PDA

View Full Version : tricky feeding

Kyle Jones
October 8th 03, 04:37 AM
We have three cats. Two of them immediately eat all the food
that's put before them. The third likes to nibble a bit at a
time throughout the day. This worked until the first two cats
figured out how to get to the third cat's food. Now the other
cats will eat all the third cat's food, which means ballooning
weights for them and slow starvation for the third. (Well
actually, the third nags me until I put more food into his
bowl.)

What I need is some way to keep the first two cats from eating
the third cat's food, something that will work when we're not
around. Ideally I'd have a troll that stood guard over the food
bowl, allowing the third cat to eat but shooing away the other
two. As is, I'm the troll and I'm getting burnt out at this
job. :-) Help.

Iso
October 8th 03, 05:09 AM
I have heard of situations like this. What you may want to consider is
taking the "free feeding" (where it can eat when it wants) away from the cat
that is not getting to eat. That means you will have to establish a more
solid routine feeding schedule for all the cats. Ideally, what you want to
do is feed them all at the same time, meaning once in the morning and once
in the evening. Your cat will be able to adjust and the other two will have
no option but to eat out of their own bowls. You will probably have to deal
with a winy cat until it becomes adjusted to the new feeding regimen, but
that's life. If you aren't there to police the situation what other choices
do you have?

"Kyle Jones" > wrote in message
> We have three cats. Two of them immediately eat all the food
> that's put before them. The third likes to nibble a bit at a
> time throughout the day. This worked until the first two cats
> figured out how to get to the third cat's food. Now the other
> cats will eat all the third cat's food, which means ballooning
> weights for them and slow starvation for the third. (Well
> actually, the third nags me until I put more food into his
> bowl.)
>
> What I need is some way to keep the first two cats from eating
> the third cat's food, something that will work when we're not
> around. Ideally I'd have a troll that stood guard over the food
> bowl, allowing the third cat to eat but shooing away the other
> two. As is, I'm the troll and I'm getting burnt out at this
> job. :-) Help.

Kyle Jones
October 8th 03, 05:38 AM
Iso > wrote:
> I have heard of situations like this. What you may want to
> consider is taking the "free feeding" (where it can eat when
> it wants) away from the cat that is not getting to eat. That
> means you will have to establish a more solid routine feeding
> schedule for all the cats. Ideally, what you want to do is
> feed them all at the same time, meaning once in the morning
> and once in the evening.

This is indeed what we do. But the third cat eats some of his
food and then wanders off. The other two cats finish off their
meals and immediately head for the third cat's bowl. I guess if
we just let things run their course, the third cat will get
hungry enough (after having most of his food swiped every day)
that he will start bolting his meals like the two. I'm hoping
for an option besides simple starvation, however.

Kyle Jones
October 8th 03, 05:38 AM