PDA

View Full Version : Burmese Cats

Alan Hannas
December 10th 03, 10:56 PM
Twenty-five years ago bought a sable burmese cat (from a less than
reputable dealer - but that's another story). Never-the-less, the cat
proved to be wonderful, very good with my young children and very well
behaved.

I just took my 13y/o Siamese to the vet today and she was put down.
I'f like to buy a burmese this time but they are very hard to find.
I've found a few breeders with WEB pages who seem to be breeding show
cats. I suspect the prices are quite high and I've no interest in
showing.

Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Alan

MaryL
December 11th 03, 03:45 PM
"Alan Hannas" > wrote in message
> .
>
> I just took my 13y/o Siamese to the vet today and she was put down.
> I'f like to buy a burmese this time but they are very hard to find.
> I've found a few breeders with WEB pages who seem to be breeding show
> cats. I suspect the prices are quite high and I've no interest in
> showing.
>
> Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
>
> Alan

I don't know where you live, but please consider adopting a cat from a
shelter or rescue group. You would save the life of a cat and could find a
wonderful pet that way. You could begin your search by looking at cats on
www.petfinder.com, or you could specifically contact one of the Burmese
rescue/rehoming groups. Here is one link:

http://www.netpets.com/cats/catresc/groups/catburm.html

MaryL

MaryL
December 11th 03, 03:45 PM
"Alan Hannas" > wrote in message
> .
>
> I just took my 13y/o Siamese to the vet today and she was put down.
> I'f like to buy a burmese this time but they are very hard to find.
> I've found a few breeders with WEB pages who seem to be breeding show
> cats. I suspect the prices are quite high and I've no interest in
> showing.
>
> Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
>
> Alan

I don't know where you live, but please consider adopting a cat from a
shelter or rescue group. You would save the life of a cat and could find a
wonderful pet that way. You could begin your search by looking at cats on
www.petfinder.com, or you could specifically contact one of the Burmese
rescue/rehoming groups. Here is one link:

http://www.netpets.com/cats/catresc/groups/catburm.html

MaryL

Alan Sandoval
December 12th 03, 06:34 AM
"> >
> > Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> > moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> > are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> > no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Rescue is the only way to go. With countless cats up for adoption it's
unimaginable that anyone would actually pay for a bred feline. I guess if
you want a cat for show, ok, but, well, I have issues with that too.

Willow is sitting on my lap right now, she spent months at the no-kill
shelter before I brought her home. It took her about a year to figure out
this place was actually her home and she wasn't going back to a cage.

Nothing self-righteous about it, but there is a certain satisfaction in
having taken an orphan animal into my care.

Just my thoughts

Alan Sandoval
December 12th 03, 06:34 AM
"> >
> > Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> > moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> > are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> > no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks

Rescue is the only way to go. With countless cats up for adoption it's
unimaginable that anyone would actually pay for a bred feline. I guess if
you want a cat for show, ok, but, well, I have issues with that too.

Willow is sitting on my lap right now, she spent months at the no-kill
shelter before I brought her home. It took her about a year to figure out
this place was actually her home and she wasn't going back to a cage.

Nothing self-righteous about it, but there is a certain satisfaction in
having taken an orphan animal into my care.

Just my thoughts

MaryL
December 12th 03, 12:52 PM
"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message

> "> >
> > > Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> > > moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> > > are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> > > no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
> > >
> Rescue is the only way to go. With countless cats up for adoption it's
> unimaginable that anyone would actually pay for a bred feline.

Yes, I agree with this ... just pointing out that your message is probably
intended for the OP and not for me.

MaryL

MaryL
December 12th 03, 12:52 PM
"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message

> "> >
> > > Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> > > moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> > > are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> > > no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
> > >
> Rescue is the only way to go. With countless cats up for adoption it's
> unimaginable that anyone would actually pay for a bred feline.

Yes, I agree with this ... just pointing out that your message is probably
intended for the OP and not for me.

MaryL

Joe Pitt
December 12th 03, 09:34 PM
I agree about the rescue groups. I just place 2 purebred 3 yr. old Tonkinese
whose owner had a stroke. We also had 2 Persians we got from a breeder
becaue they weren't 'perfect'. Wonderful personalities, but not cosmetically
right. Search on petfinder.com for the breed. We put our animals on it. Good
Luck.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message

> "> >
> > > Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> > > moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> > > are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> > > no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
> > >
> Rescue is the only way to go. With countless cats up for adoption it's
> unimaginable that anyone would actually pay for a bred feline. I guess if
> you want a cat for show, ok, but, well, I have issues with that too.
>
> Willow is sitting on my lap right now, she spent months at the no-kill
> shelter before I brought her home. It took her about a year to figure out
> this place was actually her home and she wasn't going back to a cage.
>
> Nothing self-righteous about it, but there is a certain satisfaction in
> having taken an orphan animal into my care.
>
> Just my thoughts

News==----
Newsgroups
=---

Joe Pitt
December 12th 03, 09:34 PM
I agree about the rescue groups. I just place 2 purebred 3 yr. old Tonkinese
whose owner had a stroke. We also had 2 Persians we got from a breeder
becaue they weren't 'perfect'. Wonderful personalities, but not cosmetically
right. Search on petfinder.com for the breed. We put our animals on it. Good
Luck.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm
Cat Rescue http://www.animalrescuefoundation.com
God created the cat so man could have the pleasure of petting the tiger

"Alan Sandoval" > wrote in message

> "> >
> > > Does anyone know where I could begin to look for a burmese in a
> > > moderate price range. (Moderate to me means less than $150) There
> > > are 3 or 4 breeders of Siamese within reasonable driving distance but
> > > no burmese. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks
> > >
> Rescue is the only way to go. With countless cats up for adoption it's
> unimaginable that anyone would actually pay for a bred feline. I guess if
> you want a cat for show, ok, but, well, I have issues with that too.
>
> Willow is sitting on my lap right now, she spent months at the no-kill
> shelter before I brought her home. It took her about a year to figure out
> this place was actually her home and she wasn't going back to a cage.
>
> Nothing self-righteous about it, but there is a certain satisfaction in
> having taken an orphan animal into my care.
>
> Just my thoughts

News==----
Newsgroups