PDA

View Full Version : 2 cats need home for 6 months

John Moran
August 31st 03, 04:15 PM
Hi there

We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
can't find a home for.

We were wondering if there was some kindly
soul - preferably in the south London area - who
would be willing to look after them while we are
away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
you need a holiday home for your cats.

They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.

Hope to hear from somebody

John

~*SooZy*~
August 31st 03, 06:16 PM
John try posting in freeuk.pets.co.uk and I am sure there are other cat
websites that may be able to help you out. Many people may be put off as 6
months is a long time, and the cats will settle and bond with them, then
they have to hand them back! :-(

-
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
New Pictures added every few days
http://community.webshots.com/user/ragdollcatsuk

"John Moran" > wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> can't find a home for.
>
> We were wondering if there was some kindly
> soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> would be willing to look after them while we are
> away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
> vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
> you need a holiday home for your cats.
>
> They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
> and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.
>
> Hope to hear from somebody
>
> John

~*SooZy*~
August 31st 03, 06:19 PM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> Geeze they don't plan on paying someone for boarding their cats. If they
can
> afford to go around the world they could spring for boarding at a kennel.

it would cost about £2,000 a lot of money, plus very unfair on the cats!

~*SooZy*~
August 31st 03, 06:19 PM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> Geeze they don't plan on paying someone for boarding their cats. If they
can
> afford to go around the world they could spring for boarding at a kennel.

it would cost about £2,000 a lot of money, plus very unfair on the cats!

John Moran
August 31st 03, 06:36 PM
Very helpful thank you

If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
asked for them.

In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.
If I can find somebody willing to do it and reciprocate
in kind then what the hell do you care?

"Mogie" > wrote in message
> Geeze they don't plan on paying someone for boarding their cats. If they
can
> afford to go around the world they could spring for boarding at a kennel.
>
> John Moran > wrote in message
> > Hi there
> >
> > We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> > and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> > can't find a home for.
> >
> > We were wondering if there was some kindly
> > soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> > would be willing to look after them while we are
> > away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
> > vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
> > you need a holiday home for your cats.
> >
> > They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
> > and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.
> >
> > Hope to hear from somebody
> >
> > John

MaryL
August 31st 03, 06:50 PM
"John Moran" > wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> can't find a home for.
>
> We were wondering if there was some kindly
> soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> would be willing to look after them while we are
> away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
> vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
> you need a holiday home for your cats.
>
> They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
> and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.
>
> Hope to hear from somebody
>
> John

John,

You didn't ask for other suggestions, but this occurred to me: Would it be
feasible to arrange for someone to stay in your house or apartment during
the time you are gone in exchange for caring for your cats? Of course, you
may already have made other arrangements for your home -- but if not, this
could be a "good deal" all around. You would have someone to take care of
your cats and would not have a vacant home for 6 months (which is sometimes
an open invitation to burglars), the cats could stay in their own
environment without having their lives disrupted, and the person who stays
there could do so for minimal cost (utilities, etc.).

MaryL

MaryL
August 31st 03, 06:50 PM
"John Moran" > wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> can't find a home for.
>
> We were wondering if there was some kindly
> soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> would be willing to look after them while we are
> away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
> vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
> you need a holiday home for your cats.
>
> They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
> and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.
>
> Hope to hear from somebody
>
> John

John,

You didn't ask for other suggestions, but this occurred to me: Would it be
feasible to arrange for someone to stay in your house or apartment during
the time you are gone in exchange for caring for your cats? Of course, you
may already have made other arrangements for your home -- but if not, this
could be a "good deal" all around. You would have someone to take care of
your cats and would not have a vacant home for 6 months (which is sometimes
an open invitation to burglars), the cats could stay in their own
environment without having their lives disrupted, and the person who stays
there could do so for minimal cost (utilities, etc.).

MaryL

oldmolly
August 31st 03, 10:04 PM
"John Moran" > wrote in message
> Very helpful thank you
>
> If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
> asked for them.
>
> In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
> more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.

In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
come back with me :0(
Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
What is grim about either of them?
I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

---

oldmolly
August 31st 03, 10:04 PM
"John Moran" > wrote in message
> Very helpful thank you
>
> If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
> asked for them.
>
> In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
> more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.

In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
come back with me :0(
Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
What is grim about either of them?
I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

---

DarkHills
August 31st 03, 10:40 PM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:04:10 +0100, oldmolly wrote:

> "John Moran" > wrote in message
>> Very helpful thank you
>>
>> If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have asked for them.
>>
>> In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and, more importantly,
>> pretty grim for the animals.
>
> In defence of some really great catteries I object to that
> statement.Have
> you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
> paradise for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to
> watch, the best of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner
> who is potty about cats and spends hours every day playing with her
> boarders. Music playing in the block too.If my cats went there, they
> would feel hard done by having to come back with me :0(
> Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle
> of woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated
> etc. What is grim about either of them?
> I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
> will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
> convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

oldmolly:

What is true where you live, may not be where he lives. Conditions vary
all over the world. Where I live now, there are great "catteries" (we call
them vet shelters here).

Where I used to live was horrible. I'm just glad I had friends to take
care of my furry friends when I left for family visits while I lived there
- because the local places were horrible.

Sorry, but I had to give my two cents. One can't take one's fur-family
with them on such a vacation (that would be horrible for the furries); but
do you seriously expect someone to give up *all* of their lives for them
either?

Your comments strike me as having been sparked from jealousy. Well, I'm
not rich enough to take a around the world trip, but neither will I
begrudge anyone else their vacations. In the future please learn that not
everyone is like yourself, and it's pretty damned arrogant to expect them
to be. Learn some tolerance. If we lived in GB we would gladly watch his
cats for the time they need. Unfortunately, we're half a world away...

Just because someone can afford to take an extended vacation does not
mean they are heartless and cruel. I can't afford it, but I have relatives
who are world travelers, and they aren't like that at all. So stuff your
comment back where it came from.

Sorry, but that was a bull**** post, and you know it. I'll get off the
Anger Horse now. Isn't often that ignorance sparks it, but it did this
time.

John, good luck in finding someone. I haven't posted re your post before
this because I didn't know anyone who could help, and I didn't want to
waste your time. But this post lit my fuse :) - didn't qualify as a troll,
but someone needed some lecturing. Off the soapbox now...

Purrs from the family.

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]

> [...]

mean they are heartless and cruel. I can't afford it, but I have relatives
who are world travelers, and they aren't like that at all. So stuff your
comment back where it came from.

Sorry, but that was a bull**** post, and you know it. I'll get off the
Anger Horse now. Isn't often that ignorance sparks it, but it did this
time.

John, good luck in finding someone. I haven't posted re your post before
this because I didn't know anyone who could help, and I didn't want to
waste your time. But this post lit my fuse :) - didn't qualify as a troll,
but someone needed some lecturing. Off the soapbox now...

Purrs from the family.

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.

Pet-Rescue
August 31st 03, 11:02 PM
John Moran
: Hope to hear from somebody

You could try the pet-rescue forums..leave your details there, you
never know?
http://www.pet-rescue.org.uk/forums

Anyway, best of luck, John!

--
Wendy :)

Pet-Rescue
August 31st 03, 11:02 PM
John Moran
: Hope to hear from somebody

You could try the pet-rescue forums..leave your details there, you
never know?
http://www.pet-rescue.org.uk/forums

Anyway, best of luck, John!

--
Wendy :)

James
August 31st 03, 11:30 PM
oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:

> In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
>you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
>for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
>of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
>cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
>the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
>come back with me :0(
>Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
>woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
>What is grim about either of them?

You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(

Not an option I'd recommend for John.
--
James

James
August 31st 03, 11:30 PM
oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:

> In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
>you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
>for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
>of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
>cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
>the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
>come back with me :0(
>Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
>woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
>What is grim about either of them?

You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(

Not an option I'd recommend for John.
--
James

James
August 31st 03, 11:42 PM
John Moran > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>Hi there
>
>We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
>and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
>can't find a home for.
>
>We were wondering if there was some kindly
>soul - preferably in the south London area - who
>would be willing to look after them while we are
>away.

John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.

There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
have other cats around.
--
James

James
August 31st 03, 11:42 PM
John Moran > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>Hi there
>
>We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
>and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
>can't find a home for.
>
>We were wondering if there was some kindly
>soul - preferably in the south London area - who
>would be willing to look after them while we are
>away.

John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.

There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
have other cats around.
--
James

Katra
August 31st 03, 11:55 PM
James wrote:

> oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>
> > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
> >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
> >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
> >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
> >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
> >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
> >come back with me :0(
> >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
> >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> >What is grim about either of them?
>
> You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
>
> Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> --
> James

Sounds like a business opportunity to me..... ;-)

Have you thought about that James????

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

Katra
August 31st 03, 11:55 PM
James wrote:

> oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>
> > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
> >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
> >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
> >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
> >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
> >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
> >come back with me :0(
> >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
> >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> >What is grim about either of them?
>
> You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
>
> Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> --
> James

Sounds like a business opportunity to me..... ;-)

Have you thought about that James????

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

DarkHills
September 1st 03, 12:20 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:55:06 -0500, Katra wrote:

> James wrote:
>>
>> oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>>
>> > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
>> >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
>> >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
>> >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
>> >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
>> >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
>> >come back with me :0(
>> >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
>> >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
>> >What is grim about either of them?
>>
>> You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
>> have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
>> kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
>>
>> Not an option I'd recommend for John.
>> --
>> James
>

> Sounds like a business opportunity to me..... ;-)
>
> Have you thought about that James????
>
> K.

Just keep it affordable. Oh, wait, I'm preaching to the converted :)
Thank god for good friends who also love cats :)

*grins* and purrs from Kirby and Pookie

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.
All trolls are promptly killfiled. You decide whether you want to talk.

DarkHills
September 1st 03, 12:20 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:55:06 -0500, Katra wrote:

> James wrote:
>>
>> oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>>
>> > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
>> >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable paradise
>> >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the best
>> >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
>> >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing in
>> >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having to
>> >come back with me :0(
>> >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
>> >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
>> >What is grim about either of them?
>>
>> You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
>> have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
>> kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
>>
>> Not an option I'd recommend for John.
>> --
>> James
>

> Sounds like a business opportunity to me..... ;-)
>
> Have you thought about that James????
>
> K.

Just keep it affordable. Oh, wait, I'm preaching to the converted :)
Thank god for good friends who also love cats :)

*grins* and purrs from Kirby and Pookie

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.
All trolls are promptly killfiled. You decide whether you want to talk.

DarkHills
September 1st 03, 12:22 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:42:45 +0100, James wrote:

> John Moran > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>>Hi there
>>
>>We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
>>and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
>>can't find a home for.
>>
>>We were wondering if there was some kindly
>>soul - preferably in the south London area - who
>>would be willing to look after them while we are
>>away.
>
> John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
> cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
> would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
> know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
> 7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.
>
> There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
> have other cats around.

I'll second this, it's an excellent idea if you can find someone.

I have cat-lover friends who will take my furries in if they need care.
They are some of my best friends.

OTOH you have to know it's someone you can trust. I'm lucky that way.

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.
All trolls are promptly killfiled. You decide whether you want to talk.

DarkHills
September 1st 03, 12:22 AM
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:42:45 +0100, James wrote:

> John Moran > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>>Hi there
>>
>>We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
>>and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
>>can't find a home for.
>>
>>We were wondering if there was some kindly
>>soul - preferably in the south London area - who
>>would be willing to look after them while we are
>>away.
>
> John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
> cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
> would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
> know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
> 7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.
>
> There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
> have other cats around.

I'll second this, it's an excellent idea if you can find someone.

I have cat-lover friends who will take my furries in if they need care.
They are some of my best friends.

OTOH you have to know it's someone you can trust. I'm lucky that way.

--
DarkHills
[[[Pan: The Galactic Gargle-Blaster of Newsreaders]]]
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.
All trolls are promptly killfiled. You decide whether you want to talk.

Lee Waun
September 1st 03, 06:23 AM
> In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
> you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
paradise
> for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
best
> of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
> cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing
in
> the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having
> come back with me :0(
> Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
> woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> What is grim about either of them?
> I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
> will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
> convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

Very well put. I almost wish i could send my cats to a place like you just
described. It would be like a adventure playground for them. Alas I won't
let them out of my sight.

Lee Waun
September 1st 03, 06:23 AM
> In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
> you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
paradise
> for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
best
> of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
> cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing
in
> the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having
> come back with me :0(
> Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
> woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> What is grim about either of them?
> I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
> will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
> convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

Very well put. I almost wish i could send my cats to a place like you just
described. It would be like a adventure playground for them. Alas I won't
let them out of my sight.

M.C. Mullen
September 1st 03, 12:24 PM
| > Hi there
| >
| > We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
| > and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
| > can't find a home for.

| John,
|
| You didn't ask for other suggestions, but this occurred to me: Would it
be
| feasible to arrange for someone to stay in your house or apartment during
| the time you are gone in exchange for caring for your cats? Of course,
you
| may already have made other arrangements for your home -- but if not, this
| could be a "good deal" all around. You would have someone to take care of
| your cats and would not have a vacant home for 6 months (which is
sometimes
| an open invitation to burglars), the cats could stay in their own
| environment without having their lives disrupted, and the person who stays
| there could do so for minimal cost (utilities, etc.).

Would just *love* to spend half a year in London! But I have to work and
look after kids and pets. :-(
Guess you could try the local paper, and, of course, all your friends who
could ask all their friends.
In case you *have* to bring them to the cattery: For such a long time you
might be able to get a special price, especially if it's out of season.
Good luck.

Carola

M.C. Mullen
September 1st 03, 12:24 PM
| > Hi there
| >
| > We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
| > and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
| > can't find a home for.

| John,
|
| You didn't ask for other suggestions, but this occurred to me: Would it
be
| feasible to arrange for someone to stay in your house or apartment during
| the time you are gone in exchange for caring for your cats? Of course,
you
| may already have made other arrangements for your home -- but if not, this
| could be a "good deal" all around. You would have someone to take care of
| your cats and would not have a vacant home for 6 months (which is
sometimes
| an open invitation to burglars), the cats could stay in their own
| environment without having their lives disrupted, and the person who stays
| there could do so for minimal cost (utilities, etc.).

Would just *love* to spend half a year in London! But I have to work and
look after kids and pets. :-(
Guess you could try the local paper, and, of course, all your friends who
could ask all their friends.
In case you *have* to bring them to the cattery: For such a long time you
might be able to get a special price, especially if it's out of season.
Good luck.

Carola

~*SooZy*~
September 1st 03, 02:13 PM
"James" > wrote in message
> oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>
> > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that
statement.Have
> >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
paradise
> >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
best
> >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty
about
> >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing
in
> >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having
> >come back with me :0(
> >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
> >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> >What is grim about either of them?
>
> You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
>
> Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> --
> James

I agree London is very expensive, but surely it would be worth coming out of
London to find a suitable place? an hours drive away you are in the
country..... however 6 months is a very long time to live the cats. Getting
a cat sitter in sounds like a good idea.

~*SooZy*~
September 1st 03, 02:13 PM
"James" > wrote in message
> oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
>
> > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that
statement.Have
> >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
paradise
> >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
best
> >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty
about
> >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing
in
> >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having
> >come back with me :0(
> >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
> >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> >What is grim about either of them?
>
> You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
>
> Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> --
> James

I agree London is very expensive, but surely it would be worth coming out of
London to find a suitable place? an hours drive away you are in the
country..... however 6 months is a very long time to live the cats. Getting
a cat sitter in sounds like a good idea.

Mogie
September 1st 03, 04:50 PM

John Moran > wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> can't find a home for.
>
> We were wondering if there was some kindly
> soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> would be willing to look after them while we are
> away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
> vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
> you need a holiday home for your cats.
>
> They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
> and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.
>
> Hope to hear from somebody
>
> John

Mogie
September 1st 03, 04:50 PM

John Moran > wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> can't find a home for.
>
> We were wondering if there was some kindly
> soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> would be willing to look after them while we are
> away. We will of course meet all food, litter and
> vet costs and will also be happy to reciprocate if
> you need a holiday home for your cats.
>
> They are brother and sister - Oscar is all black
> and Edie is black with white bits. They are 4 years old.
>
> Hope to hear from somebody
>
> John

oldmolly
September 1st 03, 06:13 PM
"DarkHills" > wrote in message
> Your comments strike me as having been sparked from jealousy.
Jealously about what????

>Well, I'm
> not rich enough to take a around the world trip, but neither will I
> begrudge anyone else their vacations.
Me neither. I have travelled round the world, and lived in many different
countries from Saudi Arabia, to Canada.

In the future please learn that not
> everyone is like yourself, and it's pretty damned arrogant to expect them
> to be.
In future you would be well advised not to take things for granted and
assume things from people's posts.

>Learn some tolerance.
Pot, kettle,black.

>If we lived in GB we would gladly watch his
> cats for the time they need. Unfortunately, we're half a world away...

Easy enough to make promises you will never be called upon to keep then eh?

> Just because someone can afford to take an extended vacation does not
> mean they are heartless and cruel.
Did I say they were???

>I can't afford it, but I have relatives
> who are world travelers, and they aren't like that at all.
And this is relevant to the OP in what way?

>So stuff your
> comment back where it came from.
Oops, your low class is showing there lovie.

> Sorry, but that was a bull**** post, and you know it.
Of course. I recognise it from your own post.

>I'll get off the
> Anger Horse now. Isn't often that ignorance sparks it, but it did this
> time.

You are an expert in it seemingly.

> John, good luck in finding someone. I haven't posted re your post before
> this because I didn't know anyone who could help, and I didn't want to
> waste your time.
So you wasted everyone elses, bu posting your attack on my post.

But this post lit my fuse :) - didn't qualify as a troll,
> but someone needed some lecturing.
I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just to
drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels the
need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and who
I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking your
oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer trash,
I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.

Off the soapbox now...
Put it over your head lovie, where it might do some good.

---

oldmolly
September 1st 03, 06:13 PM
"DarkHills" > wrote in message
> Your comments strike me as having been sparked from jealousy.
Jealously about what????

>Well, I'm
> not rich enough to take a around the world trip, but neither will I
> begrudge anyone else their vacations.
Me neither. I have travelled round the world, and lived in many different
countries from Saudi Arabia, to Canada.

In the future please learn that not
> everyone is like yourself, and it's pretty damned arrogant to expect them
> to be.
In future you would be well advised not to take things for granted and
assume things from people's posts.

>Learn some tolerance.
Pot, kettle,black.

>If we lived in GB we would gladly watch his
> cats for the time they need. Unfortunately, we're half a world away...

Easy enough to make promises you will never be called upon to keep then eh?

> Just because someone can afford to take an extended vacation does not
> mean they are heartless and cruel.
Did I say they were???

>I can't afford it, but I have relatives
> who are world travelers, and they aren't like that at all.
And this is relevant to the OP in what way?

>So stuff your
> comment back where it came from.
Oops, your low class is showing there lovie.

> Sorry, but that was a bull**** post, and you know it.
Of course. I recognise it from your own post.

>I'll get off the
> Anger Horse now. Isn't often that ignorance sparks it, but it did this
> time.

You are an expert in it seemingly.

> John, good luck in finding someone. I haven't posted re your post before
> this because I didn't know anyone who could help, and I didn't want to
> waste your time.
So you wasted everyone elses, bu posting your attack on my post.

But this post lit my fuse :) - didn't qualify as a troll,
> but someone needed some lecturing.
I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just to
drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels the
need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and who
I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking your
oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer trash,
I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.

Off the soapbox now...
Put it over your head lovie, where it might do some good.

---

oldmolly
September 1st 03, 06:16 PM
"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> "James" > wrote in message
> > oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
> >
> > > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that
> statement.Have
> > >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
> paradise
> > >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
> best
> > >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty
> about
> > >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music
playing
> in
> > >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by
having
> > >come back with me :0(
> > >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle
of
> > >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> > >What is grim about either of them?
> >
> > You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> > have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> > kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
> >
> > Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> > --
> > James
>
> I agree London is very expensive, but surely it would be worth coming out
of
> London to find a suitable place? an hours drive away you are in the
> country..... however 6 months is a very long time to live the cats.
Getting
> a cat sitter in sounds like a good idea.

An hours drive would surely find somewhere affordable and nice? A 2 hour
drive would bring them to one of the catteries I mentioned.

---

oldmolly
September 1st 03, 06:16 PM
"~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message
> "James" > wrote in message
> > oldmolly > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
> >
> > > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that
> statement.Have
> > >you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
> paradise
> > >for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
> best
> > >of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty
> about
> > >cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music
playing
> in
> > >the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by
having
> > >come back with me :0(
> > >Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle
of
> > >woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> > >What is grim about either of them?
> >
> > You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> > have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> > kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
> >
> > Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> > --
> > James
>
> I agree London is very expensive, but surely it would be worth coming out
of
> London to find a suitable place? an hours drive away you are in the
> country..... however 6 months is a very long time to live the cats.
Getting
> a cat sitter in sounds like a good idea.

An hours drive would surely find somewhere affordable and nice? A 2 hour
drive would bring them to one of the catteries I mentioned.

---

Agua Girl
September 1st 03, 06:24 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message
> I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just
> drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
the
> need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and
who
> I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking
your
> oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer
trash,
> I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.

Have you ever been to America? If you had, you would know that first
off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else so
whatever we are..you were first; and secondly..it is a melting pot with
ALL kinds of different types. I don't assume Bob Brenly is representative
of everyone from the UK..and I don't call him a "Brit" as some form of put
down. I am sure I know some knee jerk reactionist from whatever your
home country is but I am not so ignorant as to assume that you are just
like them. Maybe you should give up keeping animals and
go on a world cruise. Perhaps then you can put away your misconceptions
and learn that there are good and bad every where and generalizations like
you
are making are just plain stupid.

AG

Agua Girl
September 1st 03, 06:24 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message
> I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just
> drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
the
> need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and
who
> I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking
your
> oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer
trash,
> I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.

Have you ever been to America? If you had, you would know that first
off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else so
whatever we are..you were first; and secondly..it is a melting pot with
ALL kinds of different types. I don't assume Bob Brenly is representative
of everyone from the UK..and I don't call him a "Brit" as some form of put
down. I am sure I know some knee jerk reactionist from whatever your
home country is but I am not so ignorant as to assume that you are just
like them. Maybe you should give up keeping animals and
go on a world cruise. Perhaps then you can put away your misconceptions
and learn that there are good and bad every where and generalizations like
you
are making are just plain stupid.

AG

~*SooZy*~
September 1st 03, 07:30 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message

> > statement.Have
> > paradise
> > best
> > about
> playing
> > in
> having
> of
> > >
> > > You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> > > have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> > > kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
> > >
> > > Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> > > --
> > > James
> >
> > I agree London is very expensive, but surely it would be worth coming
out
> of
> > London to find a suitable place? an hours drive away you are in the
> > country..... however 6 months is a very long time to live the cats.
> Getting
> > a cat sitter in sounds like a good idea.
> >

> An hours drive would surely find somewhere affordable and nice? A 2 hour
> drive would bring them to one of the catteries I mentioned.

well I used to know of a Lady in blindleyheath Surrey who ran a very small
cattery, not that far from London, and its lovely... not sure if she is
still running it.
Croydon area Selsdon, which is in the borough of London also had a large
cattery, that's in the country side beside a bird sanctuary. There are loads
of catteries in surrey, not sure that is what he wants tho
London cover a very large area....

~*SooZy*~
September 1st 03, 07:30 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> "~*SooZy*~" > wrote in message

> > statement.Have
> > paradise
> > best
> > about
> playing
> > in
> having
> of
> > >
> > > You won't find a cattery like that anywhere in London. Most of them
> > > have pens the size of a cat carrier and barking dogs in the next door
> > > kennels. Certainly no Brahms or R4 anywhere :-(
> > >
> > > Not an option I'd recommend for John.
> > > --
> > > James
> >
> > I agree London is very expensive, but surely it would be worth coming
out
> of
> > London to find a suitable place? an hours drive away you are in the
> > country..... however 6 months is a very long time to live the cats.
> Getting
> > a cat sitter in sounds like a good idea.
> >

> An hours drive would surely find somewhere affordable and nice? A 2 hour
> drive would bring them to one of the catteries I mentioned.

well I used to know of a Lady in blindleyheath Surrey who ran a very small
cattery, not that far from London, and its lovely... not sure if she is
still running it.
Croydon area Selsdon, which is in the borough of London also had a large
cattery, that's in the country side beside a bird sanctuary. There are loads
of catteries in surrey, not sure that is what he wants tho
London cover a very large area....

James
September 1st 03, 07:38 PM
Katra > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:

>Sounds like a business opportunity to me..... ;-)
>
>Have you thought about that James????

Thanks for the suggestion, K. With the price of land in London it would
need to be a high rise cattery with lifts to the top floors. Not sure
what my bank manager would think of that! Or if cats would like being
so high up.
--
James

James
September 1st 03, 07:38 PM
Katra > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:

>Sounds like a business opportunity to me..... ;-)
>
>Have you thought about that James????

Thanks for the suggestion, K. With the price of land in London it would
need to be a high rise cattery with lifts to the top floors. Not sure
what my bank manager would think of that! Or if cats would like being
so high up.
--
James

Agua Girl
September 1st 03, 09:57 PM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you want
> watch after your cats. Maybe the best thing to do is find a very good home
> for them.

I don't know. Wouldn't it be better to find someone that
might want the favor returned? (which is what he is doing).
Think about the difference between someone doing something
out of the goodness of their heart and the hopes that the deed
would be reciprocated...and someone doing something only
because they are being paid. When I had friends house sit my
dog and two cats while I was on vacation (yes, only 10 days but
the theory is sound) I knew my animals were going to get the
better attention than they would in a kennel. The folks doing the
house sitting did so for the love of animals, out of joy for doing
something nice. What better can you ask?. I paid them back
by stocking the pantry and fridge and buying them something
nice on my trip. I didn't offer money as they would have been
offended. I have since returned the favor to two of them. So...
before you judge John as "cheap" consider what someone might
get in return. 6 months of free cat sitting :-)

AG

Agua Girl
September 1st 03, 09:57 PM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you want
> watch after your cats. Maybe the best thing to do is find a very good home
> for them.

I don't know. Wouldn't it be better to find someone that
might want the favor returned? (which is what he is doing).
Think about the difference between someone doing something
out of the goodness of their heart and the hopes that the deed
would be reciprocated...and someone doing something only
because they are being paid. When I had friends house sit my
dog and two cats while I was on vacation (yes, only 10 days but
the theory is sound) I knew my animals were going to get the
better attention than they would in a kennel. The folks doing the
house sitting did so for the love of animals, out of joy for doing
something nice. What better can you ask?. I paid them back
by stocking the pantry and fridge and buying them something
nice on my trip. I didn't offer money as they would have been
offended. I have since returned the favor to two of them. So...
before you judge John as "cheap" consider what someone might
get in return. 6 months of free cat sitting :-)

AG

Cheryl
September 1st 03, 10:10 PM
"Agua Girl" > wrote in message
et...

> "oldmolly" > wrote in message
>
> Have you ever been to America? If you had, you would know that
first
> off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else
so
> whatever we are..you were first; and secondly..it is a melting pot
with
> ALL kinds of different types.

Don't waste your "breath". She's another "merkin" hater.

I don't assume Bob Brenly is representative
> of everyone from the UK..and I don't call him a "Brit" as some form
of put
> down

He learned from her.

Cheryl
September 1st 03, 10:10 PM
"Agua Girl" > wrote in message
et...

> "oldmolly" > wrote in message
>
> Have you ever been to America? If you had, you would know that
first
> off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else
so
> whatever we are..you were first; and secondly..it is a melting pot
with
> ALL kinds of different types.

Don't waste your "breath". She's another "merkin" hater.

I don't assume Bob Brenly is representative
> of everyone from the UK..and I don't call him a "Brit" as some form
of put
> down

He learned from her.

Dee
September 1st 03, 10:56 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:

> I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just to
> drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels

That's uncalled for.

Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")

Dee
September 1st 03, 10:56 PM
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:

> I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just to
> drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels

That's uncalled for.

Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")

Mogie
September 2nd 03, 12:03 AM
That depends on the catteries.

oldmolly > wrote in message

> "John Moran" > wrote in message
> > Very helpful thank you
> >
> > If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
> > asked for them.
> >
> > In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
> > more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.
>
> In defence of some really great catteries I object to that statement.Have
> you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
paradise
> for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
best
> of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty about
> cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing
in
> the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having
> come back with me :0(
> Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle of
> woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> What is grim about either of them?
> I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
> will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
> convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.
>

> ---

Agua Girl
September 2nd 03, 03:37 AM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> That's great doing it out of the goodness of your heart but since he
> obviously doesn't know anyone that will do that how sure can he what type
of
> person he'll end up with.

True...but asking people in a newsgroup dedicated to cats isn't the same
as asking strangers on the street. He may not "know" us but he knows we
care about our cats.

> You had friends pet sit. He doesn't know anyone that is willing. Asking
> strangers. Could be very scary.

See above. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet :-). I have
met up with people in other newsgroups..even shared a condo with a
bunch of them.

> Also worry about the cats bonding to the "sitter".

That's a real concern. I took care of my sisters cat for over a year
while she was having financial problems. When she was back on her
feet, she wanted her cat back. Naturally I had to oblige and to be
honest..the cat remembered her and was fine with it. I however
missed the cat terribly.
I just think it's best not to judge people to harshly. If he was looking
for a good vet to declaw his cat that's one thing..but he's just looking
for help. He could be like many others and dump the cats since they
are now a "problem"....but he's trying to find a good place for them to
stay. Not really a hanging offense in my book.

AG
> Agua Girl > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "Mogie" > wrote in message
> > > Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you
> want
> > > watch after your cats. Maybe the best thing to do is find a very good
> home
> > > for them.
> >
> > I don't know. Wouldn't it be better to find someone that
> > might want the favor returned? (which is what he is doing).
> > Think about the difference between someone doing something
> > out of the goodness of their heart and the hopes that the deed
> > would be reciprocated...and someone doing something only
> > because they are being paid. When I had friends house sit my
> > dog and two cats while I was on vacation (yes, only 10 days but
> > the theory is sound) I knew my animals were going to get the
> > better attention than they would in a kennel. The folks doing the
> > house sitting did so for the love of animals, out of joy for doing
> > something nice. What better can you ask?. I paid them back
> > by stocking the pantry and fridge and buying them something
> > nice on my trip. I didn't offer money as they would have been
> > offended. I have since returned the favor to two of them. So...
> > before you judge John as "cheap" consider what someone might
> > get in return. 6 months of free cat sitting :-)
> >
> > AG

Agua Girl
September 2nd 03, 03:37 AM
"Mogie" > wrote in message
> That's great doing it out of the goodness of your heart but since he
> obviously doesn't know anyone that will do that how sure can he what type
of
> person he'll end up with.

True...but asking people in a newsgroup dedicated to cats isn't the same
as asking strangers on the street. He may not "know" us but he knows we
care about our cats.

> You had friends pet sit. He doesn't know anyone that is willing. Asking
> strangers. Could be very scary.

See above. Strangers are just friends you haven't met yet :-). I have
met up with people in other newsgroups..even shared a condo with a
bunch of them.

> Also worry about the cats bonding to the "sitter".

That's a real concern. I took care of my sisters cat for over a year
while she was having financial problems. When she was back on her
feet, she wanted her cat back. Naturally I had to oblige and to be
honest..the cat remembered her and was fine with it. I however
missed the cat terribly.
I just think it's best not to judge people to harshly. If he was looking
for a good vet to declaw his cat that's one thing..but he's just looking
for help. He could be like many others and dump the cats since they
are now a "problem"....but he's trying to find a good place for them to
stay. Not really a hanging offense in my book.

AG
> Agua Girl > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "Mogie" > wrote in message
> > > Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you
> want
> > > watch after your cats. Maybe the best thing to do is find a very good
> home
> > > for them.
> >
> > I don't know. Wouldn't it be better to find someone that
> > might want the favor returned? (which is what he is doing).
> > Think about the difference between someone doing something
> > out of the goodness of their heart and the hopes that the deed
> > would be reciprocated...and someone doing something only
> > because they are being paid. When I had friends house sit my
> > dog and two cats while I was on vacation (yes, only 10 days but
> > the theory is sound) I knew my animals were going to get the
> > better attention than they would in a kennel. The folks doing the
> > house sitting did so for the love of animals, out of joy for doing
> > something nice. What better can you ask?. I paid them back
> > by stocking the pantry and fridge and buying them something
> > nice on my trip. I didn't offer money as they would have been
> > offended. I have since returned the favor to two of them. So...
> > before you judge John as "cheap" consider what someone might
> > get in return. 6 months of free cat sitting :-)
> >
> > AG

AWriteny
September 2nd 03, 04:53 AM
unbelievably, (hahaha)
writes

>...asking people in a newsgroup >dedicated to cats isn't the same
>as asking strangers on the street. >He may not "know" us but he >knows we
care about our cats.

Have you been living on Mars? The number of trolls, in any/every newsgroup,
shows that there are a significant number of troubled people who have NO
interest in the subject of the newsgroup. They do, however, have a sick need to
TROLL and post responses designed to start a flame war. Also, just because a
person writes that he/she is male/female,
old/young, animal lover/psychopath, employed/not working, etc...doesn't mean
that it's the truth.

AWriteny
September 2nd 03, 04:53 AM
unbelievably, (hahaha)
writes

>...asking people in a newsgroup >dedicated to cats isn't the same
>as asking strangers on the street. >He may not "know" us but he >knows we
care about our cats.

Have you been living on Mars? The number of trolls, in any/every newsgroup,
shows that there are a significant number of troubled people who have NO
interest in the subject of the newsgroup. They do, however, have a sick need to
TROLL and post responses designed to start a flame war. Also, just because a
person writes that he/she is male/female,
old/young, animal lover/psychopath, employed/not working, etc...doesn't mean
that it's the truth.

Mogie
September 2nd 03, 07:44 PM
Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you want to

Mogie > wrote in message
> That depends on the catteries.
> oldmolly > wrote in message
> >
> > "John Moran" > wrote in message
> > > Very helpful thank you
> > >
> > > If I had wanted opinions on our plans I would have
> > > asked for them.
> > >
> > > In case you didn't know catteries are expensive and,
> > > more importantly, pretty grim for the animals.
> >
> > In defence of some really great catteries I object to that
statement.Have
> > you actually *been* to any catteries? My nearest one is a veritable
> paradise
> > for cats. Huge chalets and runs, an aviary in the centre to watch, the
> best
> > of everything, heated, in the countryside, and an owner who is potty
about
> > cats and spends hours every day playing with her boarders. Music playing
> in
> > the block too.If my cats went there, they would feel hard done by having
> > come back with me :0(
> > Another aquaintance has a superb modern cattery struated in the middle
of
> > woodland, plenty of birds about, trees to watch, huge pens, heated etc.
> > What is grim about either of them?
> > I think you are motivated by cost here and nothing else. Your poor cats
> > will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
> > convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.
> >

> > ---

Mogie
September 3rd 03, 01:28 AM
That's great doing it out of the goodness of your heart but since he
obviously doesn't know anyone that will do that how sure can he what type of
person he'll end up with.
You had friends pet sit. He doesn't know anyone that is willing. Asking
strangers. Could be very scary.
Also worry about the cats bonding to the "sitter".
Agua Girl > wrote in message
et...

> "Mogie" > wrote in message
> > Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you
want
> > watch after your cats. Maybe the best thing to do is find a very good
home
> > for them.
>
> I don't know. Wouldn't it be better to find someone that
> might want the favor returned? (which is what he is doing).
> Think about the difference between someone doing something
> out of the goodness of their heart and the hopes that the deed
> would be reciprocated...and someone doing something only
> because they are being paid. When I had friends house sit my
> dog and two cats while I was on vacation (yes, only 10 days but
> the theory is sound) I knew my animals were going to get the
> better attention than they would in a kennel. The folks doing the
> house sitting did so for the love of animals, out of joy for doing
> something nice. What better can you ask?. I paid them back
> by stocking the pantry and fridge and buying them something
> nice on my trip. I didn't offer money as they would have been
> offended. I have since returned the favor to two of them. So...
> before you judge John as "cheap" consider what someone might
> get in return. 6 months of free cat sitting :-)
>
> AG

Mogie
September 3rd 03, 01:28 AM
That's great doing it out of the goodness of your heart but since he
obviously doesn't know anyone that will do that how sure can he what type of
person he'll end up with.
You had friends pet sit. He doesn't know anyone that is willing. Asking
strangers. Could be very scary.
Also worry about the cats bonding to the "sitter".
Agua Girl > wrote in message
et...

> "Mogie" > wrote in message
> > Why be so cheap you don't offer to pay the person or people that you
want
> > watch after your cats. Maybe the best thing to do is find a very good
home
> > for them.
>
> I don't know. Wouldn't it be better to find someone that
> might want the favor returned? (which is what he is doing).
> Think about the difference between someone doing something
> out of the goodness of their heart and the hopes that the deed
> would be reciprocated...and someone doing something only
> because they are being paid. When I had friends house sit my
> dog and two cats while I was on vacation (yes, only 10 days but
> the theory is sound) I knew my animals were going to get the
> better attention than they would in a kennel. The folks doing the
> house sitting did so for the love of animals, out of joy for doing
> something nice. What better can you ask?. I paid them back
> by stocking the pantry and fridge and buying them something
> nice on my trip. I didn't offer money as they would have been
> offended. I have since returned the favor to two of them. So...
> before you judge John as "cheap" consider what someone might
> get in return. 6 months of free cat sitting :-)
>
> AG

Jean H
September 3rd 03, 07:18 AM
Ithink eitheprofetionals would be better or someone from this
programme I had someone to live in when I went to England
for 6 weekswho already professed to love my cat, and was a friend.
I gave instructions verbally, and also left them on the the fridge in
writing
especially about not letting him out too early when still dark as possums
had already attacked him once, also left him lots of fresh chicken I cut up
ready and put in separate one for every night I was away, tins galore,
5 big packets of dry food, when I returned half the food was still there
and he'd gone from 9point 3 kilos to 8 kl also she'd let him out at 4 a m
every morning and it cost 2oo dollars to have his back fixed up where a
possum
had got to him I'm still fuming 6 yrs later,about the possum not the money
she wanted to stay in the house but
couldn;t be bothered looking after him properly, never again! jp

James" > wrote in message
> John Moran > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
> >Hi there
> >
> >We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> >and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> >can't find a home for.
> >
> >We were wondering if there was some kindly
> >soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> >would be willing to look after them while we are
> >away.
>
> John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
> cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
> would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
> know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
> 7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.
>
> There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
> have other cats around.
> --
> James

Cat Protector
September 3rd 03, 07:49 AM
Why didn't you sue this individual?

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Jean H" > wrote in message
> Ithink eitheprofetionals would be better or someone from this
> programme I had someone to live in when I went to England
> for 6 weekswho already professed to love my cat, and was a friend.
> I gave instructions verbally, and also left them on the the fridge in
> writing
> especially about not letting him out too early when still dark as possums
> had already attacked him once, also left him lots of fresh chicken I cut
up
> ready and put in separate one for every night I was away, tins galore,
> 5 big packets of dry food, when I returned half the food was still there
> and he'd gone from 9point 3 kilos to 8 kl also she'd let him out at 4 a m
> every morning and it cost 2oo dollars to have his back fixed up where a
> possum
> had got to him I'm still fuming 6 yrs later,about the possum not the money
> she wanted to stay in the house but
> couldn;t be bothered looking after him properly, never again! jp
> James" > wrote in message
> > John Moran > wrote on Sun, 31 Aug 2003:
> > >Hi there
> > >
> > >We are planning a 6 month trip around the world
> > >and have 2 very cute cats who, at the moment, we
> > >can't find a home for.
> > >
> > >We were wondering if there was some kindly
> > >soul - preferably in the south London area - who
> > >would be willing to look after them while we are
> > >away.
> >
> > John, you may want to consider having someone living in your home. A
> > cattery would disrupt them and keeping them caged for such a long time
> > would be unkind, but might be the best option. Try Homesitters (don't
> > know their details, but they have a web site) or Universal Aunts 020
> > 7738 8987. It may not be that costly for 6 months. Worth a try.
> >
> > There are fosterers but they're few and far between, and they usually
> > have other cats around.
> > --
> > James

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 02:58 PM
"Agua Girl" > wrote in message
et...
> Have you ever been to America?
Yes actually.

>If you had, you would know that first
> off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else so
> whatever we are..you were first;
How do you figure *that* out?

>and secondly..it is a melting pot with
> ALL kinds of different types.
I know that. This whole post though is a bit pointless isn't it as my reply
wasn't directed to you anyway was it?

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 02:58 PM
"Agua Girl" > wrote in message
et...
> Have you ever been to America?
Yes actually.

>If you had, you would know that first
> off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else so
> whatever we are..you were first;
How do you figure *that* out?

>and secondly..it is a melting pot with
> ALL kinds of different types.
I know that. This whole post though is a bit pointless isn't it as my reply
wasn't directed to you anyway was it?

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:01 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "Agua Girl" > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "oldmolly" > wrote in message
> >
> > Have you ever been to America? If you had, you would know that
> first
> > off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else
> so
> > whatever we are..you were first; and secondly..it is a melting pot
> with
> > ALL kinds of different types.
>
> Don't waste your "breath". She's another "merkin" hater.

Silly girl. Why do you assume, that because I have had an issue with one
poster, that I hate a whole nation?
I mean , you lot are so flipping over sensitive sometimes.I actually have
several American friends, as I live not far from Mildenhall base.
Just goes to show how little you know eh?

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:01 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "Agua Girl" > wrote in message
> et...
> >
> > "oldmolly" > wrote in message
> >
> > Have you ever been to America? If you had, you would know that
> first
> > off..most of the country was settled by people from somewhere else
> so
> > whatever we are..you were first; and secondly..it is a melting pot
> with
> > ALL kinds of different types.
>
> Don't waste your "breath". She's another "merkin" hater.

Silly girl. Why do you assume, that because I have had an issue with one
poster, that I hate a whole nation?
I mean , you lot are so flipping over sensitive sometimes.I actually have
several American friends, as I live not far from Mildenhall base.
Just goes to show how little you know eh?

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:03 PM
"Chris Street" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:13:36 +0100, "oldmolly" >
> wrote:
>

> >> but someone needed some lecturing.
> > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just
> >drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
the
> >need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and
who
> >I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking
your
> >oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer
trash,
> >I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.
> >

> >Off the soapbox now...
> > Put it over your head lovie, where it might do some good.
>
> Do you dislike Americans in particular or just hate all foreigners?

And are all Americans as petty and childish as you are?
Having lived all over the world, I also have friends of many nationalities.
I speak 2 languages fluently and more very badly.
So I objected to the very silly and insulting post of an American. How does
that make me anti American?
I personally find the attitude of 'either for us or against us' rather
silly. It is this attitude which starts wars.

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:03 PM
"Chris Street" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:13:36 +0100, "oldmolly" >
> wrote:
>

> >> but someone needed some lecturing.
> > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But just
> >drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
the
> >need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and
who
> >I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking
your
> >oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer
trash,
> >I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.
> >

> >Off the soapbox now...
> > Put it over your head lovie, where it might do some good.
>
> Do you dislike Americans in particular or just hate all foreigners?

And are all Americans as petty and childish as you are?
Having lived all over the world, I also have friends of many nationalities.
I speak 2 languages fluently and more very badly.
So I objected to the very silly and insulting post of an American. How does
that make me anti American?
I personally find the attitude of 'either for us or against us' rather
silly. It is this attitude which starts wars.

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:04 PM
"Dee" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:
>
> > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
just to
> > drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
>
> That's uncalled for.
>
> Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
It is possible for you to be American without being a gob****e. Apparently
plenty of you were not able to discern a difference.
My American friends and aquaintances are not gob****es (shrug). Perhaps it
is only on usenet that you cannot be one without the other?

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:04 PM
"Dee" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:
>
> > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
just to
> > drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
>
> That's uncalled for.
>
> Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
It is possible for you to be American without being a gob****e. Apparently
plenty of you were not able to discern a difference.
My American friends and aquaintances are not gob****es (shrug). Perhaps it
is only on usenet that you cannot be one without the other?

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:06 PM
"Chris Street" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:56:00 -0400, Dee > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
just to
> >> drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
> >
> >That's uncalled for.
> >
> >Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
> >

> You could moan to NTL - they may take notice since the AUP says you are
> not meant to call Americans, or indeed any other people nasty names.

Rofl.Why don't you whine to my ISP. Whine to Tony Blair too, and don't
foget your mummy.
"Wah wah wah, she called one of us a gob****e".

---

oldmolly
September 3rd 03, 03:06 PM
"Chris Street" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:56:00 -0400, Dee > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:
> >
> >> I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
just to
> >> drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
> >
> >That's uncalled for.
> >
> >Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
> >

> You could moan to NTL - they may take notice since the AUP says you are
> not meant to call Americans, or indeed any other people nasty names.

Rofl.Why don't you whine to my ISP. Whine to Tony Blair too, and don't
foget your mummy.
"Wah wah wah, she called one of us a gob****e".

---

MaryL
September 3rd 03, 03:07 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> "Chris Street" > wrote in message

> > > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
just
> > >drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
> the
> > >need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and
> who
> > >I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking
> your
> > >oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer
> trash,
> > >I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.
> > >

> > >Off the soapbox now...
> > > Put it over your head lovie, where it might do some good.
> >
> > Do you dislike Americans in particular or just hate all foreigners?
>
> And are all Americans as petty and childish as you are?
> Having lived all over the world, I also have friends of many
nationalities.
> I speak 2 languages fluently and more very badly.
> So I objected to the very silly and insulting post of an American. How
does
> that make me anti American?
> I personally find the attitude of 'either for us or against us' rather
> silly. It is this attitude which starts wars.

I think the reason you are running into this line of questioning is that
many of us wonder why you even commented on nationality. What did that have
to do with it? -- in the same way that gender, race, and ethnicity should
not be a part of the answer because they have absolutely nothing to do with
the issue.

MaryL

MaryL
September 3rd 03, 03:07 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> "Chris Street" > wrote in message

> > > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
just
> > >drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who feels
> the
> > >need to put the rest of the world right. You have no idea about me, and
> who
> > >I am, or what I am, or anything else, yet you feel justified in poking
> your
> > >oar in and "lecturing" me. My god, when I need a lecture from trailer
> trash,
> > >I will give up keeping animals and go on a world cruise.
> > >

> > >Off the soapbox now...
> > > Put it over your head lovie, where it might do some good.
> >
> > Do you dislike Americans in particular or just hate all foreigners?
>
> And are all Americans as petty and childish as you are?
> Having lived all over the world, I also have friends of many
nationalities.
> I speak 2 languages fluently and more very badly.
> So I objected to the very silly and insulting post of an American. How
does
> that make me anti American?
> I personally find the attitude of 'either for us or against us' rather
> silly. It is this attitude which starts wars.

I think the reason you are running into this line of questioning is that
many of us wonder why you even commented on nationality. What did that have
to do with it? -- in the same way that gender, race, and ethnicity should
not be a part of the answer because they have absolutely nothing to do with
the issue.

MaryL

Michelle Fulton
September 3rd 03, 03:10 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> Your poor cats
> will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
> convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

You seem to be suggesting that if they stay in someone's home, they will
become attached, but they won't if they stay in this wonderful cattery that
your cats would be hard pressed to want to come home from?????

I disagree and think the comment about money was out of line. They are
trying to do the best they can for their cats, and you are insulting them
:-o They may have had to mortgage their house to take this once in a life
time trip. Another $1,000 might make it impossible. Don't judge others,
when you haven't the whole story.

My 2 cents...

Michelle Fulton
September 3rd 03, 03:10 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> Your poor cats
> will get settled in with a new person in a new home, then when it is
> convenient to you, you want them back. Not fair at all.

You seem to be suggesting that if they stay in someone's home, they will
become attached, but they won't if they stay in this wonderful cattery that
your cats would be hard pressed to want to come home from?????

I disagree and think the comment about money was out of line. They are
trying to do the best they can for their cats, and you are insulting them
:-o They may have had to mortgage their house to take this once in a life
time trip. Another $1,000 might make it impossible. Don't judge others,
when you haven't the whole story.

My 2 cents...

Agua Girl
September 3rd 03, 03:29 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> Silly girl. Why do you assume, that because I have had an issue with one
> poster, that I hate a whole nation?
> I mean , you lot are so flipping over sensitive sometimes.I actually have
> several American friends, as I live not far from Mildenhall base.
> Just goes to show how little you know eh?

When you call someone a "gob****e American" then you are using
their nationality as a slur. You may think you aren't racist..but your
writing says otherwise. If you don't have a problem with Americans
as a whole than I suggest you stop using the term as a put down.

AG

Agua Girl
September 3rd 03, 03:29 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> Silly girl. Why do you assume, that because I have had an issue with one
> poster, that I hate a whole nation?
> I mean , you lot are so flipping over sensitive sometimes.I actually have
> several American friends, as I live not far from Mildenhall base.
> Just goes to show how little you know eh?

When you call someone a "gob****e American" then you are using
their nationality as a slur. You may think you aren't racist..but your
writing says otherwise. If you don't have a problem with Americans
as a whole than I suggest you stop using the term as a put down.

AG

Agua Girl
September 3rd 03, 03:37 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> "Dee" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
> just to
> > > drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who
feels

> > That's uncalled for.
> >
> > Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
> It is possible for you to be American without being a gob****e.
Apparently
> plenty of you were not able to discern a difference.
> My American friends and aquaintances are not gob****es (shrug). Perhaps
it
> is only on usenet that you cannot be one without the other?

Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have an issue
with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a "stupid Mexican".
It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars are started. Maybe
you didn't mean to put down Americans as a whole but when you did.
If it wasn't intentional a simple "sorry, I didn't mean it that way" would
suffice. Of course that would require you taking responsibility for your
slurs, something you aren't willing to do. Go ahead and defend your
racist attitude..we are used to it. We have to deal with it from the Klan
all the time.

AG

Agua Girl
September 3rd 03, 03:37 PM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> "Dee" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, oldmolly wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know who you are lovie. I know who you *think* you are. But
> just to
> > > drag you down a bit. To me, you are just a gob****e American who
feels

> > That's uncalled for.
> >
> > Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
> It is possible for you to be American without being a gob****e.
Apparently
> plenty of you were not able to discern a difference.
> My American friends and aquaintances are not gob****es (shrug). Perhaps
it
> is only on usenet that you cannot be one without the other?

Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have an issue
with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a "stupid Mexican".
It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars are started. Maybe
you didn't mean to put down Americans as a whole but when you did.
If it wasn't intentional a simple "sorry, I didn't mean it that way" would
suffice. Of course that would require you taking responsibility for your
slurs, something you aren't willing to do. Go ahead and defend your
racist attitude..we are used to it. We have to deal with it from the Klan
all the time.

AG

Mogie
September 3rd 03, 09:42 PM
AWriteny > wrote in message
> unbelievably, (hahaha)
> writes
>
> >...asking people in a newsgroup >dedicated to cats isn't the same
> >as asking strangers on the street. >He may not "know" us but he >knows
we
> care about our cats.
>

> Have you been living on Mars? The number of trolls, in any/every
newsgroup,
> shows that there are a significant number of troubled people who have NO
> interest in the subject of the newsgroup. They do, however, have a sick
need to
> TROLL and post responses designed to start a flame war. Also, just
because a
> person writes that he/she is male/female,
> old/young, animal lover/psychopath, employed/not working, etc...doesn't
mean
> that it's the truth.

Completely agree. Accepting everything that you read online as gospel is a
mistake.

Mogie
September 3rd 03, 09:42 PM
AWriteny > wrote in message
> unbelievably, (hahaha)
> writes
>
> >...asking people in a newsgroup >dedicated to cats isn't the same
> >as asking strangers on the street. >He may not "know" us but he >knows
we
> care about our cats.
>

> Have you been living on Mars? The number of trolls, in any/every
newsgroup,
> shows that there are a significant number of troubled people who have NO
> interest in the subject of the newsgroup. They do, however, have a sick
need to
> TROLL and post responses designed to start a flame war. Also, just
because a
> person writes that he/she is male/female,
> old/young, animal lover/psychopath, employed/not working, etc...doesn't
mean
> that it's the truth.

Completely agree. Accepting everything that you read online as gospel is a
mistake.

oldmolly
September 5th 03, 12:10 AM
"Agua Girl" > wrote in message
et...

> "oldmolly" > wrote in message

> > just to
> feels
> > >
> > > That's uncalled for.
> > >
> > > Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
> > It is possible for you to be American without being a gob****e.
> Apparently
> > plenty of you were not able to discern a difference.
> > My American friends and aquaintances are not gob****es (shrug). Perhaps
> it
> > is only on usenet that you cannot be one without the other?
>
> Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
> used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have an
issue
> with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a "stupid
Mexican".
> It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars are started. Maybe
> you didn't mean to put down Americans as a whole but when you did.
> If it wasn't intentional a simple "sorry, I didn't mean it that way" would
> suffice. Of course that would require you taking responsibility for your
> slurs, something you aren't willing to do. Go ahead and defend your
> racist attitude..we are used to it. We have to deal with it from the Klan
> all the time.

Whatever <yawn>

---

oldmolly
September 5th 03, 12:10 AM
"Agua Girl" > wrote in message
et...

> "oldmolly" > wrote in message

> > just to
> feels
> > >
> > > That's uncalled for.
> > >
> > > Dee (apparently a "gob****e American")
> > It is possible for you to be American without being a gob****e.
> Apparently
> > plenty of you were not able to discern a difference.
> > My American friends and aquaintances are not gob****es (shrug). Perhaps
> it
> > is only on usenet that you cannot be one without the other?
>
> Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
> used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have an
issue
> with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a "stupid
Mexican".
> It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars are started. Maybe
> you didn't mean to put down Americans as a whole but when you did.
> If it wasn't intentional a simple "sorry, I didn't mean it that way" would
> suffice. Of course that would require you taking responsibility for your
> slurs, something you aren't willing to do. Go ahead and defend your
> racist attitude..we are used to it. We have to deal with it from the Klan
> all the time.

Whatever <yawn>

---

Agua Girl
September 5th 03, 12:42 AM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> > > Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
> > used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have an
> issue
> > with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a "stupid
> Mexican".
> > It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars are started. Maybe
> > you didn't mean to put down Americans as a whole but when you did.
> > If it wasn't intentional a simple "sorry, I didn't mean it that way"
would
> > suffice. Of course that would require you taking responsibility for
your
> > slurs, something you aren't willing to do. Go ahead and defend your
> > racist attitude..we are used to it. We have to deal with it from the
Klan
> > all the time.
> >
> Whatever <yawn>

Yeah...that's what I thought you'd say. Typical. No worries...whatever
you put out comes back x3 so you just keep spewing hatred and
indifference..... good luck with that karma.

plonk

Agua Girl
September 5th 03, 12:42 AM
"oldmolly" > wrote in message

> > > Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
> > used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have an
> issue
> > with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a "stupid
> Mexican".
> > It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars are started. Maybe
> > you didn't mean to put down Americans as a whole but when you did.
> > If it wasn't intentional a simple "sorry, I didn't mean it that way"
would
> > suffice. Of course that would require you taking responsibility for
your
> > slurs, something you aren't willing to do. Go ahead and defend your
> > racist attitude..we are used to it. We have to deal with it from the
Klan
> > all the time.
> >
> Whatever <yawn>

Yeah...that's what I thought you'd say. Typical. No worries...whatever
you put out comes back x3 so you just keep spewing hatred and
indifference..... good luck with that karma.

plonk

bewtifulfreak
September 5th 03, 02:36 PM
neza wrote:
> "Agua Girl" > wrote in message
> et...

>> Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
>> used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have
>> an issue with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a
>> "stupid Mexican". It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars
>> are started. Maybe you didn't mean to put down Americans as a
>> whole but when you did.

I agree wholeheartedly. Whether or not you meant it just towards one
person, when you include someone's nationality in an insult, that infers
that the nationality is part of the insult. Otherwise, why not just call
the person a gob****e and be done with it? Not that I think insults should
be flung around newsgroups in the case of disagreement anyway, but I'm sadly
in the minority on that one.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

bewtifulfreak
September 5th 03, 02:36 PM
neza wrote:
> "Agua Girl" > wrote in message
> et...

>> Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
>> used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have
>> an issue with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a
>> "stupid Mexican". It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars
>> are started. Maybe you didn't mean to put down Americans as a
>> whole but when you did.

I agree wholeheartedly. Whether or not you meant it just towards one
person, when you include someone's nationality in an insult, that infers
that the nationality is part of the insult. Otherwise, why not just call
the person a gob****e and be done with it? Not that I think insults should
be flung around newsgroups in the case of disagreement anyway, but I'm sadly
in the minority on that one.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

MaryL
September 5th 03, 02:50 PM
"bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message
> neza wrote:
> > "Agua Girl" > wrote in message
> > et...
>
> >> Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
> >> used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have
> >> an issue with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a
> >> "stupid Mexican". It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars
> >> are started. Maybe you didn't mean to put down Americans as a
> >> whole but when you did.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly. Whether or not you meant it just towards one
> person, when you include someone's nationality in an insult, that infers
> that the nationality is part of the insult. Otherwise, why not just call
> the person a gob****e and be done with it? Not that I think insults
should
> be flung around newsgroups in the case of disagreement anyway, but I'm
sadly
> in the minority on that one.
>
> Ann
>
> --
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

I hope you're not in the minority. Name-calling simply cuts off rational
dialogue -- and usually reflects badly on the person hurling the ephithet
instead of the intended target.

MaryL

MaryL
September 5th 03, 02:50 PM
"bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message
> neza wrote:
> > "Agua Girl" > wrote in message
> > et...
>
> >> Right Molly...it's EVERYONE else who has the problem..not you. You
> >> used nationality as a slur. It's not a big leap to assume you have
> >> an issue with that nationality. It's the same as calling someone a
> >> "stupid Mexican". It shows ignorance and hatred.....another way wars
> >> are started. Maybe you didn't mean to put down Americans as a
> >> whole but when you did.
>
> I agree wholeheartedly. Whether or not you meant it just towards one
> person, when you include someone's nationality in an insult, that infers
> that the nationality is part of the insult. Otherwise, why not just call
> the person a gob****e and be done with it? Not that I think insults
should
> be flung around newsgroups in the case of disagreement anyway, but I'm
sadly
> in the minority on that one.
>
> Ann
>
> --
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

I hope you're not in the minority. Name-calling simply cuts off rational
dialogue -- and usually reflects badly on the person hurling the ephithet
instead of the intended target.

MaryL

bewtifulfreak
September 5th 03, 02:53 PM
MaryL wrote:
> "bewtifulfreak" > wrote in message

Not that I
>> think insults should be flung around newsgroups in the case of
>> disagreement anyway, but I'm sadly in the minority on that one.

> I hope you're not in the minority. Name-calling simply cuts off
> rational dialogue -- and usually reflects badly on the person hurling
> the ephithet instead of the intended target.

Well, thankfully, I'm not in the minority on some of these groups; most of
the posts I've come across from cat folks have been really friendly and
polite, even when disagreements occur (with ocassional exceptions, of
course). But I know that's not always the case on Usenet in general, though
I believe you're absolutely spot on in your observations about name-calling.

Ann