PDA

View Full Version : Biggist (healthy) house cat?

Happy Camper
September 16th 03, 05:45 AM
I have a 14 lb male cat but I wont be surprised if there are bigger. Out of
curiousity, how big are the largest house cats?

This cat is a deep black, shortish hair with the forward half of each paw
white and just under his chin is white continuing as a narrow diamond down
his chest a little, then it stops and there is a small/wide triangle patch
of white on his lower stomach.

Just curious. Thanks in advance.

kaeli
September 16th 03, 02:27 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> I have a 14 lb male cat but I wont be surprised if there are bigger. Out of
> curiousity, how big are the largest house cats?

Maine Coons are known to get over 20 pounds. IIRC, they are the largest
domestic breed, at least in the US.
I think Norweigian Forest Cats get pretty big, too, around 18 pounds.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 16th 03, 02:27 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> I have a 14 lb male cat but I wont be surprised if there are bigger. Out of
> curiousity, how big are the largest house cats?

Maine Coons are known to get over 20 pounds. IIRC, they are the largest
domestic breed, at least in the US.
I think Norweigian Forest Cats get pretty big, too, around 18 pounds.

~kaeli~
Hey, if you got it flaunt it! If you don't, stare
at someone who does. Just don't lick the TV screen,
it leaves streaks.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

m. L. Briggs
September 16th 03, 07:29 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:45:45 GMT, Happy Camper > wrote:

>I have a 14 lb male cat but I wont be surprised if there are bigger. Out of
>curiousity, how big are the largest house cats?
>
>This cat is a deep black, shortish hair with the forward half of each paw
>white and just under his chin is white continuing as a narrow diamond down
>his chest a little, then it stops and there is a small/wide triangle patch
>of white on his lower stomach.
>
>Just curious. Thanks in advance.
I read in Cat Fancy magazine a few years ago about extra large cats.
Some reach (and exceed) 20 pounds. It was quite a long time ago, so I
don't remember exact figures. There was also an article about cats
that live extra long lives -- 20 -- 25--30 years. Your Tuxedo cat
sounds pretty!

m. L. Briggs
September 16th 03, 07:29 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 04:45:45 GMT, Happy Camper > wrote:

>I have a 14 lb male cat but I wont be surprised if there are bigger. Out of
>curiousity, how big are the largest house cats?
>
>This cat is a deep black, shortish hair with the forward half of each paw
>white and just under his chin is white continuing as a narrow diamond down
>his chest a little, then it stops and there is a small/wide triangle patch
>of white on his lower stomach.
>
>Just curious. Thanks in advance.
I read in Cat Fancy magazine a few years ago about extra large cats.
Some reach (and exceed) 20 pounds. It was quite a long time ago, so I
don't remember exact figures. There was also an article about cats
that live extra long lives -- 20 -- 25--30 years. Your Tuxedo cat
sounds pretty!

Sherry
September 17th 03, 05:23 AM
My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg

Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is slimmer
than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.jpg

Sherry

Sherry
September 17th 03, 05:23 AM
My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg

Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is slimmer
than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.jpg

Sherry

---MIKE---
September 17th 03, 03:05 PM
Tiger is of unknown heritage but looks like a Maine Coon. At 4 1/2, he
weighs 19 pounds.

-MIKE

---MIKE---
September 17th 03, 03:05 PM
Tiger is of unknown heritage but looks like a Maine Coon. At 4 1/2, he
weighs 19 pounds.

-MIKE

Nancy Thuleen
September 17th 03, 05:23 PM
In article >, Sherry
> wrote:

> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg

What a great picture! My Kelson is also very large -- between 25 and
28 pounds, depending on the scale. He is overweight, but the vet and I
agree that a normal weight for him would be well over 20 pounds,
probably 22-ish, so he's not THAT overweight. Like others in this
thread, he's of unknown parentage, but most likely Maine Coon. A few
pics here: http://www.nthuleen.com/kelson/kelson89.html

He's healthy and happy, though I can see the beginnings of arthritis
setting in -- but he's getting older, now, so that's probably normal.
He's also diabetic now, but we're regulated and he's been fine for 2
years running.

- Nancy.

Nancy Thuleen
September 17th 03, 05:23 PM
In article >, Sherry
> wrote:

> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg

What a great picture! My Kelson is also very large -- between 25 and
28 pounds, depending on the scale. He is overweight, but the vet and I
agree that a normal weight for him would be well over 20 pounds,
probably 22-ish, so he's not THAT overweight. Like others in this
thread, he's of unknown parentage, but most likely Maine Coon. A few
pics here: http://www.nthuleen.com/kelson/kelson89.html

He's healthy and happy, though I can see the beginnings of arthritis
setting in -- but he's getting older, now, so that's probably normal.
He's also diabetic now, but we're regulated and he's been fine for 2
years running.

- Nancy.

m. L. Briggs
September 17th 03, 06:15 PM
On 17 Sep 2003 04:23:30 GMT, (Sherry ) wrote:

>My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
>actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
>http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
>Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is slimmer
>than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
>http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
>http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.

All I can say is WOW! Beautiful cats -- beautioful girl.

m. L. Briggs
September 17th 03, 06:15 PM
On 17 Sep 2003 04:23:30 GMT, (Sherry ) wrote:

>My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
>actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
>http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
>Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is slimmer
>than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
>http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
>http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.

All I can say is WOW! Beautiful cats -- beautioful girl.

LeeAnne
September 17th 03, 06:25 PM
I believe my Max is about 17 right now, he was at 20 one time, but has lost
a bit of weight over the past 3 or 4 years.

LeeAnne

"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Tiger is of unknown heritage but looks like a Maine Coon. At 4 1/2, he
> weighs 19 pounds.
>

> -MIKE

Ricky
September 17th 03, 07:00 PM
In article >,
says...
> On 17 Sep 2003 04:23:30 GMT, (Sherry ) wrote:
>
> >My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> >actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> >http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
> >
> >Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is slimmer
> >than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
> >http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
> >http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.

> All I can say is WOW! Beautiful cats -- beautioful girl.

I second that on both counts.

Ricky

Ricky
September 17th 03, 07:00 PM
In article >,
says...
> On 17 Sep 2003 04:23:30 GMT, (Sherry ) wrote:
>
> >My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> >actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> >http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
> >
> >Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is slimmer
> >than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
> >http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
> >http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.

> All I can say is WOW! Beautiful cats -- beautioful girl.

I second that on both counts.

Ricky

Lee Waun
September 18th 03, 01:26 AM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
> Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is
slimmer
> than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
> http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.jpg
>
> Sherry

What gorgeous cats.

I have a female maine coon but she is still on the small side but is slowly
getting bigger.

Lee Waun
September 18th 03, 01:26 AM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
> Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is
slimmer
> than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
> http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.jpg
>
> Sherry

What gorgeous cats.

I have a female maine coon but she is still on the small side but is slowly
getting bigger.

Sherry
September 18th 03, 04:22 AM
>In article >, Sherry
> wrote:
>
>> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
>> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
>> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
>What a great picture! My Kelson is also very large -- between 25 and
>28 pounds, depending on the scale. He is overweight, but the vet and I
>agree that a normal weight for him would be well over 20 pounds,
>probably 22-ish, so he's not THAT overweight. Like others in this
>thread, he's of unknown parentage, but most likely Maine Coon. A few
>pics here:

What a grand cat! He is gorgeous. He's built a lot like Cherokee was. Cherokee
was a mixed breed longhair and didn't really have the Maine Coon look too much.
But your cat really does. The other pic I posted of my daughter's cat is a
Maine Coon.

Sherry

Sherry
September 18th 03, 04:22 AM
>In article >, Sherry
> wrote:
>
>> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
>> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
>> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
>What a great picture! My Kelson is also very large -- between 25 and
>28 pounds, depending on the scale. He is overweight, but the vet and I
>agree that a normal weight for him would be well over 20 pounds,
>probably 22-ish, so he's not THAT overweight. Like others in this
>thread, he's of unknown parentage, but most likely Maine Coon. A few
>pics here:

What a grand cat! He is gorgeous. He's built a lot like Cherokee was. Cherokee
was a mixed breed longhair and didn't really have the Maine Coon look too much.
But your cat really does. The other pic I posted of my daughter's cat is a
Maine Coon.

Sherry

Sherry
September 18th 03, 04:24 AM
>What gorgeous cats.
>
> I have a female maine coon but she is still on the small side but is slowly
>getting bigger.

I've heard it takes a Maine Coon two years to reach it's full size. I've never
been much for purebreds, but I have to admit he really is a gentle giant. Such
a sweet cat. Just a big old baby, really.

Sherry

Sherry
September 18th 03, 04:24 AM
>What gorgeous cats.
>
> I have a female maine coon but she is still on the small side but is slowly
>getting bigger.

I've heard it takes a Maine Coon two years to reach it's full size. I've never
been much for purebreds, but I have to admit he really is a gentle giant. Such
a sweet cat. Just a big old baby, really.

Sherry

September 21st 03, 08:46 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
> Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is
slimmer
> than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
> http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.jpg
>
> Sherry

Sherry - what beautiful big cats! Wow....:-)
Kathy K.

September 21st 03, 08:46 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> My biggest one was Cherokee, who weighed 26 lbs at his heaviest. He was
> actually very healthy, and lived to be 17. Here's a pic:
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/cherokeesherry.jpg
>
> Also, my grandcat is around 20 lbs., but he has a larger frame and is
slimmer
> than Cherokee was. Here's a couple of pics:
> http://members.aol.com/jjrich0523/jamieorion.jpg
> http://members.aol.com/sriddles/o.jpg
>
> Sherry

Sherry - what beautiful big cats! Wow....:-)
Kathy K.

Emily W
September 23rd 03, 08:18 AM
i work in a vet and we once had a 26 lbs cat come in...it must be indoor
because he could barley move because of his weight...also a cats weight
depends on his bone structure...i have 2 Domestic Shorthair Orange
Cats...they are brothers and 15 months old. One is 11 pounds and the
other is barley 9 pounds

eMiLy HeArTs LeJuAn!=A1!=A1!