PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Stella keeps hurting herself!

jen
September 27th 03, 02:59 AM
Hi,

My cat Stella scratched her neck and created a wound. Now everytime it
scabs over, it itches her and she scratches it off. I'm afraid it will
never heal or get infected. Other than keeping her claws trimmed
(which doesn't seem to make a difference) what can I do?

Thanks!
J and Stella

kaeli
September 29th 03, 01:42 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Hi,
>
> My cat Stella scratched her neck and created a wound. Now everytime it
> scabs over, it itches her and she scratches it off. I'm afraid it will
> never heal or get infected. Other than keeping her claws trimmed
> (which doesn't seem to make a difference) what can I do?

Go to the vet and get some cream to ward off both the itching and the
infection. Then have them bandage the wound so it heals without being
scratched.

If you can't afford the vet, get some Bacitracin and bandages from
Walmart, but be careful that Stella can't lick any of it off, as it
isn't exactly good for her to ingest.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

kaeli
September 29th 03, 01:42 PM
In article >,
enlightened us with...
> Hi,
>
> My cat Stella scratched her neck and created a wound. Now everytime it
> scabs over, it itches her and she scratches it off. I'm afraid it will
> never heal or get infected. Other than keeping her claws trimmed
> (which doesn't seem to make a difference) what can I do?

Go to the vet and get some cream to ward off both the itching and the
infection. Then have them bandage the wound so it heals without being
scratched.

If you can't afford the vet, get some Bacitracin and bandages from
Walmart, but be careful that Stella can't lick any of it off, as it
isn't exactly good for her to ingest.

~kaeli~
All I ask for is the chance to prove that money
cannot make me happy.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Emily W
September 30th 03, 04:18 AM

Emily W
September 30th 03, 04:18 AM

Bob Brenchley.
September 30th 03, 09:12 PM
On 26 Sep 2003 18:59:56 -0700, (jen) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My cat Stella scratched her neck and created a wound. Now everytime it
>scabs over, it itches her and she scratches it off. I'm afraid it will
>never heal or get infected. Other than keeping her claws trimmed
>(which doesn't seem to make a difference) what can I do?
>
>Thanks!
>J and Stella

Healing wounds do itch - like made at times :)

I would take her to the vet who should be able to give you a cream to
reduce the itching and help the healing process while combating
infection.

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.

Bob Brenchley.
September 30th 03, 09:12 PM
On 26 Sep 2003 18:59:56 -0700, (jen) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My cat Stella scratched her neck and created a wound. Now everytime it
>scabs over, it itches her and she scratches it off. I'm afraid it will
>never heal or get infected. Other than keeping her claws trimmed
>(which doesn't seem to make a difference) what can I do?
>
>Thanks!
>J and Stella

Healing wounds do itch - like made at times :)

I would take her to the vet who should be able to give you a cream to
reduce the itching and help the healing process while combating
infection.

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.

Randy Croft
October 26th 03, 09:35 PM
My 4yr old cat, Bender. has a spot on her neck that she licks until she is
bald (about the size of a wet quarter). Our vet put her on prenisolone (it
is a cream in a syringe that you can put into her ears) to ease the itching
and now her fur is growing back quite nicely. Incidentally it is worst in
the spring. I think she has some type of spring allergy.

Hope this Helps
Kris

"jen" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> My cat Stella scratched her neck and created a wound. Now everytime it
> scabs over, it itches her and she scratches it off. I'm afraid it will
> never heal or get infected. Other than keeping her claws trimmed
> (which doesn't seem to make a difference) what can I do?
>
> Thanks!
> J and Stella

Randy Croft
October 26th 03, 09:35 PM
My 4yr old cat, Bender. has a spot on her neck that she licks until she is
bald (about the size of a wet quarter). Our vet put her on prenisolone (it
is a cream in a syringe that you can put into her ears) to ease the itching
and now her fur is growing back quite nicely. Incidentally it is worst in
the spring. I think she has some type of spring allergy.

Hope this Helps
Kris

om...