PDA

View Full Version : Distilled water and cats

Riceps
October 9th 03, 08:22 PM
Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I just
bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We also have a
water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening process. Which
water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened very hard
well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's the
distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Iso
October 9th 03, 09:59 PM
Distilled water is known as "empty water". All good minerals, all bacteria
and pathogens of all kinds do not exist in the distilled water that is a
result of steamed distilled water. When your cat consumes distilled water,
the water molecules will attach themselves to minerals and electrolytes in
the body. When your cat urinates all of these good items go OUT of the body.

When your cat is in need of getting toxins out of its body, distilled water
is a good drink because it aids de-toxing. The empty molecules attach
themselves to toxins and help clean the filtering systems in the body right
along with the Hemotox and Metaltox and in fact, accelerate the de-toxing
process.

Try drinking one or two glasses of distilled water in place of aspirin for a
headache. It really works because it thins the blood. You don't want to do
this everyday, but it is good for a change and works.

If you prefer to use distilled water on a daily basis, then it is essential
that you add back in to your pet's water diet, the minerals and electrolytes
that are being flushed out. What we have for this situation is Concentrated
Trace Minerals and our Feline Vita Pak.

"Riceps" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I just
> bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We also have
> water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening process. Which
> water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened very hard
> well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's the
> distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any enlightenment.

---MIKE---
October 9th 03, 11:20 PM
I also have well water that contains a lot of iron. If I used that in
my drinkwell, it would be a dirty brown color by now so I use spring
water. Incidentally, I take Fosamax once a week. I am supposed to
drink at least 200ml of water with the pill. They don't recommend hard
water or mineral water so I use distilled water to take the pill.

-MIKE

---MIKE---
October 9th 03, 11:20 PM
I also have well water that contains a lot of iron. If I used that in
my drinkwell, it would be a dirty brown color by now so I use spring
water. Incidentally, I take Fosamax once a week. I am supposed to
drink at least 200ml of water with the pill. They don't recommend hard
water or mineral water so I use distilled water to take the pill.

-MIKE

Cheryl
October 9th 03, 11:22 PM
In om,
Iso > composed with style:

> If you prefer to use distilled water on a daily basis, then it is
> essential that you add back in to your pet's water diet, the
> minerals and electrolytes that are being flushed out. What we have
> for this situation is Concentrated Trace Minerals and our Feline
> Vita Pak.

Interesting info. I've heard about trying distilled water, possibly
for my IBD cat. What is Feline Vita Pak, and are you a sales rep or
something for them? Thanks.

Cheryl
October 9th 03, 11:22 PM
In om,
Iso > composed with style:

> If you prefer to use distilled water on a daily basis, then it is
> essential that you add back in to your pet's water diet, the
> minerals and electrolytes that are being flushed out. What we have
> for this situation is Concentrated Trace Minerals and our Feline
> Vita Pak.

Interesting info. I've heard about trying distilled water, possibly
for my IBD cat. What is Feline Vita Pak, and are you a sales rep or
something for them? Thanks.

Mike Romain
October 9th 03, 11:28 PM
I had two different friends that ended up in the hospital in severe
trouble because they were vegetarians and thought distilled water was
the best for them.

They both had mental disorders because of all the minerals and
electrolytes the distilled water sucked out of their system. One was
bad enough the police had to take her in because she was too violent for
an ambulance.

Once they got re-hydrated and mineral/ electrolyte dosed via IV, they
were fine with a hard lesson learned.

I tried to tell them, but coming from a meat eater, they didn't want to
listen or believe me for a second....

Distilled water as the only water intake can kill humans. They even
taught us that back in high school chemistry in the 70's.

I have a water cooler and the makers recommend one bottle of distilled
water every six months to clean the mineral build up from the spring
water out of the machine. They say the distilled bottle will pick up
enough minerals from the machine so as to not harm the drinkers over the
use of one bottle every six months.

Mike

Riceps wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I just
> bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We also have a
> water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening process. Which
> water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened very hard
> well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's the
> distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any enlightenment.

JLove98905
October 10th 03, 02:55 AM
I work in a lab at MIT and the management considered putting in a reverse
osmosis distilled water system for employees to drink. This didn't go over very
well among the scientific staff.

This system removes all of the ions, minerals, etc, from the water and it ends
up being a lot like super-distilled water. When this water is consumed and
applied to the body's cells, the environment for the cells is said to be
"hyptonic." This means that the ionic concentrations are lower outside the cell
than inside (undertonic, if you will). In an effort to maintain equilibrium,
water rushes into the cells and can cause them to explode. The ions and
minerals in the water are therefore essential to the health of the drinker for
daily consumption and cooking, etc. I found the idea of using deionized water
to detoxify or cure a hangover very interesting, though. I'll have to give that
a try! I wouldn't make it a daily habit, though, as was mentioned before.
Perhaps you could run your hard water through a Brita filter or something like
that, to filter out some but not all of the ions?
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

[...]

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 03:22 AM
In ,
---MIKE--- > being of bellicose mind posted:
> I also have well water that contains a lot of iron. If I used
> that in my drinkwell, it would be a dirty brown color by now so I
> use spring water. Incidentally, I take Fosamax once a week. I am
> supposed to drink at least 200ml of water with the pill. They
> don't recommend hard water or mineral water so I use distilled
> water to take the pill.
>

> -MIKE

My rheumatologist tried me on Fosamax to attempt offsetting bone loss
due to short term high dose oral Prednisone. The Fosamax wreaked
havok on my already weakened esophagus. Ultimately, I took the
Prednisone with whole milk and luckily, my bone density only dipped a
point over 5 months.
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 03:22 AM
In ,
---MIKE--- > being of bellicose mind posted:
> I also have well water that contains a lot of iron. If I used
> that in my drinkwell, it would be a dirty brown color by now so I
> use spring water. Incidentally, I take Fosamax once a week. I am
> supposed to drink at least 200ml of water with the pill. They
> don't recommend hard water or mineral water so I use distilled
> water to take the pill.
>

> -MIKE

My rheumatologist tried me on Fosamax to attempt offsetting bone loss
due to short term high dose oral Prednisone. The Fosamax wreaked
havok on my already weakened esophagus. Ultimately, I took the
Prednisone with whole milk and luckily, my bone density only dipped a
point over 5 months.
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Iso
October 10th 03, 03:44 AM
I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV. I was privy to some test results a
few years back when I was working on my PhD. Vita Pak is a powdered
substance. You add 1/8 teaspoon per pint of water daily, or it can be added
to the soft food daily. It's an all-natural product and is a combination of
vitamins and macro-minerals like calcium, magnesium, etc. designed for
primarily adult cats. Vita Paks have been formulated for cats of all breeds
and sizes, are around $15, and will treat 50 gallons of water. This comes
out to 40 cents per gallon of water. Results do vary... You may notice a
difference at the liter box, if you know what I mean!

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> In om,
> Iso > composed with style:
>

> > If you prefer to use distilled water on a daily basis, then it is
> > essential that you add back in to your pet's water diet, the
> > minerals and electrolytes that are being flushed out. What we have
> > for this situation is Concentrated Trace Minerals and our Feline
> > Vita Pak.
>
> Interesting info. I've heard about trying distilled water, possibly
> for my IBD cat. What is Feline Vita Pak, and are you a sales rep or
> something for them? Thanks.

-L.
October 10th 03, 04:15 AM
Mike Romain > wrote in message >...
> I had two different friends that ended up in the hospital in severe
> trouble because they were vegetarians and thought distilled water was
> the best for them.

If one has a complete and balanced diet, distilled water is perfectly
fine to drink.

-L.

-L.
October 10th 03, 04:15 AM
Mike Romain > wrote in message >...
> I had two different friends that ended up in the hospital in severe
> trouble because they were vegetarians and thought distilled water was
> the best for them.

If one has a complete and balanced diet, distilled water is perfectly
fine to drink.

-L.

William Hamblen
October 10th 03, 05:47 AM
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:22:32 GMT, "Riceps" >
wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I just
>bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We also have a
>water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening process. Which
>water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened very hard
>well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's the
>distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Many water softeners work by exchanging sodium ions for the calcium
and magnesium ions that make water hard, so softened water can contain
more sodium than is good for the animal (or the people) to drink, but
doesn't hurt when washing or bathing. Some water softeners work on a
different principle and don't increase the sodium. Check the
instruction book for your unit.

Old Doctor Griffith once told me he thought that hard water promoted
FUS because of the magnesium dissolved in the water, and FUS does vary
geographically. The water is hard here and vets see a lot of FUSy
cats.

Some people claim that distilled water washes the minerals out of your
body owing to the lack of dissolved minerals, but the minerals in body
fluids are more concentrated than the minerals in any drinking water,
so all water would wash away minerals by that line of reasoning. In
plain fact, healthy bodies human or feline do a good job of regulating
minerals when adequately nourished.

The only thing I can say definitely is that if your water softener is
one that exchanges sodium for calcium and magnesium I would avoid
drinking softened water.

wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I just
>bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We also have a
>water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening process. Which
>water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened very hard
>well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's the
>distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Many water softeners work by exchanging sodium ions for the calcium
and magnesium ions that make water hard, so softened water can contain
more sodium than is good for the animal (or the people) to drink, but
doesn't hurt when washing or bathing. Some water softeners work on a
different principle and don't increase the sodium. Check the
instruction book for your unit.

Old Doctor Griffith once told me he thought that hard water promoted
FUS because of the magnesium dissolved in the water, and FUS does vary
geographically. The water is hard here and vets see a lot of FUSy
cats.

Some people claim that distilled water washes the minerals out of your
body owing to the lack of dissolved minerals, but the minerals in body
fluids are more concentrated than the minerals in any drinking water,
so all water would wash away minerals by that line of reasoning. In
plain fact, healthy bodies human or feline do a good job of regulating
minerals when adequately nourished.

The only thing I can say definitely is that if your water softener is
one that exchanges sodium for calcium and magnesium I would avoid
drinking softened water.

rrb_091903
October 10th 03, 07:36 AM
Riceps wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I just
> bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We also have a
> water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening process. Which
> water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened very hard
> well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's the
> distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Hello. Regardless of what anyone else *may* have told you. To be sure
you have to have each water source tested independanty. In general
minerals can be bad for your cat - especially if your water contains
high levels of magnesium, calcium, or phosphates. The calcium/phosphate
ratio is also of importance I have heard. Distilled water contains fewer
minerals but short of testing the water no certainty can be determined.

rrb_091903
October 10th 03, 07:36 AM
Riceps wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I just
> bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We also have a
> water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening process. Which
> water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened very hard
> well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's the
> distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Hello. Regardless of what anyone else *may* have told you. To be sure
you have to have each water source tested independanty. In general
minerals can be bad for your cat - especially if your water contains
high levels of magnesium, calcium, or phosphates. The calcium/phosphate
ratio is also of importance I have heard. Distilled water contains fewer
minerals but short of testing the water no certainty can be determined.

-L.
October 10th 03, 09:31 AM
"Iso" > wrote in message >...
> I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV. I was privy to some test results a
> few years back when I was working on my PhD. Vita Pak is a powdered
> substance. You add 1/8 teaspoon per pint of water daily, or it can be added
> to the soft food daily. It's an all-natural product and is a combination of
> vitamins and macro-minerals like calcium, magnesium, etc. designed for
> primarily adult cats. Vita Paks have been formulated for cats of all breeds
> and sizes, are around $15, and will treat 50 gallons of water. This comes
> out to 40 cents per gallon of water. Results do vary... You may notice a
> difference at the liter box, if you know what I mean!

Where do you get this stuff?

-L.

-L.
October 10th 03, 09:31 AM
"Iso" > wrote in message >...
> I'm not a vet, nor do I play one on TV. I was privy to some test results a
> few years back when I was working on my PhD. Vita Pak is a powdered
> substance. You add 1/8 teaspoon per pint of water daily, or it can be added
> to the soft food daily. It's an all-natural product and is a combination of
> vitamins and macro-minerals like calcium, magnesium, etc. designed for
> primarily adult cats. Vita Paks have been formulated for cats of all breeds
> and sizes, are around $15, and will treat 50 gallons of water. This comes
> out to 40 cents per gallon of water. Results do vary... You may notice a
> difference at the liter box, if you know what I mean!

Where do you get this stuff?

-L.

Mary
October 10th 03, 02:39 PM
On the other hand, alley cats drinking rainwater from gutters live to
ripe old ages some times. Let's get real here. Distilled vs tap water?
If your local water analysis says it is safe for you it is fine for
your cat. Jeeze, people.

"rrb_091903" > wrote in message
> Riceps wrote:
>
> > Can anyone tell me if distilled water is good or bad for cats? I
just
> > bought a Drinkwell fountain. We have very hard well water. We
also have a
> > water softener with one faucet that bypasses the softening
process. Which
> > water is better for my cat...the softened water, the unsoftened
very hard
> > well water, or distilled water? From my research, I THINK it's
the
> > distilled but you all are the experts. Thanks for any
enlightenment.

> Hello. Regardless of what anyone else *may* have told you. To be
sure
> you have to have each water source tested independanty. In general
> minerals can be bad for your cat - especially if your water contains
> high levels of magnesium, calcium, or phosphates. The
calcium/phosphate
> ratio is also of importance I have heard. Distilled water contains
fewer
> minerals but short of testing the water no certainty can be
determined.

Riceps
October 10th 03, 04:54 PM
Sorry if my question offended you. I would venture to say there are many
things that I can eat or drink that would NOT be safe for my cat. I asked
the question because I was hoping not to clog the fountain with lots of
mineral deposits, etc, from our hard water but without giving the cat
something harmful. I always thought "there's no such thing as a stupid
question."

And I doubt that very many alley cats live to ripe old ages for many reasons
including drinking filthy gutter water.

Riceps
October 10th 03, 04:54 PM
Sorry if my question offended you. I would venture to say there are many
things that I can eat or drink that would NOT be safe for my cat. I asked
the question because I was hoping not to clog the fountain with lots of
mineral deposits, etc, from our hard water but without giving the cat
something harmful. I always thought "there's no such thing as a stupid
question."

And I doubt that very many alley cats live to ripe old ages for many reasons
including drinking filthy gutter water.

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 05:52 PM
In m,
-L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Mike Romain > wrote in message
> > I had two different friends that ended up in the hospital in
> > severe trouble because they were vegetarians and thought
> > distilled water was the best for them.
>
> If one has a complete and balanced diet, distilled water is
> perfectly
> fine to drink.
>
> -L.

From the posts in this thread, it would appear that distilled water
would leach out essential minerals from a balanced diet, rendering it
imbalanced. What did I miss?
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 05:52 PM
In m,
-L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> Mike Romain > wrote in message
> > I had two different friends that ended up in the hospital in
> > severe trouble because they were vegetarians and thought
> > distilled water was the best for them.
>
> If one has a complete and balanced diet, distilled water is
> perfectly
> fine to drink.
>
> -L.

From the posts in this thread, it would appear that distilled water
would leach out essential minerals from a balanced diet, rendering it
imbalanced. What did I miss?
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 05:52 PM
In m,
Mary > being of bellicose mind posted:
> On the other hand, alley cats drinking rainwater from gutters live
> to ripe old ages some times. Let's get real here. Distilled vs tap
> water? If your local water analysis says it is safe for you it is
> fine for your cat. Jeeze, people.

I am inclined to agree (with the exception of places where chloramine
is used in place of chlorine). I live in southern CA where tap water
is decidedly "hard" and in nearly 60 yrs of having cats in and out of
my life, have never had one experience a urinary stoppage.

--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
October 10th 03, 05:52 PM
In m,
Mary > being of bellicose mind posted:
> On the other hand, alley cats drinking rainwater from gutters live
> to ripe old ages some times. Let's get real here. Distilled vs tap
> water? If your local water analysis says it is safe for you it is
> fine for your cat. Jeeze, people.

I am inclined to agree (with the exception of places where chloramine
is used in place of chlorine). I live in southern CA where tap water
is decidedly "hard" and in nearly 60 yrs of having cats in and out of
my life, have never had one experience a urinary stoppage.

--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

guynoir
October 11th 03, 06:55 AM
References. Like this one:
http://www.cyber-nook.com/water/distilledwater.htm

> From the posts in this thread, it would appear that distilled water
> would leach out essential minerals from a balanced diet, rendering it
> imbalanced. What did I miss?
> --
>
> ~~Philip "Never let school interfere
> with your education - Mark Twain"

guynoir
October 11th 03, 06:55 AM
References. Like this one:
http://www.cyber-nook.com/water/distilledwater.htm

> From the posts in this thread, it would appear that distilled water
> would leach out essential minerals from a balanced diet, rendering it
> imbalanced. What did I miss?
> --
>
> ~~Philip "Never let school interfere
> with your education - Mark Twain"

Sherry
October 12th 03, 07:26 AM
>Sorry if my question offended you. I would venture to say there are many
>things that I can eat or drink that would NOT be safe for my cat. I asked
>the question because I was hoping not to clog the fountain with lots of
>mineral deposits, etc, from our hard water but without giving the cat
>something harmful. I always thought "there's no such thing as a stupid
>question."
>
>And I doubt that very many alley cats live to ripe old ages for many reasons
>including drinking filthy gutter water.

Goodness, don't apologize. I thought the thread you started was very
interesting. And you're right, just like an iron gets clogged from minerals, so
would the water dispenser. Another thing it made me think about is, I do know a
man who has recurring kidney (or maybe bladder?) stones, and was instructed by
his MD to drink only distilled water. It wouuld seem logical that it's also a
good idea for *cats* who likewise havve urinary problems.

Sherry

Sherry
October 12th 03, 07:26 AM
>Sorry if my question offended you. I would venture to say there are many
>things that I can eat or drink that would NOT be safe for my cat. I asked
>the question because I was hoping not to clog the fountain with lots of
>mineral deposits, etc, from our hard water but without giving the cat
>something harmful. I always thought "there's no such thing as a stupid
>question."
>
>And I doubt that very many alley cats live to ripe old ages for many reasons
>including drinking filthy gutter water.

Goodness, don't apologize. I thought the thread you started was very
interesting. And you're right, just like an iron gets clogged from minerals, so
would the water dispenser. Another thing it made me think about is, I do know a
man who has recurring kidney (or maybe bladder?) stones, and was instructed by
his MD to drink only distilled water. It wouuld seem logical that it's also a
good idea for *cats* who likewise havve urinary problems.

Sherry

PawsForThought
October 12th 03, 04:56 PM
>From: (Sherry )

>Goodness, don't apologize. I thought the thread you started was very
>interesting. And you're right, just like an iron gets clogged from minerals,
>so
>would the water dispenser. Another thing it made me think about is, I do know
>man who has recurring kidney (or maybe bladder?) stones, and was instructed
>by
>his MD to drink only distilled water. It wouuld seem logical that it's also a
>good idea for *cats* who likewise havve urinary problems.

We use reverse osmosis water and then add in 1 oz of willard water to 1 gallon
of water. The willard water has fossilized organics in it that contain
minerals, as well as other ingredients. We've been using this for many, many
years and have never had a problem.

http://www.dr-willardswater.com/caw.html

Lauren
________