PDA

View Full Version : Older cat weird behaviour

Jakes452
November 9th 03, 10:44 PM
We have an older cat been in our family all its life. She is a Calico and
about 18.

Mostly at night she will wander the house making a strange and loud meow
(almost like cats sound when they are mating or fighting). She will stop
meowing when she sees us. Then a few minutes later starts again. I have
seen her in a dark corner meowing like this too...like she is lost.

She will purr after some attention and seems to have an appetite abiet not
as much as when she used to and does seem to be much more picky about what
she will eat. She is also drinking from the toilet lately which she has
never done before (an on one occasion fell in in the middle of the night,
that screech I do recoginize!).

She is deaf now too (this happended slowing after a teeth cleaning...dont
know if related to deafness).

Any thoughts about whats up with her? Is she suffering from some sort of
feline dimensia or alzeihmers?

thanks for any thoughts

Linda Terrell
November 10th 03, 04:26 PM
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:44:28 UTC, "Jakes452" > wrote:

> We have an older cat been in our family all its life. She is a Calico and
> about 18.
>
> Mostly at night she will wander the house making a strange and loud meow
> (almost like cats sound when they are mating or fighting). She will stop
> meowing when she sees us. Then a few minutes later starts again. I have
> seen her in a dark corner meowing like this too...like she is lost.
>
> She will purr after some attention and seems to have an appetite abiet not
> as much as when she used to and does seem to be much more picky about what
> she will eat. She is also drinking from the toilet lately which she has
> never done before (an on one occasion fell in in the middle of the night,
> that screech I do recoginize!).
>
> She is deaf now too (this happended slowing after a teeth cleaning...dont
> know if related to deafness).
>
> Any thoughts about whats up with her? Is she suffering from some sort of
> feline dimensia or alzeihmers?
>
> thanks for any thoughts

Take her tio a Vet now!

Her pacing and yelling could be a sign of a bad tooth.
An infected sinus.

I lost a cat to that because I didn't ping on it quickly
enough (this was back in 1988).

LT

Linda Terrell
November 10th 03, 04:26 PM
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:44:28 UTC, "Jakes452" > wrote:

> We have an older cat been in our family all its life. She is a Calico and
> about 18.
>
> Mostly at night she will wander the house making a strange and loud meow
> (almost like cats sound when they are mating or fighting). She will stop
> meowing when she sees us. Then a few minutes later starts again. I have
> seen her in a dark corner meowing like this too...like she is lost.
>
> She will purr after some attention and seems to have an appetite abiet not
> as much as when she used to and does seem to be much more picky about what
> she will eat. She is also drinking from the toilet lately which she has
> never done before (an on one occasion fell in in the middle of the night,
> that screech I do recoginize!).
>
> She is deaf now too (this happended slowing after a teeth cleaning...dont
> know if related to deafness).
>
> Any thoughts about whats up with her? Is she suffering from some sort of
> feline dimensia or alzeihmers?
>
> thanks for any thoughts

Take her tio a Vet now!

Her pacing and yelling could be a sign of a bad tooth.
An infected sinus.

I lost a cat to that because I didn't ping on it quickly
enough (this was back in 1988).

LT

Bob Brenchley.
November 11th 03, 12:04 AM
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:26:28 GMT, "Linda Terrell"
> wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:44:28 UTC, "Jakes452" > wrote:
>
>> We have an older cat been in our family all its life. She is a Calico and
>> about 18.
>>
>> Mostly at night she will wander the house making a strange and loud meow
>> (almost like cats sound when they are mating or fighting). She will stop
>> meowing when she sees us. Then a few minutes later starts again. I have
>> seen her in a dark corner meowing like this too...like she is lost.
>>
>> She will purr after some attention and seems to have an appetite abiet not
>> as much as when she used to and does seem to be much more picky about what
>> she will eat. She is also drinking from the toilet lately which she has
>> never done before (an on one occasion fell in in the middle of the night,
>> that screech I do recoginize!).
>>
>> She is deaf now too (this happended slowing after a teeth cleaning...dont
>> know if related to deafness).
>>
>> Any thoughts about whats up with her? Is she suffering from some sort of
>> feline dimensia or alzeihmers?
>>
>> thanks for any thoughts
>

>Take her tio a Vet now!
>
>Her pacing and yelling could be a sign of a bad tooth.
>An infected sinus.
>
>I lost a cat to that because I didn't ping on it quickly
>enough (this was back in 1988).
>
>LT

I agree with you, it is always best to check with a vet.

The last cat I had do this it was traced to a hearing problem which
was treated by a minor op to relieve pressure in the inner ear.

--
Bob.

Cat's motto: No matter what you've done wrong, always try to make it
look like the dog did it.