PDA

View Full Version : Removing cat odor

D Holloway
September 22nd 03, 02:59 AM
Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?

Don

Larry Osborne
September 22nd 03, 04:41 AM
"D Holloway" > wrote in message
> Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
> from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
> We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
>
> Don

An enzyme cleaner from the pet shop like natures miracle or and oxygen
bleach containing soap can work like Oxy Clean (spelling?) can work. Any
cleaner however must be allowed to soak into the rug, the pad and into the
floor underneath as they have to get down as far as the urine did. The time
need to soak in can take two to three hours and there is no reason you can't
leave it on longer. Also please make sure that you are cleaning beyond the
edges of the urine and a black light can help you find if there are any more
spots in the room. Best of luck.

Larry Osborne

Larry Osborne
September 22nd 03, 04:41 AM
"D Holloway" > wrote in message
> Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
> from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
> We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
>
> Don

An enzyme cleaner from the pet shop like natures miracle or and oxygen
bleach containing soap can work like Oxy Clean (spelling?) can work. Any
cleaner however must be allowed to soak into the rug, the pad and into the
floor underneath as they have to get down as far as the urine did. The time
need to soak in can take two to three hours and there is no reason you can't
leave it on longer. Also please make sure that you are cleaning beyond the
edges of the urine and a black light can help you find if there are any more
spots in the room. Best of luck.

Larry Osborne

Brett
October 1st 03, 08:18 AM
I've used Oxyclean to remove stains... There's nothing better. But for
odors,
try to find Real Ayre. Note the spelling. Search for it on the Internet.
And get your hands on a
carpet syringe to inject it into the padding and below... I have a female
cat with a habit of using
the carpet for her litter box because I adopted another cat. She doesn't
like to share litter boxes with the new
addition to our family. Natures Miracle worked a little but I had to use so
much of it, it wasn't economical. Plus
the odor kept coming back like you experienced.
All of the local cat rescue and adoption agencies swear by Real Ayre and a
good carpet syringe. You can
actually buy a carpet syringe tool that is more like a pump with a tube into
the bottle. Keeps you from
having to refill the syringe. And get a black light...

"Larry Osborne" > wrote in message

> [...]

> > We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> > smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> > carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
> >
> > Don
> >

> An enzyme cleaner from the pet shop like natures miracle or and oxygen
> bleach containing soap can work like Oxy Clean (spelling?) can work. Any
> cleaner however must be allowed to soak into the rug, the pad and into the
> floor underneath as they have to get down as far as the urine did. The
time
> need to soak in can take two to three hours and there is no reason you
can't
> leave it on longer. Also please make sure that you are cleaning beyond
the
> edges of the urine and a black light can help you find if there are any

marty
October 4th 03, 03:36 PM
If you have not already used sealers or paint, you may want to use OdorXit.
Its mostly available on the web at www.odorxit.com though there are some
local distribution outlets listed on the site

Marty

D Holloway wrote:

> Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
> from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
> We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
>
> Don

marty
October 4th 03, 03:38 PM

D Holloway wrote:

> Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
> from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
> We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
>
> Don

marty
October 4th 03, 03:38 PM

D Holloway wrote:

> Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
> from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
> We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
>
> Don

marty
October 4th 03, 03:40 PM

D Holloway wrote:

> Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
> from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
> We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
>
> Don

marty
October 4th 03, 03:40 PM

D Holloway wrote:

> Is there any real way to get rid of Cat odor? We just bought the house
> from a cat owner and 1 room (where the cat lived) is rank with odor.
> We've tried some things from the hardware store and petstore, but the
> smell comes back within days of applying. Should we just change out the
> carpet and padding in that room? Any thoughts?
>
> Don

marty
October 4th 03, 06:32 PM
If you have not already used sealers or painted, you may want to use