PDA

View Full Version : cat no longer uses box, does elsewhere instead

David Combs
July 25th 03, 09:35 PM
For three years or so, our cat has using the box just fine --
until two or so weeks ago.

Admittedly, we had let it build up (due to cessation
of daily indoor-exercise, after which shower taken
and turds removed from box). Which left only
our standard complete clean-outs and grit-replacement
on the Sunday and Thursday garbage-pick-up days.

Anyway, we quickly reinstated the daily turd-pick-out.

Unfortunately, none appeared. He kept using the dining room,
instead.

---

Then, last weekend, we kept our neighbor's bichon (dog) (friend
of our bichon) while neighbors took 3-day trip. Since their
dog bothers the cat, we as usual locked the cat into the
"exercise room" (small room in basement, but nice), off of which
is the bathroom where cat box lives.

For those three days, cat did use the box, 100%.

But once people returned from their trip, and we let
the cat have the run of the house again, it was back
to the dining room.

Even though I daily insured that cat box was clean;
heck, even with that fresh grit added Sunday evening,
just as he was regained the run of the house, he hasn't
used the box even once.

Twice in this now-ending week I've (very, very nicely,
even lovingly) placed him in that nice fresh grit (sand-like),
stroking and talking to him all the while. No result,
not interested.

----

SO, WHAT TO DO?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

David Combs
July 27th 03, 01:43 AM
In article <JFgUa.144648$N7.19854@sccrnsc03>,
Magic Mood Jeep© > wrote:
>How thoroughly have you cleaned the area that he HAS been going? You need
>to eliminate all of his scent from there before he will stop using it.
>
>--
>The ONE and ONLY
>lefthanded-pathetic-paranoid-psychotic-sarcastic-wiseass-ditzy former-blonde
>in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©
>http://www.geocities.com/the_magic_mood_jeep/
>http://community.webshots.com/user/mgcmdjeep

I guess you mean 100%, not just 90% or so.

Hmmm.

Any suggestions. Soap? Carpet shampoo? What?

Thanks

David

bewtifulfreak
July 27th 03, 02:00 PM
"David Combs" > wrote in message
> In article <JFgUa.144648$N7.19854@sccrnsc03>,
> Magic Mood Jeep© > wrote:
> >How thoroughly have you cleaned the area that he HAS been going? You
need
> >to eliminate all of his scent from there before he will stop using it.

> I guess you mean 100%, not just 90% or so.
>
> Hmmm.
>
> Any suggestions. Soap? Carpet shampoo? What?

In US there is (or *was*, anyway, when I left four years ago) a wonderful
product called Nature's Miracle. It uses enzymes to actually 'eat' away at
the stains and odors. There are similar products here in UK, just with
different brand names. So just ask at any pet store, I'm sure they have
some product for pet odors and stains that uses enzymes, and that's the very
best thing to use to really eliminate the scent. But you really have to
make sure if it's gotten down under the carpet that you saturate the entire
area, otherwise there will still be a bit of a lingering scent that you
might not notice, but your cat's superior nose likely will (thus the 90% not
being quite good enough)!

Best of luck! :)

Ann

doggyman
January 14th 04, 06:41 PM
I use a carpet cleaner called Stain Buddy. I buy it from stainbuddy.com. I have a lot of dogs, some of them are getting very old and don't always make it outside any more. I use the 32oz concentrate in my carpet shampooer. they also have some spot removers there. good luck, It works really well

Doggyman:)