PDA

View Full Version : Hello (+ question about neutering)

DemoDisk
October 8th 03, 01:07 AM
Hi, all:

I haven't posted to any of the .cats groups since we lost KitKat 3 years
ago, but now I have a question....

On the 25th of May we discovered on the back stoop a frightened little
kitten about 6 weeks old (said the vet). KitKat had taught us to obey, so
there was no question about taking him in.

PJ is now a swaggering young cat about 5½ months old. He's an indoor cat bcz
we don't want to lose him to the highway predator like we lost KitKat (he
even looks like her).

Tomorrow he goes to TED to ...well... get fixed. There's not really time to
rethink the decision, but I'd like to know how other folks feel about
neutering a pet they love.

I guess what I'm asking is if it's the right thing to do *to* him or for him
now. He's energetic and strong-willed now, on occasion very sweet, but
sometimes more than we can handle. How will neutering change him?

Iso
October 8th 03, 02:17 AM
Fix it and forget about it. You are doing your community and yourself a
favor by neutering/castrating the cat! Yes, the cat will change; although
every animal is different, there are some factors in all cats that change
once it is neutered. Neutering makes for a better pet, removing the hormonal
factors and associated behavior of a sexually active pet. Once neutered,
cats are usually very affectionate and more predictable in their behavior,
although not all the time. Results vary, but some of the prevailing symptoms
of castration are: less prone to wandering, more affectionate, less
aggressive, less territorial, more social with other felines and healthier.
Males will also decrease their desire to spray and mark everything within
their territory, but it wont stop the spraying all the time. For most
owners, keeping a non-castrated cat in the house is not possible. Cut its
balls off and get on with your life. It's just a cat! You can always get
another!

"DemoDisk" > wrote in message
> Hi, all:
>
> I haven't posted to any of the .cats groups since we lost KitKat 3 years
> ago, but now I have a question....
>
> On the 25th of May we discovered on the back stoop a frightened little
> kitten about 6 weeks old (said the vet). KitKat had taught us to obey, so
> there was no question about taking him in.
>
> PJ is now a swaggering young cat about 5½ months old. He's an indoor cat
bcz
> we don't want to lose him to the highway predator like we lost KitKat (he
> even looks like her).
>
> Tomorrow he goes to TED to ...well... get fixed. There's not really time
> rethink the decision, but I'd like to know how other folks feel about
> neutering a pet they love.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is if it's the right thing to do *to* him or for
him
> now. He's energetic and strong-willed now, on occasion very sweet, but
> sometimes more than we can handle. How will neutering change him?

Suzie-Q
October 8th 03, 03:27 AM
DemoDisk wrote:

> ...I'd like to know how other folks feel about
> neutering a pet they love.

I currently have four cats and five dogs. All but one have
been "fixed." The one (a dog) that hasn't will be very soon.
I also recently lost two wonderful cats who were my closest
companions for 19 years. They had both been neutered, too.

Absolutely -- yes. Neuter/Spay.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

Suzie-Q
October 8th 03, 03:27 AM
DemoDisk wrote:

> ...I'd like to know how other folks feel about
> neutering a pet they love.

I currently have four cats and five dogs. All but one have
been "fixed." The one (a dog) that hasn't will be very soon.
I also recently lost two wonderful cats who were my closest
companions for 19 years. They had both been neutered, too.

Absolutely -- yes. Neuter/Spay.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

AWriteny
October 8th 03, 05:14 AM
: "DemoDisk"
asks
>PJ is now a swaggering young cat >about 5½ months old. He's an >indoor cat
....Tomorrow he goes to ...get fixed. ...I'm asking is if it's the right thing
to do *to*

Absolutely. Neutering a male prevents testicular cancer. Spaying a female
prevents ovarian cancer. Many vets/pet owners have gone on record saying that
the spay-neueter has calmed their cat down somewhat. Others have said there is
no difference, before or after. It is the right thing to do. I hope you have
much happiness with PJ.

AWriteny
October 8th 03, 05:14 AM
: "DemoDisk"
asks
>PJ is now a swaggering young cat >about 5½ months old. He's an >indoor cat
....Tomorrow he goes to ...get fixed. ...I'm asking is if it's the right thing
to do *to*

Absolutely. Neutering a male prevents testicular cancer. Spaying a female
prevents ovarian cancer. Many vets/pet owners have gone on record saying that
the spay-neueter has calmed their cat down somewhat. Others have said there is
no difference, before or after. It is the right thing to do. I hope you have
much happiness with PJ.

m. L. Briggs
October 8th 03, 05:37 AM
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 01:17:46 GMT, "Iso" > wrote:

> [...]

>> kitten about 6 weeks old (said the vet). KitKat had taught us to obey, so
>> there was no question about taking him in.
>>
>> PJ is now a swaggering young cat about 5½ months old. He's an indoor cat
>bcz
>> we don't want to lose him to the highway predator like we lost KitKat (he
>> even looks like her).
>>
>> Tomorrow he goes to TED to ...well... get fixed. There's not really time
>> rethink the decision, but I'd like to know how other folks feel about
>> neutering a pet they love.
>>
>> I guess what I'm asking is if it's the right thing to do *to* him or for
>him
>> now. He's energetic and strong-willed now, on occasion very sweet, but
>> sometimes more than we can handle. How will neutering change him?
>>

>Your advice was on targent until the last line -- you lost all credibility.

October 9th 03, 07:09 AM
You nailed it.

A no-nonsense approach can be best, but Iso took a plunge, there, IMO.

JPM

DemoDisk
October 9th 03, 07:09 AM
You nailed it.

A no-nonsense approach can be best, but Iso took a plunge, there, IMO.

JPM

DemoDisk
October 9th 03, 09:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for your sincere replies; I'm grateful that you cared.

I disagree with Iso that "It's just a cat," and "you can always get
another," but I was getting too sentimental. Getting PJ neutered seemed
like a big step and I do love the little guy.

Well, it's done. I took him at the appointed hour, and the kind nurse fussed
over him and took down the information they didn't already have. They let me
see him once more before I left; he was in the back in a "cat condo" with
other patients who were also getting fixed. His cage door said "CASTRATION."
PJ didn't have a clue...which made all my fears and sympathies worse. Guy
thing, I suppose.

The vet's called me at home very early; they'd changed the surgical schedule
and he was ready to go home. I returned with a doped-up, unresponsive tomcat
who just lay there unmoving for hours, answering me with flicks of his tail.
Gradually, he roused and got a bit to eat. Then he started checking his
places: behind the kitchen wastebasket, on top of the piano, etc. Mostly
he'd wobble a few steps, collapse and stay put. Finally, this evening he
accepted a snack and then grabbed my wrist and mildly chomped my hand.

I'm joyous; PJ's back.

[...]

theodore gump
October 10th 03, 11:26 PM
i get all my pet "fixed". i doesn`t change their personality one bit.
its best to get it done when they`re young. good luck with your kitty.