PDA

View Full Version : Re: Calico vs. black-and-white

m. L. Briggs
August 24th 03, 10:00 PM
On 24 Aug 2003 19:57:47 GMT,
(BricksInTheWall8) wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>
>I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with a
>lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's mean
>and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites me
>hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me. It's
>not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed sometimes,
>and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
>little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in the
>same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack them. I
>figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.
>
>But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
>black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but then I
>started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my cat
>and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small kittens,
>one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
>happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched her. And
>all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.
>
>So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect on
>its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
>responsibility for, if that is the case.)

Perhaps she would rather be a mouser on a farm somewhere. Maybe
confinement inhibits her activities so she takes it out on you. Do
you have any idea what her former home was like?

Nanny
August 24th 03, 10:16 PM
I had a tortie for almost 17 years, and she also had a very special
character. When she was still a kitten I had to teach her to be petted with
my face, as she'd go into full attack mode, claws and teeth, when I used my
hands. With a lot of patience I got her so far that I could also pet her
with my hands, but often when I stroked her from head to tail she'd turn
around fast and hit me, then turned back again for the next stroke :-)
She really was a loving cat, she just had some strange ideas.......... and
I've heard the same from other people about their torties/calico's.

--
Nanny

I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.

"BricksInTheWall8" > schreef in bericht
> Hello everyone.
>
> I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with
> lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's
mean
> and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites
me
> hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me.
It's
> not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed
sometimes,
> and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
> little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in
the
> same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack
them. I
> figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.
>
> But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
> black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but
then I
> started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my
cat
> and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small
kittens,
> one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
> happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched
her. And
> all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.
>
> So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect
on
> its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
> responsibility for, if that is the case.)

Christine Burel
August 24th 03, 10:34 PM
"BricksInTheWall8" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone.
>
> I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with
> lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's
mean
> and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites
me
> hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me.
It's
> not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed
sometimes,
> and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
> little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in
the
> same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack
them. I
> figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.
>
> But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
> black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but
then I
> started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my
cat
> and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small
kittens,
> one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
> happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched
her. And
> all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.
>
> So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect
on
> its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
> responsibility for, if that is the case.)

I have had several people tell me that calicos/tortiseshells are a little
"squirrely" but don't know this from personal experience. I've also heard
that orange male kitties are sweet and mellow -- my personal experience here
is that Frodo (RB) fit this description to a T; Omar is sweet and mostly
mellow, and Tucker (my work in progress) can be a love muffin but he's not
mellow, at least not yet, and gets wound up easily. I also had a cat
behaviorist tell me that black cats are "quirky" -- she said Midnight was my
"gifted" kitty and she was right about that -- tooo smart. Robin, who is
also black is quite a character. Haven't heard anything specific about
black & white kitites.
Christine

Yoj
August 24th 03, 11:44 PM
"Christine Burel" > wrote in message

> [...]
>
> I have had several people tell me that calicos/tortiseshells are a
little
> "squirrely" but don't know this from personal experience. I've also
heard
> that orange male kitties are sweet and mellow -- my personal
experience here
> is that Frodo (RB) fit this description to a T; Omar is sweet and
mostly
> mellow, and Tucker (my work in progress) can be a love muffin but he's
not
> mellow, at least not yet, and gets wound up easily. I also had a cat
> behaviorist tell me that black cats are "quirky" -- she said Midnight
was my
> "gifted" kitty and she was right about that -- tooo smart. Robin, who
is
> also black is quite a character. Haven't heard anything specific

I've had only one black and white. He was such a love bug, we named him
Herbie. He was awfully affectionate as a kitten, and would often curl
up on your ear or against the top of your head to sleep at night. He
got much less affectionate as he grew older, although he was never mean.

Joy

Kim Walters
August 25th 03, 02:13 AM
"BricksInTheWall8" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone.
>
> I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with
> lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's
mean
> and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites
me
> hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me.
It's
> not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed
sometimes,
> and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
> little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in
the
> same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack
them. I
> figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.
>
> But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
> black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but
then I
> started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my
cat
> and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small
kittens,
> one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
> happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched
her. And
> all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.
>
> So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect
on
> its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
> responsibility for, if that is the case.)

I have had 2 Torties and the best description I have heard about them is
they are just like an Almond Joy (coconut covered in chocolate with an
almond on top), half sweet, half nuts.

--
-Kim

owned by Egbert, Niobe, Sekhar and Rocket

one cat just leads to another...

http://photos.yahoo.com/sir_eg_of_bert

Stacey
August 25th 03, 02:58 AM
I was thinking that I didn't know any calicos so I couldn't help... but then
I remembered my sister's whacko cat is a calico. Whoo boy.. moody to a T..
loves my sister and loves her black lab but anyone else is simply there to
feed her then get the hell out of her face. She's declawed (before my sister
got her from the pound), thank GOD, because otherwise she would have killed
someone by now!!! You can pet her for like a millisecond and then WHAM full
kill mode.

Gotta go... the Restaraunt is on.

Stacey (who's two b&w's are sweet, 'cept Mr. Bob can be a real ****er)
"BricksInTheWall8" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone.
>
> I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with
> lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's
mean
> and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites
me
> hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me.
It's
> not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed
sometimes,
> and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
> little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in
the
> same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack
them. I
> figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.
>
> But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
> black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but
then I
> started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my
cat
> and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small
kittens,
> one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
> happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched
her. And
> all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.
>
> So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect
on
> its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
> responsibility for, if that is the case.)

Magic Mood Jeep©
August 25th 03, 08:14 AM
My Ivy was a calico, and the sweetest cat I've ever known. didn't like to
be held, but would lay on me & PURRR whenever I lay on the sofa to watch TV,
or if I lay on the bed to read. She hid whenever anyone new came to the
house, but if you were here long enough or often enough, you got your lap
warmed by her.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

"BricksInTheWall8" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone.
>
> I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with
> lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's
mean
> and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites
me
> hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me.
It's
> not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed
sometimes,
> and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
> little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in
the
> same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack
them. I
> figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.
>
> But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
> black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but
then I
> started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my
cat
> and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small
kittens,
> one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
> happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched
her. And
> all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.
>
> So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect
on
> its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
> responsibility for, if that is the case.)

Victor M. Martinez
August 25th 03, 03:47 PM
It might have to do with gender though. Most calicos are females and most
orange tabbies are males. In my experience, males tend to be more affectionate
than females.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Arthur Shapiro
August 25th 03, 07:18 PM
In article >, (BricksInTheWall8) wrote:

>So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect on
>its personality?

Absolutely. B&W's, although generally rather intellectually dense, are
usually wonderful and affectionate cats.

Calicos, I've heard from multiple sources, are quite challenging cases and my
own experience confirms this. As an example, right now my favorite cat is a 6
1/2 year old Calico whom I love dearly. But she cannot be picked up, even
though she sleeps on my back at night, sits on my shoulder when I'm on the
computer, and follows me around meowing for affection. A wonderful, loving
cat. Just can't get a hand underneath her to pick her up. She's months
overdue for the annual shots and checkup, and hasn't gotten Advantaged since
January. My wife has never been able to touch her except when she's been
trapped and taken to the vet. Other calicos I've met have taken a long time
to accept me. This really does seem to be typical behavior for the breed,
although yours seems to have an out and out mean streak.

Art

OU812?
August 25th 03, 07:24 PM
Arthur Shapiro wrote:
> In article >,
> (BricksInTheWall8) wrote:
>
>> So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an
>> effect on
>> its personality?
>
> Absolutely. B&W's, although generally rather intellectually dense,
> are
> usually wonderful and affectionate cats.

This describes my boy Oreo to a tee!!!!!

to see pics of him go to http://www.geocities.com/krispyp and select Oreo's
page

Kristy

BricksInTheWall8
August 25th 03, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone! It looks like calicos actually are in
general less affectionate. I'll love my kitty forever, but I think my next cat
will be a black-and-white or maybe an orange-and-white!

To everyone who asked, I got my cat when she was six weeks old from a pet
store, she was already declawed and sterilized and everything, which I think is
terrible...so I guess she did have a pretty rough babyhood. Plus my stupid
brother is always playfighting with her. Coupled with the fact she's a calico,
no wonder the poor thing is so crazy. :-(

>I have had 2 Torties and the best description I have heard about them is
>they are just like an Almond Joy (coconut covered in chocolate with an
>almond on top), half sweet, half nuts.

LOL! Awwww, that is so perfect. I am going to use that. :-D

Nanny
August 25th 03, 10:00 PM
You're right, never playfight with that kind of cat, and if she starts
acting up turn away from her and ignore her.

-
Nanny

I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.

"BricksInTheWall8" > schreef in bericht
> Thanks for all the responses everyone! It looks like calicos actually are
in
> general less affectionate. I'll love my kitty forever, but I think my next
cat
> will be a black-and-white or maybe an orange-and-white!
>
> To everyone who asked, I got my cat when she was six weeks old from a pet
> store, she was already declawed and sterilized and everything, which I
think is
> terrible...so I guess she did have a pretty rough babyhood. Plus my stupid
> brother is always playfighting with her. Coupled with the fact she's a
calico,
> no wonder the poor thing is so crazy. :-(
>
> >I have had 2 Torties and the best description I have heard about them is
> >they are just like an Almond Joy (coconut covered in chocolate with an
> >almond on top), half sweet, half nuts.
>
> LOL! Awwww, that is so perfect. I am going to use that. :-D

Marina
August 26th 03, 05:33 AM
"BricksInTheWall8" > wrote

> To everyone who asked, I got my cat when she was six weeks old from a pet
> store, she was already declawed and sterilized and everything, which I
think is
> terrible...

Well, I think that explains her behaviour, not her fur colour.

--
Marina

Annie Benson-Lennaman
August 26th 03, 08:54 AM
Of my 3 adult cats, Jeeves the Tuxudo cat is probably the most mellow...
he certainly is the one that tolerates the kitten the best. But... when
we dropped him off at my mom-in-laws house along with abondigas, a white
male with orange ears and tail, Jeeves is the one that flipped out and
hid in the basement for a week. Abondigas remained is normal goofy,
lovable self.

So I guess what I am saying is... ignore my data point.

--
Annie

--
If you can't figure out my email address, you're not supposed to write
me.

Sherry
August 27th 03, 02:51 AM
>>So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect on
>>its personality?
>
>Absolutely. B&W's, although generally rather intellectually dense, are
>usually wonderful and affectionate cats.

Sorry, but I have to differ. Bootsie is the most aloof cat I've ever had.
Cherokee was also aloof and just plain mean. They were both B&W!

Not so quick
August 27th 03, 02:37 PM
I'm not sure what a calico is. We have
two black and whites with some ginger.
They are both very affectionate. One,
a spade female, lets the other cats nurse
from her. The other sleeps on top of me
at night sometimes, even when I lie on
my side.

"Marina" > wrote in message

> "BricksInTheWall8" > wrote
>

> > But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving,
and
> > black-and-whites are the most loving. .
>
> I don't know any torties/calicos, but my two cats are both tuxedoes. They
> are very different in their character; Frank is very loving and has always
> been so, but then he was born in a people home and got lots of socializing
> as a kitten. Nikki was born in a stables, and didn't have much cntact with
> people as a kitten, and when I got her, she was a pretty wild little
thing.
> Now, after years and years of just being with her and showing her that
> humans are good for something else than feeding, she has mellowed out
quite
> a bit, likes to be in my lap, enjoys scritches, sleeps in my bed etc.
>
> So I think it's more about where the cat was born and how she lived before
> she came to you than what colour her fur is.
>
> --
> Marina

Not so quick
August 29th 03, 06:44 AM
"Nanny" > wrote in message
> You're right, never playfight with that kind of cat, and if she starts
> acting up turn away from her and ignore her.
>
> -
> Nanny
>
> I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.
>
> "BricksInTheWall8" > schreef in bericht
> > Thanks for all the responses everyone! It looks like calicos actually
are
> in
> > general less affectionate. I'll love my kitty forever, but I think my
next
> cat
> > will be a black-and-white or maybe an orange-and-white!
> >
> > To everyone who asked, I got my cat when she was six weeks old from a
pet
> > store, she was already declawed and sterilized and everything, which I
> think is
> > terrible...so I guess she did have a pretty rough babyhood. Plus my
stupid
> > brother is always playfighting with her. Coupled with the fact she's a
> calico,
> > no wonder the poor thing is so crazy. :-(
> >
> > >I have had 2 Torties and the best description I have heard about them
is
> > >they are just like an Almond Joy (coconut covered in chocolate with an
> > >almond on top), half sweet, half nuts.
> >
> > LOL! Awwww, that is so perfect. I am going to use that. :-D

Our calico is just like described above, half sweet and half nuts.
Sometimes I chase her around the house saying bad girl and
spanking her bottom (about like you would fluff a pillow but
not as hard). She runs away, turns around and lays down purring.
She seems to love it. I have no idea why. Other times she just
wants to be petted but rarely held, usually only after I have patted
her bottom and told her she's a bad girl. I guess when it comes to
nuts, it takes one to know one. : -)

Brenda Watkins
August 29th 03, 11:08 PM
"BricksInTheWall8" > wrote in message
> Hello everyone.
>
> I got my first cat a little over a year ago. She's a beautiful calico with
> lot of Japanese Bobtail in her. I love her to death, but frankly, she's
mean
> and doesn't seem to like me very much at all most of the time. She bites
me
> hard and swats at me if I get on her nerves, she growls and hisses at me.
It's
> not all bad; she does greet me when I come home and sleep in my bed
sometimes,
> and If she's in the mood, she does love it when I pet her, but only for a
> little while. Most of the time she just ignores me and tries not to be in
the
> same room as me. She hates all other animals and always tries to attack
them. I
> figured this is the way cats are, and I love her the way she is.
>
> But then someone told me that calicos are in general not very loving, and
> black-and-whites are the most loving. . I didn't really belive them, but
then I
> started meeting other cats. I met a black-and-white cat the same age as my
cat
> and she was very loving and affectionate. Then I met two very small
kittens,
> one black-and-white and one calico. The black-and-white one was cuddly and
> happy and playful, but the calico one would just scream if you touched
her. And
> all the other non-calico cats I have met are nicer than my cat.
>
> So what do you guys think? Does the colour of a cat really have an effect
on
> its personality? Or is my cat just mean? (Which I would take full
> responsibility for, if that is the case.)

My black & white long-hair, Mr Peabody, is one of the love-buggiest cats
I've ever met. Bunter, who was a dark brown/almost black Persian with a
white patch on his tummy, was also a real lover. Emily, a long-haired
tortie, is affectionate when she's in the mood - when she isn't in the mood,
she tells me in plain Cat to quit bugging her.

Brenda

Brenda Watkins
August 30th 03, 03:42 AM
tortoiseshell is a mixture of colors - in Emily's case, golden brown, grey,
black and cream - whereas calico is patches of white, black and orange. As
far as I know, tuxedo is black and white only. Can anyone else help
explain?

Brenda

"Not so quick" > wrote in message
> Can you explain the difference of tortoise
> and calico? Does a tuxedo have to be pure
> black and white?

Nanny
August 30th 03, 07:28 AM
You explained it well :-)
According to my vet a tortie shouldn't have any white to be acceptable for
shows.

--
Nanny

I still miss my ex but my aim has improved.

"Brenda Watkins" > schreef in bericht
> tortoiseshell is a mixture of colors - in Emily's case, golden brown,
grey,
> black and cream - whereas calico is patches of white, black and orange.
As
> far as I know, tuxedo is black and white only. Can anyone else help
> explain?
>
> Brenda
>
> "Not so quick" > wrote in message
> > Can you explain the difference of tortoise
> > and calico? Does a tuxedo have to be pure
> > black and white?

August 30th 03, 09:26 AM
Brenda Watkins > wrote:

> tortoiseshell is a mixture of colors - in Emily's case, golden brown, grey,
> black and cream - whereas calico is patches of white, black and orange. As
> far as I know, tuxedo is black and white only. Can anyone else help
> explain?

A tortie's (tortoiseshells) colors are more blended together, not as
distinct. A calico's colors have larger patches of the distinct colors -
a patch of orange here, and some black there. And as others have said,
calicos have white, but torties don't.

I think a tuxedo cat is traditionally a black and white, but I've heard
people say stuff like "tuxedo tabby", meaning mostly striped, but white
underneath, on the paws, etc, ie, stripes where the black would be in a
black-and-white tuxedo. Works for me - I think of Roxy as a tuxedo tabby.
See: http://home.sonic.net/~jwermont/cats/cats.html . Scroll down about
halfway to the Roxy pictures, and you'll see what I mean.

Joyce

Renee Darvin
August 31st 03, 08:52 AM
My "torti's" are mainly black, with orange, grey and gold kind of mixed
in, if that makes sense to you. There is a pic of my Bon Bon on my cat
stories page in Flippy's collection -- you can see what a real torti
looks like!

Renee

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." Colette "I've
traveled a long way -- and some of the roads weren't paved!" Anon
"I am too blessed to be stressed" Anon