PDA

View Full Version : Outside pet warmer?

Rebecca B
October 10th 03, 10:03 AM
My cat Sully had a bad RTA about a year ago now, and we were told when we
got him from the RSPCA that in his older days and during winter (or damp
days) that he might feel his joints aching more than when it's nice and warm
(as he'll probably end up with arthritis when he's older).

Sully has got a plastic 'house' outside which he uses for shelter or when he
just fancies some fresh air, but not in the wind.

Anyway, with winter fast approaching here in the UK now (as the summer has
definitely gone now!) does anyone know of any websites or shops (in the UK
preferably) bed warmers which can be operated outside, as I've found indoor
only ones at the moment.

I know that you can get those gel pads which you warm up in the microwave,
but just wondered if theres something else I could use?

Becky

Priscilla Ballou
October 11th 03, 01:30 AM
In article >,
"Rebecca B" > wrote:

> My cat Sully had a bad RTA about a year ago now, and we were told when we
> got him from the RSPCA that in his older days and during winter (or damp
> days) that he might feel his joints aching more than when it's nice and warm
> (as he'll probably end up with arthritis when he's older).
>
> Sully has got a plastic 'house' outside which he uses for shelter or when he
> just fancies some fresh air, but not in the wind.
>
> Anyway, with winter fast approaching here in the UK now (as the summer has
> definitely gone now!) does anyone know of any websites or shops (in the UK
> preferably) bed warmers which can be operated outside, as I've found indoor
> only ones at the moment.
>
> I know that you can get those gel pads which you warm up in the microwave,
> but just wondered if theres something else I could use?

I bought a heated outdoor kennel pad for the shelter I put up for the
ferals in my yard. I got mine online. Search under "kennel pad" or
look for info in areas about doghouses (which is what their shelter is).

Priscilla

Priscilla Ballou
October 11th 03, 01:30 AM
In article >,
"Rebecca B" > wrote:

> My cat Sully had a bad RTA about a year ago now, and we were told when we
> got him from the RSPCA that in his older days and during winter (or damp
> days) that he might feel his joints aching more than when it's nice and warm
> (as he'll probably end up with arthritis when he's older).
>
> Sully has got a plastic 'house' outside which he uses for shelter or when he
> just fancies some fresh air, but not in the wind.
>
> Anyway, with winter fast approaching here in the UK now (as the summer has
> definitely gone now!) does anyone know of any websites or shops (in the UK
> preferably) bed warmers which can be operated outside, as I've found indoor
> only ones at the moment.
>
> I know that you can get those gel pads which you warm up in the microwave,
> but just wondered if theres something else I could use?

I bought a heated outdoor kennel pad for the shelter I put up for the
ferals in my yard. I got mine online. Search under "kennel pad" or
look for info in areas about doghouses (which is what their shelter is).

Priscilla

Fat Freddy
October 11th 03, 07:18 AM
> > Anyway, with winter fast approaching here in the UK now (as the summer has
> > definitely gone now!) does anyone know of any websites or shops (in the UK
> > preferably) bed warmers which can be operated outside, as I've found indoor
> > only ones at the moment.

I saw on on the Drs. Foster& Smith site. It can be used outdoors and
keeps the cat at normal body temperature.
Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/qjd8

You could probably find the same item in the UK.

Fat Freddy
October 11th 03, 07:18 AM
> > Anyway, with winter fast approaching here in the UK now (as the summer has
> > definitely gone now!) does anyone know of any websites or shops (in the UK
> > preferably) bed warmers which can be operated outside, as I've found indoor
> > only ones at the moment.

I saw on on the Drs. Foster& Smith site. It can be used outdoors and
keeps the cat at normal body temperature.
Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/qjd8

You could probably find the same item in the UK.

Priscilla Ballou
October 11th 03, 04:42 PM
In article >,
Fat Freddy > wrote:

> > > Anyway, with winter fast approaching here in the UK now (as the summer
> > > has
> > > definitely gone now!) does anyone know of any websites or shops (in the
> > > UK
> > > preferably) bed warmers which can be operated outside, as I've found
> > > indoor
> > > only ones at the moment.
>
> I saw on on the Drs. Foster& Smith site. It can be used outdoors and
> keeps the cat at normal body temperature.
> Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/qjd8
>
> You could probably find the same item in the UK.

That's precisely the same item I bought, only when I got it it was
labeled as a dog kennel heating pad! I guess they finally figured out
that cats would like it, too. The faux sheepskin cover is one sheet
with elastic bits to slip over the corners of the pad (which is rigid).
After I got it, I realized I could have thrown something together which
was just as good for far less (or nothing).

Priscilla

Priscilla Ballou
October 11th 03, 04:42 PM