PDA

View Full Version : wet or dry for kittens

dick
October 10th 03, 02:31 PM
A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth pushing
the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?

Mary
October 10th 03, 02:36 PM
It is a really bad idea to feed cats table scraps. He has different
nutritional needs than you do. Get him off of them right away. When
you take him to the vet, see what he or she recommends. As with
everything else, Usenet cat people are in two different (or is it
three?) camps on the wet vs dry vs raw issue. I feed mine a
combination of wet and dry, but had one cat live to age 20 on nothing
but Science Diet dry for the last ten years of her life. Canned gave
her diarrhea. (sp.) P.S.--Bless you for adopting a stray! Hope you two
have lots of happy years!

"dick" > wrote in message
om...
> A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
> doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth
pushing
> the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?

Mary
October 10th 03, 02:36 PM
It is a really bad idea to feed cats table scraps. He has different
nutritional needs than you do. Get him off of them right away. When
you take him to the vet, see what he or she recommends. As with
everything else, Usenet cat people are in two different (or is it
three?) camps on the wet vs dry vs raw issue. I feed mine a
combination of wet and dry, but had one cat live to age 20 on nothing
but Science Diet dry for the last ten years of her life. Canned gave
her diarrhea. (sp.) P.S.--Bless you for adopting a stray! Hope you two
have lots of happy years!

"dick" > wrote in message
om...
> A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
> doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth
pushing
> the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?

Magic Mood Jeep©
October 10th 03, 03:22 PM
Try mixing the canned kitten food with a meat-based human baby food, that's
what I did for a kitten I rayed from days old. Slowly I'm thinning out the
human baby food, and eventually he will go on dry kitten chow.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"Mary" > wrote in message
m...
> It is a really bad idea to feed cats table scraps. He has different
> nutritional needs than you do. Get him off of them right away. When
> you take him to the vet, see what he or she recommends. As with
> everything else, Usenet cat people are in two different (or is it
> three?) camps on the wet vs dry vs raw issue. I feed mine a
> combination of wet and dry, but had one cat live to age 20 on nothing
> but Science Diet dry for the last ten years of her life. Canned gave
> her diarrhea. (sp.) P.S.--Bless you for adopting a stray! Hope you two
> have lots of happy years!
>

> "dick" > wrote in message
> om...
> > A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
> > doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth
> pushing
> > the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?

Joe Canuck
October 10th 03, 09:11 PM
Mary wrote:
> It is a really bad idea to feed cats table scraps. He has different
> nutritional needs than you do. Get him off of them right away. When
> you take him to the vet, see what he or she recommends. As with
> everything else, Usenet cat people are in two different (or is it
> three?) camps on the wet vs dry vs raw issue. I feed mine a
> combination of wet and dry, but had one cat live to age 20 on nothing
> but Science Diet dry for the last ten years of her life. Canned gave
> her diarrhea. (sp.) P.S.--Bless you for adopting a stray! Hope you two
> have lots of happy years!

And here I thought I was the only one with a cat who has that problem.

For the life of me, I made a real effort with my cat to get her on a
canned diet. Runny stools were a consistent problem during the trial
which went on for weeks. I finally gave it up.

She is on dry now... I'm gradually switch her over to Science Diet dry.
When she is on the SD 100% I may try the canned again, but if the runny
stools return then it will be back to dry.

I dislike putting my cat through the grief of food changes... I know she
loves the canned and it takes her a long time to forget about it when we
stop feeding it. However, I also know she dislikes the mess those runny
stools make of her rear. She tries to clean herself as best as possible,
but at some points just looks up at me with a meow as if to say "Hey, I
need some help with mess!". :-)

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Joe Canuck
October 10th 03, 09:11 PM
Mary wrote:
> It is a really bad idea to feed cats table scraps. He has different
> nutritional needs than you do. Get him off of them right away. When
> you take him to the vet, see what he or she recommends. As with
> everything else, Usenet cat people are in two different (or is it
> three?) camps on the wet vs dry vs raw issue. I feed mine a
> combination of wet and dry, but had one cat live to age 20 on nothing
> but Science Diet dry for the last ten years of her life. Canned gave
> her diarrhea. (sp.) P.S.--Bless you for adopting a stray! Hope you two
> have lots of happy years!

And here I thought I was the only one with a cat who has that problem.

For the life of me, I made a real effort with my cat to get her on a
canned diet. Runny stools were a consistent problem during the trial
which went on for weeks. I finally gave it up.

She is on dry now... I'm gradually switch her over to Science Diet dry.
When she is on the SD 100% I may try the canned again, but if the runny
stools return then it will be back to dry.

I dislike putting my cat through the grief of food changes... I know she
loves the canned and it takes her a long time to forget about it when we
stop feeding it. However, I also know she dislikes the mess those runny
stools make of her rear. She tries to clean herself as best as possible,
but at some points just looks up at me with a meow as if to say "Hey, I
need some help with mess!". :-)

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

-L.
October 11th 03, 08:37 AM
(dick) wrote in message >...
> A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
> doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth pushing
> the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?

After everything I have been through with my one cat over the last
month (intestinal problems/blockages), I am convinced that wet food is
the only way to go. If I ever get another cat, it will be a
high-quality wet food only.

-L.

-L.
October 11th 03, 08:37 AM
(dick) wrote in message >...
> A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
> doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth pushing
> the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?

After everything I have been through with my one cat over the last
month (intestinal problems/blockages), I am convinced that wet food is
the only way to go. If I ever get another cat, it will be a
high-quality wet food only.

-L.

Philip ®
October 11th 03, 01:58 PM
In m,
-L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> (dick) wrote in message
> > A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
> > doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth
> > pushing the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?
>

> After everything I have been through with my one cat over the last
> month (intestinal problems/blockages), I am convinced that wet
> food is
> the only way to go. If I ever get another cat, it will be a
> high-quality wet food only.
>
> -L.

Assuming your next cat's physiology and tastes are identical to your
last cat .... but what if such is not the case?
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Philip ®
October 11th 03, 01:58 PM
In m,
-L. > being of bellicose mind posted:
> (dick) wrote in message
> > A newly adopted four month old kitten......loves table scraps but
> > doesn't like wet or dry even if mixed together. Is it worth
> > pushing the dry hoping he will eventually buckle?
>

> After everything I have been through with my one cat over the last
> month (intestinal problems/blockages), I am convinced that wet
> food is
> the only way to go. If I ever get another cat, it will be a
> high-quality wet food only.
>
> -L.

Assuming your next cat's physiology and tastes are identical to your
last cat .... but what if such is not the case?
--

~~Philip "Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Liz
October 11th 03, 08:10 PM
> For the life of me, I made a real effort with my cat to get her on a
> canned diet. Runny stools were a consistent problem during the trial
> which went on for weeks. I finally gave it up.
>
> She is on dry now... I'm gradually switch her over to Science Diet dry.
> When she is on the SD 100% I may try the canned again, but if the runny
> stools return then it will be back to dry.
>
> I dislike putting my cat through the grief of food changes... I know she
> loves the canned and it takes her a long time to forget about it when we
> stop feeding it. However, I also know she dislikes the mess those runny
> stools make of her rear. She tries to clean herself as best as possible,
> but at some points just looks up at me with a meow as if to say "Hey, I
> need some help with mess!". :-)

I noticed my cats get runny stools with certain brands of commercial
food, regardless if dry or wet. I also noticed that these brands have
a greater fiber content than the brands their stools look fine. Try a
canned food with lower fiber content and see if that´s the case with
your cat too.

Liz
October 11th 03, 08:10 PM
> For the life of me, I made a real effort with my cat to get her on a
> canned diet. Runny stools were a consistent problem during the trial
> which went on for weeks. I finally gave it up.
>
> She is on dry now... I'm gradually switch her over to Science Diet dry.
> When she is on the SD 100% I may try the canned again, but if the runny
> stools return then it will be back to dry.
>
> I dislike putting my cat through the grief of food changes... I know she
> loves the canned and it takes her a long time to forget about it when we
> stop feeding it. However, I also know she dislikes the mess those runny
> stools make of her rear. She tries to clean herself as best as possible,
> but at some points just looks up at me with a meow as if to say "Hey, I
> need some help with mess!". :-)

I noticed my cats get runny stools with certain brands of commercial
food, regardless if dry or wet. I also noticed that these brands have
a greater fiber content than the brands their stools look fine. Try a
canned food with lower fiber content and see if that´s the case with
your cat too.

Liz
October 11th 03, 08:17 PM
Oops, I think it´s the other way around. What my cats experienced was
very soft stools with Nutro´s Natural Choice and good stools with
Proplan and Eukanuba. This was a long time ago so I really can´t
remember. Some fibers will make stools more liquid (e.g., whole wheat)
and some will make stools harder (e.g., cellulose). You´ll need to
experiment.