew up with a cat
> that hated her, so she's not too keen on the possibility that my cat
> would resent her as well.
>
> Good/bad idea? Should I wait until next year to adopt a cat?

---

[...]

om...