PDA

View Full Version : Cat proximity sensing with microchip implants?

Mark
August 31st 03, 10:15 PM
I know that pets can have microchips implanted under their skin for
identification purposes. Does anyone here know whether these chips can be
used with a proximity sensor?

I would really like to create a cat door that would allow my cats--and only
my cats--to enter. . .even if they lose their collars with the magic magnets
on them. It could also be useful for an automated feeding system, since one
of my cats has a weight problem and tends to eat all of the food that I
leave out.

Thanks
-Mark

Leon Heller
October 15th 03, 11:52 AM
Mark wrote:

> I know that pets can have microchips implanted under their skin for
> identification purposes. Does anyone here know whether these chips can be
> used with a proximity sensor?
>
> I would really like to create a cat door that would allow my cats--and only
> my cats--to enter. . .even if they lose their collars with the magic magnets
> on them. It could also be useful for an automated feeding system, since one
> of my cats has a weight problem and tends to eat all of the food that I
> leave out.

I don't think that those pet tags have enough range to be useful. You
could always ask your vet what the range is. It's likely to be quite
expensive anyway. I think that cows have ID tags that only allow them
into their own stall for milking, although I could be wrong.

Leon Heller
October 15th 03, 11:52 AM
Mark wrote:

> I know that pets can have microchips implanted under their skin for
> identification purposes. Does anyone here know whether these chips can be
> used with a proximity sensor?
>
> I would really like to create a cat door that would allow my cats--and only
> my cats--to enter. . .even if they lose their collars with the magic magnets
> on them. It could also be useful for an automated feeding system, since one
> of my cats has a weight problem and tends to eat all of the food that I
> leave out.

I don't think that those pet tags have enough range to be useful. You
could always ask your vet what the range is. It's likely to be quite
expensive anyway. I think that cows have ID tags that only allow them
into their own stall for milking, although I could be wrong.

Bob Brenchley.
October 15th 03, 09:39 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:52:11 +0100, Leon Heller
> wrote:

>Mark wrote:
>
>> I know that pets can have microchips implanted under their skin for
>> identification purposes. Does anyone here know whether these chips can be
>> used with a proximity sensor?
>>
>> I would really like to create a cat door that would allow my cats--and only
>> my cats--to enter. . .even if they lose their collars with the magic magnets
>> on them. It could also be useful for an automated feeding system, since one
>> of my cats has a weight problem and tends to eat all of the food that I
>> leave out.
>

>I don't think that those pet tags have enough range to be useful. You
>could always ask your vet what the range is. It's likely to be quite
>expensive anyway. I think that cows have ID tags that only allow them
>into their own stall for milking, although I could be wrong.

You are not wrong, though those are much bigger and usually clip to
their ears.

The ID chip needs a strong magnetic induction field to get it to
respond, and then the signal is very weak, it may be possible to
design something, but I think it would drain a lot of power.

--
Bob.

distinction is yours to draw...