PDA

View Full Version : Tick

Bill Henderson
August 11th 03, 11:31 PM
Hi

Cat's got a tick on its neck. How do I get rid of the bugger?

It also had the odd flea or several so I gave it a dose of Advantage 80 for
Cats. Now no sign of fleas but I can still feel the tick.

The cat is very nervous and so I am reluctant to subject it to any stress.
Mind you it has its annual check up and injections at the end of this month.

Bill

LeeAnne
August 12th 03, 03:18 PM
A couple methods:

Use rubbing alcohol or peroxide to smother the tick - the idea is that it
won't be able to breath and will let go. At the same time you are trying to
drown it (the tick) by pouring the solution over it you should be holding
the body w/tweezers and GENTLY pulling so as soon as it lets go you'll have
it. 4 hands works better than two w/this.

We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers -- theory is tick
says 'ouch' and lets go. Again, easier done w/two people.

Most important is to NOT leave the head of the little nasty in the kitty
that's how you get infections. Best to try and get it out than to leave it.
Or, call your vet and see if you can move the app't up and they can
teach/show you how to remove it.

Good luck,
LeeAnne

"Bill Henderson" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Cat's got a tick on its neck. How do I get rid of the bugger?
>
> It also had the odd flea or several so I gave it a dose of Advantage 80
for
> Cats. Now no sign of fleas but I can still feel the tick.
>
> The cat is very nervous and so I am reluctant to subject it to any stress.
> Mind you it has its annual check up and injections at the end of this
month.

> Bill

LeeAnne
August 12th 03, 03:18 PM
A couple methods:

Use rubbing alcohol or peroxide to smother the tick - the idea is that it
won't be able to breath and will let go. At the same time you are trying to
drown it (the tick) by pouring the solution over it you should be holding
the body w/tweezers and GENTLY pulling so as soon as it lets go you'll have
it. 4 hands works better than two w/this.

We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers -- theory is tick
says 'ouch' and lets go. Again, easier done w/two people.

Most important is to NOT leave the head of the little nasty in the kitty
that's how you get infections. Best to try and get it out than to leave it.
Or, call your vet and see if you can move the app't up and they can
teach/show you how to remove it.

Good luck,
LeeAnne

"Bill Henderson" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Cat's got a tick on its neck. How do I get rid of the bugger?
>
> It also had the odd flea or several so I gave it a dose of Advantage 80
for
> Cats. Now no sign of fleas but I can still feel the tick.
>
> The cat is very nervous and so I am reluctant to subject it to any stress.
> Mind you it has its annual check up and injections at the end of this
month.

> Bill

bewtifulfreak
August 12th 03, 11:26 PM
"Kuisse0002" > wrote in message

> >We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
> >immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers --
>
> That's terrible! Using a hot match on the skin of the cat just to remove
the
> tick - how inhuman is that? That's animal cruelty.

I'm fairly certain she meant you would just use the extinguished match on
the end of the tick, it wouldn't touch the skin of the cat.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak
August 12th 03, 11:26 PM
"Kuisse0002" > wrote in message

> >We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
> >immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers --
>
> That's terrible! Using a hot match on the skin of the cat just to remove
the
> tick - how inhuman is that? That's animal cruelty.

I'm fairly certain she meant you would just use the extinguished match on
the end of the tick, it wouldn't touch the skin of the cat.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

kaeli
August 13th 03, 02:34 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> "Kuisse0002" > wrote in message
> > >
> > >We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
> > >immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers --
> >
> > That's terrible! Using a hot match on the skin of the cat just to remove
> the
> > tick - how inhuman is that? That's animal cruelty.
>
> I'm fairly certain she meant you would just use the extinguished match on
> the end of the tick, it wouldn't touch the skin of the cat.

That is correct, as least from the few ticks I have had the displeasure
of removing.

~kaeli~
The secret of the universe is @*&^^^ NO CARRIER
The more ridiculous a belief system, the higher
the probability of its success.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
August 13th 03, 02:34 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> "Kuisse0002" > wrote in message
> > >
> > >We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
> > >immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers --
> >
> > That's terrible! Using a hot match on the skin of the cat just to remove
> the
> > tick - how inhuman is that? That's animal cruelty.
>
> I'm fairly certain she meant you would just use the extinguished match on
> the end of the tick, it wouldn't touch the skin of the cat.

That is correct, as least from the few ticks I have had the displeasure
of removing.

~kaeli~
The secret of the universe is @*&^^^ NO CARRIER
The more ridiculous a belief system, the higher
the probability of its success.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

LeeAnne
August 13th 03, 08:10 PM
Yikes, no ****e - read it again "light it, blow it out and apply it
immediately to the TICK BODY..." What the heck good would it do me to burn
the cat? That sure isn't going to cause the tick to let go and more than
likely would cause kitty to take a big 'ole chunk out of me (and I can't say
I'd blame him/her either).

>^..^<
~LeeAnne

"Kuisse0002" > wrote in message

> >We also used to use a hot match - light it, blow it out and apply it
> >immediately to the tick body while pulling w/the tweezers --
>
> That's terrible! Using a hot match on the skin of the cat just to remove
the
> tick - how inhuman is that? That's animal cruelty.

LeeAnne
August 13th 03, 08:10 PM
Yikes, no ****e - read it again "light it, blow it out and apply it
immediately to the TICK BODY..." What the heck good would it do me to burn
the cat? That sure isn't going to cause the tick to let go and more than
likely would cause kitty to take a big 'ole chunk out of me (and I can't say
I'd blame him/her either).

>^..^<
~LeeAnne