PDA

View Full Version : Cat has one pupil dilated

FlVEbyFiVE
October 10th 03, 09:03 PM
The vet found an ulcer on my cat's left eye. He gave me 3 ointments for it
(atropine,trifluridine, and triple antibiotic). Since I started applying the
meds, the eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this normal, or should I
take the cat back to the vet?

October 10th 03, 09:06 PM
>Since I started applying the meds, the
>eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this
>normal, or should I take the cat back to
>the vet?

Give your vet a call right now and see what they recommend. Better to be
safe than sorry.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

October 10th 03, 09:06 PM
>Since I started applying the meds, the
>eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this
>normal, or should I take the cat back to
>the vet?

Give your vet a call right now and see what they recommend. Better to be
safe than sorry.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Mary Ann
October 11th 03, 02:04 AM
We have a cat that gets Uveitis quite a bit and we use Atropine drops.
Atropine dilates the eye. The dilation might not wear off for a couple of
days after use. I hope your cat's eye improves.

"FlVEbyFiVE" > wrote in message
> The vet found an ulcer on my cat's left eye. He gave me 3 ointments for it
> (atropine,trifluridine, and triple antibiotic). Since I started applying
the
> meds, the eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this normal, or should
> take the cat back to the vet?

Mary Ann
October 11th 03, 02:04 AM
We have a cat that gets Uveitis quite a bit and we use Atropine drops.
Atropine dilates the eye. The dilation might not wear off for a couple of
days after use. I hope your cat's eye improves.

"FlVEbyFiVE" > wrote in message
> The vet found an ulcer on my cat's left eye. He gave me 3 ointments for it
> (atropine,trifluridine, and triple antibiotic). Since I started applying
the
> meds, the eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this normal, or should
> take the cat back to the vet?

William Hamblen
October 11th 03, 07:25 AM
On 10 Oct 2003 20:03:57 GMT, (FlVEbyFiVE) wrote:

>The vet found an ulcer on my cat's left eye. He gave me 3 ointments for it
>(atropine,trifluridine, and triple antibiotic). Since I started applying the
>meds, the eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this normal, or should I
>take the cat back to the vet?

The atropine dilates the pupil. The vet should have explained that
part. The pupil will be dilated as long as the cat gets the atropine
drops and for a day or two following. Dilating the pupil frequently
is done as part of the treatment of eye disorders.

William Hamblen
October 11th 03, 07:25 AM
On 10 Oct 2003 20:03:57 GMT, (FlVEbyFiVE) wrote:

>The vet found an ulcer on my cat's left eye. He gave me 3 ointments for it
>(atropine,trifluridine, and triple antibiotic). Since I started applying the
>meds, the eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this normal, or should I
>take the cat back to the vet?

The atropine dilates the pupil. The vet should have explained that
part. The pupil will be dilated as long as the cat gets the atropine
drops and for a day or two following. Dilating the pupil frequently
is done as part of the treatment of eye disorders.

Fat Freddy
October 11th 03, 04:42 PM
> Dilating the pupil frequently
> is done as part of the treatment of eye disorders.

My cat recently had a foxtail stuck under his eyelid. After it was
removed, I had to administer anti-biotic, and Atropine eye ointments
for a week or so.

He's fine now and his eye is back to normal, but I was wondering what
part does the dialation of the pupil plays in the healing process?

Fat Freddy
October 11th 03, 04:42 PM
> Dilating the pupil frequently
> is done as part of the treatment of eye disorders.

My cat recently had a foxtail stuck under his eyelid. After it was
removed, I had to administer anti-biotic, and Atropine eye ointments
for a week or so.

He's fine now and his eye is back to normal, but I was wondering what
part does the dialation of the pupil plays in the healing process?

Mary Ann
October 11th 03, 06:45 PM
Our eye vet told us the atropine (dilation) helps to ease the pain of the
eye condition.

"Fat Freddy" > wrote in message
> > Dilating the pupil frequently
> > is done as part of the treatment of eye disorders.
>
> My cat recently had a foxtail stuck under his eyelid. After it was
> removed, I had to administer anti-biotic, and Atropine eye ointments
> for a week or so.
>
> He's fine now and his eye is back to normal, but I was wondering what
> part does the dialation of the pupil plays in the healing process?

William Hamblen
October 11th 03, 07:33 PM
On 2003-10-11, Fat Freddy > wrote:

> My cat recently had a foxtail stuck under his eyelid. After it was
> removed, I had to administer anti-biotic, and Atropine eye ointments
> for a week or so.
>
> He's fine now and his eye is back to normal, but I was wondering what
> part does the dialation of the pupil plays in the healing process?

It's supposed to help relieve pain and to help prevent damage to the
inside of the eye.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.

William Hamblen
October 11th 03, 07:33 PM
On 2003-10-11, Fat Freddy > wrote:

> My cat recently had a foxtail stuck under his eyelid. After it was
> removed, I had to administer anti-biotic, and Atropine eye ointments
> for a week or so.
>
> He's fine now and his eye is back to normal, but I was wondering what
> part does the dialation of the pupil plays in the healing process?

It's supposed to help relieve pain and to help prevent damage to the
inside of the eye.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.

Marek Williams
October 11th 03, 10:18 PM
On 10 Oct 2003 20:03:57 GMT, (FlVEbyFiVE) dijo:

>The vet found an ulcer on my cat's left eye. He gave me 3 ointments for it
>(atropine,trifluridine, and triple antibiotic). Since I started applying the
>meds, the eye's pupil has been dilated all day. Is this normal, or should I
>take the cat back to the vet?

I've had atropine used on my eyes. The ophthalmologist uses it to
dilate the pupils so he can see inside to check things. My eyes
remained dilated for four or five hours, as I recall. The doc told me
not to drive with the eyes dilated, but I did anyway. Things were
really bright outside, but nothing that a pair of dark glasses
couldn't handle. Of course, a cat's eyes are probably more sensitive
to light, so it would be a good idea to make some dark places
available for your cat.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.