PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing cat - where does he go?

Leon Heller
October 15th 03, 11:45 AM
Babbage, my chocolate Burmese cat, goes out most mornings and comes back
in the evening. A couple of times now, he has disappeared for a whole
week - he returned yesterday morning from his latest 'holiday'. Someone
has obviously been looking after him and keeping him indoors, as his
claws are very neat, unlike their usual tatty state, and he has
obviously been fed, although he has lost some weight.

When this has happened he comes back in a somewhat neurotic state - he
keeps crying and demanding attention - but settles down in a couple of
days. Whoever has been looking after him has presumably gets fed up with
his behaviour.

Like all Burmese, he is very friendly, and loves people making a fuss of
him, even strangers. I think he often goes into peoples' houses and gets
fed, as he's not usually very hungry when he comes in. One of my
neighbors said he visited her once and ate the chicken she was
preaparing for her lunch. Previous Burmese I've owned have also visited
the neighbors. One used to spend the day with an elderly lady in a house
near me whilst I was at work (he'd scratch on her back door to be let
in), and would be waiting for me at the end of the road when I got back
in the evening.

Has anyone got any ideas for finding out who has been keeping Babbage
when he disappears? I can't really go from door to door asking
questions, as he often follows me for about 1/4 mile up the road when I
go out (he gives up after that), and I suppose it could be anyone in the
street I live in. I think it is most likely to be someone close, though.
I could put a tracking device on a collar, I suppose, I have the
technology. 8-) Another option would be to put a note in all the
letter-boxes.

BTW, he doesn't have a collar - I don't like them as they can cause
quite serious injuries.

Leon

Ted Davis
October 15th 03, 01:45 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:45:42 +0100, Leon Heller
> wrote:

>Babbage, my chocolate Burmese cat, goes out most mornings and comes back
>in the evening. A couple of times now, he has disappeared for a whole
>week - he returned yesterday morning from his latest 'holiday'. Someone
>has obviously been looking after him and keeping him indoors, as his
>claws are very neat, unlike their usual tatty state, and he has
>obviously been fed, although he has lost some weight.

<snip>
>Has anyone got any ideas for finding out who has been keeping Babbage
>when he disappears? I can't really go from door to door asking
>questions, as he often follows me for about 1/4 mile up the road when I
>go out (he gives up after that), and I suppose it could be anyone in the
>street I live in. I think it is most likely to be someone close, though.
>I could put a tracking device on a collar, I suppose, I have the
>technology. 8-) Another option would be to put a note in all the
>letter-boxes.

Go around asking the neighbors *while he's gone* - makes everything
easier: you have a valid reason for asking (he's missing) and if he
follows you around, then you have found him.

T.E.D. )

Ted Davis
October 15th 03, 01:45 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:45:42 +0100, Leon Heller
> wrote:

>Babbage, my chocolate Burmese cat, goes out most mornings and comes back
>in the evening. A couple of times now, he has disappeared for a whole
>week - he returned yesterday morning from his latest 'holiday'. Someone
>has obviously been looking after him and keeping him indoors, as his
>claws are very neat, unlike their usual tatty state, and he has
>obviously been fed, although he has lost some weight.

<snip>
>Has anyone got any ideas for finding out who has been keeping Babbage
>when he disappears? I can't really go from door to door asking
>questions, as he often follows me for about 1/4 mile up the road when I
>go out (he gives up after that), and I suppose it could be anyone in the
>street I live in. I think it is most likely to be someone close, though.
>I could put a tracking device on a collar, I suppose, I have the
>technology. 8-) Another option would be to put a note in all the
>letter-boxes.

Go around asking the neighbors *while he's gone* - makes everything
easier: you have a valid reason for asking (he's missing) and if he
follows you around, then you have found him.

T.E.D. )

m. L. Briggs
October 15th 03, 05:52 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:45:42 +0100, Leon Heller
> wrote:

>Babbage, my chocolate Burmese cat, goes out most mornings and comes back
>in the evening. A couple of times now, he has disappeared for a whole
>week - he returned yesterday morning from his latest 'holiday'. Someone
>has obviously been looking after him and keeping him indoors, as his
>claws are very neat, unlike their usual tatty state, and he has
>obviously been fed, although he has lost some weight.
>
>When this has happened he comes back in a somewhat neurotic state - he
>keeps crying and demanding attention - but settles down in a couple of
>days. Whoever has been looking after him has presumably gets fed up with
>his behaviour.
>
>Like all Burmese, he is very friendly, and loves people making a fuss of
>him, even strangers. I think he often goes into peoples' houses and gets
>fed, as he's not usually very hungry when he comes in. One of my
>neighbors said he visited her once and ate the chicken she was
>preaparing for her lunch. Previous Burmese I've owned have also visited
>the neighbors. One used to spend the day with an elderly lady in a house
>near me whilst I was at work (he'd scratch on her back door to be let
>in), and would be waiting for me at the end of the road when I got back
>in the evening.
>
>Has anyone got any ideas for finding out who has been keeping Babbage
>when he disappears? I can't really go from door to door asking
>questions, as he often follows me for about 1/4 mile up the road when I
>go out (he gives up after that), and I suppose it could be anyone in the
>street I live in. I think it is most likely to be someone close, though.
>I could put a tracking device on a collar, I suppose, I have the
>technology. 8-) Another option would be to put a note in all the
>letter-boxes.
>
>BTW, he doesn't have a collar - I don't like them as they can cause
>quite serious injuries.
>
>Leon
You asked and answered your own question.

m. L. Briggs
October 15th 03, 05:52 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:45:42 +0100, Leon Heller
> wrote:

>Babbage, my chocolate Burmese cat, goes out most mornings and comes back
>in the evening. A couple of times now, he has disappeared for a whole
>week - he returned yesterday morning from his latest 'holiday'. Someone
>has obviously been looking after him and keeping him indoors, as his
>claws are very neat, unlike their usual tatty state, and he has
>obviously been fed, although he has lost some weight.
>
>When this has happened he comes back in a somewhat neurotic state - he
>keeps crying and demanding attention - but settles down in a couple of
>days. Whoever has been looking after him has presumably gets fed up with
>his behaviour.
>
>Like all Burmese, he is very friendly, and loves people making a fuss of
>him, even strangers. I think he often goes into peoples' houses and gets
>fed, as he's not usually very hungry when he comes in. One of my
>neighbors said he visited her once and ate the chicken she was
>preaparing for her lunch. Previous Burmese I've owned have also visited
>the neighbors. One used to spend the day with an elderly lady in a house
>near me whilst I was at work (he'd scratch on her back door to be let
>in), and would be waiting for me at the end of the road when I got back
>in the evening.
>
>Has anyone got any ideas for finding out who has been keeping Babbage
>when he disappears? I can't really go from door to door asking
>questions, as he often follows me for about 1/4 mile up the road when I
>go out (he gives up after that), and I suppose it could be anyone in the
>street I live in. I think it is most likely to be someone close, though.
>I could put a tracking device on a collar, I suppose, I have the
>technology. 8-) Another option would be to put a note in all the
>letter-boxes.
>
>BTW, he doesn't have a collar - I don't like them as they can cause
>quite serious injuries.
>
>Leon
You asked and answered your own question.

Luvskats00
October 17th 03, 01:49 AM
Leon Heller
writes

>Babbage...goes out most >mornings and comes back
>in the evening. A couple of times >now, he has disappeared for a >whole
>week.....Someone
>has obviously been looking after >him and keeping him indoors, as his
>claws are very neat, unlike their usual tatty state,

Tatty? Sounds like you should allow the other "caretaker(s)" to keep Babbage.
There must be a reason you allow for this "tatty" state. If you can't trim the
nails..have a professional do it. Also, did you counsel the cat on the
difference between red & green traffic signals? looking both ways when crossing
the street? NOT to drink/eat toxic substances? NOT to be bitten by predators?
NOT to stay around when a group of people coming up (with clubs or a desire to
hurt small animals) comes up the road?

>BTW, he doesn't have a collar - I don't like them as they can cause
>quite serious injuries.

As a vet assistant and feline cat rescuer, I can't fathom why any person with a
brain would allow a cat to roam outside (unless miles & miles away from any
person, poison or wild animal) with no protection for the cat. No collar w/ID
(if hit by a cat, owner would be uninformed)..if maimed by a predator (owner
would be uninformed), etc. No mention of, say, a microchip...a device which
(when scanned) would offer a name & address of the person who is responsible
for the cat). Animal control sees a cat (on the tatty side) and logically
believes the cat is a stray. Control officer takes cat to shelter. Perhaps
owner never gets to find out that the cat is gone forever to heaven..or,
hopefully, another home.

Luvskats00
October 17th 03, 01:49 AM
Leon Heller
writes

>Babbage...goes out most >mornings and comes back
>in the evening. A couple of times >now, he has disappeared for a >whole
>week.....Someone
>has obviously been looking after >him and keeping him indoors, as his
>claws are very neat, unlike their usual tatty state,

Tatty? Sounds like you should allow the other "caretaker(s)" to keep Babbage.
There must be a reason you allow for this "tatty" state. If you can't trim the
nails..have a professional do it. Also, did you counsel the cat on the
difference between red & green traffic signals? looking both ways when crossing
the street? NOT to drink/eat toxic substances? NOT to be bitten by predators?
NOT to stay around when a group of people coming up (with clubs or a desire to
hurt small animals) comes up the road?

>BTW, he doesn't have a collar - I don't like them as they can cause
>quite serious injuries.

As a vet assistant and feline cat rescuer, I can't fathom why any person with a
brain would allow a cat to roam outside (unless miles & miles away from any
person, poison or wild animal) with no protection for the cat. No collar w/ID
(if hit by a cat, owner would be uninformed)..if maimed by a predator (owner
would be uninformed), etc. No mention of, say, a microchip...a device which
(when scanned) would offer a name & address of the person who is responsible
for the cat). Animal control sees a cat (on the tatty side) and logically
believes the cat is a stray. Control officer takes cat to shelter. Perhaps
owner never gets to find out that the cat is gone forever to heaven..or,
hopefully, another home.

Lynn Davies
October 17th 03, 06:08 AM
I agree about the collar. A cat from opposite used to visit my house wore a
leather collar. I detached it and put it into the neighbour's letterbox with
a friendly note saying that an elastic collar would be safer. The next day
the cat turned up wearing the leather collar. What can one do?